SASS Wire Forum

Lone Rider

Apache Hawk 60642

I was starting to see things that I knew was not there. And my mind started playing tricks on me, more so than ever. I just kepted telling myself "Just keep puttin one foot in front of da other, boy. Just like yur Father taught ya one mile walk starts wif da frist footstep." I reached down to the dry dirt below my footsteps, stopping, I picked up a small rock, blowing some of the dirt off, I put it in my mouth and let my mouth moistine a bit. The wind was blowing hot and I knew it was atlest 110 in the shade, if any shade could be had. I felt something wet and saw it dripping on the the dirt below. I was still bleeding.

I could be easily tracked wih thoe pole marks in the ground, so I did not care to put a paste my of my blood and dirt into my wound, as I had done before when I thought I was beeing tracked. Moss worked will for it would heal the wound, but there was still an arrow and a shaft part in my back, very near my spine, I would later learn. The sun was high over head now. I had been either riding or walking mu horses all night and day to get this far. I was not about to stop,even if the horses where played out. I would carry Dolly on, in my arms if I had to.

I stopped to check on Dolly. She had went from a slight tan color to a dull white color. I again patted her hand saying, "Just a few more miles Dolly, den we will be alrat. Goona git ya fixed up at Ole Doc's back at Whiskey's town. He'll fix ya up rat." I said as I swung up into my blazing hot saddle. But that didn't even compair to the fire, and pure angony I was in now. But Dolly was my charge, like Whiskey, Dolly was my friend. I had often told my friends I would be willing to give my life for them. Now,it seemed, it would be put to the test.

"Ole Doc's office is just rat down from da Hangin' Tree Saloon. Whiskey owns it, I gots a 25 percent stake in dat." I said as I scaned my backtrail to see if any one was falling. Even my excellant eyesight could not see anyone, so I turn my glace to the horizion. All I saw was a vast enptyness, dust devils and catus and maybe a few scrub plants. "Scrub plants Dolly...."I said as if she was riding beside me. "Soon we'll be near water cuz ififn' ders scrub, water aint to fer away. Just got to kept ridin' and walkin'. Dats all Dolly....just ridin' and walkin...."

My mind went empty for a few minutes, not really thinking of nothing. That's how it is before you black out. I was praying for that.....the sweet and cool darkness to carry me away....to some place where I did not have to feel.....feel the lost of comrades in arms....my heart being broken not once but it would appaer twice..............But the Anicent Ones....the Ones who had been here in this land since the begining of time kept calling my name........."Hawk........Son of Standing Wolf........Hawk.....you must endure this for it is the Apache way not to fell !" So I kepted riding, looking to my side as if Dolly was right there. "Dolly,...you'd like Whiskey. She's tuff as nails and will not back down from a fight. Stands rat up to folk.....Hell, she's even stood up to me ! Yet I do not think I would want any other female type wimmin's folk at my side in a fight than Whiskey......Ceptin' you Dolly !. And Ole Whiskey, she runs off some of da best tatsin whiskey you have ever tatsed."

I felt the hard pan give way to the hot sand under my feet. Somehow I had gotten off my Appy and started back to walking again. With each step I could feel the pain of the arrow digging into my back, while pulling the shaft in with it."Din der's Big Goose. He's like a blood brother to me. He's as big as a black barr, and looks like he could tear yur head off yur shoulders as just look at cha. But do not let dat foll ya none....he aint gonna harn a fly. And he's a crack shot too. Uesed to be a sniper in da war, he did."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The night had fallen on us. I kepted conusiness, just barely. I don't understand it, but, somehow I kepted going. I knew the horses where played out ....I also knew a little rest would be good for all, where as if one dead, all would too. I stopped and built a small fire and layed Dolly be it to keep warn. She stired and that was a good sign that life was still within her. I was freezing but yet was in pain from the arrow and shift inbedded in my back. Warn, yet freezing cold. Hungery, yet, full of food and water. I was near blacking out. And I felt the calming wave of darkness sweep over me.

When I awoke, the fire had died to smoking coals. I reached around to touch my wound and found it was infected. "Hawk,...My Hawk, where are you ?" Dolly said in a few weak voice. I jumped to my feet and answered her by saying , "Rat here Dolly....You lay rat still now...won't be long now. Let me look at yur wound. " She blushed a bit and slowly opened her shirt to show her wound. It looked infected, so I said, "Dolly, looks like I'm gonna have to cut open yur wound.....git dat posion out." I said. I felt my own voice weakingly say. I ceared my throat to cover it.

"Please Hawk....don't hurt me, please !" she said as I pulled out my knife from the fire's coals. It was glowing red hot.

"It's da only way Dolly....or dat posion inside yur bullet wound will kill ya." I said to her. "Here...bite down on dis. I'll be as gentle as I can." I said, trying to reassure her and myself. "But what about you're...." And I pushed the knife into the puss filled wound and I watched as Dolly bite into the reins leather untill she passed oout again. I was glad to see her do that.

I broke the rag tag so called camp and pushed on town where Whiskey was. I just had to get there, some how, some way. But my strengh was weaking, I didn't know if I could make it. For the first time in my life, I thought about dieing and breaking my promise to Dolly and to Whiskey. I asked the my ancestors for gudiance as I thought I was ready to come home to them.

Cactus Jake didn't get called by that name because he was soft. He lived off the land and seen many a men die in the war and young men get kilt just from being plain stupid, he thought, and the women he'd layed with said he got the personality of a cactus, but bein rough in these lands is what kept you alive.

But when he saw that woman get a knife stuck into her chest, he felt that just wasn't right. He recognized a breed when he saw one, and there was some bad blood between him and the breeds for all the killin they done, even though he himself was a breed. And that woman begging to not get hurt seemed in a world of pain and he was going to put a stop to it.

Jake took out his knife and walked silently across the shadows, the whispers of the wind carrying the voices of the Old Ones into his ears, the night alive with the sound of the nocturnal beasts. Creatures which the world didn't understand, but which Jake had both killed and ran beside, he respected them for living in a world getting full of man, who didn't respect the earth and destroyed it to make their lives easier. Weak men, who couldn't survive a fortnight on their own out in the hot sun, without water easy to find and where your food might just make a meal of you first.

So he snuck up behind the breed after the man dug the blade around in the woman's chest, the blood flowly freely and the woman screaming til she passed into sleep....... or death.... Jake wasn't sure, though the wind seemed to carry the sound of her shallow breaths to him and so he had hope....

...and when he got close the other breed seemed twisted out of reality, some kind of nightmare daze, like the devil's weed was in his soul, covered in blood... his own and the blood of other men........ Jake swung aroudn his knife and pressed it into the hollow of the other breed's throat.

'Now what you think you're doin to that lovely lady there?' asked Jaked, asking it so quietly but that the man could hear him. 'She's lookin real beat up, friend, not much like she could handle much more of your ministrations...'

I walked beside my Appy, he almost was leading me instead of me leading him. It was blazing hot, and it was about 10 pm. All of us have not had a drink of water in three days and was in need of water, if not but just to wet our lips to ease the cracking that made them bleed. I folowed the stars homeward, but the sky turned as black as ink. It was seemingly hopeless, I had done all I could to get Dolly alive and easy her pain. The horses where starting to get winded, even though we had stopped a while back. And the pain searing pain in my back had stopped hurting, and that was not a good sign.

I was dieing a slow death. I had often wondered how I would exit this earth. Would it be fast and painless or would I suffer a lingering death. I realized it must be the later. But I took comfort in knowing I would be among the Anceint Ones, and rejoycing with them. I had settled that account a long time ago. I wondered about Dolly....Was she already dead or was she still passed out ? If I was to die here, what would happen to her, if she still was alive ? I wiped the sweat from my brow, and just kepted putting one foot in front of the other.

I thought back on how Whiskey and I met, and it made me smile. It was in the closing days of the war. Me and my men was fighting a hit and run war against Sherman's supply lines. We would be concelled in the brush or woods and would strike like lighting, kill all the blue bellies, take what we needed and disipear again. We came into town to unload our newly gotten supplies, when some blue boys ambushed us. I took shelter in Whiskey's Saloon, but she said "Aint nobody here, Yankee ! Now, git while the gittins' good !" I almost gave my self away by laughing so hard, as I saw their legs leave. That's when Sherman's troopers set Atlanta to the tourch.

I smiled as I thought how I met Big Goose. I was out hunting men, and fishing for supper when I felted as thorugh some one other than the Spirits, was watching me. I drew my dragoon, and aimed at the big bulk of a man, standing on the bank, staring at me. "Howdy !" he said. "Big Goose's da name. I aint seen nery man fer tree weeks !" I eased up and inveted him into my camp. WE talked, and we came to each other's aid when the othe needed it. And we have been best friends ever since.

But all my past, I feared is now at an end. I should not fear, but I fearded for all of them. Dolly and I met a lot of years back, when I was not yet marshaling. I was a card shark, and a preety damned good one, I must say. I could hold my own likker and at times I would act drunk, let these other players at the table win a few hands. The I would swoop in for the "kill" so to speak. I would clean them out. One time, my luck ran out, and those folks was gonna hang me on da spot, so I ran out of the Saloon and into a house of the "working ladies".

Dolly hide me in her bed, when they came looking and screamed when they brust her door open. Well, that lead to some good lovin', and Dolly whispered one night those three little words a wild running injun hates to hear. She whispered, "I love you !" Next day, I was out the door and on the long trail. Didn't see Dolly for four years. Went inbto her bed, and left again more times tahn I can remember. But, when she went with me this time, I was gonna tell her my running wild days were over and I'm ready to settle down. Now, I may not get the change.

My mind went blank for a long while, as I pushed onward. Just then, in the inky blackness, I saw two figures riding hard at me, shouting. "Da Aincent Ones are here, Dolly. I'm sorry Darlin, but I got to leave ya now. I'm soooooo...." then blackness as I fell face first into the sand.

Somethin was not settled, no, not settled at all. Even though was early evenin, the air was hot, dry and dusty. The flies were a buzzin, loud as June crickets in Jawja. Looked up to see a hawk circling overhead. Holy crow! I ran towards the stable.

Inside, Vern was doin for the horses as I ran in shoutin at him to saddle up my mount with supplies and water. "And get Big Goose, tell him to follow me." "Where you headed?" Vern asked. "I don't know, just north!" .

As the sun set, the desert seemed to get less friendly. The night crew was on the hunt and made its presence known. Goose and I rode on for a while in silence, just listening to the howls of coyotes and growls of bobcats. Goose was the first to spot a couple horses, a pack horse pulling a woman in a travois, the other lead by Hawk, who was lookin a bit worse for the wear. Goose and I spurred our horses into a full gallop. As we approached, Hawk shouted something I didn’t quite understand then passed out.

After Goose very gently rolled Hawk over and slid his dragoons out of the holsters, I splashed water on Hawks face. He woke up sputterin and reachin for his guns. "Hawk, it's us. What the heck happened?" Barely coherent at first, he finally managed to tell about his friend and the evil things Maddog and his men did to her. How people can do such, I'll never know.

We got Hawk on Goose's horse while Goose lead the pack horse and travois. It was slow goin, a fast bumpy ride could reopen Dolly's wounds.

We were in the Saloon for a full minute before anyone noticed us. As we were standing there, Goose carrying the still unconscious Dolly, me supporting Hawk, Josie saw us and screamed. The piano playing stopped with a crash. Then utter silence. The gamblers looked up from their cards, drinks were paused in mid air and then hell broke loose. I shouted out orders to the bartenders and girls to fetch the doc, help get the wounded upstairs tend to them. Had everyone runnin around like crazy. Finally, they were upstairs and Doc was with them.

After what seemed like an eternity, Doc came to us with a dour face. The jury was still out on Dolly. She was hit real bad and lost a lot of blood. Just had to wait it out. The good news was that Hawk would make it, be laid up for a few days, though.

This business with Maddog had to end. Now that Hawk was out of commission for a while, think it was time for me and Goose to pay a visit to Santana.

"Wait........Take me wif ya !" I said to Whiskey and Goose.

Whiskey pushed me back onto the doc's pallet, "You aint going nowhere Hawk ! Me and Big Goose here, is gonna put the end to all this business ! Once and fer all ! "

"Right Whiskey ! This has got to stop, Hawk !" Big Goose said.

I promt myself up and then suddenly sat bolt straight up and said, "I'm going wif ya, and dat's dat ! Santana wants Maddog and he's usin' y'all as bait fer me to git Maddog fer him. I think I know whar's he's holed up. And I know whar Santana's hole up too. I had planned on talkin' to Maddog, tellin'em dat ifin' we call a truce....git Santana together, den we'll go on our merry way or fight it to da death. Maddog's call."

"Whiskey got mad as hell. "Hawk......You aint going back out there and that's that ! I'm fed up and sick of you carrying all the weight of my Saloon ! Big Goose and me are going out and there aint a damn thing you can do about it !"

The Sawbones said to me, "Mr Hawk, bite on this peice of leather. The arrow is faily deep in you're back. And there is a wooden shaft to boot. I got to cut it out ! And it's gonna hurt like hell !"

"DOC, JUST CUT DA ARROW OUT AND GIVE IT TO ME ! " I shouted at the sawbones. I pulled the cork out of a bottle of rot gut and took a very long, hard pull and nodded to him to start. And he was right.......It did hurt like hell !

I looked Whiskey straight in the eye, and had another long hard pull of rot gut, never taking my eye off her. And for some reason, this frightened Whiskey some what.

Big Goose took Whiskey by the arm, going out of the Doctor's office to talk.

"Whiskey, I've known Hawk for many years. And I have only seen him like this one other time. And it did not end well for the others who were his enemies. Hawk knows where Maddog and Santana are. He has a plan that he will not share with us yet. He feels it's on a need to know basis. Plus he knows the red man who put that arrow in him. I say, we ride with him. For I surely do not want to ride agasint him when he's like this !" Goose said to Whiskey, who was taking all this in.

Whiskey put her hand on the door knob as she heard my groan in pain as the Sawbones did his dirty work.

"Don't !" Goose said to Whiskey, covering her tiny hand with his bear like paws. "If you go in now, Hawk will think you heard him and can to his rescue. He will lose face and that will embarress him. You do not want that."

"Goose, what do we do, then ? I value his friendship very much ! What do we do ?" Whiskey said.

"Let him come to us. He will, on his own time. Like I said, I've seen Hawk like this one other time. He came out of it then, he'll come out of it now." Goose said to Whiskey as they walked back to the Hanging Tree Saloon.

It was about two and a half hours before we saw Hawk, much paler and bandaged alot. He came into the Saloon and told Joise he wanted steak, taters, buscuits and a bottle over at the table. And that table was where Whiskey and Goose where sitting.

"Hawk, I just want to help.................." Joise say.

"Then git my order...................................Please !" I said. I whated Joise to know to stay out of this for now. But I just could'nt bring myself to be mean to her. She was the nicest person I have ever met. She saw me for me, and not a mixed breed. She did not desire to be hurt.

I walked over to where they where sitting and with my head down, I said, "I know whar Maddog and Santana is holed up. And I know how to git at'em. And thar's dis renegarde injun named Red Horse. He'll work fer da highest bidder. And I know whar he's gone to earth. But he'll be hardest to smoke out. "

Whiskey sipped on her whiskey, clearly upset with all this and said, "What happened Hawk......Little birdie tell ya this ?"

"Yes,....He did !" I said. My food came and Joise served it up. I didn't look up, but I put my hand on hers, just to let her know, that I had feelings for her and to stay out of this. The less she knew, the safer she was.

I cleaned my plate, liting a ceegar said to the two of them, "Walk with me." as I walked out the batwing doors. I walked outside, standing on the edge of the boardwalk. I looked up at the sky and it was a star lite night. The moon was shining as well. "I will rest up for a few days here. Let Maddog and Santana think dey've kilt me and Dolly. Din, we'll strike at'em hard ! And fast ! From tree directions too ! Ifin' Maddog wants to parlay, I'll talk. Ifin not, fight to the death."

Big Goose cleared his throat and remarked, "Colonel, permission to speak freely, Sir ?"

I responded, "All ways, Sergent, speak yur mind."

"Sir, may I request drawing some firepower and ammoution ? Our supplies seem low. May I also request I go to the quartermaters buliding to draw provisons for a field operation ? "

Looking up at Goose I seemed to be in a differant world. Ghostly white I said, "Of course Sargent, make it happen. But Sargent, remember we travel lightly. Do not draw to much !"

"Yes Sir !" Big Goose said, giving me a salute as he walked off into the night.

I looked at Whiskey and said,..It'll be the devil's own work soon, and he's welcome to it !"

After Dolly done told me what was up with the breed and that he was just done helpin her I thought it only right to see them through til their help arrived, and me bein raised to understand the earth I had some plants in my supplies that helpred with the healin of a wound and an in fection and soon the dust was stirrin up and the sound of horses hooves pounding the ground apporached us. Both of dem, de breed and da lady were real beat up and passed out.

There was a mountain man type who came and a woman bein called Whiskey who got the hellfire in her eyes when she saw me and the breed laying hurt and I said Ma'am I don't know nothin bout this sitation, just know I saw what I thought was a lady in destress but it seems they both fightin for their lives!

Well they took em back to the good Doc and in the meantime whiel hawk and his circle convised a plan I sat beside the bedsire of the woman and foudn out her name was Dolly from the Doc. She slipped in and out of the nightmares, seems a lot of troubles in that woman's mind. And scars on her skin as well as her soul. She went in and out of the dream state but finally the doc had her patched up and I don't know when it had happened but I had my hand in hers,she gripped it tightly and sat bolt upright! And looke din my eye and said, 'You're not Hawk!'

Well gollee that makde me laugh somethin proper! But I says no Ma'am I aint' but I pulle a bottle of whiskey out of my coat and took a sip and hande dit to her and she dit he same, it was good stuff and I said, 'You look like you sene the edge of life beore the drop to death ma'am and I'd lke to show you what it's like to really live.'

Outside my stagecoach was pulle dup to the outside of the doc's and I had my good horses hitched, thm ready and twitchin their ears and snortin, ready to ride. I jumped into the driver seat and patted it and Dolly hopped up beside me carefully. I put my arm around her real slow like and she goes, 'What's this alll about now mister?'

I smiled showin my crooked teeth and i said, 'Look, da streets know what just this is. Ghost ride da whip, up and down da strip. Da ghost bustas, dey da police, always wanna pull a rider over for his piece. Not me, I get in a scrape, cartwheel marks on the street look like figure eights. Dolly, you know where I'm going, from the north to da east in case you aint knowing.'

I crakced da whips and da horses started off at a trot, then i cracked it again and the horses went faster, the coach bobbin up and down with their pace.

'Maddog,' I continured, 'a town politic, hit saloon late trying ta holla at a chick, cant get in saloon... gotta parkin lot pimp! Hey now Dolly don't you holla at dat pimp!What you know about gettin you a whip? Buy yurself some shoes and then your coach kicks. Ice up ya neck, ya hands and ya whip, just to hang out da window and stuntin with ya click!'

Dolly was laughin at me and now I done stood up with the reins in my hand and cracked them and the horses rode on harder and faster, their hooves beatin the ground like a war drum, like a war drum of da great war between brothers, da dirty north and da south.

Dolly stood up beside me throwin her arms round my neck to steady hersefl. 'Wha tin tarnations are you doin mister Jake?'

And I answered her, 'When you get a new stage, uh huh uh huh, and you feelin' assuaged... whatchya gonna do? GHOST RIDE IT! GHOST RIDE DA COACH!'

And den i cracked da reins one more time and jumped out da coach and ran along side it, my boots hittin da ground easily as fast as da horses! and i Dropped down and did a Injun dance for Dolly aside a da movin coach!

Den when she started clappin I went on to say, 'Pull up hop out, all in one motion! Dancin on da hood while da stage is still rollin! Stuntin' shinin', flamboostin'...on one high, off of dat potion. Windows doowwwwn, feet out of it, Damn that feller high! He out of it! Thizzin T grettin, and grindin! Ceegar in his mouf, you know he big timin!'

Now da coach was going even faster, the wheels bouncin so hard dat Dolly's soft breasts were boundin up and down wif da beat of my ancient breed song. And da wheel spokes was startin to squeel wif da pressure but der was no stoppin Cactus Jake!

So I dropped down and did another Injun dance and said, 'Horses, donkeys, Appys, and asses too! First one I see ghost ride was Grizzy-Boo! Goin, dumb, party like Whiskey-doh. Mistah Fab I'm the price of the city Hoe! Ghost ride! Ghost ride! Get out da way, let the Ancient Ones drive! Ghost ride, go crazy! Whos' dat drivin? Patrick Swayze!'

Sudeenly as if the da spirits of the ancient ones caught her, Dolly hopped down beside me and despite her multiple stabbings in da chest and infetion and that she'd been brutally gang raped she was up wif me dancin! Keepin up wif us and she said, 'When you get a stage, uh huh uh huh, and you feelin assuaged, whatchya gonna do? GHOST RIDE IT! GHOST RIDE DA COACH!'

Now da wheels spokes started snappin like brittle bones of my enemies when I done tore down those dirty Yanks and smoek started plumin out from da back and da horses was foamin at the moufs with the power of da ancient one sinside of them. WEe ran even faster and she grabbed my hands and we dropped down and di dthe dance of her acneit people and den we hopped straight up onto da roof of dat stagecoach and she yelled, 'Cactus Jake maybe Hawk was a good lover... but den again maybe you a better one!' and for a few seconds we made deep love and when it was done and der was da fire in her eyes we got back up withough me even pulling my pants all da way back up and together me and Dolly said, 'Now stop stop stop stop now go go go go! Get out da coach! Get out da coach! let it roll let it roll let it roll let it roll. Grab dem reins, Open up dat door, open up the doo, Now that's ghost ridin! What's ghost ridin? Ya know, ya know ya know... now ya know!'

Den da bumpin of da coach became so much from the ancient ones in us dat we were throw from da top of it and had to run along side it and my pants wasn't up so even do I was a champ at ghost riding I had to take em off because they was warpped around my legs just like da dirty yanks are wrapped aorund my rights as a free man. So we ran along side it and did mor dancin.

Den I was so proud of Dolly I said, 'It's not that hard, you can do it! Cha wanna go dumb, just loose it! Bay game, bay slang, It's a bay thang, so just when you know you come to da bay man, whiskey in glasses, grizz got skillz, rippers is hawks scrapers coachmobiles, Dolly is hyper, our version of crunk, Grizzin is high and perkin is drunk!'

I poured myself a cup of coffee, and while we ran along side da coach we had a meal of bear pot pies, corn bread, rye bread, grits, potates, gravey, pork, bald eagle bacon and more whiskey!

Den suddenly da coach started swirvin off and it was rollin towards da jail! Da plums of smoke got thicker and den suddenly there was a BOOM! and da coach done exploded like a yankee's head when hit with a bullet and der was fire everywhere and wood flying past us, and the horses careened into da side of da saloon and dat exploded too!

'Whiskey ain't gonna like dat one much!' said Dolly.

And I jus tlaughed a big laugh and shrugged and put my arm around her and said, 'Well, when you get a new stage, uh huh uh huh, and you feelin assuaged... whatchya gonna do?!'

'GHOST RIDE IT!' she said!

I kissed her and asid, 'Ghost ride da coach!'

Whiskey sallowed hard, and asked me, "What does that mean Hawk ? What are you going to do ?"

I turned my head to look at her, and saw her gasp at the sight of my face, half in shadow of my hat, the other covered in war paint. I could see the look of fear in her eyes. I knew it was not fear of the unknown, but instead, the fear of knowing what Goose and I was planning to do.

"You can't do this Hawk. Goose will be killed and you , well, will finsih being killed ! " Whiskey said as she grabbed my arm. I looked at her and then her hand on my arm. She slowly removed her hand from my arm. Back in the old days, a man would have died by my pistol for much less. But I was much older now, about even balance of red to white, a US Marshal and half dead. I was walking in the Spirit World and the Land of White Men at the same time.

"As soon as the Sergant returns from his duties, I must have recon on Maddog's men and their movements before we attack. Yes Whiskey. I mean to attck HIS men for a change. I need to know where der holed up...what is der postions...lines of fire....killing field...defencive postions and reenforcements, if any. Need to learn whar der animals are tied. Ifin' der fresh or played oout. What weapons and whar. As soon as I have the information I need, Sergent Goose and I shall move. Once we are past Maddog's men, then I will release one of his captured men with a note asking for a truce between us long nuff fer a talk."

Whiskey knew my mind was made up and there was no use it trying to chance it.

"Well, guess thre's no use in trying to change you're mind, so...shall we drink on it ?" Whiskey asked, trying to raise a smile out of me.

I turned and opened the batwinged doors for her and said, "If you will pour." She smiled at me because when I said that, it was gonna be a hell rasing night to follow. This was not the case tonight. I sat and Whiskey poured the amber fliud into my glass and I slowly sipped it, feeling it's numbing effect go straight to my brain. Joise came in with a plate full of food. She whispered into my ear, "Eat this Hawk....it will give you strenth." and then she walked away. Whiskey went into the kicthen to see why Joise was crying, but to this day, I'll never know.

When Whiskey returned from the kicthen, she saw my whiskey glass empty and so was my plate. And Big Goose had teturned from his assignment, and was talking to me.

"Colonel, everything has been ordered and will be ready come morning to noon. " Goose said. I looked worryed at him, as we would loose the element of surpise. "It was the best they could do at short notice, Sir." Goose said. I knew it would have to do.

"Sargent, I need you to preform recandore on da enemy just here. " I said pointing to a map. "As soon as I have da information, we will attack. Draw da provisions you need and go." Yes Sir", Goose said winking at Whiskey. "And Sargent, " I responded..."You will need dis weapon as yur skills require it's use." tossing his Sharps 45-110 back to him. He left as quitely as he had came in.

"Whiskey, I'm going to pay a vist on Dolly...See what the Doctor has to say about her condition. I then shall return here to have some of yur fine homemade whiskey, ifin you do not mind." I said to her.

Whiskey was glad to see that I was slowly returning to my normal state, but not yet there. She could see red through my shirt and knew the ound from the arrow and shaft i had suffered before her and Goose arrived to save us, had opened again. And she could see, I was in cansiderable pain, although I was too proud to show it.

I knocked on the Sawbone's office door and heard the click..click of a muled ear 12 cocking each hammer.

"Doc, it Hawk. Comin' over to check on Dolly. Can I come in ?"

The door slowly opened to the darkness and all I saw was two barrels pointed at me in the moon light and a figure of a man in shadow, lit only by lantern lite. "Come on in Hawk. " was the answer and I stepped inside as he quickly colsed the door.

"Thought you was one of Maddog's men ! Heard tell there was one here watching when Whiskey and Goose brought you in. How's you're wound ?" He asked and I turned enough to block his hand.

"Here to check on Dolly." I said. "How's she doin' Doc ?" I asked. I was fighting back the thoughts of the ordeal we went through.

"Well, it was touch and go there for a while." Doc said as he pulled his spectals down, looking over the tops of them at Dolly, who, was sleeping soundly at the time. "She ain't completely out of danger yet. In the morning I'll know for sure. I've treated alot of men back during the war, cutting off arms and legs.....blood awash every where....But I never seen such dogged determintion to pull through as what that woman has. She's gonna have some nasty scars through Hawk. And, you did a pretty good job at cuting out that bullet and draining the puss from her wound. Speaking of which, let's have a look at you're wound, please."

I turned sharply at the Doc's movement toward my back. He took his glasses off and said, " I would not go after the men what did this to you Mister Hawk ! Now, knowing yoou like I do, I'll be willing to wager that you're wound has opened again and that you have not followed my instructions. Now, as long as you are in my ofice, you will do as I ask, or you can leave and not return. Let me have a look !"

I sighed, and let him have a look. Taking my buckskin shirt off, I felt his hand touch my back and heard him say, "Hummmmm..looks like you pulled all my sewing out. Well, looks like I' gonna have to do some fancy new stiches I read about that the Doctor's are using back east. Drink this" he said to me."It'll ease the pain but not too much. That stuff has opium in it. Take it easy on that stuff Hawk !"

I got a slug of that stuff and it tasted god alful. And I felt the sting of needle passing through raw living flash. Again and again, I flet that same sting with a tug of the thread inbetween stings. Another slug of that alful tatseing stuff and I could fell no pain. The Doc helped me put my shirt back on and as I eased off his table I said, "Thanks Doc...not only for dis..." I said, "But fer takin' care of Dolly. Can't pay ya yet...got unfinished bussness to a tend to..But I will pay ya, do not worry." and I walked out the door, heading back toward the Hanging Tree Saloon.

Pushing through the batwinged doors I spyed Whiskey talking to some costermers at the bar. I spoke softly in her ear..."Ifin' I do not make it back, see to it Joise gits dis." and putting the piece of paper in her shirt pocket and grapping a bottle of whiskey from the bar.

"Put dis on my tab, Darlin !" I said as I looked to Joise. She smiled like a kid in a candy store and ran upstairs to her room and I walked up the stars, smiling as wel.

Whiskey took a large glass of drink over to her table, sat down and took out the paper. On it was written the following words:

My name is Hawk. I fit in da War between da States as a Colonel of da st Texas Calvery, 3rd Division under General J.E.B. Steward. I want all of my earthly possions to go to Joise Forrest, to include my ranch over in Horizen City, Texas and halk the gold mine I discoverd here. The other have I wish to go to Whiskey Bussiness. Signed, Colonel A. P. Hawk....1st Texas Calvery, Commanding, now reitred , U.S Marshal, badge number 60642"

Whiskey took a very hard pull from the glass, which when she finished was damn near empty, leaned back in her chair, said something in french and said in english, "I'll be damned !"

Big Goose returned about dawn with his report. "Colonel Sir, I beg to report."

"Go ahead Sargent, report." I responded.

"I located their defences sir. Their in the low hills and brush that's natrual in that country. Just beyound the small stream. It's wide, but shallow and easily forded. Their weapons inculed rifles and pistols, no particklar exploed weapons of any kind that I saw. And there was atleast 12 to 14 men.

" I have got two pack horses loaded for a long operation, if it becomes nesisary. Beans, flour bacon , coffee and such. 500 boxes of ammo and tools to dig with, in case we need to make earth works."

"Very good Sargent. Best you git some rest. We'll ride out at sundown and set up camp then. Dis-missed !" I said. And then I said, "Goose, have a drink....it'll help ya sleep." I was back, out of the fog of war. I was still pale from all the blood I had lost, in pain and trying to get drunk, but it was not happening. There was something wrong, but I didn't know what it was.

I walked up stairs with a drink in my hands, opened the door to Joise's room. She was setting on the edge of her bed and I could tell by the redness of her eyes, she had been crying a lot. I steped inside, closing the door behind me, taking off my hat and untieing my headband, letting my long silver braids fall. I walked over to her, lifting her head with my hand. I looked her in the eye and as she stood up, I wrapped my arms around her, saying in Apache, Na wak till na. Ons sayna pos da ya. Joise smiled and looked me n the eye, her tears had now become the tears of happiness. "I speak Apache, Hawk, and I am proud to be you're women !"

We took each other clothing off and loved the night away. But I still could not sleep. I got dressed and went downstairs into the Saloon below. "Bottles, I need a drink." I said.

"Hawk, I can't give ya Whiskey good stuf unless she's here to say so. Please don't kill me sir ! I'll have ta give ya what other costumers git, sir !" the barkeep replyed.

"I aint in da killin' mood just yet. Give me what the others drink." I said as I tossed down two bits. "Hawk, ya own part of dis Saloon. Ya drink fer free !" he said, holding up the two bits. "It's a tip fer following Whiskey's orders." I said as I stood there at the rail, my head down trying to figure out why I could not sleep. I heard the bat winged doors open and a fermilar jingle of spurs came toward me. Each man out west had to make do with what was avalabe. Most fire arms and clothing was hard to come by. But if you had gold, then you could get what you wanted as soon as the next stage.

But a cowboy's spurs was like his roping cuffs. They where his signature to the world. And this signature I knew was evil and more impotantly, this evil wanted me dead.

He walked up to the bar, ordered a drink, threw it back. Then he turned to me and said, "Well...Well....If it aint the one they call Hawk. Awake and drinkin' to boot ! I thought I would have to shot up this little town to git you to come out. Looked for ya out at yur camp, you know the place...where you're mine is."

I took my hammer strap off my right side dragoon and losen it from the leather. I threw the drink back and ordered another. Then I motioned for the barkeep to stand clear. "Just what do ya want, Mister ? My gold ?"

"Naw, aint got no need fer it whar I'm going. " he said.

"Dat's about rat !" Faster than greased lighting, my dragoon was clear leather, a Boom, smoke filled the bar and this stranger had a bullet hole in his gut. I walked up to him as he dropped his 45 and looked at the gaping hole in his middle and said, "I had to know, ...I had to try !"

"I know Mister !" and shot him again at point blank range. He jerked and looked at me. And, once again, I saw the life leave his eyes. I gentle like, layed his body down on the floor and folded his arm across his chest. "Barkeep, best go wake the undertaker and tell him to build two coffins. In dis heat, dis ole boy is gonna git mite ripe after a spell."

Bottles looked puzzled and said, "But Hawk, why two coffins when theirs only one feller that's dead ?"

"Cause......I aint done killin' just yet." I took the bottle from which I had been drinking from, went over to the table and had a seat with my back to the wall.

"Will not be long now." I thought. "Des boys ride in pairs.......da other will be here soon." I poured another drink, sipping it and set back and waited. In a while I lit a ceegar and thought, "Yup, any time now" and drew deep on the cegar.

I was leaning back aginst the wall and thinking. "now if I was told by Maddog to follow someone who was just kilt, what would I do next ?" that's when I heard the unmistakeable clicking sound of a mule eared double being cocked. I leaped for the bat winged door just as the wall I was leaning against exploed. I quickly drew my dragoon and when I got to my feet, I drew the other one.

Then I saw a rider, rideing fast out of town. The town's folks, some in their night cloths with sleep still in their eyes others had work clothes on, but all had a rifle of some kind in their hands. I holsitered my weapons and grabed a rifle , lined up the shot and touched it off. And we watched the what to be outlaw fall, face first to the ground. I had shot through the saddle seat and striking him in his butt.

Walking up to him , I pulled him to his feet and with one hand I squzeed his throat and asked, "Maddog sent ya, right ? You whar sent here to report back to Maddog ifin da young made it alive up agin me, right ? RIGHT ?" I said to him. And he nodded yes. "Tell Maddog I am still the fastest and I want a meeting....a parlay. No guns, no knifes..no men...just me and him. Out in the open.....got it ?" I asked as I lifted the shinny form in the air with one hand. He chocked out a yes and I dropped him on his butt. I cryed out in pain, but rode on that saddle anyway, all the way back to where Maddog was holed up.

Just then Whiskey camerunning out, pulling her pant on with one hand and waving her Peacemaker around. "What the hell's going on he........THERE IS A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF MY SALOON......WHO DID THIS, I'LL KILL'EM ! HAWK, WHAT DID YOU DO ?" She was screaming at me loudly and it came from her gut. Remember that saying, Hell has no fury like a women's scorn ? Whiskey would make the devil himself back up a step or two. While Whiskey was shouting something in a language I did not understand, but some in the town did. The surpised look on their faces was amazing.

Joise came down and took me by the arm, leading me to her room. As we entered Whiskey came into the Saloon and shouted, 'JUST WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS MESS, HAWK ?!" I said to her, "It's just a hole in the wall. Holes in walls can be fixed, lives lost can not. " I said as I was closing Joise's door, just as a whiskey bottle broke agasint it and Whiskey was screaming something in that language again.

In a few mintues Goose came up and kncoked. "Come on in Goose fore Whiskey takes holt of another bottle !" Joise was amazed at that I could tell that the knock was Goose. I said, "Ifin you have been through what I've been through with Goose, you would get to know their habits, good or bad. Most important their knocks. " I said. "Also, Hawk here, does not like to be called Colonel !" Big Goose said. I threw my whiskey back, and looked Goose in the eye and said, "War's over Goose. And damn it, we lost. So drop it Sargent." I said pouring another drink. I was drinking whiskey in the early morning. In fact, I've been drinking whiskey since before sunup on Friday morn. "OK, Colonel !"

"Got all the stuff you asked for and a few more I thought off." Goose said. Abd Joise asks, "Big Goose, who did you ever come by you're name ?" Goose blushed and said, "I don't think you would find that interesting." And he said, "Most likely when you met with Maddog, he will have every men with a gun, trained on you." I smiled and said, "Den, we'll have all our guns trained on his head, all tree of'em !" And Joise said, "Make that four of them !" branishing a carbine.

"Goose will you......" I said nodding my head toward the door. "Oh...hum...Hawk let me know when you're ready." As I closed the door I said, "Come sundown tomarrow nite. First we drink ....outside of crouse !" Big Goose laughed as he walked out the room.

I sat Joise down and told her, "Look...I was married one time before. We built a working ranch in West Texas. But the small pox took'em. And my heart. I was walking dead untill I saw you. Then I let you touch me, in the flesh and soul. I had built a wall and no one could get through. No one that is but you. One look..one touch...one kiss...and that wall came down."

I looked at Joise and said, "Yur turn !" She took my hand, looking me in my eyes and said in Apache, "das mak cain ya tok she ia !" I smiled at that and then the colthing started falling off. I slept like a baby that night.

That night Whiskey was still bend out of shape about the large hole in her wall. But before I had even taken a sip, I went to the local carpenter. He said he could repair it if Whiskey would be willing to wipe his bill clean. I told him I would ask her and he grabed my arm before i could move. "Not my drinkin' tab and the 'other tab'! and winked at me. I asured him that it will be done if he does the work.

Then I walked over to our table where Big Goose and Joise sat waiting for me. I was surpised Joise was setting there and not tending bar. I sat down with them, and Whiskey came over with her "stock" and poured us all a round. Although she was still upset about the hole in the wall. after we talked about that and how we where going to git Maddog to play along with us agsint Santana, but I wanted the injun Red Horse. That betrayer of the poeple was all mine !

Then there was this drunken cowboy who was waving his colt around, and intimadating most of the Faro players. That was my game and you just do not mess with my money. I walked over to him and asked what is his problem. "I know you breed......Aint gonna watse my time talkin' to a breed !" He layed his big hands on the cards and the bottom of a waitress. That did it ! I pulled my throwing hawk from it's throng, and cut off the hand on my cards ! His scream was heard by the drunk Sawbones in the conor, who was making his way over to him. I tied my throwing hawk back to my hip and said, "Big Man, Guess you gonna have to learn to shoot wif ya other hand !" and lead him and the drunk Sawbones out the swinging doors.

I looked at the folks at the table. Most had a surpised look, Whiskey had a smile on her face. We kept throw and sipping whiskeys but some in the Hanging Tree Saloon liked beer. There was this one big man, close to us, had a mouth full of beer, and spit in that little mexican feller's ear. This got Big Goose all upset and such. He jumped up, drawing his fighting knife and sliced off his ear even with his side burn ! But Goose was a gentleman about it, and picked it up off the fithy floor , handing it back to him,. Goose said, "Big man, next time you have the urge to spit a little beer, just open up you're hand and spit it in you're own damn ear ! Won't be no trouble that way !"

That big drunk, his eyes full of tears, was escorted out by Whiskey and the drunken Sawbones.

The blazing over head sun was quickly turning to a purple sky. The dry hot day had now become a hot dry night. I had all things ready to ride out and meet Maddog, ififn' the feller I let live, lived long nuff to tell Maddog my message and that Maddog would go along wif da plan.

Every thing was ready, it ws time to eat and then relief myself before the trip. After a fine meal, I would have to go back to my Injun roots, the comforts of the whiteman I had know, was about to be left behind. I went into the outhouse but before I could drop my pants, I heard heavy foot falls outside the door.

"Who's in der ?" a deep rough voice demanded to know.

"None yur bussiness !" I said as I cocked both my dragoons. The door and partly closed and through the half moon cut out, I saw a leveling of a Spencer rifle at the door. "Uh..." said the deep voiced man. "Let;s dance !"

Before he could fire that Spencer rifle, I kicked the door open, hitting his rifle barrel, causing it to fire into the dust below. I never fired in a fight the way gunfighters do, ..I thought it ws silly but I have found my guns blazing away, riddling the deep voiced man and pushing him backward at least 5 paces.

I pulled up my pants, stepped outside the outhouse door, Whiskey came running up along wif Goose. Whiskey looked down at the dead man, and bend down to close his dead eyes. Goose said to me, taht I couldnt even go to the outhouse without stiring up a fuss. He pointed to the trap door, which was stiring in the breeze. I felt embrassed to say the least. Whiskey had the biggest smile on her face I had ever seen !

Going back to livery and reloading on the way, Goose asked, "You got paper on that man, Hawk ?"

"Most likey, but he'll go to hell with out me knowing. We got to get movin' to meet Maddog ifin' dis deal is gonna work." I replyed.

I swung up into my saddle, Goose did the same but grabbed the lead rope to the two pack horses. As we rode out, Whiskey joined us, riding her mare, wearing her PeaceMaders on her slinder hips and her trusty carbine in her saddle scaboard. We knew Maddog had men in town. The killin' at the outhouse proved it was so. Would we be jumped before we could get to the meetin' place which I had told Maddog to be ? I hoped not, but we was prepaired for a fight in case it came our way.

We got to the meeting place I told Maddog we would meet early. It was 10:00 PM and the meeting was to be at the stroke of 12:00 AM. I survewed the area and thought I saw some movement out in the darkness.

"Goose, take up a postion over there.." I said, pointing to a slight raise in the land. " Keep yur eyes open and movin'. Ifin. Maddog comes, you keep yur rifle trained on his head. Ifin' a bullet finds me, you make damn shore, yur bullet find's his head." Goose shook his head yes, and into the darkness he went. I was amzed at how he could do what he could do. Livin' amogst da Soiux taught him well.

I turned to Whiskey and said, "Take up a postion over der..." I said, pointing to a small washed out spot in the open land. " Keep yur eyes open fer any movement and Whiskey Gal, ifin' Maddog kills me, you make damn sure ya kill him !"

"uh...Hawk, what happens if you do get shot ? I don't trust this follow one bit. " she said. She sounded truely worryed about me.

"Do not worry bout me, Gal. I still got work here in dis world to do. The Spirits told me so !" I said and smiled at her.

"Hawk"...Whiskey called out to me...."Nice backside !"

That made me blush so I was glad it was dark. I watched the darkness gobble her up and I made a small fire, jut to let Maddog's men know I was here. I pulled out a peice of hardtack, starting to eat it, I could feel eyes on me. I knew Maddog's men was out there, watching, waiting.

Suddenly, I saw a small fire off in the night. I was down wind from the fire and couls small the smoke it made. And I could smell the sweat of their rode hard horses. "Des white men would be mite easy to track, making all dis noticeable thins'."

Just then I saw a figure emarge from the thick darkness. Like I was, that figure wore no arms, let let Goose and Whiskey had done, I'm sure his men had all der rifles trained on me.

"I see ya got my message, Maddog. And I guess da feller dat told ya bout dis meetin' place is talkin' to his maker." I said.

"I admire you're sand, Hawk. You got guts calling a meeting, at night, " Maddog said, swiping his hand around, signaling his men, "Out here in the middle of this wild land, in the middle of the night. Why,...something could be hideen in the darkness both won't know till it's to late."

"I aint know fool, Maddog. I know ya got guns on me, and ya know I got guns on ya as well. So let's just cut to da chase here. We both know der's no love lost tween you and me and Santana. Member when he left ya fer dat posse while he cut out and left ya fer dead one other time ?"

I could see I had he attention now. "I sure as hell do, and I proimsed I would get even with that back stabbing bastrd. Go head Hawk, tell me what ya got on you're mind. Maybe I'll let you ride out of here !"

I smiled becuse he know I had rifles trained on him, even as we spoke. "I know whar Santana's holed up. Ifin' ya attach him yu'll lose all yur men. Ifin' ya try to sneak in, all his men gaurd him like a ma cat do her kittens. Dis is what I suggest. We ride in together, you as my prisoner, cuz he told me to bring you to him to kill. Now, ifin you agree I'll leave yur ropes loose, let ya slip out and start shoottin' yur way out da back side of his compound."

"I'll be right der beside ya, firin' away, ...I kepted my promise to Santana and brought ya to him. I did not say I would leave with out ya. Now, ifin' ya want, ya can have yur men, well, what's left of'em, attack so ya do not have to share Santana's gold."

" Santana has gold ?" Maddog asked. I knew by this that he needed money for his plans to take over the little town near the Hanging Tree Saloon. I geuss I had to chose which was worse, fight Maddog's men to only have Santana's hired guns pick up where Maddog's men left off. Santana had alot of men, three times that of Maddog, maybe five times. Much meaner da his men also.

"Yup, and I know whar. Santana do not know dat I know, and I will tell ya, ifin' you agree wif my plan." I said.

"He has gold ? And Yankee paper money too ?" Maddog said.

"Dat he do. He's so confatend, dat he's relaxin' around and such. Well, are ya in, or do we dead together rat here dis night ? Da call is yurs, Maddog."

Maddog again waved his hand around and said, "It's a deal, Hawk. But I'll tell ya one damn thing. As soon as I get clear and got his money, we'll end this partnership. And the killing of Santana is on you."

I knew his rifles where know off me now, but I kepted mine on him. We both backed away from each other. I got into the night as quick as I could, picked up my rifle and aimed at a moving shadow. Then a gun shot rang out. But it was not Big Goose and it was not Whiskey. It was Maddog himself, shooting one of his own men for that man was gonning to shoot me.

I signaled Goose and Whiskey to come in. "We're gonna make small camp rat here. Build up da fire abd git some coffee goinn'. I go git us some fresh meat fer breakfast."

"Hawk, this is not the best place to make camp, but I guess you know what you're doing. " Whiskey said, looking rather puzzled at me.

"He does know what he's doing, Whiskey. He's got my bacon oout of a fire many a time,...He know's what he's doing. He is respondceable for our lifes. He will not let anything happen to us, that i promise you."

I went hunting and got three jacks with one shot, and a rattler. Then other snake slide down a hole before I could get a hand on him. His kin, however was not so lucky. One crack like a bill whip and it's head went flying. I brought them back to camp where Goose had bisciuits baking and Whiskey had some coffee cooking.

"It's going to be a very long night, Hawk." Goose said. "I am not letting any one get the drop on us ! Drink up folks, there's plenty where that came from."

Whiskey checked the dutch oven, while I was dressing the game. Big Goose lent a hand. She cheched the busciuts and fanned a little over my way.

"Dat's smell good, Whiskey. Knew I taught ya well. Too bad ya aint da marryin' kind, or I'd have sagged ya up years ago !" I said, throwing Goose an elbow.

"I aint and will never be the marrying kind ! I'm a bussiness women and my choosen bussiness is the Saloon bussiness, I have y'all know !" Whiskey chamed at us as we started to laugh. It seemed the dark mood the was over me had pasted, but that would be short lived.

Whiskey took a cup of coffee, a busciut and some fryed rattler. She held up the small piece of cooked meat and said to me, "I aint gonna eat no damn snake, Hawk ! Don't care what you say !"

"Well, Whiskey, when ya took me to met yur mama, ya cooked me up some gater and I swar I ain't gone ate somethin' dat ates me ! I ate gator fer ya, now you'd best eat dat rattler, or else !" I said, laughing a bit.

"Or else what, Hawk, pray tell ?" Whiskey said, a smile on her lips and a raised brow.

"Ya don't what to find out what else. EAT ! " I said. She took a bit and the next thing I knew, it was all gone and she was asking for more !

The the light and happy mood was not to last. Come sun up, I was standing watch when I spotted a figure out on the flat land, and he was getting larger by the minute. It was Maddog ! I didn't try to hide myself, but to the contray. I made my presents knewn by pulling the spy glass out of my saddle bag and look through the dirty glass. Sure enough, it was Maddog, and more importatly, he was not heeled. I woke Goose and Whiskey, who, where sleeping lighty.

"Der.." I said to Whiskey, "just passed da sage brush....and he's not heeled. Looks like he got my message."

"Looks so, Hawk. But I don't want to find out where the messager is !" Whiskey said, handing the glass to Goose.

"Most likey,trying to tell St. Peter why he did what he did." I said to Whiskey.

I turned to Goose, took off my dragoons, my fight and scalping knifes, handing them to him. Whiskey looked very worryed as I stepped out.

"You don't trust this man do you, Hawk ?" she said.

"Not as far as I can throw him. But I anit un-armed, Whiskey Darlin. I know dis land and the creatures here,...Maddog do not ! Now git to yur postion and be quick about. Remember, rat fer da head !" I said and stepped on out.

I walked out into the open, looking for men with rifles, but didn't see any. It was dead quite, expected for the raceing of my own heart. Then as I got into range, I heard rifles cocking. I knew Whiskey and Goose where ready as well.

"Well, By God, the half breed himself...Standing out here in front of me, big as life ! You've been as thorn in my side for a very long time. So, what is this meeting all about.

? he asked.

"Bout time ya faced me man to man, instead of havin' yur thugs toyin' wif me. I gonna cut rat to the chase. You know a feller named Santana ? " I said Maddog's anger go even higher at that name.

I continued. "Well, he wants me to track ya down and bring ya back to da house, white house in the next town back down da trail. He'll not kill my freinds then."

You're freinds......Ha.............I'll kill'em too ! Maddog shouted and stepped toward me.

"Won't do dat, ifin' I was you, Maddog. See, der's tree rifles pointed at yur head and ifin' ya touch me, yur dead. Just like I would be wif ya ifin' I did not have back up. "

Ahhhhhhhhh....Alright breed.....what do you think of doing ?" Maddog roared.

I looked him right straight in the eye, not backing down and said, "Taking you back with me, we kill Santana together, you git da gold."

He stammered and reply, "Gold......did you say gold Breed?"

"Yup,...Yankee paper money too. Bout 5 thousand, I figure." I said. "You can have it all. I do not need it, but I do need my freinds, Maddog !"

Maddog pushed his hat back and I thought that was a signal. "You fool ! You think freinds will stay ? They'll be gone last a rain drop. What's you're plan Breed ?"

"Tied you up, but leave da ropes very lose, take you into Santana, you git free and we kill'em together, den I show ya whar the money is ."

"Sounds too damn easy, and I don't like this tied up thing. You'd best find another way !" Maddog yelled.

"Well, der aint no other way. Yur ropes will be so lose, yuo'll have to hold'em so dey do not fall. Den, I'll toss ya a pistol and we kill Santana." I said.

"What makes ya think I won't turn on ya and kill you or I've not thrown in with Santana already ? Ever think of that Breed ?" Maddog yelled out.

"I did. Deys only gonna be one bullet in dat pistol, so make yur shot count. But ifin' ya shoot me, Ya will not find whar da gold is it !" I said with a smile, further adding salt to the wound. "Now ....what's it gonna be.....we kill each other here and now, or kill are main enemy and live to fight anothert day ?"

"DAMN IT !" Maddog shouted. I knew his gread and it got the best of him. If I played it right I could kill Santana and Maddog all at the same time.

"Ok, where do we meet, breed ? I want him dead and I want his money !" Maddog said. He was much calmer now, knowing that to get the gold, he had to play by my rules.

"In my camp, just over der." I pointed to a little raise in the land. "We'll work it out der. Din two days from now, we'll met here and ride into his compound." I said.

Maddog looked flabergasted. Why two days breed ?"

"Cuz dat's when Santana is to check dat money ready to put in his bank. It'll be garuded some what but yur ad mine mens can take out dem."

"OK, BREED.....but I'm trusting you. Do not double cross me !" Maddog said, shaking his fingure at me.

I smiled real big and said, Oh, I wood never do dat, Maddog !" and walked off.

I walked back to my horse. I had two days to figure out what I was going to do. The Halfbreed did not know I was out of money and I only had 5 men left since he had killed most of them. One thing, I had not completly lost my mind, there was no way I would ride in with out being armed, I was going to have to play his game, and one thing for sure, that breed would die if he crossed me.

:angry: :angry: Maddog McCoy :angry: :angry:

As we rode back to the makeshift town, Whiskey asked, "What did you mean, back there, when you was meeting up with Maddog ? You said you was armed. How ?"

I reined up and they followed and reined up to. I dismounted and stired the sand and dirt under my feet, and a small critter stired.

"Dis lizzard is very much poison, ifin' a man touchs it. Not harmfull to hosses t'all. But fer white man and women, kill ya in less din two minutes." I picked up a stick and threw it into some bruch and the sound of a ratter could be heard, which spooked the horses somewhat. "Easy big feller...easy." I said, rubbing his mussel. "And dat brush dat was behind Maddog, very sharp thorns. Stich a man right to da bone. Out here, a man's up agin it. Ya gotta watch whar ya squat cuz it'll either stick ya stab ya or bite ya !"

"So, Hawk, that lizzard will not kill you ?" Whiskey asked. "Are we", motioning to herself and Big Goose, "folks as well ?"

" I said white men an women. I did not say human. Apaches are human !" and swung back into my saddle.

Whiskey just fumed and Goose smiled and chuckled.

When we came into the small little town, we went straight to the new livery stables. We talked and unsaddled horses and the pack horse. Whiskey remarked at how well I was doing after being near death a few weeks ago. I'm glad she bought the show, cuz I was hanging on by a thread. I swore Doc to keep stil about this, and had the undertaker built me a coffin and the local tribe of Apaches to fit me for a sky rack. Tardtional Apaches do not believe in underground burying. But above ground. When the body melts away, as we call it, we gether up the bones, put the skull of or departed in our lodge in a place of honor while the rest of our bones are ground up and used in various things. To the Apache, this power hold maicgal and powerful power.

All three of us walked over to the Hanging Tree Saloon, through the bat winged doors, over to a table in the cornor and ordered a roound of the finest whiskey I have ever tasted. If heaven tatses like this, I can not wait to go !

I rolled a smoke and passed my pouch and papers to Goose, who, also rolled a smoke.

"Thought baccer was scared to you're people, Hawk ?" Whiskey said, while pouring us another round.

"I am only half red, The other half is red. I'll give Mother Earth what is hers before bed.

Just then Joise came out and sat down on my lap and kissed me hard and deep. Goose made some kind of noise and Whiskey pulled her off of me and said, "You still work for me ! Do that on you're own time. " She said as she patted her hand, "Get another bottle from the back ,ok ?" Joise didn't say a word, just got up, whispered sometime un lady like into my ear and went bouncing off like a school girl. I just drew on my smoke and smiled. Tonight was going to be good !

The morning broke and I made my way downstairs, new bandage, clean clothing, bare chested and bare foot. "Coffee, Barkeep ." The coffee arrived, good and hot, and I sat at the same table we sat at last night. I went to the door of Whiskey's room, knocking and said, "Whiskey Darlin, You gonna sleep all day ? It's 5:30 and we are burning daylight !" I thought I heard the muttering of a male's voice and the back door of her room close quickly. I smiled at the thought of breaking up her romantic goings on !

As I started eatting my steak and eggs, Big Goose came in and then after a bit, Whiskey joined us too. As we ate, I lined out my plan for Maddog.

"Da plan is like dis, I will take Maddog to Santana. Of course, I'll make sure Maddog is unarmed, and loosely tied. Ifin' he comes unarmed, I'll give him a pepperbox to use fer self defence. We'll meet at da same place as yeserday, and ride toward Santan's lodge. He's very rich and made his money off dumb folks. I aint dumb, nor is Maddog. Once inside, I will turn Maddog loose and we'll both take out Santan and his men, or at least Santana. I'll show Maddog whar da cash is, and hightail it out of der ! Ifin' Maddog wants a gun fight,dat's up to him. Santana's men will not care who is who, de'll only care bout gittin' payed. And din you and Goose here will be safe."

There, the cat was out of the bag !

"Colonel, What the hell do you mean by the remark, Whiskey and I will be safe ? What are you doing,....SIR !" Big Goose stood up and loomed over the table, knife and folk in hand.

"Answer the man's question, Hawk ! What do you mean by that emark ?!" Whiskey said, her face getting red with anger by the minute.

"Guess I should have told y'all......But could not.........Santana said, he will kill you both ifin' I did not bring Maddog to him, alive. Now...Apache do not use da words "Freind" or "Love" to often. When it is used, they mean it and will lay down their lives for dem. Y'all are both !" I said, trying as best I could to explain my actions. And in doing so, I felt three of the Doc's sewing bust lose in my back.

"I WILL FIGHT MY OWN BATTLES, COLONEL HAWK.........SIR !" Big Goose yelled out and stormed out of the Hanging Tree Saloon. I din't know what to make to this. Then it hit me, I had just lost a brother and freind. And this hurt me to my core ! And it showed as Whiskey tounge was not so sharp.

"You should have told us, Hawk." Whiskey said, her hand on my back. "We would do anything for you and you should know that ! You should have told us !" and got up and walked toward her room, leaving me at the table alone. She then stopped and saw the blood on her hand, shook her head, and slowly closed the door. I felt as if I had betrayed them, but at least I was keeping them alive to hate me even longer.

I rode back to the camp and was going over the things the Halfbreed had said in my mind. Then it hit me, I knew his weakness. He did not care if he lived or died and only lived to fight. But he cared for his friends and felt it was his duty to protect them. All I had to do was kidnap some of them and fix it so if he killed me, and then his friends would die. I knew about Big Goose, and the woman Dolly, and I figured getting those two would do the trick. When I got back to camp, I sent three men to catch Goose and I went to get the woman myself. I sent another man after supplies and told him to get enough food and water for two people to survive for seven days. I dress back up as a mountain man and rode my mule to town and into snuck into the alley behind the Doc’s office. When I looked thru the window, I could see the doc checking Dolly and redoing her bandages. When he finished, he put her to bed and went out the front and across the street to get something to eat. I went in the back of the office and quietly entered the room that she was laying in. She rolled over and saw me and she started to scream. I grabbed a handful of bandages and stuffed them into her mouth. She tried to fight me but was so weak that all she could do is watch as I poured a bottle of ether on the bandages and she passed out. I pulled her out of the bed and made the bed up to look like she was sleeping in it and carried he out and threw her on my the back of my mule. I made sure nobody had seen me and headed back to my camp.

My men were watching the saloon and saw Big Goose come out and they could tell he was mad. He headed to the livery and my men were there waiting for him. After what Hawk had said, he figured a good ride would clear his mind. As he saddled his horse, one of them called out; “Ok Mister, don’t move, we have you surrounded.” Big Goose spun around to face the voice and drew his knife. Two of the men then hit him from behind and knocked him to the ground. Then all three proceed to beat him until they were certain the he was unconscious and would not wake up for a while. They tied him to his horse and brought him back to my camp.

When I got back to camp, my men had everything ready for me. I had them load the supplies on the mule and I told them to scatter and meet me in two weeks at the normal place. I told them if I did not show up, then I would most likely I would be dead. They asked me what I was going to do with the hostages and I told them they did not need to know. I then went up in to the mountains to an old mine I had found a couple years ago and it had big wood doors covering the entrance. I open the doors carried the supplies in and carried the woman in and laid her on the blankets I had brought and covered her up. It would not do me any good if the Halfbreed went along with my plans if he found his friends dead as I knew my plan would only work if I held up my end of the deal. When I went to get Big Goose, he was awake and trying get out of the leg and hand cuffs I had put on him. I pulled my Colt and forced him to walk into the mine and told him to sit down. He looked and me and said ”I don’t know what you are doing, but you will not get away with it.”

I looked at him ”You are wrong, and you had better hope that Halfbreed values your live as much as I think he does. You have seven days of supplies, maybe you can make them last a bit longer than that. If Hawk does as I tell him, we will be back to dig you out before you run out of supplies. If not, this will be your grave. Here are the keys to your cuffs, when you wake up again, you can uncuff yourself. ”

I then hit him over the head with my Colt and knocked him out. I went to the front of the mine and closed the doors. I took two sticks of dynamite and blew up the beams over the doors and the rocks buried the doors. I then headed back to town and was very careful to cover my trail so nobody but me could find the way back to the mine. I knew that both of them would not be missed until tomorrow and by then I would be back in town and confront Hawk and tell him my plans of how we were going to kill Santan.

"My word, Hawk !" Joise said when she saw my wound had opened again. Almost all the stitches and poped out and I was in pain. "I'll go fetch Doc !" she said.

"No ! Just bandage me up......I'll be fine. Sides, der aint much left der to sew to !" I told her, my hand grapping her arm. Joise just shook her head in disbeif and led me to her room. There she cleaned the blood off my back, and she gasped at how bad the wound looked. But she bandaged me up none the less.

I asked Joise to tell Whiskey when she came out of her room, I'm giving her my part of the Hanging Tree Saloon. And my mine, as I had no further use for it. I was going to hit the trail, for I had just lost all the white kin I have.

I thanked Joise for her caring for me, kissed her and started to walk out the door of her room to garb a shoot of whiskey, and then to go to Doc's office and check on Dolly. But before I could, she stopped me and , looking me in the eye said, "I've fallen in love with you Hawk ! I know you love a good fight, more than me......I know you like to be alone, sleep out under the stars, and hunting men for a few dollars. I know all of this. All I'm asking is for you to just keep my heart safe with you. You may have lost kin, but you gained a live long companion, if you want one."

I was befiddled. Never had some one beared their soul to me like this. Not Whiskey. Not Big Goose. Although I had figured them out, Joise just came out and said it.

I sighed heavyly, looking down at the wooden floor, then up to Joise, looking her in those green eyes, I said, "Joise Darlin', I aint gonna say I'll be home, here all da time. I like Saloons....and I like Mother Earth and Father Sky. I am a United States Marshal, and I am a Confedarate Officer."

"Confederate Officer ? But he war is over and all the Reba surrendered. Or at least I thought." Joise said, confuesed.

"All be me. I never did surrendred. Did not beat my sword into plow shares, neither. Nope, I still got my saber, Joise. I did not ask to pladge to da United States, nor sign anythin'. Just made my mark. So, der ya have it. I may or may not be da marryin' kind. Just do not know yet. But I do know I have feelins' fer ya, no denyin' dat !" I said to her. "How do dat suit ya ?" I asked her.

Smilming boardly, she replyed, "right down to the ground !" and kissed this Half Breed so well , my toes cruled up in my boots !

We went back into the Saloon, hand in hand, when Doc came running in.

"Hawk....Marshal...Someone stole Dolly !" he said.

"You shore ? She did not just leave on her on ?" I asked.

The Sawbones said, "No. She wasn't strong enough to get out of bed, much less walk across the street. And someone went to alot of trouble to make the bed to look like she was still sleeping in it. She's been stolen and that's all there is to it !"

I looked at Joise and said to her,"Stay here. Git Whiskey and see ifin' she'll ride wif me once more. I could shore use all da help I could git. Do not know whar Goose stomped of to !" I said to her. "ifin' she willin, met me at livery !"

I walked brisky to livery to saddle my horse, and thinking, "Who could have stole Dolly and why ?" I checked my weapons, all where loaded and then as I swung into my saddle I realized I had a meeting with Maddog.

"Damnation !" I said outloud. Joise meet me outside the stable and she to me, "Hawk...She will not answer now. I'm sorry." and stuffed something in my saddlebag.

I knew I would never see my kin again, but I was not ready to gave up. "Joise...Tell her Dolly has been stole. Ifin' she has a change of heart, met me at the old camp near Santana's place. Come well heeled ! Got it ?"

"Got it Hawk. I'll tell Whiskey right now. And Hawk...." Joise said, putting her hand on my boot, "Please by careful. Watch you're back, Darlin !" Looking down into those green eyes, I smiled saying, "Do not worry !" and as I was about to ride out the Doc came up to me.

Looking worryed he said, "Marshal...Dolly can't fend for herself at the moument. Get her back here as quickly as you can." Looking out into the vast land ahead of me I answered him by saying, "I will !"

I knew where the old camp was, but I didn't go there right away. I figured Whiskey would not be there, so in that case I was going to need all the help I could get. So I rode hell bent for leather due west to where the Apache tribe where making camp. I rode to a raise in the land where a brave acting as a look out, stopped me. I stopped and got off my horse, and made the sign for help. He came riding over to me.

I said to him in Apache, "Brother, please take me to yur family !" He was shocked to here me speaking so clearly, he knew I had to be raised by the Apache. But to make sure he didn't fear me, I took off my gun belt and handed it to him. Then we rode into the camp, me in the lead.

We rode in and there was much chatter amogst the tribe. So much so, the Holy Man came out to see what the matter was. He came out, looking me up and down, spoke to me in his laganuge. "Why do you come here Breed ?"

I walked up to him, took his hand and placed it to my forehead, as a sign of respect. "HolyOne, I have a great need. I have two evils I have tracked to this land. I wish to rid one of des evils wif yur help. Dis dawg I wish to remove is known as Santana. I know he has killed many of our warriors in the past. And he will kill more, ifin' he is not stopped. But I can not do this wif out yur help."

About this time the Chief came out to see for himself what all the excitment was all about. I told him the same as I had said to the Holy One, but he was not convenced.

"Why should I send my wariors into battle, allowing more to die, just to serve a half breed ? Tell me wht I should do this thing you ask !" he said very calmly. I could tell his words carried much weight and if he so go with me, his braves would fight to the last man.

"I plan on riddin' dis land of two evils. But I can not do dis alone. I ask fer you to send yur warriors wif me to help me kill Santana and Maddog."

The Cheif spoke, looking at Mother Earth. He bent down, picked up a handful of Mother Earth, letting it flow between his two hands. He then took some of it and tossed it in the air, watching it blow toward the east. Toward the raising sun would be come next morning. The Holy Man came over and they whispered something together and grunted some to.

The Holy Man asked me my name. "Sliver Hawk.....Son of Yeller Horse." I said.

"The same Silver Hawk that hunts white men ?" the Cheif asked. I nodded yes.

He walked up to me and I took his hand and again, placed it to my forehead as a sign of respect. "We will rode with you Silver Hawk...Son of Yeller Horse. To kill Santana and Maddog we will ride."

"Tell yur warriors to meet me at my old camp site. Ya know whar it is. I've seen yur braves watchin' me der." I said.

As I septed up into the saddle, the Holy Man handed me back my dragoons saying, "At daylight we ride to kill this evil that has turned this brown land red with our blood !"

I nodded and say, "Dis we will do !" and troted toward my camp.

As I neared my camp site, I smelled smoke. "A Apache wood not built such a fire.....White man............Maybe Moddog !" I pulled my Henry rifle out, just in case.

I rode in to town and right up to the jail. The roof was gone and the door had been busted down and the inside was a mess. I looked around and most of the things I kept hid there were still in place. I walked over to when some men were rebuilding a building and they stopped working and just stared at me as they could not believe I was back in town. One of them started for his rifle and I drew and shot the rifle making it useless.

“Friend, I could have just shot you but I didn’t. I am not looking for a fight.”

“What do you want? We figured you would never come back here!”

“I have unfinished business here. I want you men to go over and clean up the jail and put a roof on it before night fall. Here is a $100 dollars, just get it done by this evening, you have about 5 or 6 hours of daylight left and I want it done.”

They looked at me and then each other and one of them spoke up.” Yes, sir, it will be done.”

“Make sure you do it right so nobody can break out and it does not leak. Now get busy.”

The men picked up their tools and walked over to the jail and I could see them getting started. I had tied my horse, Goose’s horse and the mule in front of the jail so they could be seen. I figured that somebody would be running down to the saloon to tell them, but they had been the ones to make peace for now and would not come down to bother me right away. I walked down to the Chinaman’s laundry and bath house and walked in and rang the bell. The Chinaman came out and almost dropped the laundry he was carrying.

“Chinaman, do you still have a set of my clothes pressed and ready for me?”

“Yes, sir, Yes sir, I can have a set of your clothes pressed and ready for you right away.”

“Good. I want a bath and a shave too. Have a couple of your women get it ready for me right now. Also, Go get me a new white hat, and clean the gun belt in my saddle bags and make sure it comes out nice and white. I want this done by the time I am done with my bath.”

“Yes sir, yes sir, Please wait here for a few minutes. It be ready for you right away.”

I leaned on the counter and then decided I should check my guns. I figure I did not want to die taking a bath. I have my shotgun and it was in good order and I loaded another round in my Colt I had shot to get the worker attention earlier. I was checking my othe colt when I head the China yelling and a girl scream. I walked thru to the door and there was girl in the corner and the Chinaman had a stich raised over his head to hit her. I grabbed the Chinaman’s arm and yanked him around to face me.

“What the Hell are you doing?”

“This girl not good, she lazy. I beat her to make her work harder. She Japanese, not good like Chinese woman.”

Now normally, I could care less. I looked her and she was different that the other women I have see anywhere. She was young, tall and thin with long dark hair, a well developed body and a pretty face. Her green eyes showed the fear of the Chinaman in them and I could not stop looking in them. I had not had a woman make me take notice of her in a long time and I could not stop looking at her.

“Chinaman, you hit her again and I will kill you.”

I reached over and helped her up off the ground. The rags she was wearing barely covered her.

“Do you understand English? If you do, get my bath ready.” She smiled and nodded her head.

I looked at the Chinaman and he smiled.

”Everything good, no problem here. I fix everything for you”

When it was ready, the girl gave me a bath, cut my hair and shaved me and then gave me the best massage I have ever gotten. I did not know where she had come from, but it was apparent that she had been taught to please a man. When she offered herself to me for stopping the beating, I told her no. She then asked me to take her with me. I told her I would come back for her if all went well in the next week or so.

I got dressed and went out to pay the Chinaman. I could not remember the last time I had felt clean and relaxed and I was in a good mood. The Chinaman was waiting at the counter.

“How much for everything?”

“$25 dollar, is it all good for you?”

“Ok, what are you going to do with the girl?”

“She no good, I beat her and if she no work, I sell her. I pay $50 dollars for her and she not make me any money. She bad for business”

The next thing I heard must have been somebody else. I could care less about anybody and had not cared about anything for a long time. There was a reason, but only I knew it. I took care of me and I did not care what I had to do to get it done. Kill, cheat, blackmail, whatever it took, I had done it. I had sold women across the border, I had beat up and killed whores that did not do as I told them, and I had burned families out of their homes and watched them die and did not even shoot them to end their pain. I had rode down squaws and their children and trampled them with my horse and never gave another thought. I really would like to know who this guy is defending this woman as it could not be me. There is not any profit or benefit in this, so why would I even care?

“You touch her again Chinaman, I will kill you. You get her clean up, dress her right and make sure you feed her. Here is the money for bath and $100 dollars for her. I will be back for her in a couple of weeks and if I find one mark on her or she has not been cared for, I will beat you to death.”

“Yes sir, yes sir. I do just what you say. No worry, I take good care of her.”

I walked over to the boarding house and everybody gasped and stared as I walked down the street. I saw two men walking over to their horses and reach for their rifles. I stopped and pointed my shotgun at them.

“You touch those rifles and you will be dead before you can clear leather. Just go about your business and you will live another day. I am not looking to kill anybody today and I don’t think you really want to die today.”

The men mounted up and rode off down the street and did not even look back. I walked in to the boarding house and signed the ledger.

Maddog McCoy.

The clerk looked at me and said:

”I don’t have any rooms”

“You have a room for me. It is a private room over looking the street at the top of the stairs. You should check again.” I folded my arms across my chest with my shotgun cradled in them.

The clerk got a scared look on his face.

“Uh, I sorry, I made a mistake, here your key, the room is 10 dollars .”

I paid the man and went up and checked room out. Just what I had wanted.I went back to the jail and the men were doing a good job fixing it up and it looked like they would be done before dark and it would be all cleaned up.

I mounted up and rode down to the Hanging Tree Saloon. I dismounted and checked my shotgun.

I walked up the saloon and kicked the batwings open and stepped inside.

The entire saloon looked at me coming thru the door and went dead quiet. A cowboy at the bar started to reach for his gun. The barkeeper went to the other end of the bar.

“Friend, you touch that gun and you will be dead. Barkeep, stay away from that shotgun. Did that Indian and the owner tell you all we have an agreement not to fight anymore?”

Everybody just looked at each other and nobody said a word. I walked over to a table in the corner where the wall had been patched and the two men jumped up and ran out of the saloon. I sat down and put my shotgun on the table. I saw somebody come out of the back and look around to see it had gotten so quiet. It was Whiskey Business. She saw me sitting in the corner and turn bright red.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY SALOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“I heard you serve a good meal here. I came for a drink and supper.”

"GET OUT BEFORE I KILL YOU”

“I don’t think so. I know you were there when Hawk and I made an agreement and I know you will have to honor it. I need to talk to him anyway, our business has changed. Maybe you should have him come out and talk to me.”

“He is not here and I don’t know or care where he is. Now get out.”

“Well, I know he will want to know what I have to say. Besides, I brought him a present”

I pulled Dolly’s shirt out and put it on the table and stuck Big Goose’s knife in it. Whiskey was still mad but she recognized the items on the table. She walked over to the bar, picked up a bottle with a glass. She looked around.

“Everybody go back to what you were doing.” She walked over and sat down.

“I will listen to you but I will never drink with you.”

“How about my supper? I figure 10 dollars should cover it.”

“I will feed you, but I will not take any of your blood money. Joise, bring a plate of beans over here.”

“You can do better than that. Bring me a steak and everything that goes with it.”

Whiskey looked at Joise and nodded. It was a good thing I had their friends since she looked like she would have killed me with her bare hands.

“I had the jail rebuilt today. Tell him to meet me there tomorrow around 10am. We have seven days to conclude our business or his friends will die. Only I can stop it from happening and nobody else knows where to find them. He is good, but he will never find them in time. Can you tell him that?”

“We will find your men and stop you.“

“You don’t understand. After seven days, they will be out of supplies and will die a slow death. They may last ten days, but they cannot get any more supplies when they are and nobody can find them in time. Tell him to meet me at the jail at 10 am tomorrow and we will conduct our business there. I had it rebuild today so I will be there waiting for him.”

Whiskey stood up, took the knife and the shirt, and walked out without saying a word. Joise brought me my food and I ate and left. When I went to the jail and checked everything and all was back the way I use to have it. I then went to the boarding house and went to bed.

I eased up on the camp to see a long haired figure setting by the fire, warning it's hands. But those hands where not that of a man, but of a women. Then I noticed those Peace Makers. That was Whiskey !

"Hello,...dat fire. Do not shoot....I am comin' in ! " I said. I saw Whiskey jump to her feet, and almost jerk her Peace Maker clear. I had my hands raised at elbows length and still wearing my dragoons. If Whiskey had cleared leather and fired, I woulsd have taken the bullet and went home to the Acenit Ones. I could have easyly beaten her to the draw, but I just could not bring myself to draw on kin.

"Why are you here Whiskey ?" I asked.

"Maddog paided me a visit in our Saloon last night. He's got Big Goose and Dolly some where. Said they are going to die in seven to ten days unless you met up with him at his restored jail !" Whiskey told me. I can still hear her last words to me as they burned a hole into my spirit.

I got very angery and said, "Dat someabitch done gone and double crossed me ! I let my gaurd down and he double crosed me ! Let, itr will not happen again. He must have jumped Big Goose or used Dolly to get him, cuz he's a big feller. Seven to ten days uh ?" I started to walk around the old camp, my mind was racing ,......thinking of what I had seen before. What would I do, if I was Maddog.

I got some oats for my horses and made my bedroll and layed down. Whiskey didn't say a word cause she knew what we would do came daybreak.

At day break, I told Whiskey, " Go back to the Saloon and want for Maddog. Tell him you could not find me. " and act like you do not care. I will track some, as I think I know some whars Maddog would have put'em. Arm yurself and Joise and wait till you see me talkin' to Maddog." and I spured my horse forward.

It was easy to track him and Goose's horse, as Goose's horse makes a certain kind of track, when his riding it. This I found. I was on the right trail. The trail would got cold as buffalo would cross the trail for miles and then, it would become hot as if Goose wasjust up ahead. The track was still carrying him but then it was not as the track changed just a bit. I pressed on, looking for the place where the track started, but the trail went cold again and stayed that way.

I milled around the area some what as it was mountainous area. Many caves and many played out mines. Then I found four hoof prints with a rider, and then four hoofs prints without a rider. "They here in one of des caves !" I said to myself. It would take more than ten days to dig and search them all, so I thought a good bluff may work. I was all in now as I rode hard toward town. I would come face to face with Maddog at last come morning, and with my rath as high as it is, may God have mercy on his soul. Naw.....he don't desevre it !

I hit town just after mid night. As I tied my horse up, I looked down the street, toward the jail where I spyed Big Goose's horse, the evry horse that made that special print. I felted the Tejanos.........Los Diablos Tejanos raising fast within me. I was about to go postal ! I walked into the Hanging Tree Saloon, the every one I used to own part of, and went right over to Billy Wild Horse.I put ten dollars in his hand. Then I took it away. "Take this word to yur Father, the Holy Man, ....I think I found the cave whar my kin are. Have yur wimmin git to work, digin'. Have yur warriors surround dis town. Ifin Maddog goes fer his weapons, shoot him. Rifle, pistol, arrow or spear...it do not matter. I want him to learn, he can not touch my kin ! Now git !"

Whiskey came over to the table I was sitting at as it was not our usal table. She came over and poured me a glass, three figures worth of her homemade whiskey. I pushed it away and said, "Not now Whiskey, .....Need my wits about me. Go outside and fetch my eight gauage from my pack hoss. Bring a box of shells next to it." Whiskey did not move. "Do not make me tell ya agin, Darlin.....I'm mad as hell rat now, and ya will not like me much when I am mad !" I could see fear in here brown eyes for the first time I have known her.

I sat there for hours waiting, my eyes closed. Then I moved. I took my eight gauge, loading both barrels with 00 buckshot. Pulled out my La Matt pistol, loaded the nine rounds and a 20 gauge with 00 Buckshot. I pulled out a stone and begain to sharpen my fighting knifes, and then my scalping knife in a sheath on my wide belt. I then loaded up my Henry Military model and my 66. I then loaded my 45-70 lever action. Under the cover of late night darkness, I placed then in certain places. The as the sun rose, just turning the sky from black to dark puprle. It was the dawn of day three.

I ordered a breakfast of fryed bread and jerked buffalo, and washed it all down with some coffee. I still felt Los Diablos Tejanos raging in my veins as I steppe out on the board walk, sprinkled tobacco to Mother Earth, and then lite a ceegar, looking toward the jail. I was going to capture Maddog or I was going to die trying. Maddog stepped out of the jail and was surpised to see me there on the board waiting for him. My U.S. Marshal badge shineing brihtly in the morning light. Maddog serpused looked turn to the look of a mad dog.

"I see you got my word, Hawk. Look here," Maddog yelled as he walked around Goose's horse. "I know where they are, you don't. Now, we are going to ride to Santana's house, kill him, putting the blame on you, and steal his money. Ad if you don't do the things I'm telling you to do, you're freinds will die !"

I laughed out loud. "Freinds ya say. Whiskey, am I yur ferind ?" I shouted. Across the street, Whiskey shouted, "No....Not at all !"

Maddog looked dismayed for a mitue or two. "Then Big Goose and Dolly will die !"

I smiled the most evil smile a person has ever seen. "Whiskey, you have him covered ?" I shouted.

"Yup, his white shirt and white hat would look good with a little spot of red on it !" Whiskey said. Then Joise remarked , "If she misses, I won't !" she yelled across the street from the bank.

"Look around Maddog.....I shouted, pointing to the figures lining the horizen. "Der Apache .....Der mothers, brother and sisters where the one you trampled under the hoofs of yur hosses. Dey have never forgot and they swore blood revenge agin ya. You ride out dis town, ya die. Ya stay here, ya may die.....least we can work out a deal..........You game ?" I said.

I spose it's hard for a man to splain why he'd let his lover be kindnapped into the hands of a Mad dog, but when that man approached me with a plate full of steaming hot gooey chocolately chip fresh baked cookies from Chocolate Chip Rich's Bakery ain't no sane man on God's green earth say no to that!

And I asked him how much for the cookies and he pointed at Dolly and said, 'She's the price,' and well off Dolly went! Course she was real mad at me for that one but once Mad dog himself gave her a cookie she was as pleased as pie to go off into his clutches!

Before lockin her away into the cell I said, 'Dolly when you get free or dead we'll have ourselves some great adventures!' and she nodded and said, 'I love you Cactus Jake, I don't even mind if you keep on sleepin with dat other girl Josie! Cept don't tell Hawk bout dis.'

I laughed a laugh and nodded and winked and said, 'No problem girly, you's mine through and through!'

End I walked waaw eating the chocolate chip cookies and then I decided to get a meal. So I took out my peacemakers and shot them itno the sky and the good gods made it rain with bald eagles! I roasted em up and had em with a side of sweet taters and chocolate chip cookies and washed it all down with three cups of coffee! After dat I took a nap for a while.

When I woke up I heard a lot of shootin and yelling and women screamin and sounded like someone was dying and there was a lot of hollerin and I smelled blood on the air nearby but dat's what my house always sounded like growin up so I got onto my pony and moved on.

I was travelin for a bit when my pony's leg got caught in a hole in the ground and I lookeed into the tunnel there and it wa full of gold! Chunks of rock littered the floor of the mine and I ducked low in there and loaded up gold int my packs and ten went ot the general store and said, 'Get me ten pounds of bear jerky and ten pounds of coffee and a new rifle and a bath and a massage!' and the clerk looked real confused bout this but he palced up my things and then I caught him trying to sneak away wif da gold without giving me my full order!

So I cocoked my gun and shot a few rounds into the oil painting portrait of his grandpappy he kept bove the register and I said, 'Now's look here we don't do dirty business where I come from, either it'd sa whole order or nothin!' SO that boy got down and gave me the best bath and msaage I done ever had in my entire life! adn afterwards He was so scared he offered himself to me and I said, 'You's a woman? Damn girl you gots some rough features!' and the shop boy lady ot real embarrassed and upset and I left because her advances was starin to make me uncomfortable.

When I came out of there feeling like a new man der was still more yelling so I went out der and saw Hawk and Maddog ready to shoot each other full of holes!

Folks, I aint gonna post a installment tonight.

Just to pooped to pop and got a lot on da old noddin.

Just gonna pour me some Bulliet and kick back fer a spell.

Thanks fer followin' and stay tuned ! ;)

I looked at Hawk, and then I looked all around. I could see the Indians, Whiskey trying to stay out of sight from me and hold a bead on me and Joise was in plain sight but I could see her rifle shaking as she must have been scared to dead.

I laughed and shook my head, and then I looked at Hawk.

“Well, Hawk, you are putting on a pretty good bluff, but the fact is you need me to get to Santana and if I don’t help you, he will wipe all of you out. If you tell them to shoot me, I will have two rounds in you and one in the woman by the bank before the other one can fire her rifle. Do you really think this is the first time somebody has tried this on me. You are so mad that you are not thinking straight and you are letting it get the best of you. I should know, why do think they call me Maddog? I have several things on my side, starting with time and yours is running out. As far as the Indians go, if they attack this town, the army will show up and wipe them out and I can hole up in my jail for as long as it will take the army to get here. If I decide to leave, I will get past them; I have done it before and can do it again. If I did not have a plan to make this work, I would have never came back here. I know your weakness and I have you just where I want you. If you kill me, you lose. If you don’t follow my plan, you lose and everything you have been fighting for since you met me will be destroyed. There is more going on here that you know about, and this is the first time Santana has had a lead on finding me and he wants me bad but he did not tell you the truth in why he wants me. I want him dead more that I want you dead, so I will work out a deal between us. You knew I rode with him and left me to die, but I was trying to get close enough to kill him then and when I got better, I knew how to hurt him and I hurt him so bad that he want to kill me slow and want me alive. So what is it going to be Hawk? My way or are you going to take your chances here and now that you might be able to kill me and defeat Santana? If you do as I say, everybody wins, otherwise , well who knows, but you will lose in the end when Santana attacks you. Make your play now, but don’t take all day thinking about it.”

Hawk was still staring at me and you could see the anger in his eyes and him struggling to control. I had got him to think about this, so I knew he was going to either draw or stand down.

Whiskey was done waiting. She called out:

“GO TO HELL, MADDOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Whiskey fired her rifle hitting me in the center of my chest and knocking me back into the wall of the jail by the door. I drew and fired a round in her direction and threw myself at the door and landed in the jail and kicked the door shut with my foot.

When Whiskey fired, Hawk realized that he needed Maddog or the fighting may never end.

“Stop shooting, we need him alive!!!!”

“I want him dead, I going to kill him now and don’t care what happens next. He has to pay!!!!”

Whiskey fired another round at the Jail door and Hawk ran over to her.

“Just stop, you may have killed him already. We have to work with him. He is right; I cannot stand the thought of my friends dying because of me. If he is not dead, we will have to work something out.”

Whiskey lowered her rifle.

“Ok, let's find out if he is dead. If he is not dead, I will let you talk to him and I will listen to his plan."

"If I don’t like it, I will shoot him again.”

Hawk called out:

“No more shooting, everybody lower your weapons. Maddog, can you hear us, no more shooting, we will listen to your plan”

Hawk walked over to the jail door and pushed on it. The door was bolted and it was all quiet.

“Joise, go get the Doc. Don’t tell him why I want him, just get him to come now.”

Hawk pounded on the door with his fist.

“Maddog, open the door. We sent for the doc, let us in and we can help you.”

“MADDOG, CAN YOU HEAR ME?”

Hawk put his ear to the door. All that was coming from the jail was silence…………………….

I looked around. I could see myself lying on the jail floor. I was sitting in the rafters looking down. I heard a voice next to me.

“Well, you did it again. Are you ever going to learn?”

I looked next to me. Jimmy was sitting their shaking his head.

“Jimmy, you are dead. I buried you a while back. Are you telling me I finally got myself killed?”

“No, not this time. But if you keep this up, you may not be so lucky next time. At least you learned to use that trick I taught you to stay alive. Maybe you will be to keep from getting killed a little longer.”

“Thanks Jimmie. What do you suggest I do now?”

Jimmy smiled “Well, you could get up off the floor, you are getting your white outfit dirty……”

I opened my eyes. I was laying on the floor. I could not get my breath and my chest hurt like hell. I rolled over and could just reach my shotgun. There was yelling outside.

“Open the door Maddog, we have the Doc here, we can help you”

I reached over and using the barrels of my shotgun I was able to slide the bolt open.

“Open the door slowly and come in, if you try anything or I see any guns, I will give you both barrels of my shotgun”

Hawk opened the door and saw me with my shotgun pointed at him.

“We can help you Maddog, put the shotgun down, I will have the doc fix you up and I want to hear your plan.”

“Put all the guns on my desk and we can talk.”

Hawk unbuckled his gun belt and put it on the desk, then took the rifles from the women and put on the desk. He looked at Whiskey:

“Whiskey, give me your gun belt.”

“NO!”

Hawk looked at me, and I nodded my head. I broke open my shotgun and the shells fell out and then Hawk put it on the desk. The doc and Hawk helped me stand up and I unbuckled my gun belt and he put it on the desk. The doc helped me to my chair and started to examine me.

Whiskey looked at me.

“I know I did not miss, why is he not covered in blood?”

“You did not miss me. Damn you woman, my chest hurts like Hell. See the hole in my shirt, you just ruined one of my better shirts”

I stuck my fingers in my shirt and dug around for a minute, then pulled the bullet out and threw it at Whiskey.

“Here you are, you can have your bullet back.”

The Doc looked at Hawk. “Help me stand him up” They stood me up and the doc took my shirt off. Under it was an iron plate with a thick layer of cotton on both sides. The Doc pushed it over my head and fell to the floor with a loud clang. Hawk looked at me.

“Where did you learn that trick?”

“Learned it from an old man. I have been wearing that all thru the war and any time I thought I would end up in a fight. It saved my life more times than I can count. That is why I have been shot and left for dead and came back to get revenge on so many of my enemies. I need an hour to recover from getting shot, so help me in my chair, and come back in an hour. Bring some food and a bottle as we have a lot to discuss. We will ride at first light and we have a lot to do and not much time if you want to save your friends.”

Hawk looked at me. “Ok, we will be back in an hour. Be warned, any more surprises and that metal plate will not save you.”

I smiled; “Don’t worry Hawk, You can trust me. By the way, bring me my belly gun back. That is the first part of my payment for helping you. See you in an hour.”

Hawk looked at me for a second, and then turned on his heel and walked out with everybody in tow. After they shut the door, I smiled and took a deep that lit my chest up like fire and I winched from the pain. Oh well, I will be better later and things may work yet. I guess I was lucky, at least I am not dead.

After about 15 minutes, I could breathe without too much pain and I put on my torn shirt and walked down the Chinaman’s place.

I walked in and nobody was in sight.

“Chinaman, get out here. I got some work for you”

The Chinaman came running out from the back “yes sir, you tell me what you need, I fix for you”

“Do you have any more of my shirts ready, I need two of them and this one fixed.”

“I have two shirts ready, this one no fix, torn too bad, me have two more tomorrow”

I put the metal plates on the counter. I had brought both sets that I had made up a long time ago.

“I want you to add more padding to the both of these. Add the padding to both sides of the metal. When can you be done with them?”

“I have much work, maybe 2 or three days”

“You until supper time to have them ready, no excuses”

“I need to clean up, have your girl get me some hot water and a towel.”

“You want bath, I have girl take good care of you.”

“No, just get me what I asked for.”

“Ok, go in back, be ready very quick for you”

I went in the back on the girl had everything ready for me and she took her time taking care of me. I looked her over and asked if he was treating better and she smiled while nodding her head.

I walked back to the jail and started cleaning my guns and getting my gear ready. After a little while, there was a knock on the door.

“It’s open come on in.”

Hawk, Whiskey and Joise walked in to the jail. Joise was carrying a basket and Whiskey had her hands on her guns. It was obvious the she just wanted to shoot me but she did not say anything. Hawk sat down in front of me and the ladies sat down on each side of him. Hawk tossed me my belly gun.

“I am going to make this real simple. You are going to pay me $20,000 dollars to help you kill Santana, we will burn his town down and take anything of value. You will get the Indians to quit hunting me and you will tell everybody that I got killed in the fight. I get to ride off and you will never tell anybody I survived. If we ever run across each other again, we will deal with it if it happens and we agree not to shoot each other on sight. That is what I want to make this happen. You will get your friends back as if I told you where they were right now, you could never dig them out in time. But there is another way to get them out, and I will show you how after we kill Santana.”

Hawk started to talk but Whiskey cut him off.

“20,000 dollars!!!!!!, Are you crazy, I will never pay you a dime. Hawk, I going to shoot him now!!!”

Hawk spoke up, “Not yet Whiskey, you are not to shoot him unless we cannot come to an agreement. Santana might have $10,000 or so, but I don’t know. All I would give you is what we find there.”

“That’s not good enough. If you guarantee me $10,000 and pay me before we leave, you can have you 10,000 back and we will split any more that we find. I will take 60% and you can have 40% of the split. I figure that would make me even for what I have spent fight you and will make up for what Whiskey should have paid me for protection in the first place.”

“Paid you for protection? Never!!! I should have shot you when you demanded it when I opened the saloon the first time.”

“Whiskey, all of this is your fault anyhow. Any good business person would have paid me and we would have both made a lot of money. You could have done anything you wanted there and I would have backed you up for anything that happened in your saloon and you would have never had to worry about who you shot or cheated, as I would have buried them or ran them out of town for you.”

Hawk knew he was going to have to make a decision soon or Whiskey was going to start shooting.

Maddog spoke up, “Two more things, I am not going in there unarmed and you will not tie me up. I will wear these handcuffs, they are special, they release when you hit them against each other. So what is it going to be Hawk? Are you going to follow my demands or does everybody die today?”

"Maddog, walk wif me, Doc , ya come along as wittness." I said. Maddog stopped just for a few minutes and I replyed, "Ain't ya curious as to what I may have to say ?" I could see what Maddog was thinking, he was looking out for me to jump him along with Doc's help. "And Maddog, leave dat shotgun on da desk."

"Whiskey stay here ! Yur too much a hot head rat now ! " I said pointing a firm fingure at her. "Stay put rat here !" I knew she would do it if some one was frim with her.

We walked along a dusty dirt strett, Doc on tow. And we stopped in front of the funeral parlor, and I said, "Maddog, I do not think I will accept yur terms. I got some of my own." I said, lighting a ceegar. Suddenly three arrows struck the dirt in front of Maddog at his feet. "And I do not think I can git to Big Goose as he is rat behind ya now. Out of respect fer me, he will not jump on ya and rip ya apart....just yet." as the door to the funeral parlor opened.

"Kinda iornic aint it,... him walkin' out a funeral parlor. And the Apache women have Dolly tendin' to her. Now, I do not think the $10,000 dollars is gonna work out. I admire yur sand, Maddog.......I turly do. We could have used more just like ya at Bull Run. Dat sand I'm talkin' bout.....We go ridin' in to Santana's compound, trick hand irons and all......we kill Santana, but it aint gonna be easy. He'll expect somethin'. When we finish killin' him, you git his money, how ever much der is." I could see Maddog getting madder and madder !

"Santana told me somethin' bout ya Maddog. Somethin' ya would want to know. He told me, dat he did not give a damn ifin' ya was alive or dead. Ifin' yur was dead, bring back da body and he would give me $8,000 fer yur hide. Now, I could have dim warriors yonder, strike ya down rat here and now, but I do not want dat. Here's what I what is, I'll give ya da $10,000 dollars in cold hard Yankee cash ! I will ask my friends yonder to stop chasing ya and I will swear dat ya got kilt in da fight wif Santana ifn' ya swear, in blood, to not harm dis town amd not to harm Whiskey nor her bussiness. I am a sworn Marshal, but der is a time when ya have to bend da law a bit and dis is one of dem times. It's a win , win, Maddog ! "

"Ifin' ya kill me, yur dead. Ifin ya kill Goose der behind ya, yur dead. Ifin' ya kill Doc, yur dead. Ifin ya kill Whiskey, though I doubt ya could, ya dead. Ifin ya like my ideaer, ya live, ya git paid, ya ride off to make a new life somers else and dem Apache will not give chase. Now, it's yur play, Maddog. Do not take to long to decide as dem Apache can not hold der arrows much longer."

Maddog was making up his mind, as he would get everything he was after, expect killing Big Goose, killing me and taking Dolly for him self.

"Ok, I sweeten da pot fer ya. Ya fancy dat chinsese girl at dat launder place.......ya can have her to boot." I said pointing to her, standing in the alley, tears was on her face. "Yur call Maddog." I said and lend up agasint a porch post.

HMMMM, do I trust him or not. Maybe I should just start shooting. Find out what happens in the next epiosode of LONE RIDER.

Note: Had to go out of town for work. Should post some time late today (Sunday).

Maddog McCoy

I walked over the girl in the alley. She was shaking with fear and I saw that scared look on her face again. I put my arm around her she looked at me.

“Don’t worry, I will take care of you”

She smiled at me and I walked back over by Hawk with her.

“Ok, Hawk, we have a deal. One more thing, I bought her from the Chinaman and this woman is mine. Until this is all over, Whiskey is to take care of her. She is to give her a room and she can help around the saloon. She is not to say anything bad about me to her or tell her anything about my past. She is to make sure nobody touches her. If that happens, there will be hell to pay. I have an idea of how to kill Santana, but I want to hear your ideas first. So let’s seal this deal and make our plans to get this done”

I pulled out my knife and cut the palm of my hand. Then I held out my hand to Hawk and waited.

Looking Maddog in his eye, I pulled my fighting knife out and without flinching, drew it slowly across my plam. I grabed holed of Maddog's hand, pulling him close and whispering in his ear, "Dis do not make us blood brothers. Ask Grizz what it takes to become injun. We'll work together to kill Santana, after dat, ifin' I see yur smelly hide agi', I'll kill ya on da spot."

I pulled away, wraping my hand in a clean bandge, looking at Maddog and said, "You walk in to Santana's home. I have already scouted it out, so I'll then slip in one of the tree back ways. After killin' a gaurd or two, you keep Santana's attention, I'll slip up behind him....grabbin' him from behind, puttin' my fingers in his eyes...plam coverin' his nose and mouth.....chuckin' his knee and pushin' him down face first. While Santana's fallin', I will stab my fightin' knife deep into his brain from just under the right ear. I will screable my knife around a bit and jerk it out clean. Santana will not know what hit him....he will not made a sound and he will not bleed, till he hits dat floor dead."

Seeing that I had caught Maddog compeletly off gaurd with my ruthlessness, I said, "Din I will cause noise and git dem gaurds to follow me and you can git Santana's money and gold. Da combo is 1 to da right, 3 to da left and 9 to da right. I know, I opened dat safe before and he aint chanced da combo. Deal ?"

I looked at Maddog and said, "What do you think, Maddog ? "

He was wrapping his hand up in a clean white bandage and he said, "I'll need some time to think on it ."

I stepped forward and said, "No think to think. Whiskey will keep the girl busy and will not allow her to be touched. Answer now, Maddog. We ride for Santana's ranch now ! What will it be ?" I said to him as I swung onto my bareback Appy.

"All right, it's a deal, damn you ! " said Maddog after he swung up into his saddle. He was a little bewildered because some one could be as inshane as he is. It seemed impossible, but here it was, big as all life........he and the "Breed" working together.

We rode hard till sunset and then we walked our horses to the slight knoll near Santana's ranch house. I soucted around a bit and when I returnd to where I had left Maddog I said, "I counted five to seven men outside dat we gotta git passed. One in each of dat towers in front near da gate, One in da back coverin' da back door. Looks like two to tree men inside on da courtyard, just shootin' dat breeze. I'll take out dat back man covewrin' da back way in. You and yur men act as a distraction, draw der fire untill I can git inside. You follow me and git Santana's attention once inside. He'll be surpised you showed up without me cuz I was to kill ya and bring back yur body or bring ya in wearin' leg irons."

"What makes you think I'm going to go in and face down Santana with you still live ? ! " Maddog whispered. "I don't like this plan .....not one little bit ! "

"Well, we here now, .... dis is da plan, and By God, yur stuck wif it ! " I said, in a angery whisper. "Yu'll be facin' Santana, ... so, ifin' I fail to kill'em, I draw his attention so ya can kill'em." I turned from Maddog, looking at his men. "Start yur attack. Make damn shore dat ya do not git hit. Yu'll be on yur own now. Ifin' dis plan works, we'll meet back here. Good luck ! Now...move out !"

I waited till I heard the gun fire start and then started to go inside. I took out the gaurd in the back tower by cutting his throat. He grabbed his throat with both hands, blood shooting oout each time his heart would beat. Life was flowing out of him and he fanilly grasped no more. I pushed his bidy aside and climbed back down and worked my way across the courtyard. Maddog's men where doing their job as they had drewn the attention of the men there, but one had slipped out, going for renforcments, as Santana had planed.

I could hear bullets hitting the wood and mud bricks as I worked my way up the backway, then I heard Maddog confronting Santana eairler than planned ! "Damn !" I thougth as I quickened my pace.

"I see that Marshal didn't kill you, Maddog ! And you come in here, bold as brass too ! I admire that in a man." Santana said, moving to pour himself a drink from his small bar.

Clearing leather, Maddog jerked his pistols and said, "Best step away from there, with you're hands up Santana or I'll shot you where you stand !"

"But old freind...You would deny a last request ? I thought I taught you better while yoou rode with me !" Santana said. "I'm surpised that the ways of cilivized folks wouold not deny this smiple last request."

I heard a pistol fire, heard the jump of heavy feet and then, "Next bullet goes in you're chest ! I'll take no more of you're moving around ! I want you're gold and paper money and I want it now !"

Then there was silclice for a while as Santana thought of an answer. He sure as hell was not going to show his former friend. That was my cue. I slipped up behind Santana and let my hard cold steel blade do it dirty work. I think Maddog liked the way Santana's surpised look and then watched as he turned blue then gray.

"NO !" Maddog shouted. "He didn't show me where his money is ! Damn it Hawk.....what the hell did you do ? !"

"Think back, Maddog......I said I would show you where the money is, remember ? Besides......." rasieing my hand to him, with it's bandages. "Blood promise ! Now...come... I will show you. After that, I will leave you."

I could hear the fighting still going on outside. "You said, me and my men could leave here unharmed !" Maddog said as I show him dead Santana' gold.

I shook my head. "No Maddog.....I said you could leave unharmed. I said nothin' about yur men. They're on der own !"

"And my Chinese girl......she will get a job and all you priomesed her ?" Maddog said. I begun to think that this girl was his kin or reminded him of someone dear to him. Ether way, she was important to him. And that was his weakness.

I nodded yes. "Yup...like I said ! Now, get you're money and high tail out of here before Santana's men can figure out der boss aint joinin'em in dis fight !"

I was not gonna wait around to see his greed eatting away at him. I had done what I was forced to do, which was, read the west of another mudering gentlman and one mad man ! I did not feel good about it. I sipped back to where my Appy was, as he had not wondered far from where I left him. He did trust me, and that lefted my spirit some. I rode hell bent for leather in the bright moon light, back to livery in the town Whiskey had built.

At livery I said to Jim......"Let him cool down and wipe him down too. When he stelltes down feed him oats and water........all he can eat and drink !"

Somthin' specail happein' Colonel ?" Jim asked.

Looking toward the east I said, "Yup, somethin' very good !" smiling I payed Jim twice than he would have charged.

I walked down the board walk, toward the Hanging Tree Saloon, through the bat winged doors and saw Goose and Whiskey setting at the table.

I shouted out....."Bottles....a round for the house ! Put it on my tab !" Josie came running out of the back storeage room and leaped into my arms. With a powerfull kiss, she said, "I love you !" without saying a word !

Whiskey had that dazed look and Big Goose let his mouth fall open. Both where in shock ! I said, "Now don't just sit der folks ...drink up ! Hell , it aint everday I buy....now drink up !"

We drank and talked and laughed most of the night away. Josie asked if she could cook anything for us, after all, it was nigh on 4:00 in the morning. As Josie went to cooking, I wishpered, "Folks, we need to talk, .... as soon as da Saloon empties some."

Whiskey whispered, "I'll close now if ya want Hawk ."

"No....got a spy in here somewhars.....might just ride out and tell Maddog. " I wishpered.

"Now here comes some grub !" I damn near shouted as to afford suspcion. Josie was just beaming with delight ! Her man was safe and sound and Maddog has been driven out of the terriorty..........or so she thought.

We ate and talked, about as bubbley as one could get, and that's when Josie got real concered. Real concerned !

She knew we was quite for a reson and played it just like an actress. She leaned in as if to cerres my shoulders and whispered in my ear, "Maddog isn't gone, is he ?" I slowly shook my head no. "You didn't kill me, did you ?" Again I shook my head no and I felt a fingernail dig into the healing wound on my back. A pain like fire and boiling water hit me hard.

"Have some more gravy Hawk !" Josie said as I looked up at her with anger in my eyes. Whiskey was trying to get her attention and Goose was trying to think of something fast. I was about to say something when Goose knocked his coffee cup filled with coffee off the table and onto the wooden floor.

"My.....that was mighty clusy of me !" he said and slide his chair back as if to clean it up. Josie bent down saying, "I'll clean that, Mr. Goose." When she came back up her face was pale white and she was trembling. Goose took care of that.

He was patting Josie's hand and saying, "Non sense Dear...Please allow me to help, after all I am the cause of it !"

Goose took Josie back into the kicthen, never letting go of her hands and whispering to her, "Look at me and walk !"

"What the hell is going on Hawk ? Thought you and Maddog had a deal !" Whiskey said, not even trying to hide the anger in that whisper, if you could call it that. "Think he'll double cross ya ?"

"Countin' on it Whiskey Darlin." I was working my shoulder about, trying to work the pain out of it from the nail stab. "Man like Maddog did not git dat name da easy way. He do not hold nothin' scared....not even blood." I said. "Dat old jail down da street der, somethin' der, somethin Maddog wants bad......we got to hold dat old burn and blow up jail, dat's all der is to it !"

"I have a plan , Hawk. Give me a mintue....." Whiskey said and she went behind her long bar.

Big Goose and Josie came back oout, but this time it was not the same Josie that was trembling, it was a differant Josie, much calmer and determind Josie. I was surpised, as I had not seen this side of her before.

"I took the liberty of explaining things to Josie...but not in great detail. Thought you could do that much better than I." Goose said. Josie took a seat, and Whiskey came up to us with this feller who seemed to walk abit stiff. Then I saw why he walked stiff. Whiskey had her Peacemaker buryed into his back !

Goose smiled and said, "It would appear the Miss Whiskey here, as beautiful as she is, has a killer instict."

I smile and replyed, "It do, dat Goose....it do dat ! " I said, still eatting my breakfast. "Who's dat ?"

"Who is this....Hawk. Who is this ." Goose said, trying once again to teach me proper english. And once again, it did not take.

"Yup, Who's dat ? " I said with a mouth full of buffalo steak.

"Utterly hopeless !" Goose said and looked toward Whiskey.

"This feller has been here in my joint drinking all night." Whiskey said.

Not looking up from my plate of breakfast, I said, "Good coustmer or just good drinker ?"

"Not a one. He's the spy you warned me about !" Whiskey said angerly.

I wiped my mouth, like a proper englishman man would do, then, like a lighting's flash, I had him up agasint the wall, with my fighting knife to his throat !

"Der's one thing I hate worser din a spy but I can not think of it ! Now...you work fer Maddog, so der aint no use in denyin' it. We caught ya red handed. You know who I am, and you know what I can do. Afore I peel yur stinkin hide off like a grape skin, I need to ask ya a question. What's his plan....where's he hole up and how many men and how well armed are dey ?"

"I do belevie that was more than just a question Hawk. You see........." Goose went on..

"Someone shut dat englishman up or I will !" I shouted at Goose. Turning my attention back to the spy I said, "Ya got tree scounds to talk and two of'ems gone ! Now talk or....." I said drawing my fighting knife across his eye. He screamed out as the thought of being blind feared him more than death by Maddog did.

"Hawk....not the eyes !" Whiskey said.

"YES, DA EYES, WOMEN !" I shouted at her, as she fell back abit.

"NOW SPY, IFIN' YA WANT TO KEEP DA OTHER EYE, TALK !" I shouted at him.

"Maddog is gonna wait till you think he felt the terriorty and then he's gonna double back on his trail with some men and take you're mine ! That's all I know, I swear !" He said in a very painful voice.

"You know, uh.....This fellow is not telling you all he knows, it seems." Goose said, sipping his whiskey and coffee.

I grew angeryer and angeryer. "Is dat rat boy ? Ya fear Maddog more din ya fear me ?"

"Fear what Maddog's gonna do to me far worse than you !"

That did it ! I threw him across the bar and with a load Apache War Cry, I threw both my fighting knife and scaplin' knifes, fighting knife striking his skull and scalping knife going into the other eye, pinning him off the floor and to the wall..

Whikey, Goose and now Josie stood there...in fear or admiration for protecting them, I did not know. But it seemed my harsh tactics had proven a point. "Whar's der one rat, deys alaest two !" We all heard a horse galloping out of town toward the east.

I pulled the cork out of a fresh bottle of Bulliet, and had a hard pull of it and went through those bat wing doors. Down the boardwalk, past the dry goods store, and the cafe and the Sawbone's office. I then turned the cornor and walked into the funeral palor. The old man walked in and looked up and said, "Oh....it's you ! Got another poor soul you want me to plant ?"

Looking out his window, I said, "Yup, got nother. Will not have much trouble measurein' him. He's stuck to the wall of da Hanging Tree Saloon."

"Now this I have to see for myself !" the funeral director said as he grabed his coat and headed out the door, with me right behind him. As we entered the bat wing doors, a hot wind came up and I thought that it was not a good sign. Hot wind this early in the morning means weather change is coming.

"Well I'll be damned !" the funeral director said. "All my years planting dead folks, aint never seen nothing like this ! Well, he aint going no where, seeing as I got to get my sled....might as well have a drink before I go get it. Mis Whiskey, do you mind opening a little early for me ?"

"Not at all." Whiskey said. I sled her my half full coffee cup and said "Me too !" She looked at me as if I was half crazy. I think I was.....just wanted this Maddog business over and done.

The funeral palor director worked my knifes out of this cowpoke's skill and handed them back to me, after wiping the blood, gray matter off them. I sat down, with my back to the wall. Bottles brought me a bottle of Bulliet and a shot glass along with some biscuits and a deck of playing cards.

"Gonna play cards all day Hawk ?" Whiskey asked, still not knowing what I had in mind or even if I had lost my mind.

I shook my head no very slowly and didn't even look up. Whiskey pushed her hat back on her head and looked at Big Goose, who, had a finger up to his lips.

All was quiet as Big Goose softy spoke. Whispering he said to Whiskey, "He's listening to the Spirits. And they will tell him what to do and when to do it."

Whiskey walked over to Goose, who was a head and shoulders taller than her and asked him, "Are the Spirits always right ?"

"Not always !" Goose said to Whiskey and eased out the bat winged doors.

The day rolled along, and the hot wind only got hotter and blew faster. As the sunset, dusty cowboys came in, gamblers started to swindle the hard rock miners out of their hard earned money. Food and whiskey flowed freely, a few fights and the soiled doves where working hard. Still I just sat there, drinking my Bulliet, eatting my last biscuit and playing cards. A few older cowboys came up to me asking for a game, and I didn't answer them. I knew something very bad was on it's way....to this little town.

I went to livery and woke the young man from his slumber. "James....Whars my saddle, son ? I need to get somethin' from da saddle bags !"

"Lightering a latern, James comes in and said, "Over der, in da far stall wall."

I went to my saddle bags, getting my large medince bag out of it, along with a few boxes of shells. I also got a strade of beads out of it and put them around my neck.

"Mister Hawk, Ifin' der's gonna be a fight, I want to help you out. My Papa built dis bussness down da street. And I built dis'in here. Dis town, is gonna be my home and I wanta fight fer my home. Wif ya or on my own !"

I sighed and realized, James meant business. I tossed him my lever action 45-70 and two boxes and said,..."Son, do not fire untill ya can see da whites of der eyes. Dat gun will take a man clean out of his boots."

"Yes Sir, and Thank ya !" James said to me, admiring my rifle.

"Fer what....gittin' ya kilt ?" I said in a harsh voice.

"No Sir ! Fer allowin' me to fight fer my home. Papa foought fer da Gray and was never ashamed of it nether !" James said to me with pride.

I smiled, patting him on the shoulder and walked out the large door into the dark street and hot wind. I jst hoped he knew what he was gitting into and that he would live through it. At just 22 years old, he was much to young to die.

I walked back into the Hanging Tree Saloon to find Whiskey, Goose and Josie setting at the table, trying to figure out what I'm doing. The hot wind seemed to be getting hotter in the middle of the night. Walking up to the bar I asked Bottles for a bottle of the really good stuff, what Whiskey kepted held back. Whiskey nodded in approval.

Taking the bottle over to the table and setting it down, I leaned my 1860 Henry agasint the back wall, I poured all four of us a long drink. And Josie threw her's back and pushed her glass forward for another round. This once timied women had become a fearless women. I admired that in her. Maybe I could marry her.

"Hell is here, the Spirits told me. Git ready..It's gonna be a long, hard and blood fight. Some of the town's folk will die. Maybe some of my kin sattin' here at dis table."I said. "James, down at livery thinks his ready, but I do not know. Maybe the smell of battle and the smell of human guts will scare him to death. Just have to wait and see. But I just want to give ya a heads up. I will not think badly ifin any y'all want to pull out now." I replyed.

"Whiskey was the first one to speak up. "Hawk, yoou and me , have fought together to save this town more than once. I'll do it again and with pride !"

Big Goose cleared his throat, then begain to speak. "Colonel, we fought in the war and we both know what that is all about. I would that if this event can be avoidded, I will take it and gladly. But, alest, I see it came not be so. Therefore, I will stand by you're side to the bitter end, Sir."

Josie looked around the table. Her eyes where once that of a shy young saloon girl, but now had the look of determation and friceness in them. "I think you all know what I am and the way I feel for Hawk here. He is my man. I hope that someday he will make a honset women of me, but untill then and there after I will share his lodge, his life, his joys and yes, his battles as well. Count me in. I aint going no where."

Looking around the table, I saw this rag tag platoon and I felt damn proud. But the Spirits had warned me of much blood, pain and suffering before this is said and done. All we had to do is get to the old jail, and hold it.

I raised up my head and slide the empty bottle across the table, while looking Whiskey in the eye.

"Would ya git me some grub ? Ya know da kind. And din I'll tell ya da lan. Bring a bottle too !" She told the soiled dove what to cook for me and went to her special stock, bring it saying,

"Goona have to go to Jawja again and get somemore from my kin." as she poured me some. I lite up a ceegar and asked Whiskey where Big Goose was ?

Whiskey said, "He's gone out of town for a spell. Said something about healing herbs and such. Should be back anytime now !"

"Good....We have much to talk about." I said.

The grub arrived...piping hot. Steak, beans, taters, fryed okra, biscuits and hot coffee. Followed up by a slice of pecan pie. After I finsihed this meal, Goose came in and sat down. He looked beat.

I slide the bottle to me and a glass. Goose poured himself a glass of Whiskey's special brand and said, "I found what I was looking for. And found a few hostiles along with these herbs."

"Think dey will be back ?" I asked.

Goose swallowed the amber fiuld and spoke, "Not the ones that tangled with me !"

Whiskey saw Goose was back and came over, grabbing a chair and turning it backward while sliding into it.

"We are all here Hawk. All three of us ! Now if you got a plan, I would very much like to here it now !" Whiskey said. I could tell this fighting over and over again was wearing on her. Ever snice she loaded her one wagon and Vern walking, leaving burnt Atlanta...burned by Maddog and his men in the war, ever place she stopped, trouble seemed to find her. Whiskey was fast with her Peacemakers and a good shot with her carbine, and that drew gunfighters from all over the country.

James had heard of Whiskey too. But he wasn't a gun fighter. He was a blacksmith and a livery stable owner. His Paw was a smith and so was his Great Grand Paw. And he was a damn good soilder too. A Confederate who was also a damn good knife maker. I can't say more, cause I do not have the words other than damn good. Well balanced, good for throwing and fighting, held an edge very well. AS well, he knew horse flesh well too ! I could count on him to distact Madog's men, if Maddog had any.

The Chinese girl, now she could be a problem. She had something to do with Maddog, but what ? Whiskey could have a women to women talk to her and with a little gentle persation, she would do anything Whiskey told her.

I had a map of the town and surounding area laying across the table. I said, "Goose, I want ya to find a lace on top of one of dem buildins'. Make a good place so da sun do not make a sahow of ya nor blind ya. I want ya to be able to pick off Maddog's men at a fer distance. Whiskey, you and me are gonna take over dat jail and defend it fer all we're worth. I'll take dat west side and front, you take the south side and da front also. I have two shatter guns fer da burnt off roof. Maddog wants dis place very very bad. We need to find out why."

Whiskey turnd her chair around and said"Hawk, there's no reason why Maddog's men would'nt burn my Saloon down just like they did in Jawja. But we got to hit Maddog where it hurts. I got a plan for his Chinese girl." she said with a smile on her face.

Goose spoke up and set his saddle bags on the table." I have manged to find some herbs to help with the wounds we undoubtly we take. I take it you all know of the hot iron ?" Everyone nodded thier heads yes. "Good ! Goose said. "That will save me time of explaining to you. I need to eat now."

"Ok. James......I want you to think dat dis is still da war. Shoot at anythin', and I do mean anythinn' dat moves, ya here. Dat's a direct order ! James nodded and asked, "When do ya expect des fith of a Yankees to show us, Sir."

I answered "Sometime tomarrow, son. Folks, drink whiskey lighty, ate much and get a full night's sleep. I expect alot of killin'. Please make damn sure it's not you dat gits shoot."

Whiskey spoke up and asked, "Why the hell do you always plan out and tell us what to do ?" By this, I knew she was tired of all the fighting just to stay alive and in buissness. I was going to answer Whiskey but before I could Big Goose spoke up.

"Because Colonel Hawk has seen more killing in his life time than anyone here. Confederate Colonel, Texas Ranger, US Marshal.....he knows what he's doing. Saved my life many a time !"

Whiskey said to me, "Sorry to doubt you, Hawk ." As she poured me another drink from her special stock, the Chinese girl made a apperance.

For the life of me, never saw someone of the celestial persuasion with green eyes. This girl can keep my saloon from being burnt down and save the people in it. With her tied up right and proper, Maddog would think twice about burnin down my place.

I got to talkin with her, not easy at first seeing as her English was not that good and my Chinese was non existant. Well, it turned out she was of mixed blood, Chinese mom and a wealthy, educated father what was kilt durin the war. Her father taught her French.

I found out a lot bout her, how both sides of her family refused to accept her, the cause of her unhappy situation. How can you turn your back on kin, even if they look a bit different? She was young, but had been through much. I explained about Maddog, she had a hard time accepting that her benefactor was a cold hearted demon. I explaind he was comin to town, intent on as much death and destruction as we would let him get away with. Explained why we had to tie her up for her own safety. We took her to an interior room in the Saloon, trussed her up and had Josie stand guard. James, I hadn covering the road leading into town.

We all settled in for a long wait and we would not be disapponited. Sun raise came and went. It was nigh on 11:00 in the morning when I spotted the first rider coming right for us. I heard Big Goose fire his buffalo rifle then, after about three seconds, I saw the rider fall backward off his horse. Then there came four more riders, all at the same time ! And they started riding right for us, head on, right into our waiting guns. But they fell short of their goal. Or had they ?

I had doubted Maddog would try a frontal assult.....These five men had died to prove that it was a foolish attempt. I knew Maddog now would hit us from the sides but which side, the west or east. Big Goose and I had the west covered and Whiskey and James had the east covered. No way they could hit us from behind. It was a soild rock wall, for atleast 600 feet up.

"Guess that taught those fellers not to mess with us !" Whiskey said, looking toward me.

"Maddog got the information he was lookin' fer, Whiskey. When dem fellers do not report back, he'll know he can not hit us at da front." I said as I lowered my rifle a rolled a smoke.

Whiskey frowned, looking at me. "Don't you think that's not too wise....lighting up like that. Maddog will know where we are."

"He already do know Whiskey. " I said and drew a heavy draw on the cigarette. "He knows excatly where we are. You and me......He do not know how many or who, but he knows some one is here. He will not attack again tonight. So ya might as well break out dat bottle !" I said

Whiskey looked very surpised. "How do you know I brought a bottle with me ? ! There aint nothing but food in there, Hawk ..."

I smiled, holding out a wooden cup and said, "Little birdy told me ! Now pour,...I'm thristy !"

I looked in the safe with the gold and the money and realized there was more money there than I had figured. I turned around to tell Hawk and he was no longer behind me. I walked in to the front room where Santana was laying and I could see hawk making his way back to his horse. The fighting was still going on outside and I figured Hawk was right, I should go and they would not know who to blame for Santana’s death. I found a set of large saddle bags and proceeded to load them with the money and the gold, and it barely fit in it. I had taken of light where everything out of the safe and was about to leave but something about that safe did not look right. The inside of the safe only was half as deep as the whole safe. I went and got a lantern and I could see a hole in the upper corner of the back wall where something looked like it would fit in it and maybe make the back open up. I went in the other room and search Santana’s desk and then looked at him on the floor. I went thru his pockets and then noticed a reflection when Hawk had cut his throat. He was wearing a gold chain and it had a key on it. I took the key and it opened the false back of the safe. I found a ledger book, ten bank books, four pocket watches, a ladies necklace with a locket on it and a map. I decided to take all of it and I would look it over later. Most of the shooting had stopped and I figured it was time to go. I then heard the front door open and two men come in and then I heard them checking Santana’s body. I heard one of them ask if the other if he found the key so they must have known about the safe. Then next voice I heard I knew.

“Dam it, find the key!!!”

“I found the chain, but the key is gone!”

“Dam, ok, let’s check the safe”

I thought for a second and then I grabbed a piece of paper, wrote a quick note, and threw it in the safe, and then hid in the closet and watched as they forced the door open and ran to the safe.

“Dam, it is empty and the back section has been cleaned out. Nothing left but a note”

“Well, read you idiot!!!”

The note read:

“Hart, thanks for the money. Hawk”

William S Hart stood up and looked around.

“That dam Halfbreed sided with Maddog and took everything. I knew I should have stayed with him. Go outside and get everybody to stop shooting. Tell them that Maddog and Hawk double crossed them and took everything. Get them organized and I will lead them against Maddog and Hawk and I will wipe them out. No mercy, kill everybody and we will burn that town to the ground. I want that book and those maps; they are worth more money that any of us will see in our entire lives. Get them ready, I want to ride at first light.”

"Yes, Boss” and I saw the man run out of the room and heard him go out the door.

Hart walked in the other room and I heard him pour a drink,

“Santana, I should killed you myself, now I have to find Maddog and Hawk and kill them. You were supposed to make this easy for me, now I have to find them and get everything back before they figure out what they got.” I heard Hart go out the door.

I waited until sunrise and then I heard shouting and a big group of men ride off. I walked into the front room and looked out the door. I could see them riding off to fight Hawk and his friends and I was rid of everybody. I went over to the desk and got out the stuff that was hid in the back of the safe. I looked over the items and the locket looked familiar, I looked closer and could see the chain was stained with blood. I grabbed the watches and when I checked the third one, it hit me. I think if Hawk had gutted me, it would not have hurt as much. The watch had a solid gold M on it. My hand was shaking and I knew what was in it, but I opened it and looked just to make sure. I reach over and opened the locket and I knew where the blood had come from. I walked over and kick Santana’s body over so I could see his face.

Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, click, click, click, click, click as I emptied my Colt into his face.

I walked back to the desk and put the locket and the watch around my neck and stuffed everything into the saddlebags. I picked up the lamp on the desk and threw it at Santana. It broke in to pieces and covered his body with oil. I lit a match and threw it on his body.

"BURN IN HELL, you rotten bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I kicked the door open, went down to my horse and rode off.

Archived