SASS Wire Forum

GF / B-Western pistol guideline question

Widder, SASS #59054

Shooters Handbook, pg. 13:

(paraphrased)

GF and BWestern are the only 2 categories that allow 2 loaded revolvers 'IN HAND' at the same time.

ROIII Handbook, pg. 10:

GF and BWestern are the only 2 categories that allow 2 loaded revolvers 'OUT OF LEATHER' at the same time.

There is a slight difference in these 2 circumstances. For example, lets say a Duelist or Double Duelist shoots 4 shots from 1st pistol and thinking they fired all 5 rounds, they lay it on the table and draw the 2nd pistol to shoot 5 more rounds. Someone yells, "ONE MORE IN THE 1ST PISTOL". THEN they pick up the 1st revolver and fire the last round.

(yes, I have witnessed Duelist laying a pistol on the table before drawing the second. I was told that it helps prevent them from worrying about breaking the 170).

The ROIII Handbook would have this as a penalty, because both were loaded and OUT OF LEATHER at the same time.

The Shooters Handbook would not because at NO TIME were both loaded revolvers 'IN HAND' at the same time.

Am I missing something and can anyone help clarify?

..........Widder

Revolver in hand – when the muzzle of the revolver clears the mouth of the holster, or breaks contact with a prop where it was staged.

RO1 "Glossary of Terms" p.30

What if anybody shot 4 rounds out of the first pistol and the 5th round didn't go off and they set the gun on the table and shot the 2nd pistol?

Fillmore

This is one of those things that I have called a penalty on myself before. Shot 4, went to holster as I pulled second pistol. Both were in hand, out of leather as I then poked first holster in leather. They call one more and I do it back in reverse.

This is one of those that I wished read like you couldn't fire with more than one loaded pistol in hand. That way, in this case, a shooter could get themselves squared away and get out of shooting in a faulted position. Just like you can draw a pistol in the wrong place but as long as you don't have the hammer back, you can move or whatever to get yourself right.

It is what it is. Write it down and we'll try it again next time.

if you've shot 4 and the 5th wouldn't fire and it is staged/made safe it is no longer considered loaded in terms of having two out at one time. you should holler "broke" or other such thing to let all know that you are declaring a malfunction as you ground it....don't ask me how I know.....

pbcc

Archived