SASS Wire Forum

nickel guns and app or Pinnacle powder

loco gringo

Would anyone have experience using APP or Pinnacle powders in nickel plated revolvers .I've heard it CAN be bad , but really can find any concrete answers . Don't want to learn the hard way !!!

Might not be too much experience with APP residue on nickle-plated firearms to report. However, there may be experience about the effects of APP residue on nickle-plated cases. I can report that 777 residue will turn shiny, nickle-plated cases frosty-white after several days without cleaning and would not be surprised if APP residue did the same.

777 left a whitish stain on nickel rodeo2 after overbite without cleaning. Like to shoot it but real black can sit longer without cleaning

APP doesn't seem to be as bad

MCJ

APP on nickel plating will turn the plating to a very slightly frosty white stain. Wipe with a damp cloth after shooting will wipe most of the burnt APP. A very little dab of Flitz polish will make it look shiny again. In a very good quality nickel plating, a wipe will do. A different story when shooting real BP. BTW, wipe gun with oil after cleaning for extra corrosion protection. Any crack on the nickel plating, APP residue can creep in between the cracks and corrode from underneath the plating and plating will start to peel off, then you're in big trouble. Ask me how I know. Now I shoot with stainless steel. Happy Trails.

I.M. Crossdraw

Archived