SASS Wire Forum

Joe Bowmans Engraved Rugers, Pictures?

Mad Dog McGee

Seen a few pics of Joe Bowmans engraved (by him) Rugers. Like to see more or if anyone engraves in that style, please let me know as I really think that they look great. I think that I seen a few pics in Shoot Magazine a few years back, but I havn't been able to turn up anything.

I also think that he said that he engraved them with a dermal tool. Met him a few times but didn't think to ask him about his guns. He was a great guy!

Thanks in advance, Mad Dog McGee

Hey Mad Dog McGee, I have a shooting pardner that was around Joe Bowman and his lovely wife quite abit. He says it is true, Joe did all his own engraving with a dremel with special bits and it has his name on the work.

Thats this cowboys story!

Joe Bowman was a giant of a Man.

Oklahoma Dee

I would REALLY like to see some club put on a match in honor of JOE BOWMAN. Joe was a true Classic Cowboy in my book.

Ghost

Ghost You are so right. Joe was a true Showman and World reknown for his gun handling abilitys. We were lucky enough to see him preform many times. His card tricks were pretty good as well. Wish I could afford to have a pair of his pistols for keepsakes. NBC

It's been nearly 4 years since Joe has been layed to rest. I wear one spur, in honor of Joe Bowman. Here's the story:

I first met Joe at his show at End of Trail '06. I was really impressed with Joe's skill of firing 3 shots that sounded as one. I had a signed paper plate with a hole in it, that Joe put there with a wax bullet, while I was holding it!

Joe would do rope tricks, whip exhibitions, gun twirling, and trick shooting, talking all the time about gun safety, freedom, and the American Way.

Near the end of his show, Joe would ask if any one had a question. I had noticed he only had one spur on the custom maded boots he had made himself (Joe was a famous boot maker and maded boots for Presidents and Roy Rogers). " Joe, how come you wear only one spur? Did you lose one?" Joe Bowman answered my question, " Well, my Papa once told me that if I got one side of the horse to move, the other side would follow."

I got to see Joe preform a number of times after that. I brought his video. I was fortunate to see Joe's last performance at EoT '09. Joe looked tired, but he still put on the show, however shorten, and I asked that question for the last time.....

I attended Joe's funeral in Houston, Texas, and with tears in my eyes I told this story. And today, at all matches, I wear one spur.... in honor of Joe Bowman, the Straight Shooter.

Ghost

P.S. time flys and memory fades.

I met Joe through a good friend of mine, and every time I ran into Joe since that first meeting he remembered my name and always had a big howdy and a hand shake. I am proud to say I knew Joe Bowman.

Taco, that incident of stolen guns was at Trailhead in Columbus, TX. I do not know if the guns were recovered.

Ghost

Archived