SASS Wire Forum

Unmarked revolver? Who made it?

Kid Kneestone SASS #14851

A friend has a single action revolver in his shop that we can not identify?

It is well worn and has been buffed and/or bead/sand blasted that removed all vestige of markings from the piece. The one unusual (to me anyway) feature is it has only two screws in the frame: one for the hammer, and one for the trigger and bolt. The firing pin is fixed in the hammer.

Can anyone suggest a maker that has similar features?

Much obliged for any information you might provide me.

Kid Kneestone

As said already, pictures would help, but being the frame has only 2 screws, I would start my guess with it being a Remington.

Does it have the 1875 Outlaw web between frame and barrel?

Come to think about it, it could be the 1890 Police model.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/outlaw-frontier-and-police.php

Doc is correct. It is illegal to posses any firearm with the serial numbers obliterated. Your friend had best turn it over to the ATF or his local police. If his "shop" is a gun store he should know better and should have notified the police immediately. Grant you, some guns in the 1800s & 1700s were made without serial numbers.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

A fair amount of firearms made prior to 1968 do not have S/N's.

[AKA GCA 68]

MG

Yes, it is true, firearms made before the GCA of 1968 were not required to have serial numbers. But if the firearms had them, it is illegal to remove, change or obliterate the number.

Until the OP postrs some pictures, we don't know if the pistol ever had a serial number or not. Since the "friend" has a shop, it's reasonable to think that he is either a FFL dealer or gunsmith. The question is why/how he accepted a pistol without or with a removed serial number.

Archived