SASS Wire Forum

Ranch Hands at the Ambush

Bull Shooter

I was at the Ambush at Mill Creek this weekend and saw a couple kind of Dorky Cowboys and one GIANT Red Headed Cowboy walking around with some nice rigs strapped to their hips and in their holsters were Ranch Hands. I heard that The Cowboys are allowing Ranch Hands in their monthly match in the Outlaw class as the shooters pistols and I just read on the Wire that Comin’ at ‘Cha is hoping to host the 2012 Intercontinental Outlaw Championship of the World. If they get enough shooters. What do you think of the Ranch Hands and is it ok to use them as your pistol in the Outlaw class. I want to know because I was one of those Dorks and I own 1 Ranch Hand and I think I need 2 so I can be well balanced when I shoot in the Outlaw class.

P.S. In case you were curios Ranch Hands are so much fun to shoot from the hip.

Thanks B.S.

Well, since I was that GIANT Red-Headed Cowboy, I don't think I even need to say my preference! In case anyone is confused, the Ranch Hand is the current version of the Mare's Leg from Steve McQueen/Wanted Dead Or Alive fame. They hold six rounds. They are registered as pistols. And, most importantly, they are as cowboy as you can get. Black Harris was so impressed he ordered two on the spot for himself!!! They must be cool if Black Harris wants 'em. ;)

I would like to welcome all Outlaws to the first stand alone Intercontinental Championship to be held in conjunction with the S.W. Regional in English, Tx. next Nov.1-4th. The last World Championship was held 2 years ago in Ky. at the World famous 2nd annual turkey shoot put on by Mose Spencer. There were over 30 Outlaw shooters at that match and we had a great time. Grab your Mares Leg and saddle up boys.. Let's Go To Texas !!!!!

Curious to know what y'all are using for holsters, since I have a Ranch Hand coming. Going to practice(with lasers) over the summer.

I had a pair made by Kid Cavalier. He's the shop manager for John Bianchi at Frontier Gunleather. I'll try to get a few photos posted when I can.

Howdy,

I must not be up on what is allowed to be used as a pistol in SASS/CAS matches. I can't find a reference to the Ranch Hand / Mare's Leg in the SASS Handbooks. Many references to "Revolver". Also, I thought "Outlaw" had to be shot Duelist, Dbl. Duelist or Gunfighter style.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Howdy,

I must not be up on what is allowed to be used as a pistol in SASS/CAS matches. I can't find a reference to the Ranch Hand / Mare's Leg in the SASS Handbooks. Many references to "Revolver". Also, I thought "Outlaw" had to be shot Duelist, Dbl. Duelist or Gunfighter style.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

If it's not mentioned or not described, it can't be considered illegal. Ranch Hands can be shot with one hand (it takes two to cock it, but one to aim and shoot).

If it's not mentioned or not described, it can't be considered illegal.

Ranch Hands can be shot with one hand (it takes two to cock it, but one to aim and shoot).

That's not quite how that works. <_<

I had a pair made by Kid Cavalier. He's the shop manager for John Bianchi at Frontier Gunleather. I'll try to get a few photos posted when I can.

Here is a phot of my holster rig:

Mare's Leg Holsters

The Mare's Leg/Rossi Ranch Hand is not SASS legal at this time. That means for state-level matches and above, it can't be used as a main match pistol. However, local clubs can and do allow things that are not necessarily SASS-approved at their match. The Cowboys are allowing the Mare's Leg to be used in their monthly matches as long as they are kept to the Outlaw catagory. An un-approved gun in an un-approved catagory....seems fitting, right? As for Outlaw class, since it isn't an approved class, the local club can use whatever rules it sees fit to use. In general, yes, it's been shot Duelist and the like, one-handed. But the Mare's Leg creates unique circumstances, so a little rule modification is in order.

I'm looking forward to getting my Mare's Legs back from Jim Bowie so Bull Shooter and a few others and I can use them in a match. Stay tuned for that match report!!

Archived