SASS Wire Forum

Gotta love a small town

I always thought "horse thief" meant someone who steals horses, not a horse who extorts produce from the local merchants.

"That's a real nice flower bed you got there. Be a shame if something was to happen to it."

Yep. They aint dumb! Got a dog in the neighborhood that knows there's treats at Slim's house.

Growing up we had a quarter share in a couple of dogs. They belonged to a couple of different neighbors but always knew what time supper was and since we would eat out on the deck in good weather they had a habit of visiting about then and then staying till it was time to head on to the next house.

You know you live in a small town when an Amish boy returning from a courting adventure at 10;30 at night is busted by the local cops for running a stop sign, The cops said he did not bring the buggy to a complete stop at a stop sign. The boy said he tried to stop but the horse knew he was going home and didn't want to stop. All charges were dropped and the young cop left town in a hail of ridicule.

I lived in Nappanee, Indiana for a while. I would be cleaning fish and the Amish would see me, stop, tie horse to stop sign post and come up. We would talk hunting and fishing for an hour while the family or date sat in the buggy. Or I would be cleaning my guns in the garage. Look up and an officer would be parked the wrong way in the street watching me. I'd wave and they would either wave back and drive away or come up and sit a spell.

Archived