SASS Wire Forum

All Stainless Lever Action 1892

Come On Christmas

I bought a new 1892 round barrel Rossi Stainless 44 WCF. I also have a 45 Navy no safety Octagonal barrel I believe is a Rossi as well.

My new gun is smoother out of the box. Is this common to stainless guns in general.

Shameless

My Stainless 92 carbine feels smoother than a blued 92 that I had before...it is not fast and I still like the rifle because of its lightness but that is about all.

I love my Rossi SS 45LC ctake down conversion. No lever action I own is as smooth. Including two high $$ Uberti (1866 and 1873) CAS race guns..........

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi-1892-winchester-take-down-conversion.html

I really like my 92 in SS....its the rifle I use in adverse conditions (rain). Not quite as easy to shoot on target as my 24" barrelled 'Mingo' 73.... but super easy to handle.

The 92 was smoother than I thought

t would be out of the box ( bought through Outlaw Gambler....great pard to work with).... however Deuce did a couple things to it and the Nate Kiowa Jones springs improved it ALOT.

Now for that Ketchum Quick front sight improvement..... ;) its in my wish list.

GG

Some years back, I had a rather nice Navy Arms imported octagonal barrel '92 rifle. Couldn't get it to run reliably with .45 Schofield ammo, so I sold it. Wish I'd kept it. Really nice gun. Also really smooth for an "out of the box" '92. And yes, I think stainless guns are a mite smoother than "blue" guns.

Coffinmaker

My 44-40 Rossi '92 in SS had poor accuracy out of the box, using factory Cowboy Ammo. The good folks on the Wire suggested I slug the barrel, which showed a .429 bore.

Got some 44-40 big lube bullets sized to .430 and the accuracy greatly improved. Had a local smith replace the springs and polish the innards.

It's a really nice rifle. Almost as nice as my Marlin 1893C, when the Marlin works right, that is.

Archived