SASS Wire Forum

Court: Cops can't stop drivers based on the color of their cars

Ruff

Ok, not sure what to think on this one.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/court--cops-can-t-stop-drivers-based-on-the-color-of-their-cars-150712164.html

The fine details about what constitutes probable cause in traffic stops has come up numerous times before; it's a guiding principle in DUI roadblocks, where police must either randomly stop vehicles or pause every one. Don't be surprised if the Supreme Court itself has to weigh in someday soon on whether motorists can be considered suspicious simply for the color of their rides.

Vehicle color being different from the registration information is an indicator of the vehicle being stolen. It's very common for car thieves to switch the stolen license plate with a similar vehicle to avoid getting stopped. That's Car Theft 101. Now what happened after the VIN was matched to the tag registration information, is another discussion.

The thing is I am in FL, I can't remember any other state I have ever registered a vehicle in specifically asking the vehicle color when you register.

Thanks for that info Billy. I have only registered vehicles in CA, KS and FL. I know the article stated that you had to notify DMV but no penalties..

Howdy,

I and some friends have owned red and red-orange cars and cops seem to love

pulling over those colors. I was pulled over twice in my red-orange Camaro and

given a 'talkin to' but no ticket....

Friends call it 'arrest me red'.

Cant speak about other bright colors...no reds for me anymore.

I had the Camaro 17 years and never ticketed while driving it.

Just extra cautious in that car. Drive a minivan any which way, never pulled over.

Best

CR

Thanks for that info Billy. I have only registered vehicles in CA, KS and FL. I know the article stated that you had to notify DMV but no penalties..

Where did it say that?

I saw this>The color discrepancy here is not “inherently suspicious” or “unusual” enough or so “out of the ordinary” as to provide an officer with a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, especially given the fact that it is not against the law in Florida to change the color of your vehicle without notifying the DHSMV.< which is NOT the same thing as "it's illegal but there is no penalty.

You can still stop them if they have a Jeff Gordon bumper sticker.

Archived