SASS Wire Forum

Brimstone Pistolerleros

Black Harris  #154

How did you do? It's a shoot that I would have loved to get to, but things always seem to conspire (I blame it on the NSA) against me.

Let me add my thanks to Cliff, Perfesser BS and Rowdy (plus the Lions for great lunch & RB Floats)!

Great day of Holy Black and solid fun with delightfully fun and dastardly stages (not sure who our posse cursed more, Cliff or the Perfesser). Apparently since I did not have to go to the outhouse with the heat, I got my two Ps done on the range - I'm claiming senior moments :-) !

Thanks again to all who helped and those who shot, I certainly enjoyed the day!

Harvey

Let me add my thanks to Cliff, Perfesser BS and Rowdy (plus the Lions for great lunch & RB Floats)!

Great day of Holy Black and solid fun with delightfully fun and dastardly stages (not sure who our posse cursed more, Cliff or the Perfesser). Apparently since I did not have to go to the outhouse with the heat, I got my two Ps done on the range - I'm claiming senior moments :-) !

Thanks again to all who helped and those who shot, I certainly enjoyed the day!

Harvey

Tough shootin' Bullspit's evil stages since we were forced to use those things on top of the barrels. :P BUT! At least there were plenty of shotgun targets. :ph34r:

The best was seein' folks I haven't shot with in a good while and getting fed too.

Thanks Cliff, Professor,............... There are those who have a rope with yer name written all over it. ;)

Tough shootin' Bullspit's evil stages since we were forced to use those things on top of the barrels. :P BUT! At least there were plenty of shotgun targets. :ph34r:

The best was seein' folks I haven't shot with in a good while and getting fed too.

Thanks Cliff, Professor,............... There are those who have a rope with yer name written all over it. ;)

Uh oh.... I had better plan on skipping town quick!

Hah! That was a somethin' else good time, I thought. It seemed like a long drive home and it was. How many times did I think about how I could have shot those stages and how far out were some of those targets? I also wondered how many show up to a gunfight and don't put enough SG shells in their belt. All in fun, I really enjoy chewing the fat and swappin' lies at Thunder Valley. It is just one of those things that grows on you and you keep coming back for more year after year. One time at 115 degrees, the next at 28 degrees. You just never know what they will throw out at you.

Sure glad my old pard Jailhouse Jim could be there. A little drive all the way from Paso Robles don't bother tough cowboys he proved to us. He really showed up to stock up on his primer stock. He was getting low on inventory. Thanks for some great prizes. I got me pretty well set up for loading too. I won prizes so many times, I worked off that root beer float getting up and fetching them.

Sure glad to posse up with Black Harris and Sweet Nell, Harvey Mushman (the guy with the same alias as Steve McQueen, but not the money, but maybe the looks) and the other really great folks. Thanks especially to Rowdy Yates, Cliffhanger and Prof Bullspit for putting on a tradition and giving us some real fodder for tales around the campfire. It is cowboy tradition to grumble a mite while settin' around the chuckwagon and campfire. I'll bet that tiny little, wee bit rifle target way the hell out there somewhere beyond the railhead, comes up a time or two.

It was fun pards. I had as much fun just being with you as I did shooting and laying down some smoke. The Brimstone Pistoleros are the best.

The bonus target .... well, we had two shooters hit it. Two Gun Sam and M.C. Rider. So I will not have to repaint it before using it again.

The clays on sticks work fine. On the posse I shot with we only had to replace one stick. Ransome Hawk was standing on his toes so as to not hit the prop. The reset took a bit of time. I'll see if I can come up with some sort of holder that is quick to change out.

Looking at the 16" target that was out 80 yards, it will require repainting. It was hit plenty. Not by me but there were many hits on it.

I noticed that the cow had been hit a few times. And we had hamburgers and root beer floats for lunch. The Lion's kitchen do us right.

We got through the match by 12:30pm. Did lunch. Drew names until all the prizes were gone. We kept pulling tickets until every one had been called. Then we toss everyone's ticket back in and id it again. Several times. Then Rowdy Yates read the scores and gave out the first place medals. By the time I checked that all the targets and props where picked up, I headed home right at 4:00pm. I would have gotten out of there earlier (3:00pm) but I found sitting in the shade with the little breeze was refreshing.

Jailhouse Jim and Howdy Doody came a long ways. All the way from Paso Robles. But I have to say, Sorry guys, you did not travel the farthest. 44 Phred was from Alabama. I didn't hear his story so I am sure how he came to be at Thunder Valley. I will say it was a pleasure to be on the same posse.

Now there was this shooter, Paul Bereh, who was having troubles with his 51s. He would get up there and go after the stage but his revolvers where not cooperating. Paul seemed to be at the unloading table with one or even both revolvers completely disassembled. He would get them working and then step up to the line, stage after stage. These were relative new guns and box stock. Now what I want to point out is, Paul never gave up. Never a bad word was heard. And this was his first live ammunition cas match. Heck of a place to start out. Thunder Valley with the Brimstone Pistoleros and their...esteemed stage writers.

Paul Bereh, Well Done. And I hope you join us again.

CH

OK Perfesser, you're getting the dastardly stage writer credit! Wish you could have joined us for the day, but there are priorities and you did it right!

The bonus was tough, but many were very close. The hardest were the 80 and 100yd, 16' rifle targets on stage 1, offhand after the wind started gusting! You'da been safe offering a new car or truck for a clean match!!! Still great fun on balance with all the stages. The cow was great fun too, and got folks really workin' to not move with a cocked pistol.

All in all, we'll miss you Professor Bullspit, and I thank you for your interesting, fun and challenging stage writing efforts the last several of these. Best of luck in Michigan, and hopefully we'll see you back from time to time!

Howdy, as your RO on that stage, I share the blame for lettin' you show up at the gunfight without enough SG shells (although Cliff did require quite a few)! As you said, I enjoy this one every year, whether it's 115 or 28 (pun intended)!

Paul Bereh, wow! Your first SASS match and you get the full TV experience, plus you shot not only BP, but C&B, and brand new stock ones, to boot! Sorta like playing your first baseball game in the majors with a brand new stiff leather glove!! It just gets better from here. C&B ain't for the faint of heart, but once you get used to them it will be MUCH easier and very fun and satisfying. Of course you can make it virtually a breeze by getting the Frontiersman Action job by Rowdy - I have shot many matches with the '61's he did for me (plus Treso nipples), with only ONE cap jam, and no other mechanical gremlins - highly recommended (he deliverrd another pair of '51s to me that morning).

I have greatly enjoyed this match each year as a change of pace and throwback with great pards to shoot with- I hope we can all get together again next year and fill the valley with thunder! Cliff has been the real driver and workhorse of the last few I've been at - BIG, BIG THANKS!

Harvey

Thanks for having me. I had a great time, and I knew those Navy revolvers would give me some trouble. I'll have to get them tuned up.

Funny thing is I swapped one of them out on the last stage for a 60 Army I've had for awhile that's usually very dependable. It misfired almost every time. Then I went to re-prime and clear it. Fired every shot. I guess that's why they carried two.

Cliff, I liked the .45-70 reloads with the AAP. That stuff cleaned up real easy. Almost like I hadn't shot it at all.

Looking forward to shooting again with you all in the future.

I have enjoyed writing stages for Thunder Valley these past several years. Thanks to Cliff Hanger for all the help. Thanks to Rowdy Yates for providing some videos of early stages for inspiration. You wouldn't believe the stuff they used to do!

It was a real shame to have to miss out shooting this match, but it was worth it to see my wife walk up and get hooded for the Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry!

We will be Michigan bound and looking foward to shooting with the cowboys up that away, if we can shovel the snow fast enough to make it to the road!

PS: To Paul Bereh, I didn't get a chance to meet you other than a nod as we were setting up the final touches that morning, but you deserve a hat tip for taking on this match as your first one under the conditions you shot. Believe me, they will all get much easier from here on!

Archived