SASS Wire Forum

Date Of Manufacture

I have a 16 Ga. Husky Ser # 11**9..... With 2 3/4 inch chambers,It is Nitro Proofed...

Thanks For your Help, in addvance ...

Jabez Cowboy

According to this chart it was made in 1884 ,,,,,, but it has fauxe damascus steel barrels and is nitro proofed ....

What year did Fluid Steel barrels become availible in Shotguns ....

Jabez Cowboy

JC

As you know , there are many things that will happen over the years to guns ,

Europe does some strange things , take a real close look at the proofs , to see if they appear to be of the same age as the other markings , look for refinishing smears in the markings that do not appera in the proff marks , most re-proffs are done after refinishing .

Given it is a hammer gun , based on the few HUSKYS , I have handled , the SN , i would say it is probley a reproff at a later date .

I could be WRONG , but better SAFE , than sorry , in MY book .

CB

Wood is also a good indicator. 19-th century guns often had very straight-grained walnut. Early 20-th century guns, especially right after the WW's had beech, dovetailed or gum stocks. A W. Richards of Belgium made in the 1920-30 range can be differentiated at five feet from a W. Richards made in England just by looking at the wood. I have seen lesser European guns will have steel barrels that are made to look like Damascus or twist steel.

Many shotguns were assembled after the WW's from previously-made parts, so the statement above that European guns are difficult to date is very correct.

I just picked up a Remington Whitmore Lifter Model 1878. It has the decarbonized barrels common to Grade 1 guns. The twist and Damascus models were considered higher grade when the guns were made, but I feel much safer shooting my 1-3/4-dram loads in the solid steel decarbonized barrels.

JC, you might want to read this article about shotgun barrels - types of barrels and nitro proof marks

http://www.doublegunshop.com/gunther1.htm

Yes, a fluid steel barrel can be marked Nitro Proof back in that era. But are they barrels that we can equate to be safe for smokeless powder charge pressures of today? In order to verify what the Nitro Proof mark represents, one has to know the pressure that the proof house tested it at.

Another common response, in the case of foreign proofed doubles, is If the barrels are marked NITRO they are safe to shoot. NOT NECESSARILY SO! EUROPEAN DOUBLES, IF IN GOOD CONDITION, ARE ONLY SAFE TO SHOOT WITH THE LOADS FOR WHICH THEY WERE BUILT! The book, THE STANDARD DIRECTORY OF PROOF MARKS, by Wirnsberger and Steindler give the pressures to which proofed guns were subjected to in order to pass proof. For example, under the 1912 rules, German 16 gauge guns marked NITRO were subjected to a proof pressure of 12,800 psi. This does not mean you can fire any shell in these guns that does not exceed peak pressures of 12,800 psi. When a shot gun barrel is fired it expands and then contracts, hopefully, back to its original dimensions. Over the years this expansion and contraction weakens these barrels. Most guns, used extensively over the years, will probably not pass those same proof tests today.

And the next consideration is ... What was the pressure of the nitro powder that the proof house used to signify that it was Nitro Proofed. The book noted above will give the answer.

A better form of guncotton was invented in 1884, and the French Lebel rifle was the first to use smokeless powder.

Alfred Nobel invented a smokeless in 1887 which he called ballistite, and it was modified to make Cordite which the British adopted

If it was me, I'd shoot black powder reloads in your gun to be totally on the safe side. I have a couple of circa Belgian early 1900's external cocks shotguns and they are only fed BP reloads. If you are not a BP user, have the gun thoroughly inspected by a competent gunsmith to determine if the gun barrels are of the quality to be able to shoot current low pressure shot shells

Well thanks for all yer help so far ...

This gun in Question ,Locks-up tighter than a Bank Vault, the bore shine like a new Dime ,The Stock is a very straight grained Walnut with less marks than my 66 got at my first match with it ....

The gun looks like it has been shot little,carried less and cleaned weekly ...

By indications of wear or lack there of I would guess this gun was made last week ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived