SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '66 problem

4 Mile Drifter

Let me preface this by saying I don't know much about repairing long guns. About 2 years ago i bought a used Uberti '66 from a pard in NC. It's got a short stroke kit, aluminum carrier and light springs. It worked great for a year then I had to stop shooting for about a year. The gun was stored in a case (unloaded of course) and when I wanted to practice before shooting a match again I loaded it with .38 Snap Caps. I'd done this many times before and the gun worked flawlessly with the Snap Caps and live ammo. Now the first Cap "shoots" and ejects but then the next Cap jams in the carrier - gets in the carrier kind of sideways. I've pulled all the Snap Caps out and reloaded multiple times using different Caps but the same thing continues to happen. Unfortunately the club I now shoot with doesn't have a gunsmith in the club and neither of the local gunsmiths are really experts with CAS type rifles.

I was hoping one of you more knowledgeable pards could suggest what I need to replace so I'll at least be able to converse with the gunsmiths nearby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4 Mile Drifter

Yep, cycle the gun with your loaded ammo you intend to use. 66s are very sensitive to ammo that is too short to fill up the carrier properly. And of course, ammo can be too long to cycle, as well. But, looking down the carrier shaft as you work the lever will let you spot those problems quickly.

Check the loading gate that you have not bent or broken the shell stop (tab) off the inside front edge, as that is what stops the cartridge from sliding back into the action of the gun.

Then follow this article if you still have a problem with the cartridge sitting with the rim cocked over to the right side of the gun and the carrier won't rise up as you try to work the lever - it's a common problem that Uberti toggle link lever guns had for many years called an "improperly beveled loading gate mortise"

http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix.htm

A little filing to smooth out the bevel on an important part of the frame of the gun (73 or 66 or Henry) can make all the difference.

Good luck, GJ

My thoughts only..

The rifle worked fine when you stopped shooting it??

You Left it sit a year..

Same rifle, same ammo, same dummy rounds??

Clean the magazine tube would be the first thing I'd check..

I'd be Thinkin' some rust and goop built up and is locking up proper feeding of your dummies and ammo..

Pull all that stuff out of there and give it a good cleaning.. :)

Rance ;)

I ain't a GUNSMITH!! :)

My thoughts only..

The rifle worked fine when you stopped shooting it??

You Left it sit a year..

Same rifle, same ammo, same dummy rounds??

Clean the magazine tube would be the first thing I'd check..

I'd be Thinkin' some rust and goop built up and is locking up proper feeding of your dummies and ammo..

Pull all that stuff out of there and give it a good cleaning.. :)

Rance ;)

I ain't a GUNSMITH!! :)

+1

Uberti uses the same magazine on 45 and 38 rifles so the 38s do not come out as straight as the 45s do. I would think some dirt or rust would make the problem worse

I have decided that there is an evil demon that moves from rifle to rifle effecting the operation of 66s and 73s. It will come without notice and cause a good shooting rifle to become inoperative and defy anyone to locate the problem and just as rapidly move on to another gun in another gun safe in another city.

Good luck.

4 Mile Drifter..

Just wondering what ya found out on yer '66 malfunction...

It's always helpful to other shooters to also know the remedy

To some malfunctions..

Rance ;)

Just thinkin :(

Rance, thanks for following up and thanks to rest of y'all for your suggestions. I had a horse problem that took a couple of days and some big vet bills to sort out so the '66 kind of took a back seat. I'm gonna try the easier things - load with real ammo and cycle and clean the mag tube and see if those work. I've checked the loading gate tab and it seems fine so if the easy stuff doesn't fix it and it requires "filing" I'll probably take it to a match and see if i can find somebody local who knows how to deal with the "evil demon" currently inhabiting the gun.

4 Mile

Burn saltpeter, sulfur and charcoal in it and that may help.

Archived