SASS Wire Forum

Uberti .357 revolver question

Pulp, SASS#28319

Yes. The question is how many heavy loads does it take to expidite the wear on a gun. I decided not to buy the Cadillac of .357s, a Colt Python, last week because of how wear affects parts that can no longer be found. One can shoot .357s in a Smith Model 19/66 K-frame but it will not stand up to such abuse as the larger 586/686.

I asked pretty much the same question not long ago in another topic. Responses were a bit varied, however, I came to the conclusion, in my mind anyway, that it's probably not a real red hot idea....they're made in Italy and my belief is that their weapons are not to the same standards in metallurgy and other materials, manufacturing (including quality control, fit and finish, reliability, etc. as US-made weapons. Why not just use a US-made weapon purpose-made to fire powerful, high-velocity loads? I won't fire .357mag in any of my Italian clones, or ".357" Colt Model P's (why risk it?). I think if you fire .357 in these firearms, that in short order, they'll fatigue, stretch or otherwise loosen up. My opinion, anyway.

Archived