SASS Wire Forum

Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" Western

“We’ve been rehearsing this for the last three days and we’re not bad,” Quentin Tarantino told a packed crowd tonight at the live staged reading of his The Hateful Eight script. With alumni from his past pics such as Samuel L Jackson, Tim Roth, Kurt Russell, James Parks, Amber Tamblyn Michael Madsen, Denis Menochet, James Remar and Walton Goggins plus Bruce Dern by his side onstage at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel in downtown LA, the director’s 3.5-hour performance of the five-chapter Western set in post-Civil War Wyoming revealed that Tarantino has a career in theater if he ever decided to chuck the whole moviemaking thing.

Despite the controversy and legal action surrounding the leaked script, which Gawker put online in January, tonight’s Film Independent Presents the World Premiere of a Staged Reading by Quentin Tarantino: The Hateful Eight, as it was formally titled, also revealed that the big-screen version might not be as shelved as the director first told my colleague Mike Fleming Jr. on January 21. “I’m working on a second draft and I will do a third draft, but we’re reading from the first draft,” Tarantino, wearing a black Stetson and red ribbed cowboy shirt, said to the 1,200 patrons in the almost SRO theater before the performance started. (The well-heeled crowd included longtime Tarantino producers Harvey and Bob Weinstein.) “The Chapter 5 here will not be the Chapter 5 later, so this will be the only time it is seen ever.”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/hateful-eight-live-read-quentin-tarantino-script-los-angeles/

The author did not say how long the evening would be, but we should all know by now that Tarantino scripts are long. In the end, it took 177 minutes to read, not including a 10-minute break, with the writer indulging in some elaborate descriptions of the locations and action while stressing several times that it would all be captured in “70mm gloriousness.”

The story throws a bunch of strongly drawn characters together, first in a stagecoach dominated by two bounty hunters, one a white man called The Hangman (engagingly read by Russell with a pronounced John Wayne elocution style), who's taking a wild young woman (Tamblyn) into Red Rock for trial and presumed execution, and a black man (Jackson), a former Union army soldier who prefers dispensing justice himself.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/todd-mccarthy-tarantinos-hateful-eight-697739

Tarantino is one movie maker who definitely thinks outside the box. Way outside. :D

I like has movies, but of late he has become an annoyance. He is a foaming at-the-mouth anti-gun liberal that makes some of the most violent movies made. Yet, he will take zero responsibility for any effect his movies may have on the dumb and impressionable.

Archived