SASS Wire Forum

Hollywood Henry Rifle

I was watching Wagon Train this weekend. They got attacked by stock footage injuns again! :rolleyes: What caught my eyes was the guy next to Ward Bond was shooting a Hollywood Henry. I took a picture, please excuse the quality, it is a screen shot from my TV taken with my cell phone. Hollywood Henry Anybody doing this? Since it is black and white, it is hard to tell if the receiver is painted yellow. I'm thinkin this would be great for a B Western setup. Heck, I may need to get some buscadero holsters and some fancy B western garb and do this myself!

After looking again, that Remington sixshooter (that is Ward Bond's hand) doesn't look quite right either...

Model 92s with the wood forearm removed. After the big studios started liquidating their prop departments years ago, there were actually quite a few of those on the used gun market.

As to revolvers, I watched an old (John Wayne?) movie a few years ago, and the "Remington" revolvers were Colts with an underbarrel sail added. Also have seen Remington 75's used as 58's.

During the early 60s, there were so many westerns made, there weren't enought 92s to go around. One can see Rawhide and see they resorted to 94s, some even made to look like 73s.

Early "B" westerns, especially the Hoppies, did have a lot of original 73s used, and there were some authentic ones used on some TV westerns.

From what I read, those Colts, made to look like Remingtons, some were made out of potmetal, and some could be seen slightly bent.

Some off the other things one can watch for and see, is Gil Favor pistol is very often a wooden mock-up. On High Chaparral, because of injuries, pistols and some prop rifles were actually made from rubber. Watch sometimes when an indian is knocked off a horse with the rifle swinging, you can see the whole thing bend. Spurs in "B" were also sometimes rubber to avaoid injury in bar brawls, or removed for those segments, yet re-appear when the fight is over. MT

Archived