SASS Wire Forum

Amazing! and WOW!

Subdeacon Joe

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/16/31-rolls-undeveloped-film-soldier-wwii-discovered-processed/

Photographer Levi Bettweiser is the man behind the Rescued Film Project, an effort to find and rescue old and undeveloped rolls of film from the far corners of the world.

He recently came across one of his biggest finds so far: 31 undeveloped rolls of film shot by a single soldier during World War II.

Bettweiser tells us he found the film rolls in late 2014 at an auction in Ohio. About half the rolls were labeled with various location names (i.e. Boston Harbor, Lucky Strike Beach, LaHavre Harbor). “I know nothing about who shot the film or who it belonged to,” he says.

http://www.rescuedfilm.com/#!rescuedwwii

I was just about to post that link. Saw it a couple hours ago, thanks. Fascinating.

Moving. Snapshots of real LIFE at moments in time.

I would like to see the whole collection!

I've developed many old rolls of exposed black and white film. The oldest was a roll marked with the name of an amusement park that clised 40 years earlier. It takes a lot of effort to produce good quality prints from some of these films, primarily bvecause the original picture taker usually did not understand how to properly expose their film. The local historical association had hundreds of 8x10s I've printed from old negatives I've developed or they had. My favorites were the street views from the early 1900s that came as 3.5 x 5.5 inch negatives originally designed for contact printing post cards.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about old rolls of cold film. I think maybe 1 in 10 rolls of c22 film actually yielded anything printable. C41 was even worse after 10+ years.

I kind of miss doing wet darkroom work. Todays scanners and photoshop take all the challenge out of the printmaking process. The film developing process isn't that challenging, and really can't be called fun.

Archived