SASS Wire Forum

Grip size for 1872 open tops

Johnny Dollar

Hi all! I have a pair of Uberti 1872 open tops that I'd like to get a pair of ivory looking grips. The only place I can find that actually says its for the 1872 is Tombstone grips. Good prices but he says it will take 3 to 4 months and I have no patience.... :)

So the question is are they close to other grip frames that's easier to find? These are one piece by the way.

Thanks!

-JD

Well, I can't help you with your "patience" but, the grip frame and trigger guard for the 1872 Open Top is the same as the Grip Frame and Trigger Guard for the Model P, or '73 or Navy or Army (depending). The 1871/72 Open Top is delivered with either the "Navy" or SAA style or with the 1960 Army Style. Now the good part. There are NO grips, from ANYONE that just "slip-on." They ALL have to be fit.

The gripmaker can supply you with a "kit" based on a tracing of your grip frame, you glue it together and final fit it, or, you send in your grip frame and trigger guard and they fit it for you. Either way, it has to be fit. None of the grips, once fit to one gun, will fit well to any other gun.

So settle in and plan to wait for the grips of your dreams. Just the way it is.

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker, thanks much for the info! That helps..... Mine has the 1860 steel frame. I'm perfectly fine with the fitting part. I typically tinkering with things anyway.

"Western and Wildlife Wonders"

Used to have add CC

Made some first class ivories for my little stack-barrel gun ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived