SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifle Side Matches and Muzzle Velocity?

Dapper Dynamite Dick

Here I am at Winter Range having the time of my life! I am having a great time so far, 2 days and 8 clean stages so far. Last night the side match awards were given out and I was lucky enough to take 3rd in Wild Bunch Long Range Military Bolt Action Rifle, I also shot the Bucky O'Neill Competition but wasn't as lucky.

Down to the question I have, when I first decided to shoot the long range side matches this year and read the requirements for Winter Range, I looked to the Shooters Handbook for guidance in ammunition. According to the book the maximum velocity for rifle is 1,400 fps. I did note that it did not specify either main match rifles and long range rifles. So I worked up a load for my long range rifle that came in at 1,392 fps. On the 100 yards targets we had no problem hearing the hits on the steel but out at 200 yds the sound of the impact was almost unheard with the amount of background noise. I'm a little concerned that there were suggestions were made that next year the targets might reach out to 300 yds . Since there is nothing listed under long range requirements regarding maximum muzzle velocity, can I exceed the 1,400 ceiling for main match rifles with my long range rifle in the future?

If you look on page 12 of the Shooter's Handbook, it says that long range rifles are exempt from the velocity limit. I load my 30 30 to around 1800, and that will ring steel at 400 yrs, the 3855 to around 1600which will ring steel at 900 yds..

I load my 30 30 to around 1800, and that will ring steel at 400 yrs,
the 38-55 to around 1600 which will ring steel at 900 yds

That's a long distance for a 30-30 & 38-55 ...what's the size of the targets? Especially when the longest WR match is only 300 yds!

http://winterrange.com/longrange.html

Now that's ya's retired maybe ya'll should learn to read .....

See ya shooting this year ,,, still can't figure what SHE sees in you...

Jabez Cowboy

My loads are 1400 fps for 38-55 with smokeless.

About 2000 fps for the Krag with 210 gr lead bullets duplicating the military velocity. That way you can use the original sights.

I use a gas check 170gr Lasercast in the 30 30, and their 240gr in the 3855. Their lead mine

up in the mtns above Baker OR has silver in it, so the bullets are harder, and do not lead up the bore. For some reason, I cannot get their 165gr flat base bullet to hit a target as consistently as the 170 gr gas check . I got a gas check installer from Lee, and it also sizes the bullet to .309. their 240 gr 3855 bullet is available in .377 and .380 diameters,so you need to know the barrel size.

Archived