SASS Wire Forum

Once more, to show my ignorance. .357 lead bullets

I do not shoot .357 or 38 long guns. My Grandson does. I want to load some bullets for him using lead bullets. Probably 158 grain.

What is the magic number for muzzle velocity to allow lead to be used and not cause leading in the barrel?

Ken ya hep me?

Thanks Buckhorn. Reading a little further I found the information about the leading and MV. Still looking at the formula though.

Thinking of using HP38 Hodgdon powder and a 157 grain bullet.

BMC

most commercial , will have a Brindnell hardness listed on thair website , if not on the box

at the listed pressure and vol , from the LEE book a 10 + Brindnell sill be good to go

Handcast from wheel weaights , should also be fine

if you can mark the projectile with your thumbnail , like a round ball for B/P , you are probley going to get some leading

IF there are Lazer Cast , them be real hard , 16 Bin , if I recall correctley , I have pushed them , WITHOUT a GC , over 1800 fps without problems

CB

Laser cast list their Brinnell at 22 on their web site. Another vendor list his at 16.

I am looking at around 1100 ft/sec for MV. I suppose that either one would work without problems?

LaserCast, Oregon Trail and Miester sell hardcast bullets that can be loaded to 1500 fps without leading a microgroove barrel. They can provide the information about the Ballard-cut barrel used in a Marlin cowboy gun.

Softer bullets, including Hornady swaged bullets, will lead a barrel at over 1200 fps.

Shooting a heavier bullet of 175-180 grains will also generate lower velocities.

Archived