SASS Wire Forum

Old western movies - things that never made sense

Warden Callaway

Hollywood Westerns are sort of like G.I. War Stories: It's not important whether the story is true or not, it's the quality of the story that counts!

Women often faint in Old Westerns. Why don't women faint anymore?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seldom wear corsets,so they can actually breathe?

I rarely wear a corset (I need a ladies maid...); but I did wear one the only time I attended EOT. Look here. http://www.curtrich.com/eot06.html

Also, have you not noticed that many ladies wear corsets to shoot in...

They seldom wear corsets,so they can actually breathe?

short shallow breaths :o

While I'm aware that many of our lady shooters wear corsets, I do wonder if they lace 'em up as much.

There's an old movie - really good romantic comedy - called Remember the Night (1940). Fred MacMurray takes Barbara Stanwyck home to his mother's farm, for Christmas. There is a barn dance, and Fred's aunt dresses Barbara. As she unwraps a box (with the dress packed in a newspaper announcing Theodore Roosevelt is running for President - the 1912 election), and takes out the sachets, she asks Barbara, "How big are you in the waist?"

Barbara says, "About 25, maybe 26".

The old lady makes a scoffing noise, and says, "In MY day, 18 was considered big."

Then she takes a corset out of the box and CINCHES her down.

Now, I figger something that takes eight inches off the waistline just might make a tad hard to breathe. :)

Archived