SASS Wire Forum

What's right and fair?

Wyatt

Well there is a difference to "all I want " and what Extras may be thrown in. So I have learned to deal with the extras. I realize that most shooters want more so the TOs are in a set pattern. So I just work with it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I want from a TO is to start the clock and make sure the last round is recorded. Other than that I want them to have fun. Some shooters expect the TO to carry too much weight for Their stage. That tends to wear out the TO. If it feels like work then they have been holding it too long and need a break. I've never had a TO I couldn't work with but I do prefer some over others.

Have a few shooters tell me that.

Have also held the timer and watches them crash while I could have possible saved them.

Then after. They ask. Why didn't you say something.

Well. You told me not to. :o

For the most part. A good TO will know the ones that need help, and those that don't.

All I want from a TO is to start the clock and make sure the last round is recorded. Other than that I want them to have fun. Some shooters expect the TO to carry too much weight for Their stage. That tends to wear out the TO. If it feels like work then they have been holding it too long and need a break. I've never had a TO I couldn't work with but I do prefer some over others.

Then, a TO should never hold the timer like this. Always have the display facing you, not the shooter. That way, when the shooter gets to the last gun, you can verify before the last shot that the shots are recording.

11072697_10204045895257197_4388825000741

Then, a TO should never hold the timer like this. Always have the display facing you, not the shooter. That way, when the shooter gets to the last gun, you can verify before the last shot that the shots are recording.

11072697_10204045895257197_4388825000741

+1

AND.......have the beeper and recording side facing the action, NOT the palm of their hand.

A couple years ago, I advised a TO (at a big match) that I was deaf and needed the 'beep' in my left ear. He acknowledged.

Then he proceeded to beep me with the beeper side of the timer pressing against his palm. How did I know this?

Because when I didn't move for a few seconds, he told me he 'beeped' me. I looked at the timer and sure enough, the beeper side was against his palm. I told him he needed to keep the beeper side facing my ear, not his palm. He stated... "I know how to run a time". SURE!

..........Widder

Have a few shooters tell me that.

Have also held the timer and watches them crash while I could have possible saved them.

Then after. They ask. Why didn't you say something.

Well. You told me not to. :o

For the most part. A good TO will know the ones that need help, and those that don't.

I can assure you Al I have never asked a TO "why didn't you" ever. From day one I've been comfortable with hanging myself. After all it's My score not Ours. And you are right a good TO can assess a shooter and know how involved they need to be.

I agree Most Wanted.

I had a GOOD 'TO' apologize to me once for not stopping me in time from drawing and cocking my pistols when I was suppose to MOVE to another position and THEN draw and cock my pistols. Of course, I fired from the wrong position and EARNED a 'P'.

Anyhow, I told him that it wasn't his fault nor did I expect him to coach me cause I knew better. I earned that 'P' and that there are plenty more of them (P's) out there for all of us to earn sooner or later. Yep, thats what I told him.

..........Widder

Archived