SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 parts and info/advice

Lefty Stone

Howdy,

I've run into a circa 1919 Winchester Model 97' that I may, or may not buy.

Before I get too into it, I am wondering where I can look to find replacement parts, etc.

What are some good sites to visit, and who are the 97 gurus in the mid-west?

Thanks in advance pards!

-Stone

Numrich has some (some could be used). Cowboys and Indian Store has replacements for ejector and extractors. Suggest first you work the action with dummie loads and see if it will feed and extract okay. If the shotgun has been sitting around for years I would soak the metal parts in a penetrating oil overnight before trying to take it apart and be very careful so you do not break a screw or mess up the head of one.

In addition to those mentioned, The Brisco Kid is firmly entrenched in working on those long guns.

http://cowboyshooterssupply.com/contact_us.html

If your needing guidance and or work, he is really, reallly realllllly a great guy.

He is keep in line bye his wonderful wife - Kiamichi Queen.

Cheers,

OkD

Cowboy and Indiana store. The best and only left side extractor that I've ever seen work. I typically will replace that part and the ejection spring right at the get go.

But I am no 97 mechanic. I only know enough to get in trouble.

Ringer

I think I am going to go ahead and pick this thing up, the price is right, and I 'think' I can make it a viable SASS shooter with some parts and TLC over the winter.

Thanks for all the advice and info folks, I will post a pic of it when it gets home from the dealer.

Archived