SASS Wire Forum

Modern v CAS

Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461

Well Thanks to all who responded.....I scratched the itch and 2 Consecutive SAA's in 45, 5.5"bbls, color case, etc will be here next 2wed!!! :) !

Now to fund them.....HA!!!! I know what you mean about 3 gun.... there's days making it to work and back wears me out!!! :blink: This from an old IPSC shooter ... run and gun to the max, now it's slow and easy

and I hate picking up brass!

Thanks pards.......................

Colts? Brand new? Where did you come by those? Now I'm jealous haha

Yup Colts brand new , don't ask what i paid because they weren't a bargain by any means but there aren't any coming thru any distributors pipeline. These were special ordered by a gent who decided to make some profit on his wait, which is / was fine by me.

They cost what they cost. Congrats! Pics please.

I, too, have been moving away from modern guns and towards cowboy guns. The best thing CAS ever did for me was introduce me to those kinds of guns. If I never shot another match I still enjoy a shooting lever action 45 Colt way more than any other semiauto or full auto rifle I ever shot. There's no looking back for me. I'll hang on to an AR or two....just in case, but my black rifle and semiauto pistol days are fading quickly. I'll keep most of the ones I have but I don't see any new ones on the horizon until my cowboy gun wish list is satisfied. I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of time and a bunch of cash to whittle that wish list down enough to start looking at modern guns again. I don't see it happening any time soon.

I buy guns to use them..not as hangars or investments. I may be in the minority though.

I sorta want an AR...have a 22lr version...but sold my 22 pistols as I don't shoot them..would rather shoot my rugers or 686.

The rossi 92 is as much or more fun than the 'AR' i have .. and loading 38 is easier I think than 223.

Enjoy your new pistols!

Even if you paid more than MSRP, you don't have to wait 2 years or longer. I an't wait to see the pictures, the description already sounds awesome and I'm sure I am going to be jealous once I see the pictures. Congrats!

I am gravitating to the Old school stuff now as well. I have a few Ar's (pistol and rifle) and many semi auto handguns. One of my first firearm purchases about 10 years ago was a Ruger single six convertible. It is semi old school in that it is single action and resembles an old west gun in some ways. I also have a Henry H001L (carbine with large loop). I bought that about 9 years ago. Many guns have come and gone in that time but I always held on to those two. The past three years or so I really got into the tactical craze. All kinds of Ar's and semi pistols with bolt ons for them. I do enjoy shooting them very much. They definitely have their place and my cary gun is a Springfield XD sc. Nice capacity in a small package, decent accuracy and has been 100% reliable. I like the firepower (round capacity) of these and will always keep them for the Zombies...lol.

But while I enjoy these firearms, there is a kicker. They have no "soul" in a way to me. Pick up a polymer frame pistol and then a SAA or whatever flavor of western gun revolver. There is just no comparison in the desire and pleasure of the "older" guns. Even when I was full in on the tactical craze, I always had a part of me enjoying and thinking of the old western stuff. That leads me to finding this forum. Last week I got the bug to get a centerfire single action revolver. After some research and cruising of all the local firearm stores. Luckily I have contacts in a few as I handle networks, phone systems and surveillance systems in a few of them. I wanted either a Ruger Vaquero or Uberti Cattleman. Looking at the two, the Uberti just appealed to me more. Between the finish, feel and just the action. Bruce at Renaissance Firearms hooked me up with and El'Patron 4.75 in 357. Absolutely love it. Shoots directly point of aim at 10 yards. Little different then what I am used to as I set my sights up to shoot pumpkin on post. But man what a nice shooter. Havent got more then a box of 50 through it so far as we have been getting dumped on with snow. After this weekends storm we may be close to 4 feet in the past two weeks. I have gone through and cleaned and lubed it as I wanted. And just simply been fondling it all weekend. It has really captured my heart in a way no other firearm I have ever purchased.

I would not trade in any of my semi pistols or Ar's right now. Only due to the fact that value is way down on them currently. All of the shops around here are dripping with them. Some are not even taking any in trades as they have so many. Like others have said, if you want to sell it, wait if you can. There assuredly will be another ban craze and at that time their value will go through the roof. Nothing that I can for see will change the value drastically of the old western guns. yes they creep up due to just becoming rarer or more scarce. But there will not be any government ban craze that will affect them in the way Black rifles will.

Anyways. Yes I for one have very much enjoyed CAS type firearms as well as Modern. I don't think I will go exclusively to one side or the other. Modern weapons definitely have their place. Their place to me is about 25% fun to shoot and 75% as a defensive tool. Where as the CAS style is probably 10% tool and 90% enjoyment as in pride of ownership and enjoyment to shoot.

Archived