SASS Wire Forum

Bullet Alloys for Bullets

I'm sure someone here can answer this question. I've been all over the internet on this but haven't been able to find the answer.

I have about 100 pounds of pure lead and want to cast some 20-1 bullets for my Sharps 45-70.

I'm trying to determine if when a lead/tin alloy is rated as 20/1 if that is by weight or volume.

I have an ingot of lead/tin I got from a building supply house which is rated 50/50 lead/tin but even they can't tell me if that measurement is by weight or volume.

I'm trying to determine how much of my pure lead to mix with this ingot of lead/tin to get a 20/1 bullet alloy.

Anyone out there help me?

Sage Creek Gus

Metal alloys are mixed by weight. (Volumes of chunks of metals are REAL hard to measure.)

Your solder from the building supply is 50% (by weight) tin.

If you have pure lead, it is 0% tin.

You want an alloy of 20/1, which is 4.8% tin.

Basically, you want, for every 10 pounds of your soft lead, to add 1 pound of 50/50 solder. That will give you 11 pounds of alloy, with 0.5 pounds of tin in it. About 4.5% tin.

Close enough.

Good luck, GJ

I've been all over the internet on this but haven't been able to find the answer.
Gus, here's a web site you can spend hours reading, including cast bullet alloys. Put it in your computer references ... http://www.lasc.us/ ... The Los Angeles Silhouette Club

Good answers above, use the weight to measure your alloy formula

Ol' #4

Archived