SASS Wire Forum

Yummy - Yummy My Butt is Looking Good

Big Sarge

Supper is going to be good at my house tonight. I have a butt with a new rub, homemade cole slaw, and baked baccon & molasses beans! I'm departing from my traditional brown sugar based rub and went with a mustard/honey/red pepper rub. Thought it might be worth a try. Also, I'm using Red Apple beer in the drip pan.

What type of butt rubs are you using?

Butt%201.jpg

I made a glue from 1 part yellow mustard to 2 parts honey. Painted it on liberally and then doused it with "Bucktown Brown Mustard & Honey Rub". Ingredients are:
Kosher salt, honey powder, crushed brown mustard, turmeric, granulated onion, granulated garlic, black pepper, cumin, coriander.

I added red pepper and a little cayenne to give it some kick.

I make a rub of chili powder, brown sugar, garlic, cider vinegar and cayenne.

Sounds mighty good UB. I'm going to use a vinegar/molasses/tomato sauce when I chop it up. I'm curious to what type of sauce you use out that way?? BTW, have you ever tried a Mayonnaise based sauce?

Thanks!

A mayo based BBQ sauce? Is that for during cooking or for after?

You can use it both ways. Folks around here call it a "white sauce" or "Alabama sauce". It's pretty ggod for chicken and pork if you want to try something different.

512ubnQAxBL._SY300_.jpg

I can just see the Texas purists clutching their hearts over the thought of a Mayo based BBQ sauce.

Those Texas folks don't know what good BBQ sause tastes like. I've seen their tomato based sauces with a bunch of chilis thrown in. How can you make BBQ sauce without vinegar???

Being a Kajun I have to recommend a Kajun butt rub......here is what I used....clear's things right up! :D :D

Kajun

Kajun - I've probably smeared a wash tub of that on my young' uns over the years. Even used it for myself when the Government kept sending on vacations to the big sandy beach w/o water. Good stuff

Sounds mighty good UB. I'm going to use a vinegar/molasses/tomato sauce when I chop it up. I'm curious to what type of sauce you use out that way?? BTW, have you ever tried a Mayonnaise based sauce?

Sound like it might put me over my calorie limit. :D

Sauces around here tend to be Mex influenced. I do whatever suits my mood. Sometimes spicy pepper sauce,msometimes bourbon Kentucky type. Sometimes none at all.

Archived