SASS Wire Forum

What kind of glue for Ivory?

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

I normally use JB Weld for just about everything exotic that needs gluing. I've found that it doesn't work all that well with ivory though. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need a special glue for ivory. I am referring to real elephant ivory, not imitations.

Does anyone have any info on this?

CA glue

Sam; Good to see you on the wire.....look forward to seeing you in the winter. Hope all is well with you. Sucks getting old....

KK

A friend of mine makes knives for a living. He uses Cyanoacrylate glue (Superglue, Loc-Tite, etc.) when working with ivory.

I have used it myself for stabilizing some cracked pieces of fossil mastodon ivory for a bowie handle, then joining the halves together around the tang of the blade.

It looks like the super-glue types are the best. The ehow site is very informative. Thanks for the info!

Karl, see you in the winter if it gets cold enough up there in the far north to drive you out. (And, what are you comparing geting old to? Not getting old isn't great either.)

CA = cyanoacrylate

CA glue - Suoer Glue is made in three formulas. Thin, medium, and thick.

The thicker the formula the longer the drying time.

I highly recommend that you use both the thick and the thin. The thin is used to coat the broken surface and soak in. Then immediately treat the surface with the thick and mate the surfaces.

The glue can be purchased at most wood carving supply shops.

CA glue - Suoer Glue is made in three formulas. Thin, medium, and thick.

The thicker the formula the longer the drying time.

I highly recommend that you use both the thick and the thin. The thin is used to coat the broken surface and soak in. Then immediately treat the surface with the thick and mate the surfaces.

The glue can be purchased at most wood carving supply shops.

I'm very familiar with CA glues. I used to build and fly RC planes. Used the thin on balsa and the thick on the hard wood spars and tail surfaces. Just don't know if it'll work on that fake ivory like my grips are.

I'm very familiar with CA glues. I used to build and fly RC planes. Used the thin on balsa and the thick on the hard wood spars and tail surfaces. Just don't know if it'll work on that fake ivory like my grips are.

Hot Stuff & stuck fingers ....... ah, the memories :P

Archived