SASS Wire Forum

Now That Was a Helleva Race at Indy (Spoiler Alert)

Cypress Sun

If you missed todays Indy 500, you missed one helleva race. Average speed in the 190's, 80+ led changes and passing on darn near every lap. It was by far the best Indy 500 I've seen in a looooong time. The race was won by Tony Kanaan in his 12th try at the speedway. Thankfully there were no major crashes although the last one with 3 to go ended the race under caution. Congrats to TK on his 1st win at Indy and cudos to Carlos Munoz (a rookie) on a great run for second.

Wow, what a race.

CS

I watched the End of the Race under Yellow flag...wished it was Full throttle. Second Place might be first Place next year.

Jake

I normally don't like having to listen to races on the radio, it's too hard to visualize what's happening, but I'm now glad I left the radio on the race instead of switching back to the music station after the opening ceremonies....

Yeah, I wish they knew about the green, white, checkered finishes; they are definately more exciting than a caution finish.

No doubt about that. The only problem I have with Indy Car trying to do things NASCAR style is that they tried a few different things at Vegas a few years back. It was a major contribution to Dan Weldon getting killed. Too close of quarters, too high of speed and open wheels don't mix well for the drivers. I'd rather watch a race end under caution than see a driver get killed.

CS

Great race. I especially liked Munoz's post-race comment that he was disappointed with second place. To me this showed he has the heart of a winner. Ann Tique disagreed. She thought the he should be very happy with 2nd, particularly since this was a) his first Indy and B) his first time in an Indy car. She wouldn't accept my reasoning that 2nd place is the first loser and he considers himself as winner. Doesn't take a crystal ball to predict a great future for him.

All that said, very glad for TK. There's a reason he's one of the most popular drivers in the field. The vignette about the medal being returned by the girl was one of the stories of the race.

Archived