SASS Wire Forum

My, my, my! The Shoe is on the Other Foot for ATF.

Subdeacon Joe

Govt looking into ATF operations in 4 cities

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department's inspector general is conducting a four-city examination into storefront undercover operations run by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to assess whether they pose a danger to the public.

The ATF runs sting operations in various cities, often as part of an effort to catch arms traffickers who bring stolen weapons into storefronts where agents act as buyers.

The IG's office said Thursday it is looking into storefront operations in Milwaukee, Pensacola, Fla., St. Louis, Mo., and Wichita, Kan.

IG Michael Horowitz said if his office learns of information that might warrant looking at additional storefront operations, it will consider expanding the review to include them.

The ATF ran a Milwaukee storefront operation intended to bust felons for drug and gun offenses, but the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported in January 2013 that no major drug dealers or gang members were taken down. The store was robbed of $35,000 in merchandise, an agent's machine gun was stolen and a document listing undercover agents was left behind.

The ATF store opened in Milwaukee in early 2012 as Fearless Distributing. It offered designer clothes, athletic shoes, jewelry and drug paraphernalia for sale.

Anytime the ATF gets put under a microscope I'm happy, but you will have to forgive my skepticism. Given the anti-gun mindset of the current administration, I don't really expect anything to come of this.

Shut it down.

No don't. If they shut down where would we get our FFL's from? The FBI, CIA, Justice Dept., Dept. of Homeland insecurity? None of those are trustworthy either. The ATF is the least harmful when it comes to firearms and seller's of.

Anytime the ATF gets put under a microscope I'm happy, but you will have to forgive my skepticism. Given the anti-gun mindset of the current administration, I don't really expect anything to come of this.

sadly :( true...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

No don't. If they shut down where would we get our FFL's from? The FBI, CIA, Justice Dept., Dept. of Homeland insecurity? None of those are trustworthy either. The ATF is the least harmful when it comes to firearms and seller's of.

..until a border agent gets killed <_<

..until a border agent gets killed <_<

That was their own fault. The whole fast and furious thing. I was referring to HONEST dealers and retailers. Example: How would you get a firearm from a fellow SASS member living on the other side of the country from you if there were no more FFL's to go through. And actually right now it's about the easiest to get an FFL than it's ever has been. Just apply and if you pass the background check you get an FFL. Can you imagine the turmoil if DHS got their hands on it. We'd all be classified as terrorists.

That was their own fault. The whole fast and furious thing. I was referring to HONEST dealers and retailers. Example: How would you get a firearm from a fellow SASS member living on the other side of the country from you if there were no more FFL's to go through. And actually right now it's about the easiest to get an FFL than it's ever has been. Just apply and if you pass the background check you get an FFL. Can you imagine the turmoil if DHS got their hands on it. We'd all be classified as terrorists.

Yes the ATF is at fault where the border agent was gunned down so I don't see them as 'least harmful' to anything - to me 'least harmful' and 'BATF' don't go hand in hand...and since none of the agents involved in that scandle have been charged or prosecuted the BATF is crap.

But do we really need forms?

Do we really need FFLs?

I say they are infringers!

Yes the ATF is at fault where the border agent was gunned down so I don't see them as 'least harmful' to anything - to me 'least harmful' and 'BATF' don't go hand in hand...and since none of the agents involved in that scandle have been charged or prosecuted the BATF is crap.

I agree with you that it's pure bull no one got charged or prosecuted for that. By least harmful I was referring to who's in charge of issuing FFL's. Of the choices forced on us they are the least to worry about as long as you're honest.

But do we really need forms?

Do we really need FFLs?

I say they are infringers!

Do we need FFL's...personally I don't think so. But it's been forced on us and we have to live with it unless the Fed Gov't says we don't. Yeah right...like that'll happen.

Archived