SASS Wire Forum

Need Help! Situation Corrected. Appreciate the Help.

Persuader, SASS # 74492

Pay even though it was shipped by an FFL and insured. They are saying it was an UNMAILABLE ITEM. Can anyone quote the Postal Regulation that covers this. Thanks in advance.

Situation Corrected. Thanks to all that posted help.

From USPS site

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

• Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
  • Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
  • Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
  • Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
  • Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
  • Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
  • Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
  • Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun

Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

The mailer must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered Mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.2 PS Form 1508

PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.

432.3 Packaging and Marking

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.

Pay even though it was shipped by an FFL and insured. They are saying it was an UNMAILABLE ITEM. Can anyone quote the Postal Regulation that covers this. Thanks in advance.

Chances are it was addressed to "Joe's Gun Shop" and was stolen in transit, not lost. I always address my gun packages FOR the FFL holder, putting his name and business address and the receiving FFL's name and business address....NOT the business names.

Anyway, I suggest that you get the FFL to file the claim. If your FFL mailed the package, he insured it, so it's his responsibility (and he may be the only one eligible) to deal with that You can get things going by demanding to speak to THE POSTMASTER and not some clerk. To say those people are clueless would be kind. Talk to "management"....the Postmaster (who will also suprise you with their arrogance and general lack of knowledge and skills. Don't mean to BE mean, but I've had a go-around or two with these people and you must keep hounding their collective @$$ to get them to perform and leave there politics out of it.

Cat Brules

Not much to add old man, but I had a rifle stolen from the UPS warehouse in Jacksonville. I had to get the shipper (Henry Firearms) to start the paperwork. Never did get the gun and Henry made it good and the ATF called me for years afterward inquiring about the gun. WW

Looking to see you at the Cowford Annual, April, 26-28. See the website for an application.

The Postal Clerk failed to have the FFL fill out the form Manatee quoted. The shipping FFL told the clerk it was a pistol, he admitted that to the Post Master. Post Master will ensure the insurance will pay due to the Clerks oversight. As least that's the story I've been quoted.

The Postal Clerk failed to have the FFL fill out the form Manatee quoted. The shipping FFL told the clerk it was a pistol, he admitted that to the Post Master. Post Master will ensure the insurance will pay due to the Clerks oversight. As least that's the story I've been quoted.

I wonder if it will get sold out of a trunk in the ghetto this weekend and be sticking up a convenience store shortly?

Just FYI. I have a copy of that form on my Mac and I fill it out with every shipment and then bring it to the post office. Your FFL should do that too.

Archived