SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Tried the New Claybuster 3/4 oz. 12 ga. Wads?

Stumbled across these (CB 0175-12 pink wads) in another forum. CB lists loads using Clay Dot, which the manufacturer states is identical to Clays. I might try a bag as soon as I can find one, as I have a 3/4 oz. bar for my MEC which was used with AA Lite and was just too messy for my taste.

Low velocity 3/4 oz loads give very Iffy performance. Can't imagine anyone using them in serious competition.

7/8 oz. loads at near, or just over 1000 FPS duplicate the performance of the much revered Winchester Low Noise/Low Recoil loads. Anything less is just too wimpy for reliable performance on Knock Down Targets.

If you need a receipe, send a PM.

RBK

Wife loves her 7/8 ounce loads at about 1000 FPS, using CB gray (CB0178-12) wads and Clays or Clay Dot. Don't think I could get her to try the 3/4 ounce loads - just too spotty.

Good luck, GJ

Stumbled across these (CB 0175-12 pink wads) in another forum. CB lists loads using Clay Dot, which the manufacturer states is identical to Clays. I might try a bag as soon as I can find one, as I have a 3/4 oz. bar for my MEC which was used with AA Lite and was just too messy for my taste.

I have been using 3/4oz Clay Dot loads for quite a while now with TGT12 or the regular CB7/8oz (grey) wads. The "new" 3/4oz wads eliminate the need (my need) to drop one pinto bean in each (with the shot) to get a pristine crimp (easy to do actually on the Sizemaster).

3/4oz loads have become very popular for a lot of competition uses (lots of talk about these on Shotgunworld if you visit those sort of places).

My load chronos at 1100fps and works very well ... but I usually use all #6 or 50/50 #6 and mixed recycled shot (you don't need #6 for what we do but it does seem to carry edge hits pretty well).

When I first started fooling with these I had them loaded up to the 12-1250fps range and they would make you laugh because they were "loud" (like real shotgun loads) but had no noticable recoil.

IMHO .. I have noticed that ClayDot ... when loaded with the same "bushing" (volume) as regular Clays ... is a little "hotter" (more powerful) than Clays ... but ... when loaded by "weight" ... seems to yield the same results.

There should be some published 3/4 loads floating around now using their new "extra light" powder (takes up "more" case volume to make it easier to load "light" loads ... a lot like WinLight does).

You get 535 shots out of a 25lb bag @ 3/4 ... about 458 @ 7/8 ... but more importantly ... you just need to find something that "works for you" and is easy to turn out a nice looking ... dependable shell.

IMHO as always ... :rolleyes:

Oh crap ... I just dropped my #25 bushing on the floor ... sigh ...

Pete

I load a 3/4 oz 20 ga. for my granddaughter that a friend started using for cowboy action and they take down the shotgun targets just fine. Of course, he has to take a little ribbing about shooting little girl loads. :lol:

I loaded up some of the new wads and they worked well. No problem with knock downs at all.

If 3/4 oz of lead going almost 1000 fps won't take them down, somehting is wrong.

Archived