SASS Wire Forum

Georgie Patton couldn't shoot Wild Bunch

Irish Pat

Has anyone ever seen a picture of "Old Blood and Guts" wearing a 45 auto? I have not... I love his engraved Colt SAA in 45 and his registered 357 magnum and his Colt pocket auto with the general's stars on the grips but never seen a 45 auto pictured. I read to other day that in his early days on the mexican border he worked on the lockwork on a 45 Auto as a redtail Lt and had it go off in his holster and from then on he stuck with revolvers, pretty smart guy..I have my grandaddy's 1917 S&W 45acp. He served in the Punitive Expedition of 1916 in Mexico and told me they generally disliked the old style 1911 45 autos and much prefered the revolvers when they came out. He said General Pershing addressed the troops and told them they could be the first members of the AEF to sail for France or stay in the US and be instructors and train the new troops. Paw Paw told me had had enough of Mexico to know to stay here. I guess if he had gone on France in 1917, I probably wouldn't be here.. Irish Pat, sass 19486

Lt. Patton was involved in a famous shootout wheer he used his 1911, his Colt SAA in 45 and a 1903 Springfield to take down several bad Mexican revolutionaries. Reports are between three and six baddies that he put down.

It was quite common for cavalry soldiers to carry there old Colt SAAs in a saddlebag or second holster in the west.

I have read reports that his Colt SAA was usually empty during WWII. I guess the idea of having a second cylinder in .45 ACP was not traditional enough for him.

I'm a George Patton admirer but I prefer turn of the century DA service revolvers with moon clips and .45 ACP or .45 auto rim rather than semi-autos when shooting local rules "vigilante" Wild Bunch. I do have and shoot a 1911 Colt when shooting "traditional" SASS rules.

There is a pretty well founded story that Patton worked his issue 1911 to a very light trigger pull, and had it AD in a Mexican border bar one evening. He seemed to be spooked about 1911s the rest of his career. He was the only general of course during WW II that decided to carry his SAA at times, although his favorite is usually reported to be his S&W "Registered 357" (precursor to Model 27). His "killing gun".

Good luck, GJ

Archived