SASS Wire Forum

A good gun cabinet?

Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

Do any pards have insight into commercially-available gun cabinets; i.e. locking cabinets that provide a reasonable degree of security against kids, grandkids, and visitors, but that do not amount to safes?

Doing some remodeling and changing some configurations in the place and I'd like something like that on an upper floor. It wouldn't be burglar-proof like a safe (and heavy), but it'd otherwise keep the guns safe from rummagers....

I just installed a Stackon gbc908 in a narrow front hall closet (21wx10dx55h) holding 8 guns. It is pretty tight but fills the bill for my CAS and protects from the curious fingers of toddlers. Cost was about $120 at a local sports shop. Fairly well made but minor dents thru the packing container (ships assembled). I was constrained by the closed depth or would have chosen a bigger cabinet. Anyway, the StackOn is a suitable low end safety cabinet--and in my case also locked behind an old thick closet door.

I have two safes and a stack-on. The stack-on's are pretty hard to beat. Get them about anyplace, they work well at a good price point.

Regards,

Ringer

Stackon is good for the money. As mentioned, it will not keep out the professional thief, BUT! it will stop the casual break-in thief. I also have a braided stainless steel wire rope that I can wrap around it for additional lockup if I want. Given enough time and the right tools, even high quality safe can be breached by cutting through the sides. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1246123/Determined-thieves-use-power-tools-steal-1m-pharma-drugs.html)

I'm a fan of the Stack On cabinet that recesses into the drywall between two studs. It holds two long guns and two pistols comfortably to keep things handy and away from the kids upstairs while the real safe is downstairs. Put it behind your bedroom door so when the door is open and people come in the room, it's not visible.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-IWC-55-Full-Length-In-Wall-Cabinet/dp/B002TOKR6W

Archived