SASS Wire Forum

What Is The Purpose?

Ruff

Morning,

Ii was just surfing Ebay and was looking at a razor and noticed something. The razor has teeth. What is the purpose of them?

!B7j-7E!!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKpIEy+jC5P88BM0ifM4

Here is a picture of what I am talking about?

To keep you from shoving the bare blade down into your skin?

Most plastic razors have a sort of bar just under the blade edge for the same purpose. I suppose that is why they're called safety razors.

Or is that the back of the razor? In that case I got nothing. Beard comb? Lol

I seem to recall those were introduced to give you the "Miami Vice Don Johnson 5 o'clock shadow" look in the 1980's. I think there even was an electric version that allowed you to shave every day and still left a wild stubble.

It seems like the "Miami Vice look" is coming back, based upon the scruffy "celebrities" that show up at the Academy Awards looking like they haven't shaved for days.

Okay, as good as answer as any. I don't shave every day but when I do I want to be clean shaven not scruffy.

It is called an "Open Comb" razor. It makes it a lot easier to shave off a beard or several days growth of heavy stubble.

If you have ever tried to shave off a beard with a closed comb safety razor you know how dificult it can be. Heavy stubble is constantly gettig stuck between the bar and the blade. The open bar design prevents clogging.

Suspect many a cowboy carried one back in the day. Made getting rid of trail stubble a lot easier..

Howdy Dave,

So if I don't shave that often this would be a good razor for me? I know about the razor getting clogged of course I use the disposable razors I pick up at WalMart.

These have been around for years. The "teeth" will help to prevent razor burn.

Here are some reviews.

Bob is correct. I have one from Vietnam that breaks down to about 1.5" by .5". Comes in it's own little zippered case.

Yes it can be. One of the downsides is this style doesn't always shave as close as the more traditional closed bar safety razors do. The bar helps keep your skin taught. It can also be more prone to nicks if not used properly.

I haven't used a blade razor since I retired from the Navy. Had to use one because I had 5 oclock shadow at 1230 if I used an electric.

Since retiring from the navy I have put my WWII era safety razor out to pasture and have taken to using a Norelco rotary. Works well and can be had from wally world on sale for less than $30.00

I found that cream rinse hair conditioner makes an excellent shaving lubricant. Way better than ordinary soap and very inexpensive. Learned that one from an old girlfriend I had long before I met my wife. Claimed that once she started using the cream rinse she never nicked heself again.

A few of websites to check out if you are interested in more traditional razors and the art of shaving: Be forewarned some high quality razors can cost as much a one of your shootn irons

West Coast Shaving http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

The Shave Den http://theshaveden.com/forums/portal/

Badger and Blade http://badgerandblade.com/.

I seem to recall those were introduced to give you the "Miami Vice Don Johnson 5 o'clock shadow" look in the 1980's. I think there even was an electric version that allowed you to shave every day and still left a wild stubble.

It seems like the "Miami Vice look" is coming back, based upon the scruffy "celebrities" that show up at the Academy Awards looking like they haven't shaved for days.

My granddad never herd of Miami Vice when he bought his german made safety razor on about 1920. It had teeth on it, too.

Archived