SASS Wire Forum

Leading up to the "beep"...

McCandless

Howdy Pards,

... followed by a one to three second pause before the beep...

Agreed. Staggered the pause so a Shooter can't anticipate the beep.

Good match directors and stage writers will ALWAYS provide a line or action So the shooter can do all of their staging and firing line prep without the TO Distracting them with questions. Locally most of the shooters know my routine, but if I am timing for someone I don't know or at a bigger shoot, I will say is "Next shooter, the stage is yours. Stage your guns. When you are ready, say your line and I will give you a standby and a beep"

Then I shut up and wait for the shooter to let me know they are ready to go.

Starting line or not; it should be uniform, per the guidelines.

Verify the shooter is ready, then;

Shooter Ready?

Stand by;

BEEP!

Properly done, it's like conducting music, with an equal interval between RO comments. This gives the shooter a chance to breathe, compose, and get the best possible start.

Cheers,

FJT

99.9% of the time we have a starting line. When the shooter is setteling into position I glance at the spotters to see if they are ready, turn to the shooter and say " when the shooter is ready" then stand-by and the beep. If say a spotter has their back turned then I say very loudly, "if the spotters are ready" then turn to the shooter and give them the "when the shooter is ready", stand-by, beep.

Starting line or not; it should be uniform, per the guidelines.

Verify the shooter is ready, then;

Shooter Ready?

Stand by;

BEEP!

Properly done, it's like conducting music, with an equal interval between RO comments. This gives the shooter a chance to breathe, compose, and get the best possible start.

Cheers,

FJT

well said young man

Archived