SASS Wire Forum

Did I see a Rem or Marlin today

Widder, SASS #59054

Saw a new 1895 today in the local shop but I honestly don't know is it was a new Rem or Marlin manufactured 1895.

It was in 45-70 and looked real nice. It was also relatively smooth.....although alittle TLC could make it better.

Serial number started with the letter RM and it looked like the letters 'REM' were stamped on the right side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver.....but the letters were faint and actually hard to make out.

If this 45-70 was a Rem produce rifle, they deserve a good and kind word for a good job. The action was decent and the overall appearance of the rifle was very good.

Any of you Pards know more about these markings and 'RM' prefix to the serial number?

Oh yea, I think the price was listed at around $749.

..........Widder

Hey Widder, are you sure the prefix wasn't MR instead? That is what the new Marlin serial numbers start with. Don't know for sure, but I guess it means Marlin/Remington. The proof mark on the barrel should be REP (Remington English Proof).

I believe production has started up again, I'm seeing a lot more new 1894's advertised. I've handled a few a gunshows. Other than the stocks, which have laser-engraved checkering that I don't think looks good at all, the rest of the gun looks pretty good, at least as good as they did before. I'm tired of people bashing the new Marlins, I hope they get things going and start putting out decent rifles again. The damage to their reputation will be a long time getting over.

Thanks Pards.

Doc,

you're probably correct in those prefix letters. It would be easy for me to remember them backwards.

And those letters of 'REP' would probably be accurate on this rifle because the last letter 'P' was the letter that was hard to read.

Anyhow, that rifle was a good one. If I were looking for a good 45-70 right now, I would surely buy this one.

One other item: the barrel appreared to be approx 22" and had a 3/4 length mag tube. The mag tube extended beyond the forend but not all the way out to the end of the barrel.

..........Widder

Never mind

Archived