SASS Wire Forum

Lone Rider

Apache Hawk 60642

I was drifting from town to town. No job and some gold from my last job of tracking down cattle rushers. That job was way too long and way too bloody. Alot of folks got hurt in that fight, but it wasn't my fault. If that ranch owner did what I told him he should do, that fight cold be all avoided.

I stopped to get my bearings and to water my horse. It was hot out in the noon day sun. After my stud drank his fill and the pack horses did the same, I moved on till I found a rock out cropping in the desert, with a trout stream just below it. As I made camp for the night, I remembe hearding stoires about how those spainsh men where to have put their gold near here. An are guarding the gold with their ghosts.

I smiled and made a pot of coffee from the fresh creek water and then went fishing. Caught two fine looking browns, hung them up on my line where the horses where resting and poured myself a hot cup. I went to my pack and took out some sugar, putting it in my coffee. But when I looked up, the fish where gone ! "Aint no such thing as ghosts !" I said to myself.

I looked around for tracks in the sand and on the rocks. But even for a half breed like me, it was damn hard to find any, but I did. And they lead me back to my own camp. I didn't see a thing the rest of the day, and at morning I wanted to see what was going on, so I started to climb the hill that lead to this high level outcropping. On this outcropping was a stream, rabbits and green grass to feed the horses. I was moving my camp there and I felt aset of eyes on me. In a flash I drew my Dragoon and cocked it while pointing it at what looked like a mountian man.

"Excuss me fer starin'. Been I while since I laid eyes on a white man " He shouted down to me.

He stood there, his Hawken in his hand and laying across his fore arm...slight wind blowing his bear hide coat and his hair to the side. He was massive !

I holistered my Dragoon and inveted him into my camp. He nodded and stepped out of sight only to step back into sight a few mintues later.

Name's John.........Most folks, injuns mostly.....call me "Bear trapper. I trap bears and yotes to sell their hides."

I pointed to the rabbit on the spit and the fish frying. Had some biscuits in the dutch oven too. "Take yur fill John." I said and poured another cup of coffee.

"You here lookin fer dat gold, ain't cha ?" John asked. I did not answer, but it did perk my interest.

"Dey say the Spanish hide der gold near here. Guard it wif thier ghosts. I met many a man who lost his mind lookin' fer dat gold. Sun must've fryed der brains."

I sipped on my coffee to wash down the rabbit and said, "My Pa always said dat Fools faller gold ! Nope, I'm gonna be movin' on tomarraw."

"Just as well.....John said. "Aint gonna bury nother mindless man !"

John left come sunup and I cleaned up camp after breakfast, feed the stock, and went exploring. I climbed up a rock and smelled fresh air coming out a large creak in the rock. I though,..."Ifin fresh air is comin' out, den it's gotta be comin' in somewhar." I climb up a little higher and found a cross craved into the rock face. "It can't be !" I said out to myself. I climbed a bit higher and rounded a outcropping and found the cave. The lost Spanish cave with all this gold that many a man went inshane to find.

There was ore laying all over the cave's floor, just waiting to be picked up. As I bent down to pick it up, I felt human eyes on my back again. I was hell bent to find who was watching me ! Ghosts be damned !

I went down to my camp, grapped my saddle bags, stuffed as much gold ore inside as I could carry and climbed back down after carefully cover ant sign of me being that high up. Night was coming and ifif' I wanted to sleep in town with a women, I best be gittin' a move on I thought. Saddled my horse and rode off toward town for the night.

When I got into town, everyone was looking at me. It wasn't often a breed came riding freely into town. I reined up outside the assay office. As I walked in a little bell above the door rang abit and a voice behind he counter asked, "Can I help you Sir ?" I din't answer but dropped the contents of one saddle bag on the counter.

"How Much ?" I asked.

"Lawd have mercy......Whar did ya find this, Mister ?" the clerk asked.

"How much ?" I asked again.

The clerk said, " Forty dollars !"

"Hunderd dollars !" I said as I dumped out the other saddle bag onto the counter.

"Hunderd dollars it is, Sir !" said the clerk as he started counting out Yankee dollars. He turned a book around and said, "Just sign here !"

I took the pen in my hand, dripped it into the ink well and wrote "Colonel, CSA."

I then took my money and walked down to the first Saloon I could find. I ordered a steak, with all the trimings and a whiskey. As the waitress left, I looked over at the Faro table where there was some men playing the game. I walked over to the bar to get some more whiskey and I saw a man was giving another man a hard time, saying something like he was cheating him.

"Aint none of my bussiness." I thought as I walked back to my table. As I sat down, I saw the one man reach for hie pocket gun, but the other man jerks his peacemaker first and shot him through. "Clean kill." I thought. "He got some gunfighter experinace to him." And then he walked right over to my table. I had my hand on my Dragoon and cocked in the holister as he took his hat off. It was not a "He" after all but a "She".

"Howdy Hawk", she said. "And what do I owe the pleasure of yur company in my Saloon ?" As she pushed her hat back I could see it was Whiskey Business.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So Whiskey Darlin', what got ya into dis bussness ?" I asked. She shouted above the roar of people talking and laughing, "Bottles, a bottle of my praivate stock......keep yur fingers out of it or I'll give ya a taste of this across yur teeth !" Whiskey said as she waved her Peacemaker in the air.

Bottles brought the un opened bottle of Bulliet and sat it on the table. I poured Whiskey three fingers worth and poured myself the same.

"So, what brings you into town Hawk ? As I recall, you don't like towns much." Whiskey said as she sipped her froniter whiskey.

"Still dat way gal. Just look at dem fools tryin to win back der money. Odds are in da house favor. " I said to her, with a wink.

She smiled and said, "Hawk...you got a line of credit here any ole time, you know that, right ?"

"Ya, I know. But won't be needin' it...I figure. Think I hit it big, Whiskey. I know I can trust ya so I think I dat cave where da Spanish hid der gold." I said.

"I thought that cave was just folklore !" Whiskey said as she pour my and herself another drink. "You mean to say it's real ?" I nodded.

My steak and taters and beans came and I shifted the conversation. "Didn't know you whar anywhar in da terriorty much less runnin' a bussiness." I said in between bites, "Thought you'd find me to bust some rowdy heads now an again !"

"I tought to have Hawk, but I shore didn't know where you where." Whiskey said as I pushed back my plate and lit a ceegar. Whiskey wanted to pour me another drink, but I covered my glass with my hand.

"Nope Darlin, Had nuff. Just gonna sit back here, watch des fools and bed down some whars." I told her.

She smiled and said, "You got a room at the hotel then !?"

"Naw....Smells bad. I'll just sleep in the livery. I'll be alright....don't worry none Darlin !" I said as I stood up and started to walk toward the batwing doors.

"I know that well, Hawk !" Whiskey shouted out to me as she went back to watching over her Saloon. As I walked out I looked up at the sign hanging over head. "Hangin' Tree Saloon, uh ? Dat fits !" I thought to myself.

As I walked toward the livery, hummin' this little tune, I felt human eyes on me again. This time I knew why. I went into livery and took my hammer strap off my Dragoon and went about making my bedroll. Then I was still waiting for that some one to make his move and so I unsaddled my horse. He made the mistake of making a noise !

As swift as a cat on the hunt, I whirled around, pulling my Dragoon, cocking it and putting it to the nosie maker's head and grabbing the knife hand, blocking it from movement. "Aint very polite, Friend !" I said.

I pulled this person into the Hanging Tree Saloon, sat him down in a chair and commened to shave off half his beard. "Dar....Look much more better now Friend. Did not hear ya name !"

He looked at me and responded, "I didn't give it !"

"You sombitch !" and back handed him so hard he flew out of his chair. I put his knife into my boot and said to the crowd, "He got off easy ! Next time will be differant !" It wasn't untill later I found out his was the mayor's son, Brain.

I went back to the livery and settled down, sleeping very lightly. Come morning, I went back to the Hanging Tree Saloon and found a cup of hot, fresh coffee waiting for me. "Hawk....knew you where still in town. " Whiskey smiled and slide the hot brew my way.

"How come ?" I asked as I sipped it.

"Cuz you never do nothing without us hearing about it. Come into town, we hear about it. Leave town, we hear about it. Didn't hear about you leaving, so I knew you where still here !" Whiskey said, crossing her arms and siftling her stance.

I took a long drink from the cup and said, "So it would appear.......Get yur horse saddled.....ride wif me fer a spell."

She looked up ay me with a puzzled look and answered, "Ok......I'll bite........What's up ?"

I just smiled and said, "You'll see. Bring yur carbine and a box of shells too !"

Bam! Bam! Bam! Sheriff! Sheriff! Open up! I know you can hear me! Open the door!

I rolled over in my bunk and looked at my watch on my desk. 7:00 am. Two hours of sleep was just not going to cut it today. “Keep your pants on Mayor, I will be right there.” I had not heard any shooting yet this morning, so there was no telling what he would want this early in the morning. I rolled out of my bunk and pulled up my pant and put on my boots. “Sheriff, I want to talk to you”. “This had better be important, Mayor, I be dressed in a minute “ I walk over the bowl in the corner and washed the sleep out of my eyes and put on my shirt and my vest, the star on vest shined bright in my eyes this morning. Why did I ever take this job, I was so much easier just to take what I wanted and I use to get plenty of sleep. Oh well, I guess I will open the door. I picked up my shotgun off my desk and unbolted the door. “Come in Mayor, what seems to be the big problem this morning.” The mayor walked in and had his kid with him. “There was a Halfbreed Indian rode into town yesterday with a bunch of gold and he attacked my son last night. Look what he did to him. He tried to cut half his face off.” “It looks like an improvement, why you don’t take him down to barber shop and have Floyd finish the job.” The Mayor swelled up.” Well, what are you going to do about this, next thing you know, he will be scalping the good people of this town in the street.” “Right now, I am going across the street and have breakfast. Then I will find him and have a talk with him about his business in town and I will settle this matter. Where is that Indian?” “I just saw him going in to that woman’s saloon, he looks like a real killer, and maybe she hired him to run me out of business.” I looked at the Mayor and shook my head. “Just because you had the only saloon in town and she opened one up, you been trying to get rid of her ever since. I said I would take care of this.” The mayor looked me and frowned.” Ok, Sheriff, just handle it” He grabbed his son and pushed him thru the door. The Mayor looked back and said “Sheriff, they are both coming down the middle of the street, you better stop them.” I looked out the door and told him “get Mathis and Svede, tell them to get in position, and wear their badges”.

Whiskey and Hawk were slowly riding up the street and was almost even with the jail when I walked out in from of them with my shotgun. “Both of you stop right there. Get off those horses and tie them up in from the jail. We are all going in my office and have a talk.” They both pulled up and Hawk looked right at me. I thought to myself, great, this may not go well, I had seen that look too many times in my life and every time, I have had to kill that person. I looked at Hawk and said,” Before you do anything, you may want to notice my two deputies on each side of you, their shotguns are loaded with dimes and they will not hesitate to cut you in half if you don’t do as I ask. It’s your play, mister.”

Hawk looked a Whiskey and she could tell that he was not going to have anybody do this to him. Whiskey quickly spoke up, ”Ok Sheriff, we will come with you.” In a lower voice, she said to Hawk ”I have seen him do this before to other men he wanted to talk to, the last time all that was left of them was a bloody mess and I don’t think he even waited for them to draw.”

“Well, if you are asking, I will this time, but he won’t do this to me again!” Hawk said.

Hawk and Whiskey rode over to the rail and got off their horses. I walked up to the jail door and opened it and Hawk and Whiskey walked into the jail. I pulled up two chairs and set them in from of my desk and sat down in my chair behind the desk while laying my shotgun on the desk.

I looked at them and smiled, “Have a seat right here” Hawk and Whiskey sat down and Svede and Mathis took up positions behind them and just off to the side of each of them.

Hawk looked at them and then to me. "I don’t like having men behind me with drawn guns, they don't usually live very long when they do that.”

I looked Hawk right in the eyes, "I don't know you and I am alot more comfortable with them there and trust me, they will live alot longer than you will should you make me feel uncomfortable."

“Anyhow, I will get to you in a minute; I want to talk the Lady here first so wait your turn.”

Whiskey looked at me,”Why Sheriff, what do you want with me, I have not done anything wrong.”

“I am glad you think so but I beg to differ on that point, the man dumped in the street after you shot him was the third one in the last two weeks, and I am getting tired of cleaning up after you. Ever since you showed up, my ability to have a nice quiet night has ended. Between you and the Mayor, I don’t know which of you have cost me more sleep.”

Whiskey replied, ”I cannot help that the Mayor cannot stand the competition of having two saloons in town, maybe you should tell him to close his down.”

“I have a better idea, as of right now; there is a 10pm curfew in effect until further notice. Last call is at 9:30, and everybody is to be locked up by 10:00pm.

Whiskey was getting mad. ”You can do not that to just me, how am I to make any money? That is not fair!”

Hawk shifted in his chair and had that look again. I glanced up at my deputies and they had their shotguns pointed right at his head. They knew if I winked they were to to blow his head right his shoulders. I knew I could always count on them and they would never hesitate.

“Calm down, Lady. This is for the entire town. That includes the Mayor and everybody else. I am having signs posted at each end of town and anybody coming in to town after 10pm is to report to my office. If I find anybody wandering around, I will shoot first and throw them in jail providing they live.”

“Second, if you keep throwing bodies in the street, you may find yourself in one of my cells; I don’t want any more trouble at your place.”

“That was fair fight and he was cheating at cards and drew on me first! I had to defend myself.”

“Lady, nothing concerning you is fair from what I have seen. Just run a nice quiet business and you will not have any problems from me. Just consider this friendly advice.”

I looked Hawk right in the eyes. I could see the fury building in them. I guess it was time to find out about him.

"I introduced myself to Whiskey when she came to town and I am going to do the same for you. My name is J.D. McCoy, and the two men behind you are Svede on your left and Mathis on your right. I have known them for about 15 years or so and I trust them without question. The three of us came here after the war and have been the law here ever since. Now you know us, it is your turn."

Hawk looked at Whiskey and then back to me and did not say anything. I decided maybe I was going to have to push a bit to get my answers.

"Well, I don't think you are a barber as I saw your work first thing this morning and you did a poor the job of it on an unwilling customer. I want you to know that my impression of you is that you are a gun for hire and may have come to town to see if she needs any help. I am telling she does not need a hired gun and I don’t care for them in my town. I want to know the following things about you. What is your name, where did you come from, what town did you work in last and how long do you intend to be here. You can tell me what I want to know or be my guest here in my jail until you do. What do you have to say, mister?”

I was in high cotton when I first opened the Hangin Tree. Didn't have trouble at first, but when the mayor's customers started leavin his saloon for mine, well that's when it all began. He started a campaign against me and mine to run me out of town.

At first the pranks were mild, somewhat funny. There was this time he got the Ladies Church Choir to sing "We will Overcome" on my saloon stoop over and over. After bout an hour, I walked out the bat wings and told em "That was right nice, bet y'all are powerful thirsty from all that singin. Come on in, first round's on the house!" They did beat a hasty retreat.

Got nastier after that. There was shipment of potatoes ruined by hog slop, and I likes my taters. And the time someone doused the outhouse behind the saloon with kerosine and set it on fire. Poor Badger barely made it out alive! Never seen someone run so fast with his pants round his ankles and hat ablaze! Impressive, needed a drink after that sight, though.

It kept on gettin worse from there, harrasin customers and saloon girls. He even kicked my dog!

Couple weeks ago, startin gettin ornery card sharps in the Hangin Tree. Five in all to date. They would cheat like the dickens, not even tryin to hide it much. Think they was just tryin too get me to draw, think it's the mayor's doin. I honestly belive he is just tryin to kill me now. Not that the sheriff is doin much bout the matter.

And now this! Before Hawk even had a chance to say anythin, I commenced to unload on the sheriff with both barrels, figurativly speakin, of course.

"Are you out of your cotten pickin mind! What call do you have to put us at gunpoint? Hawk is no hired gun, he's almost like family, known him since the war."

The more I lit into him, the angrier I got. Louder too, judging from the number of townsfolk gatherin outside the jail. He was gettin real mad, face turned red, eyes gettin narrow.

"And as you pointed out, I don't need to hire any guns considerin the bodies in the street. And I believe the mayor sent those men to kill me, but have you done anythin bout it? And a curfew won't help any, those dead men drew on me durin the day. You seem content to just stand by and let the mayor get rid of me for good! Think I like ventilatin killers? That's supposed to be your job! You also seem content to let a woman do your job!"

"Oh, and as for puttin me in that cell, YOU CAN TRY!"

Holy Crow! He was sputterin mad, I was real glad most the town was hearin this. Heck, they probably heard me in Georgia!

"J.D. McCory, uh ?" I said looking him dead in the eyes. "Ain't you dat coward dat dem Yankees be lookin' fer ?" Whiskey was calming down, but the crowd was still outside the jail.

"And I aint no hired gun fer Whiskey here. She's got her killin' bout figured out now cuz I taught her never to go into some place wif out a way out. As fer me, I fought in da War Of Northern Aggression, and ifin' you look close J.D. , you know who I am, and what you know what I can do. Now, me and Whiskey here, are gonna ride out of here cuz my bussiness is done here, but I'll be back from time to time." I said.

I stood up and when I did I heard the clicking of double barrel shotguns. I turn and looked at those men and said, "You fire, at me or at this young lady here, you'll hit ole J.D. here........no way around dat ! Sides, folks will see it too !" I put out my hand and opened the jail house door for Whiskey. "Now, we'll be takin' our leave now, J.D. and we'll go see da mayor fore we leave, just in case !" I said.

With that Whiskey and I walked out the door, swung up into our saddles and turned toward the mayors house. As we neared his house, I saw him come out with a shotgun in his hands, aimed at the ground. "You sombitch !" Whiskey shouted out and I put my arm out to stop her from dismounting. And she said something in french, I think..

"I spoke to J.D just a mintue ago, Mr. Mayor. Call off yur hounds now and leave Whiskey and her place be, ya hear ?" I told him.

"What if I don't hear, Hawk !" the mayor said. I knew he didn't have the guts to raise that scattergun so I said, "You damn shore don't want to find out ! Leave her place and leave her be ! "

I swung back up into my saddle and we rode out of town, together and in fornt of the whole town. I had to smile at myself and said to Whiskey....."Beat dem Yankees gain, uh !"

We rode out to my camp and when we was there, I felt those human eyes on me again. following me around, and I felt they were angery. "I 'll show you my find come daylight. Aint safe up der at night." I said to Whiskey as I unloaded my pack horse and unsaddled Whiskey's horse.

INthe morning, after a hearty breakfast, I took Whiskey up on the rock wall above us. "Look here !" I said, pointing to a cross craved into the rock. "I just kepted on rememberin' what I had heard as a boy." I told Whiskey. "Din, I found some fresh air movin' whar fresh air aint to be movin', So I kepted on lookin, till I found dis place." I said to her and pointed to the cave.

"Holy Crow, Hawk ! Never seen this much gold !" Whiskey said, her eyes wide open.

"Wait to keep dat why too." I said to her and we climbed back down.

Neither one of us said a word till we hit camp and I pulled Whiskey aside. " Listen...some one is watchin' us right now. I'll go caught supper and you take a look round."

Ohhhh No, Hawk ! You aint sticking me with building a camp fire and clean 'em !" Whiskey said, with her hands on her hips, tapping her PeaceMaker's plow handle, slighty.

"I'm gonna fish," I told her. "You should go have a look see !"

With that she left and I went to fishing and caught two. With nuber three on the line I heard Whiskey hallor, "Hawk....You gonna want to see this !"

I dropped my hook and line and came running.

Whiskey held something in her hand and while that thing was struggling to get away, I heard a little, "Turn me loose !" come out of it's mouth. Whiskey shook it and said, "Here's you're ghost Hawk....in the world of the living !"

"Is dat what I think it is ?" I asked, pushing my hat back on my head.

"Shore is ! It's the girl that's been stealing you're food !" Whiskey said and moved that mop of hair out of her face. "Now girl, you best behave when I turn you loose, cause I will shoot ya if you don't !"

I looked at Whiskey, who smiled at me, and I asked, "What's yur name, Girl ?"

Whiskey shook her again and she said, "Mary.........My name's Mary !"

"That's better ! Ya got a last name, Girl ?" I asked.

I saw her looking at the stew simmering away, and I said, "I'll let you eat when ya answer my questions. "

She looked at me, and said, "Can't remember........been on my own a long time."

Looking at Whiskey, I nodded to serve her some stew, which see did, and Mary inhaled it and put her plate out for more. So I piled it on.

"How'd ya wind up out here girl ?" I asked, pouring myself a cup pf coffee and took a seat on a near by rock.

Between mouthfulls of stew, she answered, "Pa and Ma sold me to a stranger for a live mule. Ours dead on the way out to California. My family's poor !"

I asked, "How come dis place, Mary ?"

She sat her plate down and poured a cup of coffee and said, "What better place to hide ? ! With all those ghost stories, who would come snooping around here.........Expect you, Mr. Sliver hawk."

I looked at Whiskey, who looked surpised as I was. "How come you know my name, young lady ?"

"Every person in Virginia knows who you are ! The Rider, The Ghost Rider, who hit the Yankee troops alone, till our boys could come up ! The only Confederate Officer with a Yankee bounty on his head during the war ! Yeah, I knew you and I know what you did, and what you can do too !" Mary replyed.

I looked at Whiskey kinda embarrassed and said, "Whiskey....git her cleaned up........do somethin' wif dat hair and we'll see what we're workin' with. "

Whiskey could see the wheels turning in my mind and asked, "What's you planning, Hawk ?"

I didn't answer her but spoke to Mary instead, "Mary...Ifin' you give me yur word you won't run....ya found a place with us. What'd do ya say ?"

"To ride along side the Ghost Rider of the South would be an honor. You got my word !"

As the sun set and supper was finished, Whiskey brought her back into camp all clean and washed up and the mop on head head was all combed out. Mary was a very good looking girl. As we sat around my fire getting to know each other better, Whiskey and me was drinking whiskey from the bottle that Whiskey had brought with her when Mary reached out for the bottle.

To our surpise, Mary poured some whiskey in her cup, and sipped it slowly. Seeing our surpised look she said, "I'm 17 years old. I took a frying pan and busted old man Seris knees, breaking them after he beat me. So I can drink if I want too !"

This was the first time since we meet that Mary forced her opinion on Whiskey and me. And it would not be the last time.

"Hawk.....We got to figure out a way to get Mary into town without being seen !" Whiskey spoke up.

I nodded yes and said, "I see whar you comin' from, Whiskey. 2 people leave town and three return would look funny to J.D. He may just lock her up, use her fer slave labor or worse.

Whiskey said, "I'll go back into town, and see if I can sneak a wagon out without anybody seeing. Give me two days Hawk. "

"Here, take dis money. Dis is fer da wagon, horses, and clothes fer Mary. Don't want to give ole J.D. a hole to step through ! And tell the old man in da Assey Office, I'll be in again in a few weeks, and to have all my stuff ready. He'll know what ya mean." I said to Whiskey.

Whiskey looked over at Mary and said, "You'd best beddown now, Tomarrow is gonna be a long...........Well, I'll be dipped......look at this Hawk ?". She was pointing to where Mary was laying fast asleep, with a full belly for the first time in months.

"Hawk........She said she has heard of you. Called you the Ghost Rider of the South. What was that all about ?" Whiskey asked with a very concerned face.

"I did alot of crazy things back din, took a lot of stuipd chances. Dat's all." I replyed.

"Sounds like alot more than that Hawk. She knew that you rode for the South. She also knew you stood you're ground in front of the advancing Yankees till our troops could come up. She knows more about you than I do and we've known one nother for many years. Is thst why you go crazy when faced with trouble ? You kinda get that blank look on you're face before all hell breaks loose. Am I right Hawk ? I could tell Whiskey was very concerned and had every right to be.

"Whiskey Darlin', I knew some day dis wood find me. So I'll tell ya now,. I was one mean bastard in the War and just after too. Didn't mind a bit who I killed as long as it was wearing blue. Din after the war, took to bein a lawman. Still busting heads and sprayin guts all about. Wanted to put dat all behind me and dat's why I took to roamin'. I aint proud of what I did, but I can't chance what happened." I said to her. I could not even look her in the eye this time.

I also said, "You'd best git some sleep now. Gonna be a long day come sun up." Then I settled down in my bedroll, looking up at the stars, wondering what have I done. I sighed heavyly.

As I sat in my chair and watched Hawk and Whiskey walk out the door, I knew my temper was about to get the best of me, there was a time I would have just shot both of them and rode off. I had too much invested in this town to do that and when they lit in to me, I saw Mathis nod at me and I knew this would have to wait to another time. I got up and walked to the door and watched them ride down to the Mayor’s place.

One of the men in the crowd spoke up” What’s going on, Sheriff?”

I looked at him and the rest of the crowd. ”Nothing that concerns any of you, now go about your business. “

“Well Sheriff, that sounded...”

“All that was going on was I was trying to make sure you live in nice quiet town, and that there was not going to be any more trouble around here like last night. Now move along.”

The crowd started to break up and I walked back in the office and shut door. I sat down in my chair and both my men were looking at me.

Svede spoke up first;“You did real good Maddog, closest I seen you to losing your temper in a long time. I was thinking you were just kill them and then we would have to move on”

“Don’t call me Maddog; there is still a crowd outside. Do either of you know who he was, he thought he knew me but since he did not call me Maddog, I know he has me mixed up with that traitor and coward we hung, J.D. McCory, you all remember him. He was playing both sides and we collected a good bounty on him. We hunted a lot of men back then and I think I would have remembered him if we had caught up to him. Of course, it was so much easier to bring men in dead, and we had a lot less problems then. Now we have to do it mostly legal so not too many people ask questions.

Mathis spoke up: “I heard of a Halfbreed that went by Hawk or Silverhawk or a couple other names but it always had Hawk in it. He was part of Quantrill’s men and he just disappeared before we caught up with them. McCory had been feeding them information, and you remember how much he looked like you, so I sure that is why he thinks you are him and not everybody knew you killed him.”

“Maybe I should have kept him around and I could have blamed so more stuff on him, but he was too much trouble to keep around as he would sell his mother for a wooden nickel. Anyhow, the mayor has really screwed stuff up this time, and I think it is time to send that carpet bagger packing. I told him that if he wanted to try and shut her down, do it quietly and not to make a mess. I needed him for a front man when we first cleaned up this place, but he has outlived his usefulness and has forgotten who really owns everything around here. I am not going to have him screw this up.”

Svede looked at me” Well, are you just going to kill him, I know that is how you usually do things and wouldn’t it be hard to explain?”

“You’re right, Svede, it would be the easy thing to do but I got a better idea. I going to explain to him that he has to go back east and if I ever find him or that idiot kid of his west of the Ohio River or south of the Mason Dixon Line, I will kill both of them as I will have a dead or alive poster printed up on them. That's using the law to make things easy for us and it’s legal. After I eat, I going to tell him to be gone on the 3:00pm stage with his kid and to tell the town council about the letter he received today. During that meeting, they will appoint me acting Mayor until we have an election. Of course, I will make sure that does not happen any time soon and since there only 5 members and we are three of them that will end that problem. Which of you can watch the jail until I get back?”

Svede spoke up “I need to open my store; I will have a line waiting now.”

Mathis said “I will stay, I have some guns to fix at my shop, but it can wait. Just don’t be gone too long.”

“Ok, Mathis, While you are here, go thru the posters in the bottom drawer of my desk. I just got in some new ones yesterday and I have not looked them over yet. See if any of them have the name Hawk or a Halfbreed Indian listed on them. If you find anything, just leave it on my desk. When the drunks in the cells sober up, charge them 10 dollars each and throw them out. If I am not back, just lock up and I will see you at your shop later.”

“Ok, Maddog, er... I mean Sheriff, I will see you later.”

I walked over Chocolate Chip Rich’s Bakery and sat down at table in the corner. I could smell the cookies baking in the back. Rich walked up to me smiling as always:

“Howdy Sheriff, How are you this morning?”

“Rich, I have had better mornings than this one”

“What was all that noise I heard in the street?”

“Don’t worry about it, just bring me some breakfast”

“ok, you want your usual, fried eggs, ham, and biscuits?”

“That will be fine, bring some coffee and do I smell cookies?”

“You sure do, I will bring you a plate of them right out.”

“Don’t forget my tall glass of cold milk to go with them.”

“Sure thing Sheriff”

After ate, I felt much better, Rich sure could make good cookies. I walk down the Mayor’s house and banged on the door. “Open up, Wilber!”

The door opened and Wilber looked right at me” You will address me as Mayor, have you forgot who runs this town?”

I pushed him in the house and shut the door. “No, I know runs this town and you are the one who has forgot his place. Listen to me you stupid carpetbagger, I brought you here because I needed somebody to play politician. Well, you did it this time. I told you if you wanted to push that lady out since it was cutting in to the profits, you could but don’t do anything stupid. Between you and that boy of yours, I am about to have a real mess on my hands. You are done in this town.”

“You can’t do that to me, I am the Mayor and I will tell everybody who you really are, Mad..”

I grabbed him by the throat. “Shut your mouth or I will kill you. You know I will. You ever tell anybody who I am, I will hunt you down and kill you real slow. Think about, I know what I have done to those that have crossed me.”

I threw him in to a chair and waited for his reply. He did not say anything, he just had a scared look on his face and I knew he was remembering. I continued;

”This is what you are going to tell everybody. You received a letter in the mail and have to go back east to help your family. Here is a $1000.00, that’s more that your normal cut for my saloon. You are going to tell everybody you sold out to me today and you and your boy will be on the 3:00pm stage. If I ever find either of you south of the Mason Dixon Line or west of the Ohio River, I will kill both of you.”

I heard a noise behind me and spun around. Brain was coming down the stars and was wearing a gun. I looked at Brain “I told you before not to wear a gun in this town, you will just get yourself killed”

“What’s wrong Pa? What is he doing in here?”

“He told me that we have to leave town today on the stage and never come back”

“He can’t do that!” Brain reached for his gun.

I drew and shot him in his shoulder before he even had a good grip on his gun. He fell backwards and started to cry out from the pain. I hit over the head with the barrel of my Colt and he passed out.

I turned and Wilber was headed for his shotgun. I called out;

”Do you want to die today!”

Wilber stopped and turned around. He was shaking as he knew I would do it.

“No, I don’t, I will leave.”

I took Brain’s gun and holster and walked over and picked up the shotgun.

“Patch him up and if anybody asks, he was cleaning his revolver and it went off. I will be with the town council at 2:30 to see you off on the stage. Don’t be late.”

“Yes, Sheriff”

At 2:30 the Mayor showed up and gave a farewell address to the town and boarded the stage. His boy never even looked up, just quietly got on the stage and left. The town council appointed me acting mayor and told everybody that we would have an election for a new Mayor as soon as it could be organized.

I made my first speech and told everybody just to refer to me as Sheriff and if there was a problem, just let me know as always. After the crowd broke up, Mathis and Svede met me in my office.

Mathis shut the door and bolted it. He said:

“Well, that went well, how is it Brain did not make a big deal out of this, he was always running his mouth and did not say a word”

“That might have something to do with me shooting him in the shoulder and pistol-whipping him. I am sure his old man told him he got off easy.”

“Ok, What are you going to do about the woman and the Indian, I found a poster in the new ones that sounds like it would be on him, you will have to look it over.”

“Good, that will help when I confront her. I will tell her that her friend is wanted and it should slow her down a bit. Did they come back in to town?”

Svede and Mathis looked at each other. Svede spoke up:

“No, we have not seen them, what are you going to do?”

“Well since it is Saturday, I am going down to her saloon and tell at the end of business today, all saloons in town are closed until futher notice. Whoever Wilber had working for him, will most likely leave if they think I am closing everything down. As Mayor, I will tell her barkeeper that they are closed until they buy a business permit and she has to see me to get one. That will force her to come to me and I will tell her barkeeper if he sees her friend, he is wanted and he is to come and talk to me about it. I will tell them I am not going to lock him up; I just want to see if I can straighten it out for him. That should calm things down for now until we can restore order around here.”

“That sounds like a good plan, let us know if you need anything.”

“Ok, I will”

I walked down to my saloon. I looked up at the name, Main Street Saloon, well; I guess I will have to change that, maybe I can find a better name. I walked thru the doors, and everybody got quiet. I had forgotten that I had not been in there when it was open in a while. I walked up to the bar and Old Gold came up to me.

“Hi Sheriff, what the occasion, I have not seen you in here in a while.”

“I am closing this place down for a couple days, have Lindsey check all the books and make me a report on the inventory. I bought out the Mayor before he left town and I need to see what I got for my money. Pay everybody through Wednesday and have them meet here Wednesday morning. Make sure you board up the doors tonight and post a sign. The ladies that live here can come and go thru the back.”

“What do you want on the sign?”

“Closed by order of the Sheriff”

“Yes sir, I will have it done”

“Good, enjoy your time off and see you Wednesday Morning”

I walked down the Whiskey’s Saloon and looked up at the name. The Hanging Tree Saloon. Considering how many bodies I had carried out of there, it fit the place. I walked thru the doors and the place became dead silent and everybody was staring at me. There were two barkeepers behind the bar, one walked down to the end near me and the other walked to the other end and reached under the bar. He straightened up but I could not see his hands. I figured he had a shotgun but could not see it. I called out:

“Who is in charge around here?”

The barkeeper closest to me spoke up:

“Whiskey Business is not here. I take care of things when she is gone. What do you want, Sheriff?”

I walked over to the bar.

“I am here on official business, tell your man at the other end of the bar to put down the shotgun. What is your name and is there a quiet place we can talk?”

“My name is Bottles, we can go in the office at the end of the bar and talk. Follow me.”

He looked at the other barkeeper and nodded his head and the other barkeeper went back to serving drinks. We walked in the office and he closed the door.

“Ok, what is this all about Sheriff?”

“The town council has decided that all saloons in town have to have an operating permit and it can only be purchased by the owner of the saloon. Since your owner is gone, you are to close down at the end of business today, board up your front doors, and post a sign. The sign will state Closed by order of the Sheriff. This place will remain closed until she shows up and gets her permit.”

“What about the other saloon? The mayor is gone, who owns that saloon and do they have to get this permit?”

“Yes, they have to have a permit and until all the saloons in town will remain closed until everybody has a permit or until next Friday, all saloons that have a permit can reopen and those that don’t are to stay closed.”

“You did not tell me who owns that saloon?”

“You don’t need to know, If Whiskey wants to know, she can ask me. Permits go on sale Monday at 1:00 pm in my office and not before. You can also tell I have a wanted poster on her friend she rode out of town with this morning. Tell her he can come to my office and explain it to me and I will see what I can do to make it go away for him. It has to do with a range war from up north and I know the sheriff up there. It claims an Indian by the name of Hawk killed and scalped two of his deputies. It sounds like him, but the description is vague.”

“I will tell her, but she is not going to like this.”

“What she likes is not my problem. If you have any trouble here tonight, I will be in my office. Remember, last call is at 9:30pm, and close the

doors by 10:00pm. Have a good evening.”

I opened the door to the office and walked out of the place without looking back, when I got out the door I could hear the complaining start about the curfew and the saloons being closed. I did not care, if it quieted things down, it would be worth it. I went to the office and bolted the door. It had been a long day and I was tired. I checked my shotgun and put it on my desk. I stretched out on my bunk and fell asleep.

Next thing I knew, it was Sunday morning and I could hear the church bells. Whiskey Business did not show up that day and nobody had seen either of them come back to town and it was a quiet day.

I woke up Monday morning and went for breakfast. Nobody had seen anybody coming in to town and I got stopped and asked when the saloons would reopen. I told them that the saloon owners had to buy permits and they would be closed until further notice. At noon, I smiled when I saw several of the gamblers board the stage and leave town. I thought to myself, well if she does not come back, maybe things will go back to how it was before Whiskey showed up and I don’t have to put up with Wilber anymore. But then again, I most likely will not be that lucky.

Whiskey had gotten word on what the Sheriff was doing and decided not to fight yet........but to build a new and bigger Saloon on the edge of town. And all her costumers and professional gamblers inculding Wild Bill and Seth Bullock also helped out. Just in case, Whiskey went to the country land office and double and triple checked the bounday lines. Whiskey Had here Saloon two miles away from the the city limits.

She didn't what to rebuild or move for that matter. She wanted to fight the Sheriff over this. But I told her she couldn't take him and to bid her time, she will get her chance. I knew he was not J.D. McCory. I got a good look at him before I killed him. Still think a blue uniforn looks damn good with a splash of red on it ! I could not place where I had seen the Sheriff before, and by the clever way he was moving about the town, trying to mold it to fit his plans, I could be very sure he has done this sort of thing before.

While Whiskey was rebuilting the Hanging tree Saloon, Mary was in town and giving me infomation on the Sheriff....all his comings and goings. Then she told me about a poster with a vage description of me on it. "Dead or Alive...500.00 dollars in gold !" it read. "Well now, think I'll just pay a friend a visit in town and see what's all dis non-sense is all bout !" I needed to send some wires out that had been incoded to only me and the reciver would know what it meant. I remembered a range war I was in up North. Those so called "deputies" didn't say who they where when I killed them and besides, at that time, it was kill or be killed. A hell of a shot, I thought, hitting both of them at over 900 yards out. Never knew what hit them.

Reined up outside the livery and the young'in working there came up to me, "Howdy Mister....Ya want da same as before ?" I tossed him a five dollar gold piece and said, "Naw...feed and water him, but keep da saddle on him. And tell nobody I'm here, conprenade ?" The young'in bite down on the gold piece like always and with a smile on his face said, "Si, Mister !"

I took my saddle bags off and walked over to the assy office and poured the contents of one saddle bag on the counter.

"Good Lawd, Mister ! Ya got more ! I'll give ya 200.00 dollars fer it !" the assy man said.

I put the other saddle bag on the counter, pouring out it's contents and said, "400.00 dollars and a favor !"

The assy man looked confussed and worryed at the same time and asked, "What's the favor, Sir ?"

I smiled and said, "Walk over to the telegraf office and said " des wires to des four people...come back and let me know ifin' dey went through, conprenade ?"

The assy man shook his head yes and started to gether up his newly bought gold when I stopped him...."Wires first....gold when you come back ! Don't forgit I'm watchin ! "

He walked over to the telegraph office and sent a wire to EE Taft..Grizz..Pot bellied Ike and a feller called Big Goose. Each wire read the same. One word..."Amegios"

He returned to his office and said, "Ok Mister. Wires been sent. Just sign here and I will take my gold !"

He turned the ledger my way and I took the pen in hand. Then I remembered the poster on me in the Sheriff's office, so I just put my thumb print on that page. The assy man looked puzzled at the print. For he knew I could read and write.

"Whars da Sheriff at ? Wif all dis Saloons shut down, I figured he'd be patrolin' da streets now." I said to him.

"He had a hard night last night...looking for you and perpering something for ya ! So, if he aint out on the streets, he most likey asleep in the jail."

I tossed him a 20.00 dollar gold piece and put my finger to my lips and said, "Shhhh....not a word !"

He took it greedly and said, "I understand, Sir !"

Then I left the assy office and went to the general store. "Good day to you Sir ! How my I help you ?" the clerk asked.

"Y'all deliver ?" I asked

"With in reason." he said. "What's you're order, sir ?

"Got a big'in. 8 pounds each bacon, beans, cornmeal coffee and flour. 4 pounds each salt, surgar, molasses, and 1 pound rollin' baccer. Oh, add a jar of some ceegars in der too. " I said. I pushed my hat back and said, "I'll have 4 boxes of 44-40's and 6 boxes of 45's. " I looked up on the wall as the clerk looked at me in amazement. "Is dat da new rifle, dey came out wif ?" I asked, pointing to it .

"Yes sir !" the clerk said as he took it down. "Lever action, big bore in 45-70. Planning on going up against the Sheriff are ya ?"

"Maybe......or fer injuns !" I said, smiling at him.

"Well, I think the first, so I'll throw in a box or two of shells along with you're order. Anything else, sir?"

"Nope....but ifin' my money is good here, I'll take da rifle wif me now !" I said.

"Certainly." he said and handed the rifle down to me. " It will take a couple of days to get together. That will come to 200.00 dallors, delivered." he said.

"Sounds fair," as I pulled out two one hundred dollar bills and handed it to me. Then I place a 50.00 bill in his hand. "I was never here, Got it ?"

He smiled as his wife put her hand on his shoulder. "If you're going up agasint the sheriff, we aint never laid eyes on you" and handed the 50.00 dollars back.

I nodded and walked out and went back to livery. "Boy..." I asked.

"Yes sir ! You're horse is feed and watered and ready."

I checked the saddle over and tossed him another five dollar gold coin and said, "Be back. Ya did me a good job !"

I went right back to camp where I found Whiskey waiting for me.

"Hawk....That low down, egg sucking, (Fench Words) deputy is in my Saloon, pushing his weight around. I've made it through the War. I've had my bussiness and plation burned to the ground.....carpetbaggering Yankees moved in and took over.........I WILL NOT BE RUN OUT OF TOWN AGAIN, YOU HEAR ME ! If that Sheriff comes round and sets foot in my place, I'll blow it off along with something else !"

I frowned and checked my new brought rifle, loading it carefully. "He da one what held the scattergun on me or you ?" I asked. It really didn't matter, both had biten off more than they could chew.

" He's the bastard what held the scattergun on me !" Whiskey roared at me.

I looked her in the eye and asked, "His partner or Sheirff aint around are dey ? Think now hard....whar's da last place you saw'em ?"

"In town...In that jail...beside you.....with a scattergun aimed at him head !" Whiskey snapped. "I agreed to come out here and my custumers came too.....and you said I could barow the money to rebuilt from you, but not this ! I draw the line here !"

I jacked a round into the new rifle and said, "I'll handle it !" And went off toward the new Hanging tree Saloon.

I reined up and a gambler came flying out on his back through the batwing doors. "And stay out !" I heard some one from the inside yell out. I stepped down from my saddle, walked over to him, helping him up and said, "Come on......I'm buyin !" and walked in with him and my new rifle.

"Bottles.....I'll have a drink of Bulliet....so will my friend here." I said, laying my new rifle up agasint the bar.

"Thought I told you not to come back !" Mathis yelled.

"You'd best talk to da owner fer ya start kickin' folks out like dis." I said, watching his gun hand drift downward.

"Who are you friend ? I aint got no quarrel with you ? He said. I think he didn't know who I was.....yet.

"I be part owner of dis here fine establishment. You want to talk....den talk. I can't abide ya throwin' paying custumers out !" I said as I threw back my drink.

Mathis growled and said, "This place is where I'll do what I want to do !"

"Thought you'd say somethin' like dat !" I said. He went for his gun but I got to my new 45-70 first and shot him clean out of his boots. That's when the folks started taking things off his dead body before his was cold.

I jacked another round and alked to my horse, swung up and before I could head back to my camp, Whiskey cook, Homer came out looked at me.

"Spect dat mean ole sheriff be here fore long." he said. He didn't seemed worryed none. Guess he'd seen death one too many times.

"Spect." I answered. "When he git's here, give him a drink on my tab. Tell'em to mind his manners though. " Homer just grinned and nodded.

Got back to camp and saw Wild Bill and Seth Bullock setting in the shade, playing cards. Whiskey said, "Heard a shot Hawk...you ok ?"

"Yup...I'm ok. But yur Saloon has it's first blood stain on the new floor." I said.

"Justifiyed killing, Hawk ?" Seth asked.

"Is der any other kind ?" I said in reply.

"Then We'll stand by you !" Wild Bill said. "Just tell us when."

"Well, that will be up to Maddog......I mean Sheriff J.D. Mcory." I said with a half smile.

Whiskey said from her saddle, "Maddog...Never heard that name before ? He some kind of killer ?"

"Yup...worst kind. Kills without remose, without guilt." Seth said, looking up from his cards. "Full house. ! "

Wild Bill spoke up...."A man who would kill without remose is a man who would kill his own Ma." Shaking his head and smiling, "Bets me !"

Wild Bill threws his cards face down on the table, stands and looks me in the eye, "This move you and Whiskey made....It's on the up and up ?"

"I made Whiskey move to put more pressure on Maddog. Da bad thing is, she is now caught up in it." I said to him. Bill, chewing on a tooth pick said, "I need a drink. Going to the new Hanging Tree, you coming Seth ?"

"Hawk.....Saw a poster when I was Sheriffing in Dodge. Vage description....could be any half breed. Could that breed be you ?" Seth asked, standing." Word is that those fake Depuitys where shot from about 800 yards out."

"Well Seth, Ifin' I made that shot, it would be the best shot I ever made." I said smiling. Seth laughed, stepped up on his horse and said,

"Recon so Hawk.....See ya tomarrow. Night." and rode off toward the Saloon.

I poured myself a cup of coffee, and settled into my bedroll. I had just sent another man to meet his maker and I had to deal with that. I stared at the stars untill I drifted off.

The next morning came without rest, so I saddled my horse and rode down to what was quickly becoming a town of sorts. That got me a little edgey cause of my strike up in the hills overlooking my camp. Not only was Hanging tree Saloon, but now Vern's Frighting, Elmer's livery and the beginings of a funeral home. The undertaker looked long and hard at me. Guess he figured sooner than later, I'll be sending him some business.

I reined up and tied my horse at the hicthing post, and stepped through the batwing doors. I was meet by the smell of fresh coffee, bear bacon and eggs frying and an oven filled with biscits. I took a seat at a table with my back to the wall, and Homer brought me some coffee and a newspaper. I looked around to find no one there expect me and homer so I said "Thanks." Most folks thoght I was a trail bum, un-learned and scuffy. I wanted to kept that way of thinking.

Whiskey soon came walking in, with a smile on her face and a spring in her step. Although she didn't notice me at first, I caught myself thinking how lucky her man was to have a fine looking women who could shoot !

"Morning Hawk.........Sleep well ?" Whiskey asked me, carrying a cup of hot coffee and what was left in the Bulliet bottle. She sat herself down, poured some whiskey into my cup and hers while she waited for my ansnser.

"As well as a man could sleep, I recon. What's the news of that man I killed last night. Think he name was Mathis." I said, still eatting.

"Not Mathis........that was Svede you killed last night. J.D.'s left hand man." Whiskey said in a matter of fact tone.

"Svede den..........any news about him ?" I asked again.

"Not much. J.D. don't know about it yet or he'd be here shooting up the place." Whiskey said as she sipped her coffee.

"He's not J.D. McCory. He's Maddog ! " I said looking Whiskey in her eyes.

She gasped, "Not the Maddog ! Holy Crow Hawk.....What are we going to do !"

I pushed my plate back and side my coffee cup toward Whiskey, wanting another refill.

"His move. Just wait...but be prepaired. Place is kinda dead dis mornin'. Like to scare up a card game, but I'll just have to wait fer folks to come in." I said. lending back in my chair. I had the hammer straps off my Dragoons, just in case. I could smell trouble in the air. A fight was coming, but no way of knowing when or where.

Whiskey got up from her chair, leaving the Bulliet bottle behind and walked toward the bar when Wild Bill reached out to touch her hand. He said to Whiskey, "Don't worry you're pretty head bout Ole Hawk. He's double tuff and pitless man. Ain't got much of a soft side as I know of. And he's been known to pull a cork now and then. But he would not back down no matter the odds."

Seth spoke up and added, "Seen him ride to hell and back for a friend and not think nothing about it. No telling what he'll do for family. But Bill and me will back his play what ever it maybe. You can count on that."

I saw a really big smile come over Whiskey's face. No more moving for her. No more backing down. A line had been drawn in the desert dust by Hawk, and she would also back his play.

I walked over to the batwing doors and looked down each side of the boardwalk. I was satisfied no danger awaited me so I said, "Think I'll ride into town ....check on dem wires I sent."

Bill threw his cards down on the table and said, "DAMN ! Lady Luck aint with me today. You want some company Hawk ?"

I smiled and said, "Last time I checked it was a free country. Suit yur self."

"Riding with you will suit me just fine. I'll go to livery and saddle my horse. Met ya there." Bill said.

I nodded in aproval, sipping what was left of my coffee.

I woke up and looked at my watch. 11:00 am I had to meet the stage at noon as my new help was to be here today. I had not seen them since we grew up in Southern Illinois, but they had made it clear they welcomed the opportunity to run my saloon. I also figured Bounty and Halfbreed Lou should be here soon and I had a special job for them.

I got dressed and opened the door to the jail and looked down the street. There was a horse saddled in front of the livery and I recognized it. That horse belonged to the one she called Hawk. I figured sooner or later he would show up, but I had a plan to deal with him, but I was not ready yet. I decided I would just watch and see where he went. I saw the clerk for the assay office come out of the telegraph office and go back to his place and then Hawk came out the assay office and went in the general store. A few minutes later, he came out toting that new rifle they had got in last week and mounted his horse and rode out. I thought about it for a minute and I made up my mind that it was time to close them down, Svede ran the other general store and when this all breaks loose, that store will just be a casualty of what is to come.

I walked done to Svede’s store and he was not there. The clerk told me he had rode out a couple hours ago but did not say where he was going. I had told him to watch Whiskey's place and let me know when they opened for business, and I figured he had went out to take a look as he thought they would open today. I had told him not to interfere, just watch and stay out of sight as we would deal with them at the right time.

I walked into Mathis’s gun shop and could see he was in the back.

“Hey, Mathis. Come out here”

“Hi Sheriff, what is going on”

“Just checking on things, did Svede talk to you before he rode out this morning?”

“No he did not. But when I talked to him last night, he told me he had an idea and was going to check it out this morning”

“Most of his ideas never go well for us; I hope he does not do anything stupid. Did you hear any telegraph go out today, the one she called Hawk was in town this morning and I missed him. But I saw the clerk from the assay office come out of the telegraph office and then Hawk came out of the assay office and rode off.”

“Four messages got sent out, all the same word, Amegios; I figure it is a code. I got the names they went to but I don’t know them. I wrote them down.”

Hiding the wires and having the spare key installed in Mathis’s gun shop usually gave us an edge over most people causing trouble in town. Besides being a good gunsmith, Mathis had been a telegraph operator and had been a medic in the war. It had been his idea to hook up the key and it had been a good one.

I looked down the list; these names did not mean anything. The last name, Grizz, I had heard that name; There was an officer in the union army that had that name. Why would a bunch of confederates reach out to an old union officer?

“Mathis, do you remember a Union officer by the name of Grizz?”

“Come to think of it, I do. Last I heard, he got out of the army and got himself appointed US Marshall but I don’t know where he was stationed.”

Great. Now they were going to have a lawman that could challenge my authority. Hawk must be worried; this had to have been a call for help. I guess I will have to make things happen sooner than later.

“Mathis, how is that new gun you are building, when will it be ready?”

“Tomorrow we can fire it, it is a modified coffee mill gun, it has two barrels instead of one so it fires faster than a standard coffee mill gun, but lighter that a Gatling gun and can be set up and used by two men and moved from position to position quietly. We can test it in the morning.”

“Good. I hear the stage coming and I have some old friends on it. Come on and I will introduce them to you.”

Mathis looked at me “Since when do you have friends besides me and Svede?”

We walked over the stage and two men were getting off the stage. I walked up to them and smiled and we shook hands.

“Mathis, these two men grew up with me in Southern Illinois before the war, this is Will and James Masterson, they grew up in Wayne County by Golden Gate, and I grew up in Big Mound on the other side of Pond Creek from them. We use to see each in town and worked some of the farms in the area together.”

The first man held his hand out, “You can call me Bat, and you can call my brother Jim.”

I looked at them ”Thanks for coming, the saloon is down the street, open it up and run any way you see fit. As agreed, 40% of the profit is yours and everything 80% of the take from the tables is yours. Just deposit my share weekly in the bank. You can run the place any way you want and I will back you. It has been closed most the week and the books were balanced so you can check them. The people in there are good and they will show you anything you want. The place has been closed for the last couple of days so you should get a good crowd when you open the doors. Good luck and let me know if you need anything.”

“Ok, J. D. We will see you later tonight”

I went back the office and sat down and had some coffee. This was slowly starting to go the way I had it figured, Now if Halfbreed Lou and Bounty show up, I can send them out to stir stuff up. I had told them not to be seen coming, so most likely Lou will come in tonight and that can go out there and drink and nobody will know the difference. I know somebody was feeding them information here in town, but I had not caught them yet. Somebody outside started yelling and there was a big commotion outside. I open the door and there was a horse running down the middle of the street with a man across the saddle just in his long-johns. It stopped in from of Svede’s store. I ran down and checked the body. It was Svede and he had been shot with a heavy caliber rifle like the one I saw Hawk ride out of town with.

One of the men in the crowd spoke up ”What do you think happened, Sheriff?”

“Looks like he was bushwhacked; Somebody must have have robbed him and took his clothes. Take him down to the undertaker and somebody take the horse down to the livery. You, close the store and get Lindsey to balance the books. Have her let me know when she is done."

The Clerk looked at me “Yes, sir”

“What are you going to do, Sheriff?”

“I will find out who did this, don’t worry, I will make sure this taken care of and everybody will be safe here in town. Now break it up, there is nothing more to see here.”

Mathis was standing outside his shop shaking his head. I looked at him;

“I know what you are thinking; we deal with this in the morning. Have that gun ready, I know where we are going to test it and this problem will be solved. Be ready at first light.”

That evening, as I was making my rounds, I thought I saw somebody following me. I stopped in from of my saloon to adjust my spurs, and somebody stepped back in the alley so I would not see them. I walked in to the saloon and went out the back. I could see him at the front of the alley watching to see if I came out. I sneaked up behind them and hit them over the head with the barrel of my Colt. I got a good look him and it was a young girl. Figures, no wonder I had not noticed her before and she was dressed a boy. I picked her up and carried her back to the jail and threw her in a cell.

A few minutes later, I heard her rattling the bars. I walked back to the cell and she ran back against the wall.

“Who are you working for?” I growled.

“I am not telling you anything! Let me out of here, I did not do anything.”

“I will be the judge of that. Sooner or later, you will talk. If I have too, I will beat it out of you.”

“Silver Hawk will never let you do that to me!”

I smiled. She realized she had just told me what I wanted to know.

“Well, in that case, you can just stay here until he comes to get you.”

She started screaming but I shut the door and locked it to the cell area. Nobody would be able to hear her and I had his spy. I went down and knocked on Mathis’s door.

He opened the door and I walked in.

“Change of plans, tomorrow before daylight, ride out to the place where the road narrows and is surrounded by trees, Halfbreed Lou is out there now and he is placing dynamite in the trees. Set up that new gun and when Hawk comes thru kill him and everybody with him. I need to be seen in town so nobody knows I was involved. Then get back here and pack up your store and Svede’s place.

“When you get back, pick a fight with me and I will throw you out of town. Halfbreed Lou and Bounty have found us a new town to set up in and it is wide open so we can go in and take over. I will follow a bit later and meet you there.”

“Ok, Maddog. What are you going to do?”

“I am going to leave this place like we left Georgia, I have several people to burn out and they will think I died burning the place down.”

“What about the saloon?”

“Sold it to Bat a little while ago, I told him what was really going on and told him to stay out of it. I paid him to make the trip worthwhile and he is going to stay until the place dies or runs out of money. He is to send any money to Big Bill in Dallas that would go to me. I went to the bank and cleared all the accounts. Here is your traveling money. Everything is all set up. Good Luck”

Mathis met Lou in the morning and they set the new gun up behind some rocks overlooking the trees. They have a good view of everybody coming and going and had a clear shot to set off the dynamite and drop the trees on anybody they shot with the new gun. Now all they had to do was wait.

Hawk and Bill met at the livery and started down the road to town. Hawk was wondering why Maddog had not shown up yet. He had figured Maddog would show up last night gunning for him or certainly by morning. Hawk was certain by now that Maddog had to know that he killed Svede and that should have been enough for him to lose his temper. In the past, when Maddog lost his temper, he would run amuck killing everything in his sight. Maddog had been luckly when that happened, although it had almost cost him his life several times.

As they rounded the curve in the road, Hawk got that bad feeling somebody was watching them.

“Bill, keep your eyes open, I got a feeling we are being watched,”

Bill slowed up and looked around,

“I don’t see anybody, but if I was going to bushwhack somebody, I would get them coming out of those trees up ahead.”

Hawk looked ahead.

“I think your right. That would be a good place as we will not be able to see them until the last minute. When we get in the middle of the trees, I will stop and check my horse and act like his shoe is loose. Then you get down and I will sneak thru the tree line and get a good look to see what is ahead of us.”

Halfbreed Lou had spotted Hawk and Bill coming around the curve and told Mathis to stand ready to fire. He could see them looking around and talking and they had slowed down. He could tell that they could feel him watching them. They kept moving towards the trees at a bit slower pace.

“That’s right, just keep coming.” He thought to himself, “Your day is almost over.”

Hawk and Bill rode in to the trees and gone to riding in a single file. Hawk pulled up and looked around.

“Hey Bill, I think my horse has a rock in his shoe”

Mathis looked thru the sight of his new gun. He had a perfect bead on Hawk. As Hawk started to dismount, Mathis opened fire.

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, the gun was working perfectly and was firing a shot every 3 seconds. The first shots hit Hawk in his leg and shoulder at almost the same time and then his horse fell over on him pinning his foot. The next shots hit Bill in his side and his horse fell to wall of bullets. Hawk drew his Dragoon and tried to return fire but all he could see was smoke. If he had not been on the ground behind his horse, the bullets would have torn him to pieces. He looked over at Bill. Bill had his gun drawn and was waiting for the gun to stop firing. The firing stopped for a second and they both raised up and emptied their guns into the smoke. Then gun started firing again.

Hawk thought to himself ”I had this happen in the war, how could they have gotten a Gatling gun up here and nobody heard or seen them.” Bill was reloading and looked at Hawk. Hawk shook his head, and motioned for him not to shoot and play dead. He knew when the gun stopped firing and the smoke cleared, they would have a chance to shoot if they could see the men firing at them.

Mathis stopped firing and looked at Lou.

“They are not shooting back this time, you think we got them?”

“I think so, blow the dynamite and let’s get out of here.”

Hawk slowly raised up and the smoke was clearing, he could almost see them through the smoke. He thought “I got you now” Then the trees exploded and fell on top of him and Bill. Hawk felt sharp pain in the back of his head and then everything went black.

Mathis poured the last of his water on the gun to cool it and then wrapped a blanket around it. They then threw the gun on Mathis’s horse and both saddled up. Lou looked at Mathis,

“Get out of here, I will cover your tracks and then ride off away from town with a set they can follow. I will double back and meet you at dark.”

Mathis smiled and they both rode off in different directions.

The day came and went without word from Mary, so I figured Maddog had her. Locked in his jail , no doubt. But I wasn't worryed too much. Any girl who could live out in the wilderness for as long as she has could not let four walls hold her.

I could see a dust cloud in the east. I knew Maddog was not going to make his move just yet, so I figured I'd just wait and see who was riding this way. Then I saw another dust cloud coming from the north. It did not take me long to figure it was Big Goose. Now I don't know how he got his name, but he is a mountain man........a mountian man out here in the middle of the desert ! And he was one hell of a long range shot with that 45-110 Sharps he carrys.

He riened up in front of me. "Greets Hawk.....my old friend ! Buy a tried travler a drink ? Need to loosen up this trail dust in my throat !" he asked me. I smiled, standing to shake his hand, "I shorely will ! Big Goose, met Whiskey Business.....She's owns da Hanging Tree Saloon. She' been through think and thin wif me fer, well, since da damn war ended."

I shouted into the bar, "Bottles....give Big Goose and his friends da best in da house !" Whiskey looked at me, and I motioned coming in from the east. "Howdy EE and Grizz......Y'all be a sight fer sore eyes !"

"How Do Hawk......Guess we look kinda like we been rode hard and put up wet !" EE said with a big smile on his face.

"Speah for you're self EE ! I done took my spring bath ! Grizz said as he and EE dismounted.

I was laughing out loud and asked, "Whars ole Pot Bellyed Ike ? Ain't seen him yet ." Thanks when I heard laughter coming from the alleyway.

"Cause ya aint been lookin Hawk !" Pot Belly said, stepping out into the open. "How's my ole friend been ?"

"Well, at least I'm still castin' a shadow. Come on in, cut da trail dust in ya mouth and we'll jaw a spell."

He looked over and saw Whiskey standing there. "Ohhh...And who is this wild flower in the desert ?"

Whiskey lowerd her hand toward her Peacemaker and said, "Name's Whiskey Business and I own this Saloon. You touch me and I'll blow you're head off ! I anit one of them soiled doves that work in my place !"

"Never thought anything like that, Young Lady ! If you where offended, I'm very sorry !" Ike said. He knew as well as the rest that anybody that was my friend was a good friend for life.

"Come on folks, let's sit down with a bottle of Bulliet and shoot the bull....tell some tall tales about our trail days and din we'll git down to the reason I sent fer y'all." I said as I pushed open the batwing doors.

We laughed and talked untill the Hanging Tree Saloon locked it's doors for cleaning and in two hours opened again. Four bottles of Bulliet later, I got to the point.

"Folks, da reason why I sent fer y'all is Maddone is still alive !" I said.

"What the hell......How ?" EE asked. "I saw him get blow up by a direct cannon shot !" rubbing his head.

"Don't know, He's Marshal in the town over yonder. Know he's as mean as a snake and twice as deadly. Bout the fast draw I've seen. He and his men run that town and now they aim to run Whiskey out of the terriroty. And I aim to stop'em....but I need help." I said.

Big Goose spoke up....."Thought I'd never live to see the day when the GhostRider of the South would ask for my help ! She's most be special to ya, Hawk." he said looking at Whiskey, who buy now as all ears.

"She's family, Goose. Y'all said ifin' der was anythin' we need, we could call on one nother. So I'm callin' now !" I said.

Big Goose got alittle uppity and replyed ,"Didn't need to be reminded Hawk ! You got something that needs fixing, we'll all lend a held. You said "they". Any idea how many ?"

I sighed and said, "Der was atleast tree, but I kilt one da other day, so I know of two more. Now knowing Maddog, he'll be sendin fer renforcements by now. Don't know ifin' dey got into town yet."

Grizz piped in, after threwing a whiskey back. "What you what us to do, Hawk ?"

"What yur good it Grizz. Oh, Wild Bill and Seth Bullock will be joinin' us too ! Bill, Seth, come on an join us !"

We drink and smoked ceegars till sun raise, then had two pots of coffee. "I helped Whiskey rebuild here cuz Maddog was tryin' to shut her down...." I said.

"And that somebitch will burn me out too....just like in Jawja ! I'll die before I run again !" Whiskey said, her dander clearly up.

"The Sheirff tryed to lock us up, had his two deputies get the drop on us, but Hawk was right off, if they dropped those hammers on us they would hit Maddog. Called they're bluff he did !"

"Hawk" Bill said. "You said something about a wild girl you had in town as a spy ? You heard anything back from her ?"

I said, "Naw....and it's a good bet Maddog has her lock up in dat jail of his. What's yur plan Bill ?"

"Ride into town and get her back, of course ! Rest first, then ride in !"

I nodded saying "Sound wisdom. Grizz, pick out a good spot whar to cover anythin comin' dis way. Goose find da highest point around and be ready. EE....set right out front here. Ifin' trouble comes, you'll speak first wif dem 45's ! "

Me and Wild Bill walked toward livery, Bill checking his 36's. "Recon we'll make it back alive Hawk ?"

I said, checking my Dragoons, "We'll see Bill !"

As me and Bill rode toward town, Bill asked me , "How long have ya known Whiskey, Hawk ?"

"Ha....seems like a very long time........before da war. She's saved my bacon a few times an me fer her. She's family so ifin yur got any romantic stirins' , don't let me stand in da way !" I smiled up at Bill as we rode along.

Bill smiled back but did not say a word. I did not give him a chance to.

"We're bein' watched Bill !" I said as I stepped down from my saddle. "Der...in dem trees......eyes on us !"

Bill stepped down too, leading his horse over to me. He adjusted his colts in his sash and his hat and said, "You're call Hawk."

"We'll ride on...I'll make out like my horse picked up a stone and we'll stop to remove it. As we check'em, I slip out to da tree line. Make no mistake Bill ....we are bein' watched."

Bill nodded and we did as planed, that's when all hell broke loose ! BANG, BANG,BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG.......the sound of gun fire rang out. I was hit once in my leg, two in my side and one through and through the arm. My horse was shot out from under me, pinning me down. Bill was hit too, but I could'nt see how bad.

BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, the gun was firing again. If it wasn't for my horse, I would have been cut into ! I signaled to Bill to hold his fire till the smoke cleared so we could get a shoot off. That's when I heard the explostion filling a sharp pain in the back of my head and all went black.

Seth was worryed and called out to Grizz, "Let's saddle up....I got me a bad feeling bout this."

Grizz was up on his feet in a heart beat and both Grizz and Seth was riding hard toward town.

Mean while, I was in a dark place, cold and lonely and painfull. I could hear voices, women's voices chatting away. Things where getting clearer and clearer and there was a sharp pain again and the voices where gone away.

"Seth...over here ! Grizz shouted. "Hawk.....HAWK ! Bill are you alright ?"

"No....I'm hit and got my horse on my leg. Think it's broke ! Take care of Hawk !" Bill shouted pointing to me.

About this time EE showed up with a wagon and he said, "Though y'all might need this.........Oh crap !" he said when he saw what had happened. " Who bushwached 'em Grizz ?"

Grizz said, "Don't know ! Help me get'em back to the Hanging Tree Saloon. And go get Goose. He know some medicine !"

I heard the voices again, and was standing on the banks of a river that ran red as blood. I could hear the old women chatting again in a language I did not know. I was wanting to cross that river but didn't want blood on my feet. But I had blood on my hands. Again a sharp pain and all went black.

Grizz was lead, EE and the wagon with our bullet riddled almost lileless bodies in saide and Seth bring up the rear, his 73 in his hand, ever looking. EE pulled up in front of the Hanging Tree Saloon, set the brake and jumped on another horse and went to get Big Goose.

"What the He.......HAWK !" screamed Whiskey and she came running and as if it had a step was up in the wagon. "Bill, what happened ?" she demanded to know.

"Got jumped..don't know by who...got me a good idea !" Bill grunted as he was helped down from the wagon. Seth rode back out to the site to gether up our saddles and guns and such. Sure didn't want who bushwacked us to have more fire power !

I heard the old women chatting again, but this time, even if I could not understand , it was soothing. I still had blood on my hands, but know it was everywhere on my body. I was looking down on my shot up body, thinking that no one made it though such as I went though.

"Get'em inside....Quick....putt'em on the pool tables, I'll get bandges !" Whiskey said.

Bill managed to speak...."Tend to Hawk first.....He's hit good.!"

Big Goose and EE back into the Hanging Tree Saloon, and Goose was froze in his tracks. "My Lord...this aint good !" and set to work. He took care of me, digging out the slugs that had torn my body.He turned then to Wild Bill, doing the same. Then Goose turned back to me setting my broken bones, and then back to Bill. He sewed us up wth great skill he had learned in the war. He pulled the group together and said, "I did my best.....It's up to God and his Angels now."

I was still at the river, still covered in blood and looking down at my body and floating somewhere....going somewhere. I heard a voice...a man's voice...the kind of voice you don't dare disobey. This voice was speaking to me in Apache saying, "How come you are here Hawk ? Many have you killed, much blood is on you're hands.....why are you here Hawk ?"

But I could not answer. I could not speak. All I remember is I was thristy...so thristy it was painful.....too painful.

After Goose had finished his doctoring, Bill and me where moved of the pool tables and to the rooms up stairs. Whiskey quickly had closed her Saloon and later had posted a sign that read: "Closed ...due to shootin !"

I was between heaven and hell and Mother Earth. There was a large crowd of people gethered round to hear my answer when the crowd parted and a proud Warrior Chief stepped through. He was glowing, so I could not see his face. When he spoke to me, it was a voice I would not dare disobey or lie.

"Why have you come here, Hawk....Son of Yellowhand and white women."

I was shaking all over, both from fear as well as cold. "Proud Warroir Chief,..It is my time to cross over, but I see no way of crossing. This river is much too deep to ford. Am I banished to wander the four winds forever, Great One ?" I asked.

Big Goose said to all there, "As far as Hawk goes, it's gonna be touch and go for a while. Wild Bill will make it, but he's gonna hurt when the weather changes and he'll be scared up pretty good. "

As they layed me down on the pallet, Whiskey knelt down and cradulled my hand, wiping away the sweat from my forehead. She said in a worryed low tone...."Hawk,...Don't you dare leave ! I can lose two men ! What ever God you pray to, I hope he sees this and has pity on us both !"

"You're hands are red with blood, Hawk. You have hated and are hated. I have sent you a women and child but you did not care for them as you should have. Why should I let you cross over ?" the powerful voice asked me .

I paced up and down the river bank....looking for food or a place to cross over, but found nether. I just sit down on the moss covered ground , close my eyes and waited.

Grizz came in to relive Whiskey. "Hey Gal, ya gotta ate something. It's been four days and nights now. I'll watch over Hawk and if he stirs at all, I'll come for you, I promise !" Whiskey didn't want to leave, but she realized the wisdom in Grizz's words.

Grizz looked down at me with a worred look on his face and placed a hand on my chest to see if I was still breathing. "Hawk..." he wishpered,..." You aint leaving just yet ! We still got things to do, places to see, and outlaws to hunt down ! Come on back and help me out. I need you're tracking skills ole Pard. "

"Great One....You did not answer me ! Am I banished to the Four winds forever ! ?" I screamed out !

'Hawk....Son of Yellowhand......I have answered you're question by not answering you're question !" the Great One answered to me. I felt lost and alone in the world of the not yet dead and the not yet living.

"Whiskey....Hawk cryed out !" Grizz shouted. It was the first time since being shot that I made a sound. Whiskey came running into the room, puishing Grizz aside. She cryed out, "Hawk, come back to us please !"

It was at least three weeks before I had come around......three weeks of searching between the land of the not yet living and not yet dead.

Mary was at my side all the time. Maddog thought his jail could hold her, but any child living out in the desert that could servive as along as she had, could not be held inside long. She had learned by watching the cocyote and the fox.

I stired, and Mary shouted, "He's awake...He's awake !" Whiskey came running into the room and said smiling, "Welcome back !" She gave me a dipper of water and it tasted cool and fresh as it went down. I looked around and EE was in the room too. "Good to see I'm not going to have to go to yoou're funaeral, Hawk." He said as he towered over the pallet where I was lying. Grizz came in, charging like a bull, and put his bear like hand on my shoulder saying, "Told ya he was too damn orniery to die !" I saw Bill standing on a crutch just outside the doorway, nodding to me, smiling. And Seth, rifle in hand, was guarding the room...no onehe didn't know came in without his ok.

And then, Big Goose came into my room. I was asleep at the time and he must have thought I wasdead because when I woke, Goose was on his knees by my pallet, head was bowed and a tear rolling down his cheek. And I thught I heard him say, "No greater love has a man who would lay down his life for his friends, Lord." I said to that, "Amen !" and Big Goose looked down at me, his burly face beaming as he said, "Look forward to our hunts together Hawk. Got to get back to my post now." I asked him, "Been movin' yur post daily...seen anything?" Goose shook his head and said, "Let me worry about that, you just get better!"

I smiled and drifted back to sleep. It was this way for a few days. First, I was feed by Mary and others, then by my self. Then I had to learn how to walk around again. At first, it was baby steps. Then around the pallet, then all the way around the room. Before any one knew it, I saw sitting at the table among the others eatting. Then I went to work on my gun handling, which was the hardest thing of all. I had Mary get me a stick and a piece of twine. I tied the twine to the stick and the other to a rock and worked it up and down in my hands. "Hawk, what happens when that rock gets to light ? What then ?" Mary asked. "Din, I'll git a bigger rock !" I told her.

All the while I kepted wondering, "How's Maddog ....What's he up to now ?"

I was sitting in Cookie’s place eating breakfast when we all heard a loud boom and the building shook for minute and quit.

A man came running in to the diner and yelled:

“Sheriff, there was explosion. It sound like it came from the saloon outside of town. What are you going to do?”

“Nothing, they moved out there and I told them I would not be able to help them, they would be on their own. They would not listen to reason”

I went back to eating know that Mathis and Lou may have finished the job on Hawk and I would not have to worry about him anymore. All I had to do was wait for them to report as I was in town and could not be blamed for the job. About an hour later, I went over to Mathis’s gun shop and saw him in the back cleaning his new gun.

“So, how did it go?” I asked.

“The gun worked perfectly, we mowed them down and blew them up. You should not have to worry about them again. We got the one called Wild Bill and the Indian called Hawk”

“Did you check the bodies before you blew them up?”

“No, we did not get the chance to check the bodies. We blew them up and then we saw riders coming for the saloon and had to get out of there.”

“Dam it, I told you to make sure you killed him. I want you to send a wire to William S. Hart and his gang and tell them to get here by the end of the week. I want you to pack everything up and the general store and get out. Take Old Gold and Lindsey with you. Have Lou show you where to go and tell him to go find out if you got the job done. I want you gone by 3pm.”

“Now wait a minute, we did what you said to do. We…”

“Shut up and follow my orders. If we had not been together for such a long time, I would lose my temper and that would only go bad for you and you know it. Just get things setup and I will be along when I know we will not have any trouble out of them or they are all dead.”

Mathis shook his head, “Fine, I will do it this time. But if you keep pushing, you are going to find yourself alone and I will not be there to bail you. Lou is not going to like it”

“Well, Lou does not like half the stuff I say anyhow, I walked over and shook Mathis’s hand. “Sooner or later, we will find a place and nobody will ever mess with us again and we can grow old chasing women and getting drunk all day. We will have it all. I thought we would get it done here and we are close, one more town and we will disappear and live the good life. Before I leave here, they will get what they deserve here just like Georgia. I am going to enjoy doing this to them”

“I know you will. Sometimes I think you like the killing too much. I will be packed and gone by 3pm. Good Luck and I will see you when you are done here. We will be ready and waiting for you.”

I walked back the jail and the girl was in the back screaming again. I walked back and told her to shut up and threw a bucket of water on her to shut her up. I sat down in my chair and took a nap. About two hours later I woke up there was a man banging the jail door.

“What do you want?” I picked up my shotgun and opened the door.

An old man was standing there and looked like somebody had beat him up good.

“Sheriff, that girl back there is my property and I want her back. I traded her family a mule for her and she was to work for me to pay for the mule. She did this to me and I want her to finish paying me back.”

“What’s your name?”

“Seris, I can prove she belongs to me. Just let me see her and she will tell you.”

“I don’t care if she belongs to you or not. Give me $100.00 to pay her fine and you can have her”

“$100!!!, I told you she belongs to me!”

I pointed my shotgun at him. “You want her, that’s the price. You should not have let her get away and I can get that for her next week when some men I know are coming thru. So what’s it going to be?”

“Ok, I will pay you, let me see her.”

We walked to the cells and she started screaming,

“You can’t make me go with him, I wouldn’t go, the Ghost Rider will stop you.”

“The Ghost Rider is dead, and if I ever see you again, you will be too. Now shut up and get out here”

She started kicking and tried to jump on me, so I hit her with the butt of my shotgun and knocked her out. I then locked a set of leg irons and handcuffs on her and carried her out and threw her in the back of the old man’s wagon. I looked at the old man and handed him the keys.

“If I ever see her again and she causes me trouble, I will kill both of you. Now get out of here.”

As he drove off, I saw Mathis and Old Gold driving off in a pair of wagons going northwest. I walked down to the saloon and the place was crowded. I walked up to Bat and asked why it was so busy? He replied the other saloon was closed and locked down with guards everywhere. He told me there was a sign post closed due to shooting. I told him to enjoy the business and let me know if he needed anything.

That night Lou showed up and told him to go out there and keep an eye on the place until he could tell me if Hawk was dead. I told him at the end of the week, help would be here and he could leave then. After some words, he agreed and left. At the end of the week, Lou came in to town and told me Wild Bill was still alive and was in bad shape but would recover in time. Hawk was near death from what he could find out and he may not live. He told me they had 4 or 5 guards, and one was set up with a Sharps rifle to take out anybody that got too close. I asked how good the information was and he told me the man he got it from told him just before he lost his hair. I told him to go and meet Mathis and get setup in the new town and I would get ready to finish the work here. I had to do was wait and get ready.

I was getting better and better each day, specially with Whiskey's good cooking. Grizz had went back to his ranch in Colorado Territory when he learned I was gonna be ok. He had a few hundred head of stock to tend to. I wanted to thank him before he lite out, but never got the chance. I intended to recidfy that problem.

EE had left too and he had pressing bussiness in MIssouri too. Something bout a little town long the river. And Big Goose, Wild Bill and Seth where still here, but I heard Bill and Seth where looking toward a town called Deadwood. Said there where rich pickings to be had there. Big Goose and Whiskey was all that was left. And I was glad to have them.

I kept getting stronger and learned to how walk and shoot again. But this time, I learned to shoot from both hands. I would be winding up and lowering the rock on a peice of string. Ole Vern smiled each time I would asked for a bigger rock and he would always big in the biggest one the string could hold.

And I was practicing on my fast draw and my accuratcey all the time. I was getting good too, if I do say so myself ! But the thing that amused me most was my sight. It was greatly improved ! Don't know what happened, but something did that made my eyesight much greater than before. Sharper, keener and clearer. This I really liked.

I geathered Whiskey, Goose around me and told them, over supper one night, about my find. They could not beleive it, so come sun up, I took them up to the site. With Maddog running the town, I knew better than to file a clam. "Der's more den nuff money fer you all." I said as I spread my arms out to the inside cave that held the ore.

Big Goose poped up and said, "Don't need no more money than to live on. I hunt and fish for my food. 25 cents for a little flour and grease and I'll be fine." I looked at him and he knew what I had in mind and nodded his head in a proval.

I looked over at Whiskey and said, "You alway know whar my clam is Whiskey Darlin.......As fer as my share in dis fine Saloon......." I said waving my hand about, "You can put da money in dis account and I'll be drawing on it every now and again."

"WHAT ? ! " Whiskey said, her hands on her hips and her face beet red. "After nursing you back from the dead, you get better and just up and leave without so much as a Thank ya ! ?"

"I was bout to ask ya ifin' you wanted to ride wif me ?" I asked her, leaning up against my saddle horn.

Whiskey turned even redder and said, "Now that's more like it !"

As I walked past them, Big Goose put out his arm and whisperd to Whiskey. "Never seen him like this before. He's got the blood lust in his eyes. It's not a man hunt he's on, it's a reconing he wants !"

A week went by and my help had still not showed up. The saloon had stayed busy and due to Whiskey’s place being closed and the talk around town was nobody knew if it would ever open again. Those that had gone out there we turned away with the promise that they would hear when they opened back up. The other talk was they had seen Wild Bill getting around, but no sign of Hawk and they still had guards posted around the clock. I figured they were just waiting for me to move against them, so I decided I would just make them wait as I had plenty of time. I got a coded message that Mathis had reached the new town and was getting things set up and would be ready in about a month for me to show up and take over. I decided if my help did not show up by the end of the week, I would sneak out to Whiskey’s place at night and set some charges and then set the town on fire and make my way out of town before anything when off. I figured Sunday night would be the best time to hit them.

Saturday afternoon, I was getting everything ready and there was a loud commotion in the street and then I heard shooting. I ran out with my shotgun and the shopkeeper that had sold Hawk the rifle was laying dead in the middle of the street and William S. Hart was standing over him.

“What Happened?” I demanded.

“He cheated me and I gave him a fair chance. I told him to give us our money back and he tried to shoot me.”

The townspeople looked at each other and then Big Knife Jim spoke up.

“We all saw it; it was just as he said”

I looked around; everybody looked half scared to death of William S. Hart and Big Knife Jim.

“Well, if nobody else has anything to say, then this matter is closed. Somebody get the undertaker, and clean this mess up. You two men, come over to the jail, I want to talk to you.”

We walked over to the jail and I shut the door. I sat down in my chair.

“It’s about time you showed up. I was going to pull out tomorrow if you had not got here.”

“We got tied up with a posse chasing us. Took us two weeks but they will never chase anybody again and nobody will ever find them.” William S. Hart said.

“How many men did you bring?”

“I have 5 men camped half a day’s ride from here. I can send Jim for them whenever we need them.”

“Ok, have you got a good scout? I need the saloon outside town watched and he needs to report back to us if he sees a Halfbreed Indian there. He was shot up real good and I need to know if he died. “

“I have a good man, I will have him watch and report back.”

“Ok, well send two men back. I need to make them deputies. As soon as we find out about the Indian, I will let you know what I have planned. Drift back into town on Wednesday and don’t stir up and trouble and bring all the rest of your men. Right now I was Big Knife Jim to stay in town and hang out in the saloon and let me know what you hear. When your two men get here, have the check in to the hotel and Jim can tell me who they are.”

“What about the money? I want half now and then I want some each week.”

“You will get your money when I say so and not before. If you have a problem with that, maybe you would like to try your luck with me.”

I stood up and looked at William S. Hart and set my hand on my shotgun. He was thinking about what I had said and this was not the first time we were on the verge of killing each other.

Big Knife Jim stepped between us.

“Maddog, William, settle down. We can wait for the money as long as it is not too long.”

William looked at Big Knife Jim and then me. “Ok, but I will not wait very long”

“Fine, then be back on Wednesday and you will get part of the money then. As soon as your man knows something, get word to me. I will fill you on the plan when you get back. One more thing, everybody knows me as J.D. McCoy, so don’t call me Maddog in from of anybody. Make sure and tell your men that."

William S. Hart looked at me. “Ok, Maddog. I will be back with my men. This had better be a good setup or we will finish what was started long ago between us.”

“Anytime you think you are ready, we can do that. For now, just do what I ask and you will get your money.”

Big Knife Jim and William S. Hart stood up and walked out. I knew they would follow instructions as long as they got paid. I thought to myself, maybe when this is over, I will just kill William S. Hart so I don’t have to pay him. The fight he started years ago was his fault, but he will never admit I was right and he was wrong. Well, I will figure that out later. I have plans to make to finish off that woman and the rest of them.

I went out to the corral, looking out over the land, thinking what this land had looked like long before the white man had set foot here. I was lost in deep thought....my mind following an un-marked trail, when I realized that Maddog was not done yet. He wanted to burn Whiskey's place down, and kill her and me if he got the chance.

I walked into the livery, and found a large wooden box. "Son," I called to the owners boy,"Take dis box into da Saloon fer me. Careful now, she's a mite heavy. Don't drop it or look inside, ya hear ?" He noddded and scooped up the box and headed to the Saloon. I hobbled along and then realizing again that this would see the end of me, I dropped my cane and walked briskley behind the boy.

When we got to the Saloon, I held the batwing doors open and pointed to a table where Whiskey was sitting. "Put'er right there son. " I said. He did so and left without a word. "Lawdy, Hawk.........Good to see you up and about. And with no cane too boot ! " Whiskey said to me, but I didn't respond to here greeting. Normally I would have, but I had more pressing thoughts to deal with.

I opened the nailed shut lid and started taking contents out, laying them on the table and the table beside it. A Sharp's big Bore 45-110 buffalo rifle,...a Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70, both with more than enough ammo. A mule eared double barrel shoutgun in 12 gague, a lever action 12 gague shotgun with at least 500 rounds each. 1860 Henry is 44-40 with 1000 rounds, 1866 Henry in 45LC with 100 rounds, 2 belley guns in 36 cal, 2 derringers in 45 cal. Plus my colt dragoons.

"Lawd, have mercy !" Whiskey gasped and looked up at me. "What are you planing on Hawk ?"

"I plan on killin' dat dog dat shot me down." I said without missing a beat.

I reached into the box again and took out a hickory bow, with a quiver of 24 arrows. I drew the bow back, and the seinew moaned with the tention. I then took out my throwing hawk, running my thumb along the edge to test it's sharpness. "Needs work !" I said. Then I took my fighting knife out, the one my Grand Father had given me. I checked it for sharpness and smiled when I saw it was still holding it's edge. Next came a scalping knife made by my Great Grand Father.

"Bottles......Bring me a bottle of Bulliet here.........give Whiskey some too !" I ordered. Whiskey sat there and listened intently. It seemed to her that now, I didn't ask for anything, yet I ordered it. I had a task and I intended to carry it out. I poured Whiskey a drink and then me and threw mine back and poured another. This one I sipped and said to Whiskey, "I'm gonna need cover........Open the Hanging Tree up again...discounted drinks and 1/2 off on the girls. But keep gaurds posted inside here. You'll need protectin' and I would be able to do it."

"Whoa now Hawk ! You need to do some explaing here. Where did the arsanl box come from ? " Whiskey demanded.

I didn't look up, but kepted on reloading my weapons. "Since Appamadox Surrender. Thought I would be needin' it when push turned to shove !" I said.

She still wasn't satisfiyed, and asked me, "Who you hunting, Hawk ? "

I didn't answer and Whiskey asked me, "Why do I need protecting ? I got my Peacemakers and carbine for that !" she answered proudly.

"Da men dat maybe comin fer ya has two things in mind. Killin' you and burnin' dis Saloon to da ground. And dey are some mean hombres ! I asked Big Goose to help out , and he's agreed. " I said to Whiskey.

"Still ain't answered who you be hunting !" Whiskey shouted at me. "After all I've done for you over the years.....all the sewing you up, diggin bullets out and picking you're drunk butt off the floor and you can't tell me who you're hunting ?"

I looked up at Whiskey and said, "A Maddog.........A very Maddog !" I went back to loading my weapons, but added, "Must be sendin' some scouts to watch da place. Keep a sharp eyed peeled."

I took my 1860 Henry, colt dragoons on my hip, bow across my shoulder, fighting knife in my right boot top, scalping knife in my left. I went to the back door of the Saloon, stuffed my long braids under my hat and said to Whiskey,.....Pretend I've passed on, had the burail and such. I want Maddog to think I died from my wounds."

"This Maddog person you speak of, who is he ? What is he ?" Whiskey asked me. I was irked by that question, but when I saw Whiskey did not know, I explained it to her. "He's the meanest, pityless man I've meet. Cut ya down without thinkin' bout it. And bout the fastest gun I've seen !"

Whiskey looked me in the eye and asked, "Can you take him, Hawk ?"

I met her gaze and answered, "Hope it don't come to that....yet."

I reached out and stroked her soft face and then walked out the door, into the darkness. Whiskey rubbed her face without thinking about it and thought, "This aint like Hawk. Some how or nother, Hawk's changed. Kind when kindness is needed, but double tuff as nails when called for. I think his lighter side died on that pallet !"

I went out into the darkness, and suprisingly, I could see much better than before. I worked my way back to my camp to start there. Other than the desert animals passing through looking for food, nothing seened touched. As I left the area, I picked up some boot prints on the rock leading off into the sand.

The tracks where moving slow, checking the lay of the land as he went. The boots looked well worn so that told me this feller was not a kid, but a well seasoned man. And heavily leaden down. Maybe he was fat too. I could tell he was stopping here and there to caught his breath. I could smell him, so I knew I was not far behind.

I caught up to him about an hour later. I took my time, watching him, his movements, his ticks and such. And iching closer to him. I watched as I watched him rub his beard. I iched closer. I saw him cut a peice of plug chewing tobacco and I iched closer. I listened to him chewing his treat and grew angery when I saw him spit that fowl juice onto Mother Eath's face.

I could hear his breathing now, and as he reached for his rifle, I took my fighting knife and slit his throat from ear to ear. He struckled to get away, but I held him firm. The smell of blood filled the air, along with gurgles and glups. The smell of blood in the air was replaced by the smell of death. He knew it and struggled even harder in my grasp, as if trying to see you had killed him.

Then he went limp, his rifle dropped to the rock on which he sat. I pulled his head back alittle more, and alittle more blood spewed out. I relased my grip when I felt him grow cold and lifeless. I layed him back and put my fighting knife away and pulled out my scalping knife and set to work. I started at the hair line on the forehead, working my way back and down to the ear, then repeating the same on the other side, pulling as I went. Letting my knife follow the bone I worked my way behind each ear and down the back of the neck. To me, I just skinned an animal....maybe the same animal that had shoot me.

It was almost dawn when I returned, the smell of blood and sweat was thick on me. I came into the Saloon from the backway, taking time to hang the scalp up to dry, and change clothes after washing the blood off. I then took my cane, took of my dragoons and limped out into the Saloon. Bottles side a drink over to me and said, "That man said you needed this." and he pointed to the man in the conor. I looked over into the empty Saloon and there sat William S. Hart, a man I used to ride with along time ago.

"Knew you aint dead, Hawk ! Just too damn orney to kill !" he said as he stood and extened his hand to me, which I took.

"Thanks fer da drink, Pard. I know dis aint no social call, so what brings ya here to da Hanging Tree ?" I asked as I threw the whiskey back. Bottles, being the wise old barkeep that he was, was quick with the bottle of Buillet and left.

"Cut to the chase, don't cha Hawk ?" William said. "Maddog sent me here to kill you. He wants to burn town his town, blow up the Saloon here, throw a body inside to burn and ride off to another town." He said as he poured another round.

I heard what he said about trying to kill me, so I sipped my whiskey then. "Maddog paid me to kill you Hawk. But he don't know we where friends at one point. We rode many a year together Hawk. Killing you would be a shame !" William said.

We spent the earily morning hours talking about the good ole days and how we narrowly esacped death's icey grip. As the bottle emptyed , William poured the last whiskey into each glass and said, "Well, I think what is needed here is more money to have me watch Maddog and maybe ride off. If he don't throw down on me first !" he said with a smile on his face.

We threw our drinks back and he stood to leave and I stood too. "Maddog don't know if you're alive or not. I expect he does or he would not have sent me here to kill you." William said, still shaking my hand. "Remember what you're Paw said, Put plenty of salt on those "hides". and walked out the batwing doors.

Whiskey was at her door, peeking through, and listening. She came up to my table and said, "I would not beleive it ! You and that cut throat riding together ! Hawk...You aint the man I thought you where ! Why didn't you tell me about him ?" she demanded, with a breaking voice.

Bottles came over with a coffee pot and two cups, setting them on the table and stood there. I poured two cups of the hot brew and said, "Somethings a man aint proud to talk about. Dat's one of'em." I just hoped she would'nt see the fresh scalp in my room. If she did, there was going to hell to pay !

I sat at the table, wondering what William would do. I knew that there wasn't enough gold in the world for him to try and kill me. So did he. Now, did he want more gold just to ride off, or to stand toe to toe with Maddog. I was starting to think he just might like it if Maddog threw down on him.

And then there was Whiskey. She was bout the last trusting friend I there. Now I had upset her. "Whiskey, it was during the war when we rode together. Our orders where to gether livestock, rolling stock, money, and anything else we could git our hands on and turn'em over to General Jackson and his "Stonewall Brigde. But these where wild men when the killin' started and I was caught up in it. Caught up in the fact dat white men had drove my poeple near to starivtion, killed mothers, babies and old men just like animals. I let my emotions git da best of me. I aint proud of what I did, but it's da past. What's done is done ."

Whiskey jumped up from the table and stoomped away. The she stopped and wheeled around, pulling her Peacemaker from it leather and aiming it at me. I slowy stood up, spreading my arms wide and said to Whiskey........"Shoot...........Now, damn it...........SHOOT ! Can't hurt me anymore than I am already !"

She walked over to the bar and shoving Bottles aside, she took hold of 2 whiskey bottles and tossed them to me. Then she raised her Peacemaker at me again, cocking it this time and said.........."GET THE HELL OUT OF MY SALOON HAWK !" I didn't push the matter, I walked out those batwing doors, thinking I had lost another friend to my past.

I went down to livery where Vern was and to my surpise, he had my horse saddled and a pack horse ready to ride. "I saw Mr. Hart in town, leaving wif no bullet holes in him, so I figured you was gonna go after him. Then I heard Miss Whiskey shoutin' at ya, so I got more supplies fer ya too, Mr. Hawk."

I nodded to him, unable to speak, and got my dragoons from the pack, strapping them on, and swinging up into the saddle, Vern handed me my Henry. "You comin' back, Mr Hawk ?" Vern asked.

"Recon not Vern. Best if I aint seen round here." I looked him in the eye and he knew what I meant.

"She's got a two edged sword in her mouth. Been cut wif it a few times myself. But she came round to say she was sorry in a few days. Expect she will do the same wif you too !" Vern said with a big smile cross his face.

"Don't think so." I said, looking back at the Hanging Tree Saloon. I sighed and said, "Vern, she knows whar my claim is. Dat's whar I'm headin to pick up Mary. Then I'll be moving on. She can have the claim....I have no further need of it."

I spured my horse and rode out. I felt betrayed, but it was nothing new to me.

As I neared my camp about midnight, I saw a small fire burning, coffee brewing, fish frying with some taters and beans, saw a new bedroll spread out with a coulpe ceegars laying on it. I reined up just outside the camp, thinking Maddog had set a trap, but after looking the camp over it was safe. So I went in, with rifle in hands.

"Do ya like ?" Mary spring out and waving her hands wildley. "Good Lawd Child !...........Dat stunt almost got ya kilted, Mary ! How did you know i was comin anyway ?" I asked her in a very wary way.

She smiled and said, "I was standing at the back door of the Hanging Tree...you know the door that leds to the outhouse...........Heard every word Whiskey said. Being from that situation meself, I know what you mean. Sides, my name aint Mary anyway." she said.

"What da hell is it din ? !" I asked, growing more angery by the mintue.

"Rose Marie, " she said, but you can call me Rose if ya like. Figured you didn't have time to pack up much, so I helped ya out some. You can thank me later !" she said with that wicked little smile.

I settled down and with a full belly, I went over the events of the past. I had kilted a large man who was spying on the Hanging Tree Saloon. Maddog was in town, as I drew on the ceegar, and there was Willian S Hart. Something was missing. Then it dawned on me that there was another man out there somewhere and it wasn't Hart. But who was it ? I had to found out, but not now. It had been a very full day and I was tired. I needed to sleep. "I'll take first watch Hawk. Rest and spell me later." Rose said.

I drifted off to sleep, a dream filled sleep. I was scouting a trail for J.E.B. back in the war. Fog and mist all around me and my horse. I suddenly thought I was being watched. My horse was un easy and then BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM ! I had been almost cut into and I was trying to scream out in pain but nothing came out of my mouth. I looked up and saw Maddog looking down and laughing at me. I awoke with a gasp and a scream, Rose came running into camp.

"You ok, Hawk ?" Rose asked me. "Yup, I'm fine. Well, guess I'll spell ya. Seen anythin' ?" I asked her. "Nope, anry a thing. But did smell something though. Kinda ripe."

I nodded and stood to my feet, strapping my dragoons back on, and checked my Henry to see if it was loaded full. It was and said to Rose, "Be back at dawn." and I slipped into the darkness. Maybe it was the darkness of hate or night, but it was darkness just the same.

In the deep darkness, I was following the trail of smell. I was down wind from a man that stank to high heaven. "Could dis man be dead or wounded ? No, he needed a bath in da worst way !" I thought. I came upon him, he was watching the Hanging Tree, watching the comeing and goings of the folks.

Needless to say, he didn't spot me leaving out the back door of the Hanging Tree Saloon. Maybe he was waiting to see if Whiskey would walk out or leave out to my camp and bush wack her. I drew an arrow from the quiver, put it in the bow string and drew it back....slowly...as not to make noise. I drew it back till it stopped and I let my arrow fly, striking this man square in his neck. He stook, looking shooked, as to where the arrow came from, gasping blood and tying to speak.

I stayed in the brush from where I had shoot my arrow and watched him slowly bleed out, wacthing his life flow out onto the desert sands and rocks. He fell to the ground and I walked up to him, almost smiling. I looked into his eyes and watched the light go out, then I commenced to scalping him the same way as I had his partner.

I walked back to camp by dawn and went straight to the trout stream below my camp. I took that man's bloody scalp and washed all the blood out as best I could and then I went to my camp, to a pack on the ground and pulled out a five pound bag of salt. I put atleast two pounds on it and hung it up. Rose looked at it drying on my clothes line and said, "My Lawd, Ghost rider is truely back !" I wasn't shore if she was proud or frightened of me. And I didn't care much either.

Rose cooked us breakfast, and made coffee while I saddled her horse, checked it's hoofs and saddled my horse and then went right straight to packing the pack horse. I rolled a smoke, lit it and poured the coffee out on the camp fire. We ate and Rose asked, Why are we braking camp, Hawk ?"

I did not say a word to her, so she aked again, "Ghost Rider, we brakin' camp, right ?" I walked up to her and looking her in the eye said to her, "Child, I do not make it a habit of explainin' my moves to any one and I do not plan to start now. You comin or not ?" I said to her. Rose swallowed hard and said "Yes Sir, Hawk. I'm coming !"

I wheeled around and said to her "NO ! I will not have ya sharin my camp ifin' ya think ya have to be der ! Come ifin ya want to, and welcome. Or go into da Saloon ifin ya want. Yur Choice Rose Marie !"

I tied my dried scalp to my saddle and swung up, putting my bow and quiver on the saddle horn and started to ride off. Leaning down I grabbed the lead rope of the pack horse and started north east toward Colorado Territory. I needed to talk to Grizz and see if he would gave Rose Marie work as a cook or something. I did not need any else following me. Some one else I had to be responsible for.

We rode for a while, the desert "Indacator" plant now appering, and I knew we where leaving Apache land. The air was growing more damp, but not wet. Some grass was showing up, and I thought about my days as a free grazer hand. The pay was very good, and the fact I was mostly alone didn't hurt none at all. Then the killing started and I had my fill of it. Way too much blood and misery. I did not need that.

As we rode along, I came upon a buffalo cafe who's mother had died of a busted leg. The cafe was just standing beside it's lifeless mother, it seemed to be waiting for her to get back to her feet and nurse it. I signaled back to Rose Marie to stop, the I walked my horse alittle closer, still the cafe did not move. I pulled my Buffalo rifle that Big Goose had given me, loaded it and layed it across the saddle and touched the trigger.

I was down wind and the cafe was still standing still. Suddenly it jumped and belowed a bit, then the report of the rifle firing broke. The cafe dropped to the ground quickly and I walked up to it, saying it was butter we take it than the yotes. I looked up into the early afternoon light, facing east and thanking Mother Earth for her blessing and not letting this meat go to waste.

After the skinning, and cooking of the meat was done, I dressed the hide and layed it out to dry in the cool night air. I had the fire nice and big and while I was putting my blanket on Rose asked, "Hawk....if I can ask ya, way so big ?" she said pointing to the fire. I realized then this was the first she had spoke since I had gotten on to her.

I looked up and saw she had the makings of some tears in her eyes. "Ohhh, come on now...turn of dem water works. You'll might just put dis fire out. And I what Whiskey to see it." Rose face lit up with delight because Whiskey was her friend. "Now don't git to dad gum excited Rose Maire......You and Whiskey aint gangin' up on me. I'll do what I want, go whar I want when I want to !" Then I sat down, pulled my whiskey bottle out of the pack and cut off a piece of hump and started to eat.

A couple of weeks had gone by and the man I had watching Whiskey’s salon had reported back that the Indian still lived. As long she kept her saloon closed, I decide I would wait and see what happened and what they decided to do out there. Slowly all the help he had gathered to help him fight me rode off except for one of them. I never was good for waiting but it appeared that if I waited long enough, I may be able to beat them without firing another shot. One day a mountain man rode into town and I could tell he was a real loner. That night he got in to a fight and I threw him in jail. The next day when he sobered up, I found out he did not any money to pay his fines so told him he would have to work if off for me. He told me his name was Jake and he had been wondering from place to place for years and knew most of this country. I took him out to meet the Scout that William S. Hart had watching the saloon and told them to find the Indian’s claim and that as he had a gold mine in the area and we needed to find it. A the mention of gold, both men‘s eyes lit up and they told me that they would find it. Another week went by and Jake came in to town one night and reported that they had found Hawk’s camp and one of them was watching it and the other the saloon. He also told me all that was left was a big mountain man, a girl, Hawk and Whiskey and her hired help. I knew it was now time to go to work. I told Jake we would meet him in the morning and to get back out and watch the saloon and have the scout watch the camp.

The next morning, I was eating breakfast when Big Knife Jim and William S. Hart walked into Cookie’s Place. At the sight of them, everybody cleared out and it was just the four of us, Cookie, Hart, Jim and me. Cookie looked Hart and said:

“William S Hart, you are bad for my business. I should charge you double.”

I looked at Hart “Charge him double, and I will collect for you, Cookie.”

“Try it and it will be the last thing you ever do, Maddog. I am tired of waiting around, I want my money and if you just going to do nothing, I am taking my men and leaving.”

“If you try and leave before I tell you to go, you will be leaving in a pine box.”

Big Knife Jim spoke up “Are you two ever going to stop fighting, I may be old but I can still whip both of you”

Hart and I looked at Big Knife Jim and then each other. Big Knife Jim had taught both of us to draw and shoot, and he could most likely still out shoot us. I looked both of them and smiled.

“So how old are you Jimmy, 100? You have been telling the same stories for so long I can tell them better than you can.”

“Well um I am um well, I don’t remember now. But when I was younger there was this time that…”

Hart rolled his eyes; “Jimmy, your 83 years old. Maddog did you have to get him started? Back to the business at hand; when are we going to do something?”

“We are going to ride out there this morning and you are going to earn your money. I will point out that Indian to you and you can go in there and kill him and anybody you that gets in your way. If you kill him and the woman, I will double your pay. Both of you eat and meet me in 30 minutes and be ready. And make sure you pay Cookie for running off his customers.”

Big Knife Jim spoke up, ‘Ok, we will be there. By the way, Cookie, did I ever tell you about the time I was ridding for…”

William S. Hart looked at me “I will get you for getting him started this early in the morning.”

I laughed and walked out as Jimmy continued his story.

A half hour later, we rode out to where Jake was watching the saloon. We worked our way up slow so we would not be seen.

“Where is the Indian?’ I asked.

“He uses the back of the saloon most of the time. He went out to his camp last night and has not come back yet. We have to watch or you will miss him. Wait, I see him now, look back there.”

William S Hart looked at him and then got a strange look on his face but then it returned to normal.

“What did you say his name was?” Hart asked.

“They called him Hawk. Do you know him? What about you, Jimmy, did you see him and do you know him?”

Big Knife Jim looked at the saloon. “I don’t see anybody and I don’t remember any body named Hawk.”

“Ok, Jimmy, Go and kill him, Hart, and we will be in town waiting for you after we check on your scout. Remember, everybody else you kill get you a bonus. Jake here will keep track of the bodies and will verify your story.”

William S Hart looked at me. “Fine, when I get to town, you and I will settle everything between us.”

Big Knife Jim and I watched William S. Hart walk into the saloon. Then, we followed Jake’s directions to find the Hawk’s camp. When we got close, we saw buzzards circling and went to see what they had found. We found the scout and his throat had been cut and he had been scalped. Jimmy told me that we should bury him but I had a better idea. We put the body in a blanket and hauled it back to town. I figured we could show it to the people in town and that would turn them against Whiskey and Hawk and they would be scared and would demand I run them out. If William S. Hart did not get the job done, this would be the legal way to blame them and I would have all the backing I would need to charge them with murder and burn them out. Either way, it now looked like I could get rid of them and I would own this town agian and getthe gold mine. Things were really looking up again.

I knew Maddog and his men would being coming soon, but it would not be this night. No, this night was special as was this whiskey I was enjoying. Rose Marie was smiling at me and it was damn hard not to smile back. I took a sipp of fine whiskey, drew on my smoke I had just rolled and was wiping down my Henry rifle when I heard a horse and rider ride up, just ouside of the firelight.

"You could have made the fire just a bit bigger, Hawk ? They can't see it in Atlanta ?" she said, almost laughing. "Whiskey....You came out to join us !" Rose said. "I knew you and Hawk where just funning me !" I got up and walked to Whiskey and cast Rose the look and said, "Who was funnin' who ?" for which I got a good slap on my chest.

" Could I get a bite to eat first, then we'll jaw a spell. Food smells good. You cook it Hawk ?" Whiskey asked.

"Nope,......It was me. This is my doing !" Rose said. "While you eat, I tie up you're horse and unsaddle him too !" she said and almost bounded away like a young school girl.

Whiskey ate a fine meal and then as Rose came back into camp, Whiskey said, "Y'all been nipping my whiskey I see."

"Oh yeah, and as long as it keeps comin', I'll keep drinkin' it !" I said. "But not gonna get drunk just yet. Need to know if Maddog took the bait."

Whiskey picked up a ceegar and with a small twig burning, lit it and took a deep draw. "Yes and No." she said.

I raised my brow and she said, ":Maddog knows you're alive, and he knows you rode off. But he does not know where we're off to."

I adjusted my seat and said, "We are headin' northeast toward Colorado Territory to ask Grizz ifin' he would take Rose Marie in and give her honset work and not treat her like a slave." And then I said, "We'll head back to da Hangin' Tree Saloon and I'll take care of Maddog, once and for all."

"I aint gonna work for Mr. Grizz ! I'm gonna ride with you and Whiskey !" Rose said. I just put her off and Whiskey asked, "You think you can take Maddog, Hawk ?"

I answered with, "I don't rightly know. He's smart and he's fast with his temper and his gun. Which may just be his down fall." I looked up at Rose and said, "You will go to Grizz's ranch. You may not like it, but you will go. I will not have you sleepin' on da cold hard ground, havin' to cook up what I can find. I'll not have you sleepin' in da rain and snow. Now, you do not have to like it, but my mind's made. You WILL go cuz I'm gonna take you der ! "

Rose's eyes looked wide as she looked at me then Whiskey. "Hawk's right Rose. Well, most of the time. You'll be much better off at the Grizz ranch than here." Rose looked down at the ground and was very quite.

And Whiskey said, "As I rode out I saw one of Maddog's man looking for you mine. He plans to steal it."

"Yup...I expect so. Knowing what he could do, his men are like buffalo, lead to da slaughter. He is one cold hearted man who will do any and everythin' for his cause." I said.

"Well, we'd should expect the unexpected." Whiskey said. "And Hawk, that was a pretty good acting back in my Saloon. Had me fooled !"

I smiled and walked to my bed roll as I said, "Who was actin' Whiskey ? Sure whart me !" and I layed down and dreamed civil war dreams....again.

do mot stop here best western on the wire

Thany ya so much Joe Boy ! :D

Colonel Hanson had ordered me and my squad of horsemen to charge the Federal cannon line. "But Sir, dat's just plain foolish ! My men won't make it back alive !" Colnel Hanson said to me, "Then these foot soilders will die......all 1200 of them !"

I nodded, "I understand Sir ! We will ride to our death like the brave warrors we are !" I said to the Colonel. And he replyed, "God's Speed Captain ! Now, move out !"

I formed my squard in a line in the trees and told them to start they're death song as we will not return. And I nudged my horse into the clearing, facing the cannon. To my surpise, a single cannonner office stepped out in front of his cannon, with his sword raised to his forehead and then dropped sharply down. The rest of my men rode out into the clearing. I nodded to them and we charged screaming as we rode !

We where firing our rifles as fast as possible, riding as fast as our horses would carry us. Then the cannons fired a single volley. I felt my horse upended, and it threw me clear. I stood and seeing my falling and fallen brothers around me, I screamed out and ran like the devil himself was chasing me. Then a cannon ball with a five scound fuse went off in the ground in front of me.

I was threwn back, landing on my right side, earing ringing and bleeding, my eye sight and gone to black and white. I could see Colonel Hanson's foot soilders charging the cannonners, but they ran past me in slow motion. They took the guns and hoisted the stars and bars over them. That's went I awoke from my dream, breathing hard and soaking wet with sweat.

I got quickly to my feet and when I was satisfiyed I was not wounded, I went to my saddle bag, pulled out a bottle of fresh whiskey and took a very long pull off the bottle. Then I lit a ceegar, sat down on Mother Earth and wondered why I lived and most of my men died. I signed very heavyly and took another long pull on that bottle.

I heard Whiskey walking over to me and sat down next to me. "Heard you cry out.....some kind of singing, " she said as she took the bottle, taking a pull from it and kiting herself a ceegar. "The War ?" she asked and I nodded my head, which was hanging low in shame. "Thinking about you're men you lost ?" Again, I nodded, while the ground was getting hard to see. Whiskey took a small pull off the bottle and handed it back to me. And she patted my knee and whispered, "It will pass." I shook my head, "Not for me !" and took a long drink.

Whiskey went back to her bedroll and slept long....about an hour past sun up. I didn't sleep. Didn't want to. I had my horse, Whiskey's and Rose's horse saddled and had the pack ready to be packed after breakfast. Rose was still quite, still mad at being forced to grizz's ranch. I sat near her and sipped my coffee, rolled a smoke and lit up. I had to walk around to loosen up. And that's when I saw them.

"Whiskey, grib yur carbine and make ready !" I said as if she was one of my troopers. And she did, standing right beside me.

"What do you see Hawk, cause I see nothing at all !" Whiskey said.

I pointed to the ground, the broken brush, the disturbed rock. "Looks like we had a visitor last night." I said Whiskey looked up at me with a worryed face. Middle sized man, white, wharin' a middle sized well worn brogan shoe, not a boot. Dis is more likey a Federal Veteran dat was spin' on us last night. Most be a trap cuz he didn't bother covering his tracks !"

"What tracks ? How the hell can you see all that Hawk ?" Whiskey asked me while sweeping the country side with the sights of her carbine.

"Cuz I look, Whiskey !" I said, on edge a little. I was so caught up in my shame, I could not feel like I was being watched. And now, I was getting angery about it. I thought I would not drop my guard again. "Let's break camp, follow dis trail fer a while, and see whar it leads. Be wary of traps and ambushs. Bound to be some." I said to Whiskey.

I walked over to Rose, who had already started packing up camp. "Rose, take dis. " I said. Pointing to it I said, "Dat's a 44 belly gun. You know how to use dis ?" She nodded that she did. "Now cuz da barrel is short it aint good fer long range, but fer close quaters it does a fair job. Now it loaded, so do not worry bout sights, just put da barrel over da target and pull da trigger, got it ?" I asked.

Rose said, "Yes, I got it. And Hawk, I'm sorry about what I said about going to Mr. Grizz's ranch. I won't gave ya no more problems about it."

"Dat's good, cuz we may not have time !" I said as I untied the pack horse and Rose's horse. "WHISKEY,.....LET"S RIDE.....DER COMIN !" I yelled out. I saw five or six gunmen riding hard toward us. We where in a near flat plain, not quite desert, not quite grass land with no hills. I pointed to a stand of trees about two miles off. "HEAD FER DOS PINES YOUNDER !" I yelled out.

I wheeled my horse around and watched Whiskey with the pack horses in tow and Rose heading for the stand of pondrosa pines on a hill and I was right behind them.I had my dragoon drawn when I heard a ricoshay of a bullet off a rock. I knew to fire while riding full out would be a waste of lead, so we rode hard into the trees.

I silde to a stop, while handing my reins off to Rose, I ordered, "Do not let'em flank us Whiskey ! Shoot to kill , not wound ! Rose, git dem horses back in da woods whar de'll be safe. Grap my Henry and some boxes of shells and git da hell up here !" I said.

I took up a postion near a fallen log, as did Rose. Whiskey was behind a rock. We waited and waited. "You still think they are out there ?" Rose asked. And Whiskey said, "Oh..they're out there all round ! Just waiting to pick us off !"

I settled in and said, "Keep yur eyes peeled. Ifin it moves, kill it ! De'll wait a spell, till night fall, den dey will make der move and so will I !" I said as I looked at them both.

I settled in to get a nap and Whiskey shouted, "Hawk..........What the............you sleeping..........now !"

"Tryin' too, Whiskey Darlin !" I said. "Gonna spell ya tonight, so keep watchin' and wake me ifin' ya see somethin'." I said.

It was dark all too soon when I heard, "Ghost Rider,...Spell me a while. I need to sleep." Rose asked me. I nodded yes and took my dragoon, holding it in hand instead of laying it across my belly.Rose slide down behind her log and cruled up and was soon sleeping soundly.

I looked over at Whiskey. She was holding up well, so I said, in a whisper, "Whiskey, I'm gonna scout around a bit. Got to be a way out of here and I'll find it."

Whiskey looked at me with a worryed look on her face and asked, "What should I do if you don't come back ? Head to Grizz's ranch with Rose ?"

"Yup, dat's what I'd do." I said , "But I'll be back soon."

I got up from my log and went to our pack horses, gethered up my bow and arrows, and throwing hawk and set out to find some tracks.

It was pitch black, yet I could see things all white men would miss. There was not a moon or stars in the sky and there was a slight breeze coming from the west. "Humm. " I thought to myself. "Rain comin' soon....wash out da tracks and ours. We came move den. As soon as I clear a path and gether more scalps, specialy those how shoot me. Der gonna be sorry dey ever left me alive. Dat's a fact !"

I went through the pines and slowly out on the flat lands, moving very slowly as to not been seen. Then I heard the sound of a men snoring and I smiled. I crawled closer and took a arrow and drew the bow string tight. I took aim at his chest and let fly, and I drew back another arrow that follow the first.. I lowered my body to the cold ground and crawled over to this men to get my arrows back, and relive him of his scalp. He won't be needing it any more.

I frimly tied it to my belt and kept crawling toward the next man. I knew the coming rain would wash away any blood trail left by the fresh scalp. The next man was standing watch, but I had already put the sneak on him. I took my fighting knife out of my boot and eased up behind him All in one swift movement I put my hand over his mouth, fingers in his eyes, took my fighting knife, just behind his right ear, and shoved hard as I could, while chucking his knee, and wigglely around the knife a bit, making his brain into mush. He meet his Maker without a sound. And I relived him of his scalp also.

Suddenly a watchman begain running toward the man I just killed. I answered his charge with my throwing hawk. He gasped as it struck, lefting him off his feet. He was out in the open, and too risky of being seen if i lifted his scalp, so I retrived my hawk and worked my way back to Whiskey and Rose.

It had begain to rain when I came back and said softly, "Saddle up ladies, I've cleared a path and we're headin fer Grizz's spread." Both Rose and Whiskey moved silently as I kepted watch over the land. I though, "Coffee would taste mighty good right about now....so would a drink of whiskey. Ladies got to be wet and cold, but aint gonna build no fire tonight, tomarrow, maybe tomarrow night."

I left my log and gethered up some moss that was growing in the pines and begain to tie it to my horse's hoofs. "What are you doing that for, Hawk ?" Whiskey asked.

"To mask our hoss's hoofs...makes'em quiet. Ya need to do da same." I looked out across the flat land while the ladies worked on they're horse's hoofs. When they where done, I swung up into the saddle, taking my Henry from Rose and whispered "Let's move out."

The rain was coming down now a little bit faster now. I could see it rolling around the brim of my hat, falling on my buckskin shirt and running down my back. We rode single file most of the night, leving a small trail that could easyly be washed away. The sun was rasing and the ladies where shriving, but the Apache was raised this way. The whites had made it so. Yes, I was cold, but I dared not show it. Any feelings would be considered a sign of weakness."Hawk, aint we gonna stop for breakfast ? At least make a fire to get warm ?" Whiskey asked, almost pleading. "Yeah, Ghost Rider...Can't we stop just for a while ? We're cold wet and tired !" Rose said, with a pleading voice.

"You ladies stop, you die !" I said, not even breaking my horse's stride. "Der trailin' us right now. Rain washed away most sign but not all. We got to keep moving ! "

"Guess you know best Hawk, those scalps hanging from you're saddle horn.....from the cleared path ?" Whiskey asked. And I didn't respond. "This how you would ride in the war Hawk ?"

"Yeah Ghost Rider...tell us about you're do and daring in those days !" Rose said gleefully.

I twisted around in my saddle and shot Rose a very nasty look. "Come on Hawk, You're her hero !"

I closed my eyes tightly and said "I aint no hero. Those injun braves dat gave der lives fer da Confederate States of America are the heros." I then rode on in the shameful quite the rest of the day till nightfall.

We stopped near the northern New Mexico border, built a small fire, had some coffee, beans, bacon and fry bread to which both Whiskey and Rose ate alot of, while still wearing their blankets, trying to stay warn. While I was used to being cold and alone, I must admit, I was feeling cold myself.

As the ladies ate, I made a tie line, tied the horses to it, unsaddled them and unpacked the pack horse, picked their hoofs, and let them graze on the soft green grass. I pulled my 1860 Henry out and my 1866 Henry carryed them to the fire, and went back to get my scattergun and a few boxes of shells. I brought up some 38's for Whiskey's PeaceMakers. and carbine.

I had a plate of bacon, beans, and fry bread, but I hadn't forgot about that good home made whiskey. I poured both ladies cups almost full and said, "To ward off the night air !" Whiskey took a good long sip, but Rose took just a little and coughed. Whiskey looked at Rose and asked, "Child,....are you ill ?" Rose shook her head and replyed, "Just fine whiskey. Aint used to it, that's all ." I looked at Whiskey and nodded that we would keep an eye on her. I thought, "Now I have to watch Rose and our back trail !" and sighed and went back to eatting.

I levered a round into the 66 and handed it to Rose. "You know how to use dis ?" and she nodded yes. "Good", I said. "Whiskey, here's a box of 38 shells. Scattergun is loaded over der by dat rock. Box of shells too. Double 00 buck. 7 pellets per round. Dat will put a hole through da bigest man. Use it if you have to."

"I have my two Peacemakers, and my carbine and that's all I need, Mr Ghost Rider !" Whiskey said. I could tell she was a little put off. "Must be the hard long cold ride !" I thought. I can't ready blame her. "You see da size of dat rock.....dat's in case we have to fall back. Plenty of food der...hard tack and jerky and ammo. See Whiskey Darlin." I said, tapping my finger to the side of my head and smiling. "Kidneys, Whiskey...Kidneys !"

I went over to the small rock where I could see the floor of the plain. Anything that moved I could see it. The moon was on the raise and was soon casting a shadow across the plain below. All was peaceful and a nice breeze stired the grass. And I qickly but unententinal dosed off. When I stired, it was the eastern sun shinging in my face and it felt good !

Whiskey had built a small fire and had some quail eggs, bacon, made gravy from the grease, buscits baked nd coffee. For her to do all that I must have been out for a while. I would have slept better on my bedroll but laying agasint Mother Earth was just as good. I ate very well as did us all. Whiskey and Rose where cleaning up, I was saddling our horsses and pack horse when I heard Whiskey say to Rose, "Child......You look sickly !" I walked over to Rose and slapped my hand on her fore head. Rose pulled back, grapping my waist and throwing my hand down.

"She's got a fever Whiskey. How's yur nurseing skills ?" I asked her. Whiskey smiled and answered, "Pretty damn good, juding by how good you look after being shoot in two !" I'm OK, Whiskey. Really. I can pull my own weight." Rose said. Still smiling Whiskey put her hand on her forehead to which Rose didn't pull away. "You got a fever child....Not to worry though. If I can sew that knotthead back together again, I can worl miricles !"

We set off into Colorado Territory and was making good time when the skies darkenned and it started to rain again, heavyily this time. I thought I would head toward the tree line off in the far distance. But it was too late. I heard a 50 cal bullet bounce of a rock and then my horse threw me, but I kepted hold of my reins.

"HEAD FER DOS TREES !" I shouted and swung back up into my rain slick saddle. Whiskey and Rose rode like hell bent for leather for the tree line, with Whiskey taking the pack horse lead rope. I was firing with my dragoons, untill they where empty and I rode hard to caught up. The Rose's horse went down with a bullet hole in the neck, spilling her head first into the muddy ground. I wheeled my horse around and then Whiskey grabbed my arm shouting, "NO HAWK, THERE"S TOO MANY OF'EM ! YA CAN'T FIGHT'EM HERE ! !"

I knew she was right, but I did not like it at all. We hit the tree line and returned fire. They stopped their advance, and steetled in for a sage, but then, one of the men fell from the far right. Then another one fell, then another one. They soon broke and rode off, but I saw they had Rose on one of their horses !

"Cover me Whiskey.....Gonna check on dos dead men. I may know'em." I said to her. "But Hawk...you don't know who's shootin' at them He just may shoot you too !" I shook my head, and said "Think I know who he is. And ifin' I'm right, he's on my side and can help us git Rose back !"

I said to Whiskey..."I'll just have to take dat chance !" and stepped out into the open ground. I felt those sights following me, then suddenly leave. I knew who it was and I was thankful he just happened to be there when he did. I walked over to the first man who was hit by that long range Buffalo rifle but he was long dead. Then I waled up to the secound man, who was just as dead as the first. Then I walked up to the thrid man, who, to my surpise was barely alive.

I walked up to him in the pouring rain and saw half his guts was missing. That 45-110 did a good job. "Whar did dey take Rose !" I asked him. He was trying to gether up his guts and I put my boot inside and pressed down hard. He sreamed out in pain and I looked down at him, the rain rolling off my brim, "I aint in da habit of repeatin' myself......Where ?" I said and pressed down again.

"Back to our camp, two miles from here ! Oh Lawdy, Mister, Help me I'm dieing !" He cryed out with his hand out strenthed to me. I slapped it away and let him get a good look at my face, "Oh my Gawd.....Yur real !" and then I saw the fear leave his eyes. "Yup, I'm real alright !"

I would back to camp and shout to Whiskey, I was coming in and not to shoot. "Who shoot those me Hawk ? Can we trust him and where have they taken Rose ?" I said, You already know him Whiskey." and pointed to the trees. "But I don't see nothing !" she said. "Yup, but he sees you. Come on over Big Goose !"

With that, this big mountain man stepped into the clearing, his 45-110 Sharps still steaming from the rain. "Howdy, Miss Whiskey. We meet again althought it could have been much happier times ."

Archived