SASS Wire Forum

"For Christ’s sake men—come on! Do you want to live forever?"

McCandless

Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph “Dan” Daly was a United States Marine and one of only nineteen men (including seven Marines) to have received the Medal of Honor twice. Of the Marines who are double recipients, only Daly and Major General Smedley Butler received their Medals of Honor in two, separate conflicts...

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/for-christs-sake-men-come-on-do-you-want-to-live-forever-mowed-down-a-200-man-attack-by-himself-with-a-machinegun.html

Howdy

Two is amazing.

That must be the only medal my nephew doesn't have.

and I much prefer it stay that way.....Well he don't have the purple heart

at least not that I know......

Best

CR

Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph “Dan” Daly was a United States Marine and one of only nineteen men (including seven Marines) to have received the Medal of Honor twice. Of the Marines who are double recipients, only Daly and Major General Smedley Butler received their Medals of Honor in two, separate conflicts...[/size]

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/for-christs-sake-men-come-on-do-you-want-to-live-forever-mowed-down-a-200-man-attack-by-himself-with-a-machinegun.html[/size]

NOT to take anything away from these bona fide heroes, keep in mind, there were virtually no other medals for valor at the time these men won two Medals. Under today's criteria, one of the awards would probably have been a DSC.

NOT to take anything away from these bona fide heroes, keep in mind, there were virtually no other medals for valor at the time these men won two Medals. Under today's criteria, one of the awards would probably have been a DSC.

Under todays criteria you can't be awarded two, so guaranteed the second one would have to be downgraded.

Archived