SASS Wire Forum

US CENTCOM Hacked

Big Sarge

I could say lots of blankety - blank words right now, but I won't because I am already on Allie Mo's naughty list. The youtube channel for US Central Command has been hacked by the "CyberCaliphate" which is tied to ISIS. They have started posting ISIS videos. We have some of the most advanced cyber warfare units in the world. Why in the blankety-blank do we not shut down this channel?? Arghh. I need to take some more blood pressure medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/user/centcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNmoH6muHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPCb4M0lqlA

I'd guess someone forgot to keep up with patches on their Windows servers.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 14, 2015 - Political, homophobic, insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 14, 2015 - Political, homophobic, insult

Because barry the fairy wants them there

Not really sure why CENTCOM needs a Youtube channel anyway.

:wacko:

It's been shut down. Should have only taken them a few seconds to do it. Pretty sloppy.

Pacific Command has a You Tube also - nothing wrong with sharing some of what they do - I imagine there isn't any secret or classified info shared :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/USPacificCommand

GG ~ :FlagAm:

They could put up a very secure website on their own instead of relying on the Swiss cheese security of Youtube and Twitter.

This obsession with tooting one's own horn is a trend I've seen developing in the military over the past 10-15 years.

I don't think it's particularly beneficial and would like to see them take it down a notch.

They could put up a very secure website on their own instead of relying on the Swiss cheese security of Youtube and Twitter.

This obsession with tooting one's own horn is a trend I've seen developing in the military over the past 10-15 years.

I don't think it's particularly beneficial and would like to see them take it down a notch.

It's probably intended to be a recruiting tool. Everybody who's of recruiting age gets their news from Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

It's probably intended to be a recruiting tool. Everybody who's of recruiting age gets their news from Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

There is a Recruiting Command for that. CENTCOM needs to focus on their primary mission in my opinion.

Pretty much.... Yup.

GG

There is a Recruiting Command for that. CENTCOM needs to focus on their primary mission in my opinion.

I would wager they they very much do that UB. Heck, I check where Santa is via NORAD every year...in 2005 when my daughter was sick on Christmas I even emailed them to say she was sick , but still monitoring Santa's whereabouts :) and they sent a responding email wishing for a quick recovery for her.

GG

Social Media is becoming a serious problem for the military. A number of my active duty frinds have shared this with me. Mostly it involves servicemen innocently posting information that ends up being an operational security no no. But there have been some instances of units, in the interest of informing families of goings on, also Tweeting things that give the enemy more info than we want.

In my opinion,they need to back away from this trend and stick to finding and destroying our enemies.

But I'm not even in charge of a latrine so they're going to do what they want. I just wish some real serious thought and oversight would be initiated. The public simply doesn't need to know everything. Sorry if mama can't go to the 501st Regt website and see a pic of young Johnny at his FOB post in Afghanistan but maybe she'll have to wait till he gets home or sends a snail mail.

Social Media is becoming a serious problem for the military. A number of my active duty frinds have shared this with me. Mostly it involves servicemen innocently posting information that ends up being an operational security no no. But there have been some instances of units, in the interest of informing families of goings on, also Tweeting things that give the enemy more info than we want.

In my opinion,they need to back away from this trend and stick to finding and destroying our enemies.

But I'm not even in charge of a latrine so they're going to do what they want. I just wish some real serious thought and oversight would be initiated. The public simply doesn't need to know everything. Sorry if mama can't go to the 501st Regt website and see a pic of young Johnny at his FOB post in Afghanistan but maybe she'll have to wait till he gets home or sends a snail mail.

. I honestly don't think social media like having a Twitter or YouTube account is any big deal. Pretty sure that a lot honest thought went into these things. Can't for see all the things unfortunately. I suppose one just has to learn and improve and move on.I'll have faith that the military knows what it's doing behind the scenes.

You have to be careful about putting too much faith in the military. There's a reason SNAFU is a well known phrase. ;)

You have to be careful about putting too much faith in the military. There's a reason SNAFU is a well known phrase. ;)

Not too much faith - but some faith :) At least as a civilian I'll respect 'em and trust 'em best I can. Y'all who have served obviously can think otherwise. You been there - I haven't :)

That's exactly what Laura Ingraham said on her radio show today! Really, why do they have a Twitter and Facebook accounts anyway? I guess it's to give the people that work there that have nothing to do something to do!! :lol:

That's exactly what Laura Ingraham said on her radio show today! Really, why do they have a Twitter and Facebook accounts anyway? I guess it's to give the people that work there that have nothing to do something to do!! :lol:

http://qz.com/325194/why-does-centcom-even-have-a-twitter-account-for-isis-supporters-to-hack/

I have often said something like that.

But hey, just because we have a ton of information stolen and given away by a mentally defective E4 transvestite and had a few of a theater-level command's computer accounts hacked by cave men, that's no reason to lose confidence...well, maybe...

I have often said something like that.

But hey, just because we have a ton of information stolen and given away by a mentally defective E4 transvestite and had a few of a theater-level command's computer accounts hacked by cave men, that's no reason to lose confidence...well, maybe...

Not to mention missing all the warning signs given off my Major NIdal Hasan.

I asked my nephew in law who is serving as a first lieutenant in the army currently about the Twitter YouTube and Facebook accounts. Told him that I thought it was for public awareness and transparency along with helping to recruit folks...I asked for his thoughts...here's what would he told me:

All of this is my humble opinion but I think you were right on with your thoughts. it's just a way to increase the public's visibility on current issues, operations to a certain extent, etc. many units have Facebook accounts that allow alumni to keep in touch. However with these new information outlets comes new problems... As such the military as a whole continuously works to stay ahead of those issues. But sometimes they fall behind and that's when you have incidents like these. Again all my opinion not official Army policy or anything.

GG

Archived