SASS Wire Forum

Question on 73

I shot Marlins but have one 73 so I know a tiny amount about them so I am asking here for help.

Shooter was shooting and the gun locked up. When clearing the rifle, took off magazine cap, one of the link pins came out with the unfired ammo. When the shooter got home the link pin went right back into the links. The questions are:

1. How did the link pin come out?

2. Is it likely to happen again?

3. What needs to be don to correct it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Marlin

The most likely cause is poor assembly technique.

The toggle links are held in place by the side plates. While reassembling the gun, care must be taken to make sure that everything is in place before putting on the side plates. The gun may operate for awhile with only one link in place but it will soon lock up. With the carrier in the up position and the magazine tube open, the link is free to travel down the tube and out the end...... Sometimes.

If you mean the pivot pin that attaches one side of the links together, it is a semi-common issue for links that haven't been "staked". A bit of wear and the pin can back into the center of the frame.

The ideal solution would be for a small tig weld (on the inside surface of the pin/member) to hold it in place. A good but not quite as good alternative is to stake the pin.

If you mean the pivot pin that attaches one side of the links together, it is a semi-common issue for links that haven't been "staked". A bit of wear and the pin can back into the center of the frame.

The ideal solution would be for a small tig weld (on the inside surface of the pin/member) to hold it in place. A good but not quite as good alternative is to stake the pin.

Ah ... This is the guy who would have the answer.

Marlin, I've had both types of links, the staked ones are not reliable, but can be made to work.

CR

Archived