SASS Wire Forum

Best book on the old west I ever read!

Rancho Roy

I read two books a month. For the last two years I've been reading everything I can beg, borrow and steal about the old west. From 1830-1900 is the period that most interests me.

Many of the books I've read are excellent, but nothing compares to "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C.Gwynne

This is the story of Quanah Parker and the rise and fall of the Comanches.

It even gets into discission about the firearms of the time and how the Winchester realy did win the west!

I can not recommend it more highly.

Thanks for the post. I am always looking for a good read. Here is a book I really enjoyed. You may have read it. If you haven't, you should. It is excellent. The name of the book is The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier. It is written by Scott Zesch. Here is a link to it. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/captured-scott-zesch/1101089105?ean=9781429910118

Howdy

I am about halfway through Empire of the Summer Moon right now. I feel that it drags at times and he belabors some points, but overall it is a great read. I never knew anything at all about the Comanches. This book completely illuminates their history and their unique place in the story of the West. Overall, a great read for anybody interested in the history of the West.

T.R.Fehrebach's history of the Comanches is the best book on any American Indian tribe I've ever read, with a big dose of Texas history, too. Originally published as The Comanches; the Destruction of a People, and reissued a few years back as The Comanches, the History of a People.

It is an outstanding book. Come to think of it, I think I first heard of it here, many years ago.

Archived