SASS Wire Forum

Posse size opinons

Cedar Creek Coy

Lets see... one TO, three at the loading table, one unloading, one scribe, three picking and setting...posse of 10 leaves only one to stand around and jaw...no fun lol. I like a bigger posse just for the sake of the jaw-jacking and task sharing, but too big means too much time waiting and not shooting. 15 does seem about right to me

In some locations shooters have to walk to reset all knockdowns. Other locations raise all knock downs with ropes and cables. Speeds up shooting quite a bit and 1-2 spotters can also raise the knockdowns.

Lets see... one TO, three at the loading table, one unloading, one scribe, three picking and setting...posse of 10 leaves only one to stand around and jaw...no fun lol. I like a bigger posse just for the sake of the jaw-jacking and task sharing, but too big means too much time waiting and not shooting. 15 does seem about right to me

Why three on loading table? If only two, then the one extra would have someone to talk too. LOL

You mean you have folks that can hear a conversation with ear protection in? LOL!!! Just kidding.

What ever works depends on how many show up for a match.

Let's do a real count now

3 loading

1 shooting

1 TO

3 spotting

1 unloading shooter

1 unloading table officer( even if rotated to next you have two at the table)

I scorekeeper

That's 11 any fewer your waiting on someone to do something and it will slow down things. No time for a shooter to load stage strips prepare ammo or get the stage ready I. Their head before going to the loading table. You will either feel rushed or things will slow down.

Posse of 7 more or 18 allows for a breather, relief from working, time to grab a snack if you need it or drink something to stay hydrated. With just 11 your rotating out as so as your done unloading no chance to catch your breath after shooting as it take more time to unload sometimes than run a fast shooter through the stage. With 7 extra shooter you got the time to make it enjoyable. With 11 you almost have to run in groups of two or three . Three load up while everyone waits then run those take a break change out the three for three that haven't shot to load run those etc. I rather have 24-28 on one than two posses of 11-12

It is not the size, it is the quality of the posse that is important. A really good quality posse of twelve is great BUT one rotten egg in that dozen can taint the whole day. Sadly to many shooters are not present, except when it is their turn to shoot. Big posses tend to drag on and on, with far to many posse members visiting, entertaining watchers or off watching how the next posse shoots that stage. With big posses it sometimes actually seems like your posses first few shooters spend more time with those on the next stage than they do with their own posse. Perhaps it is time to gate each stage and lock the darn thing behind each posse that enters! When it is time for shooting, shoot and if food and entertainment are needed then vote to include a lunch break into each match.

It is not the size, it is the quality of the posse that is important. A really good quality posse of twelve is great BUT one rotten egg in that dozen can taint the whole day. Sadly to many shooters are not present, except when it is their turn to shoot.

Truer words never written. I always like hearing BlueJeans take on a match as we drive home. She doesn't just come along for the ride or food. She comes to visit with old friends, works on the posse I'm assigned to, (which means one less detail for a posse member) usually as a scorekeeper, but as I see it, also as a Brass Picker, and target re-setter. Not only to help move the posse along, but also because suddenly no one wants to bend down, or move downrange. She does this for matches with 5 stages to 8 stages in a day. Never complains, hides or sits. But she does wonder why the other positions are so hard to provide for, ULTO, LTO, Spotters, and TO duties. And she see those that come to only load, shoot, unload, and disappear untill next stage. As she sees it, its becoming more common and spreading at matches.

We've been to some great clubs were everyone share duties, and I've been to some were even the MD says its always been like this, (people that only want to shoot).

I also remember when I first started CAS, there was only 1 sign up sheet. Posse's were randomly made unless it was family. Each month made new friends, and no one shirked their duties. MT

Dang, it was back in June this year when this topic was last posted and gathered 46 replies. Perhaps we are not as interested this time..... :o

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223614

Good luck, GJ

Archived