SASS Wire Forum

Colt Lightning 45 Colt

Sagerider

If you shoot a Colt Lightning rifle clone in 45 Colt and don't mind responding to a few questions. Shoot me a PM or note, please. Thanks for the response. Idaho Sagerider

If you shoot a Colt Lightning rifle clone in 45 Colt and don't mind responding to a few questions. Shoot me a PM or note, please. Thanks for the response. Idaho Sagerider

I shoot a real Colt Lightning in 38-40, so I can't answer for what straight walled cartridges do, but all bottle-necked ones work.

The guy right below you is one of the go-to experts on working on most of the imports. Watch his videos on You-Tube.

Deadeye Dallas. ASK, and he'll answer. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The taurus clone I've got works....like molasses. It appears to want to reverse stove pipe when run at considerable speed. It would appear to have been designed for the bottlenecks as the on deck cartridge rides the carrier and needs to make it under a set of bolt guide lugs. These keep the shell from flying out the top of the rifle and set the angle of approach to the chamber. As there is no barrel hood for the nose to be driven against and into the chamber like a 1911, this angle is crucial as is bullet nose profile for decent feeding. Some folks say to use heavy bullets to lessen feeding issues while others suggest OAL changes. I think they should have reworked the gun to be less of a replica internally and more like a pump shotgun. I'm thinking the lifter has to be tuned and the lugs ground back a bit to achieve functionality with all case lengths without jacking rounds. It's like you have to be able to work on one to get one that runs.

I've got the Pedersoli in 45 LC. Love it! OTOH, I don't try to fire it like a machine gun, either. Mine has the 26" ctagon barrel and case-colored receiver. It's accurate, fast and dependable. From what I understand, Pedersoli reworked the innards, while Uberti simply reproduced the original.

ask away....dr3498@hotmail.com mine is a Uberti .45

I have an AWA that was sent back to Russell once and then Manatee did some smoothing out on it and it's been running fast ever since. Can't slam-fire it reliably but I can work the pump pretty quickly. Send pm or e-mail if you want.

Archived