SASS Wire Forum

Hand loading data green dot and 200 gr 45 colt

Shorty Jack Hammer

I recently came into possession of some .45 colt 200 gr lead RPFT bullets and a unopened lb can of Alliant Green dot from a friend. I'm pretty new to hand loading so I'm avoiding any "experimentation" when it comes to it. I'm having trouble finding reloading data for that combination. I can find it for lead 200 gr SWC's and have been told and read that as long as the lead bullets are the same gr and similar in design you can use the same data. Does anyone here have any experience with that component combo? If I could find any Trailboss or Titegroup and 250 gr bullets I'd go that way but no luck.

Thanks,

Red

Green Dot will work without any experimentation on your part. Go to the Alliant web site and look under cowboy load data where you will find Green Dot listed! At the velocities listed, any minor differences in bullets design shouldn't be a problem. If you do find other powders, hang on to that Green Dot for shotgun loads! 200 Gr is plenty of bullet for CAS action shooting.

You should be able to find 250 grain bullets from some online vendor if you search. Your cautious approach to handloading will serve you well. Twice on the range I've seen the results bad handloading practise. The first merely destroyed a Colt clone. The second one resulted in an ambulance ride to the emergency room.

Archived