SASS Wire Forum

Spencer Ammo in a .50-70?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

This is a purely theoretical question.

I have an original 1865 Spencer in 56-50. Brass for the originals is made from .50-70 brass that is trimmed to fit as modern Spencer brass has a rim that's too small to work in the originals.

Very simple question: Since the ammo for the originals is made from .50-70 brass, can cartridges made from this shorted for Spencers brass be safely chambered and fired in a rifle chambered for .50-70 as a kind of a "sub load?"

The original Spencer cartridges were rimfires, no matter which chambering .56-56, .54-56, .52-56 and .50-56.

The .50 Govt (.50-70) was always a centerfire cartridge even though the first 4-6 years of production was with an internal primer. The .50-70 chambered guns could be shot with the .50-50 shell that was designed for the single-shot Remington rolling block used by the Navy and Marines. This would have created quite a bit of blowby of the powder, but the round would have gone off.

The original Spencer cartridges were rimfires, no matter which chambering .56-56, .54-56, .52-56 and .50-56.

The .50 Govt (.50-70) was always a centerfire cartridge even though the first 4-6 years of production was with an internal primer. The .50-70 chambered guns could be shot with the .50-50 shell that was designed for the single-shot Remington rolling block used by the Navy and Marines. This would have created quite a bit of blowby of the powder, but the round would have gone off.

Okay... Mine has been converted for centerfire 56-50.

So, again, just out of cuiosity, could these shortend 50-70's that have been turned into 56-50 Spencer Centerfire, be chambered and fired in a rifle chambered for .50-70? Sort of like putting 38 Specials in a .357 magnum. I am not saying I want to do it, I am just wondering if it is at least theoretically possible.

Okay... Mine has been converted for centerfire 56-50.

HK, are you sure the converted caliber is 56-50? Here's why I'm asking ... I have looked in every reference manual I have including one that lists 1406 different calibers. There was a 56-56 Experimental, vintage 1865 ... a .645 rimmed straight case. The 50-70 Govt is also a straight rimmed case but the rim diameter is .660 with a rim thickness of .07. The 56-56 has a rim thickness of .047 and neck diameter of .524. The 50-70 neck diameter is .535

So ... how about some dimensions for this mystery 56-50 caliber case you have including it's length?

Because if it is really a 56-56 ... nice try but it won't fit in a 50-70 Govt and is 'theoretically and pratically not possible'.

BTW - you picked the wrong forum to post this 'pie in the sky' question. There're Cowboys here not folks that do cartridge conversions as a steady diet

Archived