SASS Wire Forum

Need advise on choosing sights for my new 1885

Skyfall

New to the forum and relatively new to Cowboy Action Shooting ( 8 events) but not new to rifle, shotguns and pistols in general. Much thanks to Phantom and English Bob for the gracious assitance in getting me into the sport.

I recently purchasesd a Uberti 1885 (32 inch) in 45-70 for long range shooting and entering into side matches. I am seeking advise on what are some of the better sights to install on the 1885. It is somewhat confusing sifting through all of the information via google. My budget is in the neigborhood of $400.00 to $600.00 for both front and rear sights. Any detail and reasoning behind your advise will very much be appreciated.

Skyfall

my 1874 came with a blade front and buckhorn rear , i added a longrange creedmore tang sight and have been quite happy , but im considering the combination front with the fine pinhead/blade - it seems the best of both worlds , this is one of those things it would be nice to try before you invest so if you get the chance to take it , these are not cheap items on a not cheap rifle , but well worth the enjoyment you get from the investment ,

i have also considered a longtube scope because my eyes are so bad as to not be able to really get the full value of these expensive iron sights , but im holding back untill ive got no other choices , i like the look but it kills the classic and historical experience for me , i have recently gone to the black side tho with a handmade kentucky rifle so maybe this will begin to appeal more as i get more into the muzzle loading era ,

For long range you will need a Hadley cup. Make sure you get one that matches the threads on your sight.

Front sight with spirit level. Needed because even the slighted cant on the rifle will put point of impact WAY off target when set for long distances.

Read the article here. http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/How_to_use_rear_tang_type_rear_sights_and_insert_type_front_sights.htm explains how to properly use a soule/creedmoor style sight.

This sight has lots of good information. http://www.bpcr.net/

The difference between a serviceable sight and a great sight cannot be seen with the naked eye. The difference is in the quality of machine work with tolerances less than a thousandth of an inch.

I bought an inexpensive sight, used it for a year or so and then invested in an MVA sight iwth Hadley eyecup.

I'd recommend saving your money, getting the MVA sight and not looking back.

Archived