SASS Wire Forum

"I can't see my sights"

Subdeacon Joe

Speaking of seeing your sights...

Last match, we had a stage where the rifle was shot from the right side of the bay, with a building facade type prop in the middle of the bay. Rifle targets were three, all the way at the back of the bay, one on the left, one middle, one right which was pretty much in line with the shooting position. When aiming at the left target, the front sight of your rifle was in the shade of the prop. It was a real booger to pick up that front sight.

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/tactics-defensive-issues/i-cant-see-my-sights/

But, at most self defense ranges it seems that point shooting works just fine.

I have a friend that is in the process of losing his sight, degenerative myopia or some such thing. We try to get out shooting every couple of weeks or so...as long as he can.

His pistol sports a yellow dot on the front sight. His last pistol run was at about 7 yards...he knew the backstop was safe, and he could blaze away! Pulled his auto-pistol, and put 10 shots center mass in about 3 seconds.

With his rifle, he needs a scope that has the focus cranked close for him. Last group, 10 shots, 3" at 100yards. Funny part, the guy at the next target was shooting a 12" to 14" group, and his partner gave him grief about being out-shot by an old guy. I didn't have the heart to tell him he had been out-shot by a legally blind guy. :D

Archived