SASS Wire Forum

Lone Rider

Apache Hawk 60642

I settled in and sipped on the whiskey, as I didn't want Maddog to caught me drunk and unable to fight. But I was with Whiskey and I knew she had my back.

"Hawk, if you don't mind my asking....how did you get that scar,if you don't mind my asking." she asked me.

I sipped my whiskey and said, "I mind Darlin, but I'll tell ya anyways.....I was chasin' da outlaw dat kilt my women. He ran to Old Mexico, thought I could not git him der. But I got him alright but he got off a shot before I could kill'em."

"I didn't know you where married, Hawk." Whiskey said with a surpised look on her face.

"Did not say I was marryed !" I said in a stern voice. "Apache women she was. Purtyest thing I'd even seen, till I seen Josie."

Whiskey pointed to my chest. "What happened there ?" She pointed to the large scar running from my left shoulder down to my right hip. She went to touch it but I pulled away.

"Durin' da war...little scrap outside Wichester, Verginny. A yankee saber did dis to me. And I put dat bastard in da ground ! Damn near knocked me off my hoss. But I held on long nuff to find a Reb soilder and dat's all I remember." I said.

"Larwdy Hawk ! You have been to hell and back !" Whiskey said, refilling my wooden cup and taking a pull off the bottle herself.

"Yup, me and ole Satan are on a first name bases..." I said taking another sipp of whiskey. "Sent anuff Yankees to him, fer sure...not to speak of da bandtios I kilted while Rangerin."

Whiskey just shook her head in disbeif as I reached into my poke. "Wha cha got there, Hawk ? " She asked.

"Hard tack and jerky. Here Gal....Caught !" I said, tossing my poke to her. She reached inside and got a picece of both and passed it back. I thought with Maddog, he would test our defences before attacking. And he was doing just that. It was going to be a long night.

"Whiskey Darlin, I'll take first watch. Den I wake ya and you can spell me, ok ?" I said. Whiskey nodded ok and I settled in for a nap. And I heard the ever so slight sweak of a cork being pulled. "Save some fer breakfast, women !" I said as if I was mad. But in turth, I was not.

It was just before sun raise when Whiskey shook me. "Hawk, time to get up and spell me !"

"Damnation women, I told ya to wake me and I'd spell ya ! Did not mean let me sleep all night !" I said to her.

"I didn't wake ya to spell me Hawk ! I can't sleep any how ! I woke ya to stop that damn snoring ! " she said, shaking her finger in my face. "I swear Hawk, You could wake the dead.......I don't see how you didn't get captured during the war !" Whiskey said to me.

I filled my wooden cup with some more whiskey and looked her eye to eye and said, "Never said I did not git captured. I did. Took me to some place in Illinos out sideof Chicgo. I did not like how dey treated a Reb and a half breed so I lifted."

"You left....passed the gaurds, wire and all that ?" she said as she took my wooden cup and sipped from it. "Just walked out, just like that !"

"Yup, just like dat. Course it did not hurt done da I had da uniform and hoss of a Yankee Captin' ! I said smiling at her.

I saw movement near where James was watching the road. "Lookie der......Just beyound da Joshaway tree. And dat rise out yonder." I said . "Hope James sees it....Goose can not see der."

Whiskey drew her carbine up to her shoulder and I said, "Wait fer ya shot...take yur time.....I am shore ders more din two of'em der."

That's when I heard the boom of the buffalo gun on the roof top. Goose had opened up, shoting at men coming at us from the west.

"Looks like Maddog's got more men than I thought !" I said as I lined up a shot at the man poping up in front of me, about 100 yards out. I squeezed off the shot, and saw the red blood fly in the dersert sunlight. As that man fell, I jacked another round in my rifle I saw Whiskey fire. And fire again.

"Easy Gal...we aint got dat much ammo." I said with a big smile. I was waiting for a fight of some kind and this looked like it was now.

Whiskey liked at me, sorta smiling and said, "Always double tap !" and jacked another round in her carbine.

James had opened up. I thougt that was good fore I feared those outlaws had jumped him or worse......he was sleeping ! Big Goose was still picking them off at a distance. Those outlaws didn't know where he was shooting from, as they where reciving fire from all points they try to breech.

It wasn't too long before those outlaws reailized they could not get near us and then that's when I heard a familar voice hollering out.

"Hawk, Brother....we need to talk ! Meet me half way ! I'm coming out !" Maddog called out.

"Goose !" I called out in a low voice.

"Got that bastard in my sights Colonel !" Big Goose responded.

"Whiskey, I'm gonna go talk to him. Ifin any elsew pops up, kill'em." She nodded and I steped out of the burned out jail. Maddog was nearing halfway when he held out his healing hand. "So, we meet again, Brother."

"I am not yur brother, Maddog. Speak yur peice...Aint got all day and dis sun is gittin' hot." I said to him.

"See you are dug in like a Jawja tick. Got a sniper here too. Someone watching the road aand a cliff to you're back, ....Nice !"

I looked real hard at Maddog and replyed, "Know what I got and what I aint got. Git on wif it."

"Well, it's like this Hawk.....I want you're mine. Know it's around here some where. And I want that jail you and Whiskey's dug into." Maddog said to me.

"I do not think I want to give it to ya Maddog ! What cha think bout dat !" I said cocking my hammer on my rilfe.

"Then I'll just have to burn this one horse town to the ground, just like in Jawja. Starting with Whiskey's Saloon !" Maddog said with a big grim on his face.

I looked at him and smiled, saying "Go head...Burn it down to the ground. But ya might want to think about fer a miunte as yur Chinaese gal is in der." This time I had him over a barrel and he knew it.

"What the hell is my dau......er....she doing in there Hawk !" Maddog screamed out.

I smiled even bigger now. "Well well, Maddog....You got a daughter.....my..my ! Ya see, I figured dat's what she was when ya had me let ya fecth her from da Chinaman doin' yur clothes. Figured she was of value to her, so I told Whiskey to keep her in the Saloon you want to burn....just as a safe guard. Do not want her gittin' hurt !"

"Let her go now Hawk ! I will not harm you or you're friends or burn the Saloon ! You got my word on it !" Maddog pleaded.

" Not a chance ! Aint gonna let you double cross me no more ! She stays put ! " I said.

I could see his anger growing and growing untill he hollared out, "This is not the end Hawk ! I will have her...I swear it !"

"Not till I say so............and I aint sayin' so ! I said as I backed away .

I watched as Maddog went off, kicking the dersert sand and stiring up alot of dust. I got back to the jail and took up my poistion, looking for some one to try and get the jump on us.

I looked at Whiskey and said, "Do not want to know what you and Josie did with dat Chinese gal....do not really care nether. But dat gal is Maddog's daughter !" I said smiling really big.

"WHAT ?"Whiskey yelled out. " She's that insane man's daughter ?"

I nodded, "Yup.....now we got a ace in da hole ! Now she has become a lot more valuable."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suddenly, without warning, a bullet struck the burnt timbers we where taking cover behind. "HELL !" I shouted out in surpise. Whiskey slide down to take cover and I called out...."Whiskey .....Ya hit ?"

"No Hawk...But Thanks for asking !" Whiskey said to me.

"Goose...Ya see whar that came from ?" I holladed out.

" I did not Colonel......This person will have to fire once more. Would it be too much to ask if you present you're self as a target ?" Goose said, in a manner of fact tone.

"Da hell I will ! Gaze dat hill line.....Look fer any muzzel flash !" I said.

Before I could get those wprds out of my mouth, another bullet struck, throwing up charcoal in my face.

"Goose...Whar did it come from ?" I shouted at him. I have never shouted at him before. Shouted to him, but never at him !

"Colonel...from that range, it must be a big bore Sharp's 45-110, military model. I will try to make that shooter stop and go else where !" Goose calmy told me.

"Find da bastrd quick, ya hear ?" I shouted out to him as another round struck the timbers in front of Whiskey. The shooter had the range and windage, and was working on elevation. Just a matter of time before one of us was struck. And I just could not stood that !

I heard Big Goose touch off a round from his baffalo and was reloading for another shot. I looked throught my spy glass as I sw the dust kick up in a place that was too far oout for this glass, but I still tryed. The next shot kicked up dust a little further back, and just then I saw the muzzel flash.

"DUCK WHISKEY !" I shouted out and she hit the blackened floor, just as the bullet struck where she had been taking cover.

There was black dust in the air as I called out, "Goose....ya got a fix on dat sniper ?"

"I am working on it, sir. " Goose rplyed just as calm as ever. I was fearful for the life of Whiskey and I coould not be calm when speaking. This shooter had us zeroed in and it was not a matter of time when one of us got hit, but when.

"Goose.......While we're young, man !" I shouted at him. He fired once more, but there was no return fire. And no movement Goose said.

"Whiskey..how ya doing gal ?" I asked her. I could tell she was scared but she was not going to show it.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK, HAWK ?" She said to me in a loud voice. "THAT BASTARD IS GONNA KILL US AND I CAN'T GET A SHOT OFF AT HIM ?"

" Make a bet wif ya....Ifin' we make it oout of dis fight alive, I git to see ya in a dress ! What'd said to dat ?" I said to her. Before she could answer, some men came riding into town, fast and hard. James was firing away, but they where on fast mounts........fastest I've ever seen. I took my rifle and let the leader go past. He would have to come back to get us. I then took careful aim at the thrid man as Whiskey had aim on the second. We fired almost at the same time and two riders hit the ground dead.

I levered another round into my rifle and fired as did Whiskey. Before the dust settled, I counted four laying dead on the street. And if Goose got the sniper, that would make five. I knew the last time I saw Maddog, he only had five men left and very little money. I would have to guess he had got more of both.

Sunset came without any more trouble. I asumed Maddog was out of men, but I asked James to go out to check and see if he had any more. I knew James was with a recon diviso, so I hoped he didn't forgotten those skills. He was gone about two and a half hours before he returned.

We had all left our posts as I knew beyound a doubt that Maddog would not order an attack on us at night. He beleived those ghost storied is Ma had told him as a child. As we sat down to our first hot meal in a day or two, I asked Whiskey, "Ya did not answer my bet Gal. What'd cha say ?" I asked.

Whiskey put her hands on her hips and said, "If we come out of this in one peice, I'll put on a dress Hawk ! It's a bet...one I hope we win. Josie's waiting to see ya !"

I got up and went to where she was, in the room, with the Chinese women all tied up.Josie gave me the biggest hug I had ever had and looking deep into my eyes said, "Thanks for not getting shot !"

"Do not think I need more holes in my hide din what I got all ready !" I said. I took my meal with Josie and the Chinese women. I saw she was untied now and moving freely about. I couldn't hide my dismay at this. "Darling, she knows she is Maddog's daughter and she has given me her word, she will not try to escape." Josie said.

We sat, had our meal and talked Joise told me the same thing the Chinese woman had said to Whiskey. And then Whiskey knocked on the door and said, "I hate to break up this touching meeting, but James is back !" I patted Josie on her back side and said, "Watch yur back side. I do not trust her !" pointing to the Chinese girl and walked out the door.

James came in,out of breath, and sweating like a horse who's been rode hard and put up wet.

"Colonel Sir,........I seen'em. Many of'em !" He gasped for a breath and continuated. "About 30 or more, all hired guns too ! All armed good and good mounts too !" James looked like he could use a drink. I slide the bottle over to him, and he shook his head no. "Water will be fine, Sir !"

"Well now, That is a fine kettle of fish ! Big Goose said as he wlked to the closed doors of the Hanging Tree Saloon. "Hawk, I will not run and I will not surrender....But I'll be damned if I go down without a fight !" As he turned to face me, he said "I'll fight to the bloody end, Hawk !"

I smiled and poured him some of Whiskey's fine home made likker. Josie came in and said, "You could met him, you know."

"Out of the question. He made a blood promise with me, the promise dat can not be broken.......Well, he broke it and now he's gonna pay." I said. "Besides, I kinda expected dis, expected dat da Chinanese women was Maddog's kin or his women. But ether way, we got da advantage here. He many have us out numbered and out gunned but we have something he don't."

Whiskey had bottles bring us out some food and we ate it like we where starving. After I had my feel, I asked bottles to bring me another plate with everything he cooked on it.

When it arrived I looked at Josie and I carryed the plate into where the chinese women was. I put the plate down on the bed and stepped back. Then I tured to Joise and saing, "Ya figured out a way to talk to her, rat ? Tell her dat dis food is for her. Josie did her best and fanially got the point across. I then told Josie, "Ask her ififn' she knows what Maddog is up to ?"

Josie did the best she could using sign and words and at last got her to talk. "Hawk, as I understand it, Maddog is going to take you're mine and Whiskey's Saloon, kill all the man and boys while raping the girls and women folk."

Maddog wanted my mine. He could have it as I placed no vaule in that yeller metal. It was just a means to an end. But these folks would have rode and fiouht along side me, I will not let them die. Not for me, nor any one.

"Y'all best git some rest. Day break will come soon nuff. I'll watch...can not sleep any ways. I'll wake ya in a spell." James went off to sleep. Most likey, that is what got him captured in the first place. Big Goose was dozing in a fold up bedding type thing or nother. Never seen the like. Josie was sleeping lighty near by and Whiskey and I where whispering.

"Hawk....Maddog is gonna hit us hard, aint he ?" Whiskey asked. I could see the deep concern written in the lines in her face. She had seen more battles than any women should ever seen in one life time.

I said to her, "Yes. Maddog will hit us hard.....over and over and over....Picking us off one at da time. He has 30 plus men, armed to the teeth. We have 5, and have to rason ammo. He will strike and pull back, hit and run. We are cut off from da outside. No way to git supplies once da dry goods store runs out. Maddog has time on his side."

"Oh...you're a bundle of joy, aint cha Hawk ? ! Whiskey said, pouring another drink for me and herself. "But we have his so called daughter !" she said, lefting her glass and saying "Salute !" I lifted my glass and said, "Ar rrrya !"

I woke everyone about two hours before sun raise and we got back to our posts. And waited for Maddog to move, After a while, I heard him, "Hawk, Let's parlay !"

"Hell no, Maddog....You can not be trusted. Speak yur peice from whar yur at !"

"You have two things I want, Hawk. Now don't go and make me kill my own brother ! Give me what I want and walk away !" Maddog called out.

That got my dander up, but that was just what he wanted to do. "Maddog....I am not yur brother ! You broke da promise...ya deal wif it. I have yur kin and I intend to keep her till I see you ride out over dat ridge behind ya. And see you dismiss yur men ! Ifin ya want to fight, we will fight and die down to da last man. But dat man will kill yur daughter ! Now, live or die, it's up to you !"

"Now Hawk, let's just sit down and talk about this like...." I touched off a shot and struck the hard dirt in front of his feet.

"Nuff talk Maddog ! Ride off or die ! Da choice is yur's !" I shouted out.

"You'll regeat this Hawk !" Maddog screamed at me, throwing his white hat into the brown hardpan sand. "I will kill you, even if it's the last thing I do ! I will have what I want and what's mine !"

I laughed when Maddog threw his fit. "You can try Maddog.........You can try !" I looked over at Whiskey and said, "Git ready Darlin...De'll be comin' soon !"

Whiskey sighed loudly and said to me, "Hawk......I'm getting mighty tired of fighting for what I have. Seams like ever since the South declared indepnace, I've been working, watching my work burn and moving on. No more. I will fight to the bitter end for my Saloon.......and for you, Goose, Josie and James !. But especailly you...you're my kin and to me, that means alot. No more running. Fight or die !"

I nodded. "Din we best not miss. Make every shot count. One shot.......one kill !" I said and winked at her. We toasted the idea and just then Josie woke up.

"Now, what are you two doing ? What ideas are you cooking up ?" Josie asked. Me and Whiskey just looked at each other and then Josie and I said, "Makin' battle plans, Darlin......Dat's all !"

Josie loudly excalmed, "YOU CALLED ME DARLING.................YOU CALLED ME DARLING HAWK ! YOU DO LOVE ME !"

I looked at Whiskey with a confussed look on my face and turned to Josie and said, "Thought ya knew dat Dalin....Did not think I had to say it !"

That was when I saw the red spot appear on her shoulder, right side, a flesh wound through and through, just below the collar bone. But she went back a few steps, and started to fall to the floor. I cryed out, "NO !" and ran and caught her before Josie hit the floor. Now, for me, time was in slow motion. I jerked both my Dragoons, threw the Hanging Tree Saloon doors open and ran outside.

My head was on a swivel, looking back and forth. I checked the alleyways, and my ears where turned into every sound that this town could make. I heard the sounds of feet running down the alley and I gave chase. The bulidings had too many folks in them for me to shoot, so I caught up to the bastard that shoot Josie, to my throwing hawk and threw it with all my might.

"Ahhhhhh !" I heard this outlaw scream as my throwing hawk hit him square between the shoulders in the aera where one can not remove it themselfs. He went down, face first in the dust and I pulled my hawk out with some effort, and then rolled him onto his back. Then pinning him down with my knees, I started hacking his face, crying out something I did not understand. This outlaw was long dead, but I just kept hacking away till Big Goose showed up to pull me off. Then and only then did I stop and took to breathing again.

"Stop Hawk.....He's dead !" Goose said as he helped me to my feet. "My God !" Goose said. I was covered in blood, graspping for air and had that wild and deadly look in my eyes. I looked to the heavens and a loud creck of thunder and rain was coming down, very warm rain. I looked to Goose and said to him, "Let Maddog come..........I'm ready for him.............I know what I got to do !"

"Let's get you back to the Saloon and have the Doctor look you over. I fear most of that blood on you're shirt and face is not you'rs !" Goose said as we walked in the rain to the Saloon. We walked together, Big Goose and me, with my throwing hawk still in my hand, covered in blood. Towns folk stood on the boardwalk or in thier stores or homes, looking out the window at this big mountain man helping this half breed Apache injun, covered in blood to the Hanging tree Saloon......thier Saloon. If they could fight for it then they could too. They started to come over in numbers.

"What the hell..........James, get Doc and be quick about it ! "

"Yes Maam !" James said and was out the back way.

"Goose, bring him over here............What happened............Oh God looks like he's lost a lot of blood." Whiskey said, getting her good whiskey to use as medicine.

Goose shook his head and replyed, "I heard the shot from here and came to see and as I was walking I found him, chopping away at some poor bastard's face. I do not think all that blood is Hawk's."

The Doctor arrived and took at look at me and I said, "Look after her first ! Ifin she dies....you die Sawbones !"

"He's in shock ! Goose, help me get this shirt off him so we can check him for bullet holes." Whiskey said. "James, you build a fire for some hot water. Sure the doctor here will need it ! And James....after you're done doing that, take a long drink and go stand gaurd near the back door.....not out side but inside...Got it ?"

"Yes Maam !" James said again.

I remember watching doc working on Josie sewing up her wound, and then he turned to me.

"It was a through and through wound Hawk. I cleaned it as best I could and sewed her wound closed. She will be all right. You, on the other hand I'm not so sure........Thank you Whiskey and Big Goose for taking care of him thus far. I can take it from here." the doc said as he closed the door to Whiskey's room.

"Now then Hawk.........We know when you come to town.........we know when you drink.........and we know when you leave town.....now this," Doc said pointing to my blood covered body, "I have not heard about yet. Now, if you will aloow, I will wash you to see where yoou maybe wounded."

I looked over at Josie, who was awake, holding her shoulder. She whispered, "Let him check you, my beloved." So I sat still untill he touched my still healing wounded back. That's when I grabbed doc's hand.

"He's dead.......Dead as a door nail. Won't be havin' trouble out of him again. He shot her doc. Just short of rape. So, I kilt him good." I said, staring at the floor.

Doc used the new hot water in the basin to clean the blood off my body and face. He was surpised to see, other than the wound on my back that had almost killed me, I was fine. All that blood was from the outlaw I had killed. Doc stood and said, "I'll tell the folks that you and Josie are ok." I nodded, still looking at Josie then turned to doc to say, "Did not mean that killin ya part doc. sorry fer dat." That ole wise sawbones just smiled and said, "I know." then walked out the door.

Whiskey came running up to the doctor with goose right on her heels. "Doctor, how's my kin ?" She said and Goose asks, "Is my friend going to live doctor?"

Sawbones laughs at them both and responds, "You're kin and friend is just fine. Not a drop of his blood was spent. And Josie is just fine as well, thanks for asking. May I check the other girls while I'm here ?"

" Sure doc, go ahead." Whiskey said looking up at Big Goose. "What the hell did he do, Goose ?"

"I heard the shot and went to investigate. That's when I happened on Hawk chopping up this poor lad's face !" Goose said making chopping motions. "It took alot of effort to get him off that outlaw. I assume he is the shooter ?"

"I don't know. I'll ask Hawk and see when.........."

"Miss Whiskey.......these here men say they know y'all !" James had brought in to men, wet to the bone, at rifle point and had dropped thier guns on the floor. Whiskey's and Big Goose's faces lite up when they saw the men where Grizz, and EE Taft.

"Joise, I thought ya whar dead, and dat thought just tore me all up inside. I know I said I aint da marryin kind, but dis has made me rethink dat part. I think, some day, I may marry ya. How's dat ?" I said as I walked over to where she was resting and knelt down to kiss her soft lips. As I neared her lips, I could smell the sweet scent of her hair, and brushed her soft skin of her face with me rough hands. "I'll let ya sleep now, Darlin !" See smiled wide, lookin up at me, she said. "I love ya too Darlin !"

"How Do Fellers ! Lawdy, Am I glad to see ya ! " I said, slipping my clean buckskin shirt I had rolled up in my saddle bag. My Gray shrit had to be hrown out, just too much blood and dust mixed into it. I could see EE and Grizz looking at each other.

"Told ya Grizz, Ole Hawk would still be raisin' hell ! How ya doin' old pard ?" EE asked.

Before I could answer Grizz stuck out his hand, "Heard you got some trouble down here...and as usaul, I decided to come down here into this flat hot land, and give you a hand."

EE spoke up, "We done stabled our horses and pack horses, but there was not any livery man there, so we just did it our selfs. Settle up with him later !"

I pointed to James and said, "He's da one fellers, dat young man wif da rifle trained at yur pravites. James, des here is my friends....ya can lower yur weapon now...."

James lowered his weapon and said to them, "Sorry Gents......Aint takin no changes. Didn't work out so good last time. By da way,..ifin' you be here to help, no charge fer yur animals."

"You must be a Confederate soilder, are you not ?" Grizz said.

"You bet I was !" James said proudly.

"You know how that ended, right ?" Grizz aid smiling. He thought he had pulled a fast one on James, but James was savly and replyed, "Hell we wood have fought y'all wif corn stalks, but y'all wood'nt have any of it !"

We all got a good laugh out of that, even one excpet me, and then I let EE Taft and Grizz know what Maddog did and is about to do. I told them about all his men, how he has my blood in him and broke that scared promise. And how he had one of his men shoot Josie. Grizz hung his head. EE asked, "Hawk, you and this so called man track and kill Santana ?"

"Yup, I tracked Sanatna to his home, then Santana blackmailed me into tracking Maddog down. Maddog and me made up a plan, Maddog would get Santana's money, after I kill him. Then he double crossed me. Said he would kill all da townsfolk and burn dis town to da ground just like he did in Jawja. I could not stood fer dat. So I kilt Santana, and I know it broke da law I swore to up hold but der is sometimes ya gotta follow yur gut. Now y'all can take me in wifout a fight, ifin' yur a mind too." I handed to Grizz, my Dragoons, butt first.

Grizz looked at me and then said, "Put'em away Hawk. You did what you had to do. This I know for true. And we will help you in this fight yet once again."

Josie came walking slowly out Whiskey's room, her shoulder was bandaged up but she had her blouse back one..red spot highly visable.

"Are these men you're friends you spoke of , Darling." Josie said in a some what weaken voice. Grizz got up quickly and gave her his seat.

" Yup, des men are gonna help us save dis town. Dey is gonna help us git Maddog out of dis terriory !" I pulled up some more chairs and Whiskey poured some of her fine homemade whiskey and they sipped it like they would never drink it again."Fellers, he's got bout 30 or so men...all hired guns wif good fast hosses. We are out named and out gunned. But we do have two aces. He wants his burnt out jail down da strett real bad like. Plus he wants my mine dat's near here. And din der's da matter of his daughter, a Chinese girl." I said.

EE Taft lit a ceegar he took from his coat pocket and after a deep draw asked, "So, why aint this Maddog feller attacking y'all now ?"

"Cuz he's afrird to attack us now cuz he thinks evil spirits are moving around at night. He won't let his men attack us nether. I know da evil spirits are der cuz I feel dem too." I aid.

"As do I brother !" Grizz said, while pulling out two ceegars he asked me, "White or Red tonight ?"

I was a Redman a few minutes ago, but now I think I'm more white dan red, Grizz !" Grizz gave me the ceegar, I lit it up and throw deep on it followed but a long drink from my glass. I smiled and then told EE and Grizz how many weapons I think Madog's men had and what kind of weapons I had seen. EE and Grizz wanted to see the burned out jail at the edge of town, so I took them there. I was not comfortable there at night and Grizz could tell.

Then we returned to the Saloon and EE saw the sign swinging outside. "The Hanging Tree Saloon...By God, the last time I saw that sign in was in flames !"

Whiskey spoke up,.."It will not go up in smoke again ! I will die before that happens. The townfolk are gonna fight agasint Maddog's men. I've got his daughter here in my Saloon. He will not dare burn it like he did in Jawja. Naw Sir...I will not do that again !"

Big Goose made his presence know, "Gentleman, allow me to introduce myself.....I am call Big Goose. Grizz, I see you and I are mounation men.....the sooner this is over the better, do you not agree ?"

Grizz, startleted by such fancy talk said, "I do Sir !"

Goose went on. I have been with Hawk to scout out there camp. They are all gambling, and drinking....just like this Saloon with the except of no women. There are six gaurds, and they have sharp eyes too. Now, these gentlemen could not be easyly lured away with the proisme of more money. If any tryed to ride of, Maddog will kill them. "

"Well then'" EE said looking like a child on Christmas eve, "Best get ready for a reception he won't soon forget."

"A few hours before sunup, I'll climb the buff behind the jail. Take my Sharps 45-110 with me. Hawk, you can take my lever action 45-70. You still carrying those old fashioned Dragoons ? Why don't you go more mordern and get you some Colt 45's !" EE said.

"Cause he's killed many a sassy bandit with those dragoons !" Grizz said as the thunder made itself know again and the rain poured down.

I looked out the doors and said, "Gonna be a flash flood somewhars......maybe near Maddog's camp ! We'll see come sunup !" as I took another draw off that ceegar. "Lawdy, I missed dis ! But dat's da white man talkin in ya Hawk....but dis cegar is mighty tastey !"

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Whiskey was sitting in the burned out jail. Goose was high above us in a lean too, I hoped. EE was in the dry goods store. From there he had a good look see on anyone trying to jump us. Grizz was in a storage shed next to the Hanging Tree Saloon. Maddog would never shoot in that direction for fearing for hitting his daughter, if she was she daughter. Maybe his grand child ? We will see soon enuff.

It was raining steady for a few minutes, then stop the next. The clouds over head where like a twister would have popped out at any time. But there was no wind when it wasn't raining. There was mud every where and the puddles have now turned to pools of cold muddy water. And hail stones along with lighting would sometimes fall. "True sign of a twister com in." I thought to myself.

Reaching into my coat pocket, I pulled out some jerky and boiled cornbread balls, and handed them to Whiskey. "Corn dodger ?" I asked her.

Whiskey shook her head, but took the jerky. "Some of 'em have blood on 'em. Don't see why their called corn dodgers. Maybe corn plugs would be more like it !"

I took the cold coffee she offered and drink it. Thought "Aint nothin' woreser din cold coffee !" I must have said it out loud as Whiskey replied "I aint gonna build you no fire....not in this weather !"

"It's alright Darlin. Looks like da fire works are about to start. Lookie der !" I said. "Think my arm is da barrel of a rifle and look der !" I said to her as she followed my arm to it's end.

"That dark figure behind the knoll ?" Whiskey said to me. More like a statement that a question.

"Whart there a minute ago....Dat lighting flash showed me what he was." I said. I jack a 45-70 round into the chamber and waited for the next lighting flash, then BOOOM ! Big Goose had saw it to and beat me to the punch.

"Score a hit, der Goose ?" I called out just as another wave of heavy rain hit.

Goose said, "Can not say for sure, Colonel. Rain is too heavy at this time. Why did they mass for a frontal assault Sir ?"

I made a mental check of the last time my brothers in arms where ordered to make a frontal assault. The company was decimated !

I shouted out, "It's a rouge.....der gonna hit us at da Dry goods store ! And that is where EE Taft was positioned. "EE, yur ready ?"

He replyed, "Ready..Willing..and more than able to send those bastards back to hell where they came from ! Permission to fire at will Colonel ?"

"Since when do ya need my say so ! Ifin it moves...kill it !" Then I turned to Whiskey and a mist the lighting and thunder I said

"Git ready gal. Der gonna try to draw us off dis spot, but we aint gonna leave."

Whiskey leveled her carbine and touched off a round. They had gotten that close. "Not alive Hawk !" she said.

I followed a figure in the rain and fired my 44-40 Henry rifle. I saw the figure grab at his leg. "Damn !" I said as I jacked another round into the chamber and fired. This time the figure went down face first in a pool of muddy water.

I had to be careful as Grizz was peaking out through the door of the storage shed and lining up his shot. I had to be careful not to get hit by friendly fire. I have bee hit by it and I can tell you there is no friendly thing about it.

This is becoming a full blown attack on this town. Much to my surpise, the townsfolk started returning fire. The dry goods store owner was passing out 66's and ammo for each to all the men that could field a weapon. The women learned from me to keep a hot iron in the fire place and to reload. Most of the women had been in the south when that devil Sherman came through. And the men had fought on both sides of the war. Now they where fighting for the same thing again. To keep their town alive.

The rain let up and the wind still had not come up, which was strange to say the least. I remember on battle which stands out in my mind as being strange. Just before the firing of Confederate cannon, the wind stopped and stayed dead calm throughout the battle. About dusk, there was a slight breeze and it blew the smoke and the smell of death away. Enough for the Medical folks to see the dead and dieing, among the wounded. That was the way the wind was here. It would come up in the rain and calm down when it was not raining.

In the mist of the battle, I saw this indian, in his death paint on his face running toward Whiskey. She saw him too, as he was yelling something at the top of his lungs. But Whiskey turned to me what the look "What should I do ?" look.

"Shoot damn it....SHOOT !" I shouted at her. Just as the brave was drawing back his hawk to bash her brains in, Whiskey, EE and me fired at the same time. His body was torn apart.

"What da hell was ya thinking Gal ?" I shouted out at her.

And she shouted back, "Thought he was one of you're kin !" as the rain started up again.

The battle raged on and on it seemed. And now the run off was a river....a river that ran red with blood.

Shot after shot rang out through the rain soaked desert plain. The spring rains had come early this year and that was something Maddog didn't count on. The desert will soon be awash in blue bonnets and pickly pear flowers that fill the air with the sweet smell. But now the desert floor was awash with blood and that was being washed away. Men's like flowed ingot what was dry river beds, now over flowing with the blood tinted water.

Suddenly, I heard this BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM from that outrageous gun that Maddog and built. And it was peppering the hillside where Big Goose had set up. He was doing an effective job at knocking off the outlaws from a distance. Goose knew to fire and then move. He had a near death experience in the war. And that had taught him to fire and then move, just as he was doing now. The gunner under Maddog's employ was shooting at ghosts, but it was effective at keeping the fire off us in the town.

I saw this outlaw trying to put the sneak on Whiskey and me. He was running toward us, using the land as cover. I tracked him in my rifle sights, hoping he would enter a line of fire before he got behind us. I slowly squeezed the tigger and the 45-70 spoke fire and brimstone from the barrel. Then I saw the outlaw slammed back with such force it knocked him out of one of his mule eared boots. His weapon layed in the mud and he was effectively cut in half.

I bumped Whiskey and pointed to the object through the pouring rain. "Got him, Hawk !" she said as her carbine barked death to that outlaw.

Looking around, I saw two outlaws trying to get to Grizz in the shed near the Hanging Tree Saloon. First off, that was the shed where Whiskey kepted her rot gut and her beer for the Saloon. One shot in the right place, it would go up and mostly take us with it. I swung the 45-70 around, but realized it was too powerful for this range. I drew my dragoon and fired, hitting the outlaw in the back. Yeah sure, it was a back shot, but this was a war. In war, if you fight fair you die. Plain and simple. And at the same time the wall of the shed exploded from Grizz's double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. Smiling and tipping his hat to Whiskey, he reloaded it and picked up his 66 and gave cover fire to us.

Then suddenly the firing stopped and a roar could be heard getting closer and closer. And then the outlaws started to run without regard into our line of fire. And fire we did. As fast as we could. Then we froze in our tracks.....a wall of water.....a large flash flood had broke lose from the moutains above and roared down the once dry river bed washing away all things in it's path, including horses and men. The water came to the edge of town and I called out to EE and Whiskey, "RUN ! GIT TO HIGHER GROUND !

EE Taft , Whiskey and me self ran into the dry goods store and watched the flood over take the livery stable, washing away our livestock and overtaking the burnt out jail where Whiskey and I had defended with all our might. I had never seen such a sight, although I had heard about it from my Father. The I snapped out of it, dealing there was still outlaws near by. Take advantage of the lull in the fitting, I said, "Whiskey, take Byrand here and cover da Saloon. Ifin it looks like day are gonna git to ya, fight like hell and save two bullets, one few da Chinese gal and one fer you ! Now off ya go !"

Whiskey was well sit up, Grizz was in her front, and I saw him grinding his teeth. Grizz was mad as hell, that's what he does when he's mad. Saw that with my own eyes when I captured him in the war. When I told him, "Captin'...Captin'......Wake up ! Ya are now a prsioner of war !" he started the grinding of his teeth like he was doing now. As the flood raged on, I heard a familiar voice.......

"Hey Hawk....Ya be heardin' me ?" It was Maddog. Her was here all along !

"I'm heardin' Maddog ! How ya doin ? Semm to be in a bit of a tight spot !" I said to him

Maddog said, "I want to talk.....parlay....face to face !"

I looked at EE and chuckled, "Now Maddog.....remember what I told ya last time when ya double crossed me ? Next time I saw ya I would be forced to kill ya ?"

"Now is that any way to treat an old friend ? Let's stop all this shooting at each other. I've ordered my men to pull back and hold their fire. What ya say, Hawk ?" Maddog said.

"Seems to me we kilted bout all yur men, and what we did not git to da flood washed out !" I said, looking at EE.

EE Taft knew what I was thinking and said, "Don't trust that bastard Hawk. He tried to kill ya twice now. Don't go out there !"

"Aint got no choice now, EE. He offered peace, fer da sake of dise town folks and my friends, I gotta meet up with him. Sides, Goose is still on da bluff covering me. " I said.

I checked both my dragoons, reloading them and stepped out into the muddy street. "Alrat, Maddog ....tell yur boys to hold der fire and we'll parley !"

"Done !" Maddog said. I could here the click, click, click, of a cylinder being turned, as if he was reloading. With that I drew one of my dragoons and rounded the donor. Maddod was standing there, surpized.

"Alrat....I'm here.....Speak ya peace fer I kill ya !" I said.

"Whoa now Hawk ! let's not get excited !" Maddog said. I was watching his gun hand, if he raised it, he was dead and maybe me for that matter. Maddog had a reputation as being fast. And I was not about to find out if that was true.

I watched his every move, every witch, looking for his hand to move. Then, from behind me, I heard this language, it was Chinese ! That Chinese girl had escaped and was splashing throughout the mud toward Maddog with her arms out starched. Whiskey was right behind her, but when she was Maddog there, that close, she shed to a stopped in the muddy street while jacking an unfired cartridge out of her carbine and reloading a new round. Josie was hot on Whiskey's trail, rubbing her head. Now I had double things to look after. I saw this was not going to be my day.

The Chinese girl ran to Maddog, pulling at his gun, and seeming pleading with him in her language, to my surpise Maddog seemed to know. Whiskey had her carbine trained on him, and Josie and her pistol pointed at Maddog as well. Now he had three guns pointed his way, but I had heard stories from a drunk faro player that Maddog had gunned down three men, all at the same time. But drunk faro players are known for lying. So I called Maddog's hand.

"Ok, Maddog....Ya got dat gal fer now. But I know and you know deer's somethin' more ya want, aint der ?" I said, pointing my dragoon at him.

Maddog smiled and said, "You're mine ! I want it and all you're gold ! It would seem to me I now have all the cards, Mister Hawk !"

Now my day just got worse ! And I do not see how it could get any more worse ! "Well now Maddog, I do not see ya holding' all dem cards ! Ya still do not know what it's at. I'm da only one dat knows and I'll be takin' dat to my grave. Not any time soon, Maddog !"

Maddog was about to reply when the rain started again, hard and cold. And my day just got very worse ! The Chinese girl was still pulling on his gun hand. And any time, Maddog could have flung her into the muddy street, but he didn't and I wondered why ? If it was his daughter, that would explain it but it seemed to be something else. Whiskey saw it too. But Josie just wanted to shoot her.........badly !

Maddog spoke up, "Tell ya what Hawk.....I'll make a deal with you. You meet me in the old ghost town just west of here, so know the place, right ?"

Something smelled rotten in this so I said, "Yup, know just whar it is. What's yer point, Maddog ?"

"You meet me there in two days time and I will not kill the Chinese girl ! Knowing how you are a US Marshal, you are required to save her," Maddog said, running his muddy fingers throughout her hair and smiling at her. "Aint that right Marshal Hawk ! ?"

He was like a bur under the saddle and a snake in the grass. That was blackmail and it stuck in my crawl ! "Maddog, Aint gonna believe nothin' comin' out of yur mouth ! Yur white and all white men lie when dealing' wif injun. But I have a duty to protect dem even dem dat do not ask fer protection' ! I'll met ya der Maddog, in two days time but "... I said cocking my dragoon and aiming at his head, "You best be der alone, ya hear......all alone !"

Looking down the barrel of a large loaded pistol held by a man who was madder than forty hell kinda takes the starch out of the man on the business end. Maddog had to agree. He gathered up the Chinese girl and walked away with her throughout the mud and cold rain. I uncocked my dragoon and put it into it hoister. I ginned Goose , Grizz and Taft to come out and Whiskey lead us to the Hanging Tree Saloon. Inside Bottles had a roaring fire in that pot bellied stove for it was glowing red. Whiskey went behind the bar and took out a bottle, no glasses, for each of us.

"I have been in fights in Jawja, but nothing like that ! My God Hawk, what the hell happened ?" Whiskey asked me and then took a long pull off her bottle.

Josie spoke up, "That's just what it is Whiskey, hell....pure and simple, right Hawk ? Or it it Colonel....how bout US Marshal ? Don't care. I was a nurse in the Confederate Army taking care of Lee's men. And I thought I saw it all till now. Saw men die today in a very horrible way, they drown, they where cut in two, they had their guts blown out. Listening to the dieing die was hell and what we went through was near hell enough from me, Whiskey." Josie then walked over to the jar where the cigars where. Whiskey nodded and Josie got a hand full and passed them out. She even took one for herself.

I was getting my wet clothes off and layed them out to dry. I saw everyone looking toward me. I asked, "What ? Ifin' y'all want to stay in dem wet clothes, be my guest. Me, I'm gonna git dry and git some sleep. "

Whiskey asked me, "Hawk, what do you plan to do ? You're not gonna meet Maddog are you ?"

I raised my hat off my eyes and said, "Yup, I plan on meeting him. What choice do I got ? But I shore as hell aint gonna met him alone !"

I awoke to the sun raising and shining throughout the window that was partly closed. The rain had stopped and the townsfolk was out looking at the damage to their town. Their hopes and dreams where build with every nail, every peg. I checked my clothes and they where as dry as if they had been on the line. I had slept in my loin cloth, about the only time I had one on.

Standing up and stiring around, I was at the door, bare chested when I heard Bottles coming up behind me and said, "Got a cup of coffee fer yea, Mr. Hawk. "

Without moving, I said, "Put it on da table, please." Bottles did as I asked so I asked him, as I lit a ceegar, "Yur up mighty early old man...Whar do ya stay ?"

"Miss Whiskey was kind nuff to give me a job and room and found. Aint much, just big nuff fer a bed, wash table and small stove, but it'll do." Bottles said. I knew by the way he talked he had seen his share of hard times but never broke. Like a tree in a wind storm, he would sley. I liked that in a man.

"Tanks Bottles." I said.I took a sip of the hot coffee and Bottles was still behind me.

"Mr. Hawk....Yur goin' out to meet Maddog, aint cha ?" he asked. I knew he was leading up to something, so I answered truthfully.

I turn my head slightly to him and said, "What ifin' I am, Bottles ? What's it to ya ?"

"Not nery a thing. Just don't want ya kilt, dat's all. Miss Whiskey thinks lot of ya, just like y'all was kin. Miss Josie.......well.......She wants to marry ya. And I'd hate to have to plant ya and soil der plans. Dat's all !" Bottles said.

I smiled and said to him, "Yeah, I know. I do not plan on that Bottles. Wood ruin my day to git kilt."

Bottles chuckled a bit and as he walked away he said, "I'll have yur breakfast ready directly Mr. Hawk !"

Josie awoke soon after and asked me, "It's true...what you told Bottles just now ?"

I nodded. "Recon so, Josie. I gotta bring Maddog in. He's gonna swing fer all da killin' he did."

She reached out, took my coffee up, and put a slapsh of whiskey in it, then took a sipp of the coffee and whiskey mix, then took the ceegar out of my mouth and took a hard draw from it.

Josie said to me as she looked out toward town, "Then I'm going with you. Ya may need a extra shot somewhere's. Now don't try to talk me out, cause I'm going with you... If you leave out early, I'll just track you. Now drink you're coffee and here's you're ceegar back."

That truly surpassed me. Never before had a women talked to me that way. Most women feared me because I am a breed, or I didn't have enough money to paid.

"Well, ifin' I can't talk ya out of it, might as well deputize ya. Raise yur right hand and repeat after me, Josie." I sasid all formal like.

She smiled, took my ceegar again and after a long hard pull on it , said, "Nope...Would'nt be legal anyway, Honey !"

To my surpass I found myself asking her, "Why ? You wanted fer something, women ?"

And tugging on my loin cloth said, "Come on Mister....Breakfast is getting cold !"

Folks, Aint gonna post tonight. Thinkin' about heading to bed.

Try to post something tomorrow.

Thanks for reading !

I ate a bite or two, and pulled my clothes back on. They where kinda stiff but in a few moments, where just snug which is the way I liked them. I remember when they where first made for me, that I was told to get them throughly wet and they would dry to fit, just as long as I kepted moving about. And it worked as they have been wet many times since then, but never shrunk.

I eat light , putting some biscuits away in my saddle bag and started to clean all my weapons. I knew two things that where certain. First was Maddog was not coming to the meeting place unarmed. In fact, he mostly would be armed to the teeth. And then, Maddog was not going alone. In that ghost town, which was an old silver mining town, Maddog would have as many men there in as many buildings as possible. I was coming in armed as well and would have as many folks with me as would come. I had not asked yet, but I knew I would get a few takers.

After I finished cleaning my weapons, I loaded them all, and then, I unsaddled my horse. While she stood there, I fished out my battle bridle, as I called it. It was still in the works, but for now it will have to do. It was made of braided horse hair with a few bits of bone, troquies and elk leather while on each side, just below the eye, was an eagle feather on one said and a red-tailed hawk on the other. I then made up some war paint. One red stripe over each eye, along the brow line, and under each eye as well, along the cheek bone. then I painted on two lines running straight down from the cheek bone. These where red and that was the only color I used, although gray and black along with red where used as my sign. And the Apaches of this area knew that sign well. Fainlly, I had one hawk feather in my hair, hanging low.

I walked out of livery and the town went quiet from talk from the towns folk. They had seen me come and go many times, but never like this. I was, in fact, a true Indian. Not a half breed any longer. I was wearing my dragoons and carrying my 60 Henry, which was decorated with brass short nails all along the stock, the sling was removed and an eagle feather tied in it's place. As I walked up to Whiskey, she threw her arms around my neck and hugged me. " How many ?" I whispered to her.

"All of them !" she replied.

I pulled back and nodded to her that I understood and walked toward EE Taft. When I faced him, he put forth his hand and I grasped his forearm. "Be waiting." he whisper to me . Again, I nodded that I understood.

Then I walked over to Big Goose. He shook my hand and replied, "Don't know why, Colonel, but I know you got you're reasons ! God's speed !" he said.

At long last, the showdown was in play between Maddog and myself. I swung up onto my horse's bareback, sitting bolt upright, even though this wound in my back had started to hurt again. And I spurred my horse into a walk, to meet the uncertainty. Who I die, or would Maddog ? We where both coming well heeled with all the manpower we thought we needed to gain the upper hand in this battle. One way or the other, this would be our last fight between one nother !

The mud was very soft as I rode up to the ghost town. I didn't have to look hard for sign, as I could see many in the mud, all shoed, all heading into the ghost town up ahead. I looked the town over closely from this distance. Just out of pistol range but well within rifle range.

"Seems like we are not along, boy." I said to my horse, patting him on the neck. "What say we go pay a social call ?" and nudged my horse forward.

As I did so, I chambered a 44-40 round into my rifle and waited. Maddog was going to have to make the first move. I had found that I could react to a situation better than starting one, which is what Maddog was all about. I rode throughout this ghost town, past the dry goods store, Saloon, sherif's office and the telegraph shop. I could feel eyes bearing down on me, yet I didn't rein up. I rode on until I was almost out of town when I heard it................

"Glad ya could make it Hawk ! Didn't think you had it in ya !" It was Maddog shouting from some place, the words where empty but echoed all over, coming from every building. I sensed this was a true ghost town. And if the whiteman's ghost where here, so where the Apache Spirits.

I reined up, slide off my horse into the mud and replyed, "I am here Maddog ! What do ya want ?" I was trying to pin point where he was. But I didn't need to. I saw a shadow from one of the alley ways, and low and behold, there he was, White hat, White shirt, White pants, and White boots, standing in the brown mud, with his hands ticking the irony handled colt. I judged by his boldness to walk out in the open and face me, that he had a gun in every window and door pointed at me. I knew I was going to die, so I stood straight, rifle at port arms. My feather blowing in the slight breeze. That was Maddog mistake. The town was set so that the street ran north to southeast, no sunlight to blind me with, but the breeze would more the gun smoke toward him, not away from him.

I took my rifle and pointed to the windows and the doors while saying, "See ya did not come alone, like ya agreed to ! Never mind it though. I expected that. Ya see, I aim to kill ya in one minute Maddog or see ya swing in Tucomcarry.........Which will it be ?"

He laughed aloud and said, "Didn't take ya to be such a fool, breed ! This is too easy....Ya got guns pointed at me, don't cha ?" Maddog looked nervous and started looking at the rifles and pistols at the windows and doors. Where they all his ? He could not remember the exact count of men he had hired for this job.

"Make yur call, Dog !" I said, anger in my voice. Jerk dat hawg leg and git ta work !" His hand moved downward and that when all hell broke lose ! Gun fire erupted from the openings of the buildings, at me and at Maddog ! I nelt down on one knee and started firing one round at Maddog, the next where I saw a flash aimed at me. The breeze hadn't changed and the gun smoke was blowing right back into his face. Seeing where Maddog went , I fired a shot that sent splinters wildly flying about. And Maddog yelled out. Then I lined up a shot on the window far from me. I saw a flash from that direction before. I squeezed the trigger of my Henry, felt the slight kickm and that window was slineced for ever. There was gun fire coming from behind me ! My friends had joined the battle !

I had to make it to the boardwalk where there was a drinking thruf and I dove behind it, using it as cover. Maddog made a dash across the muddily street to get a better line of fire on me. I made him dance all the way across ! I felt something behind me , turning, I fired my dragoon and another outlaw met his fate. Maddog had me pinned down now and was setting up for the kill, when I heard a boom, boom,....boom boom from a 12 gauge and Whiskey had pinned him to the wall !

"Hey Amigo.....Hell.......I anit had a belly ache like dis since I was a little boy ! Ahhh......I'm gonna to kill you fer dis belly ache !" one Mexican hombre called out.

I lay flat out and with my dragoon in hand I fired, hitting him in his ankle, knocking him belly down, in front of my waiting dragoon. It spoke and this hombre went to met his maker as well !

After all the fighting in that town, I knew it was time to move the fight to somewhere I could plan to kill Hawk and all those with him. After the flood washed thru the town, I knew just where I could spring my trap. I always knew the best thing to do was to use a man’s weakness against him, and Hawk’s weakness was that although he did not care about himself, he cared about others. When he agreed to meet me in two days, I knew he had just signed his death warrant.

I had two days so setup and get ready, and I did not waste a minute of it. I sent for two more of the coffee-grinder guns and they showed up the day before we were to meet. I did not like the layout of the town and knew the wind could cause me some trouble, but it was not a big deal at I had fought in smoke so thick in the war that you knew to kill everything that made a sound. The key to that fight was to know where your men were and I had them laid out just for this kind of fight. The bad part was I had to be the bait to draw them in, but I was ready for that too. I had a new iron plate set that fit over my head and I could move freely in it and it would stop any pistol or shotgun round, but it was a bit heavy. I could still draw as fast as ever, I knew Hawk would not risk a straight showdown with me. I had no doubt that I could beat him, but I always stacked the odds in my favor. I set up all of my men on the far end of the town so he would have to ride thru most of it to get to me, and I set up dynamite charges in the buildings his people would have to move thru to get to the end of the town. I setup a cross fire with two of the big guns and one at the end of the looking straight down the street. I instructed my men not to shoot Hawk as he rode thru town and to let him come to me. If he wanted a straight showdown, I was going to give it to him. If not, well just kill everybody, blow the town up, set what was left on fire and get out.

The morning of the second day, all was ready and I was ready to be done with this fight. It had cost me two of my oldest friends, more money than I could ever steal back, and one way or another, Hawk and his friends would be dead or I would die today and take as many of them with me as I could. I knew killing his friend would hurt him more than killing him, and I really want to hurt him before I killed him. If I survived, I had all my plans laid out to get away and never be found again. The Japanese girl was waiting for me, and if this worked, I could have a good life with her. Telling Hawk that she was my daughter mostly likely kept her alive, and it was one lie that I was glad it worked.

(Footnote: I bought her from the Chinaman for cash in an earlier post and had told her to never tell anybody the truth about herself so they could not use her against me).

I walked thru the town this morning and everything was ready, I went down to the end of the town and Mathis and Half-Breed Lou were waiting on me.

“Are you sure this is a good idea Maddog? You should have just pulled out after we bushwacked Hawk the first time and took everything back then..”

I looked a Mathis, “If we don’t kill Hawk and his men, they will never stop looking for all of us. I am not going to look over my shoulder wondering when he will shot me in the back. No, this ends today one way or another. Watch for my signal to open up with the big guns, and we will use the men in the windows first. If that does not work, open up with the big guns and kill everything. If some of the men get caught in the crossfire, well they know the risk. If that does not work, then set off the dynamite and get out. After this fight, make you all’s get away and we will meet next spring in the old hideout. Don’t go there before spring, and contact Big Bill if I don’t show up. He is holding enough for us to never work again and will only give it out when the time comes. Good luck to you all and let’s finish this.”

They looked at me. “Good luck and we will see you the spring. Let’s do this”

I walked down to an alley at near the end of the street and waited. The town was deadly silent, as the ghosts knew that the last fight had come to their town. I looked down the street and waited. This is the part I hated, waiting. I heard a horse and I saw Hawk coming up the street holding rifle, I knew this would not be a showdown but a fight. He was dressed as an Indian and I knew he was here to finish this or die trying. Well, I was time to kill him, I just had to stay calm and not loose control.

I called out to Hawk, “Glad ya could make it Hawk ! Didn't think you had it in ya !"

"I am here Maddog ! What do ya want ?"

I took a deep breath, be calm I thought to myself. I had done this many times and this time was going to be no different. I would kill him and his friends and be done with them.

I walked out in front of Hawk so he could see me. I could see my men in position and I could see movement where his friends were working themselves up the street in getting in thier firing positions.

"See ya did not come alone, like ya agreed to ! Never mind it though. I expected that. Ya see, I aim to kill ya in one minute Maddog or see ya swing in Tucomcarry.........Which will it be ?"

I laughed: "Didn't take ya to be such a fool, breed ! This is too easy....Ya got guns pointed at me, don't cha ?"

"Make yur call, Dog !" Hawk said, with anger in voice.

“Oh, Hell” I thought, “I never fought fair before, so why start now.”

I reached for my Colt and everybody opened up firing at me and Hawk. I got a shot off at Hawk and he started shooting at me with his rifle. I went for cover as a handgun is not a good match for a rifle. My rifle and shotgun was in the alley I had come out of and I had rifles setup but I was not close to one. I emptied my Colt at Hawk and ran back across the street.to my rifle and bullets were flying all around me. Hawk dove behind a water trough and started firing and I had a good line of fire on him. I fired my other Colt at him and had good shot line up when the building exploded next to me and buckshot hit the steel plate on my back. I rolled away behind the corner and got my shotgun and fired it toward the person shooting a shotgun.

It was that dam woman, Whiskey Business. Well, if I can get her, I would be happy.

She fired that shotgun again and I grabbed my rifle. I had a clear shot a Hawk if I could just stop her from shooting at me. I pulled a stick of dynamite out of the saddlebags I had full of ammo and lit it and threw it in the middle of the street. It exploded and then Mathis and Half-Breed Lou open up with the big guns spraying lead everywhere. The smoke was so thick nobody could see a thing and I ran up the street and to a building I had setup for a defensive spot. I had a thick wall to hide behind, my 45-70 trapdoor, two loaded 30-30 rifles, two shotguns and lots of ammo. I loaded my Colts and my 44 Marlin and I knew when the smoke cleared, I could kill anything in the town.

All I could do now was wait and listen.

I am not a writer, more of a math sorta person.. But I love stories.. so I wanted to just thank each and everyone of you for this story so far.. its cool.. very cool.. hugs Deja

This fight was just like the attack on Gettysburg. Some, lead was flying all around, mud was raining down from the blue smoke filled sky. Hot lead was whizzing by my head, while others struck the flesh of their own men. The sicking smashing and sucking sounds all at once was the hot lead torn through clothing and flesh. It was sicking to hear !

I ran through the bat winged doors of the Saloon, bullets plowing into the board walk right behind me. "Dos damn guns again !" I said out loud to myself. I watched the smoke moving and tried to see if I could get a shot at Maddog, but I could not see him. "Taking as much fire as he did, I thought, he must have some kind of bullet blocking thing under dat white shirt !"

Seeing a figure running toward the cafe, I stood, resting my rifle on the bat winged door, I lead my target just a bit and fired. The outlaw fell head long into a mud hole. That when I saw the stick of dynimatie flying toward me.

"LOOK OUT !" I shouted and shoved folks back just as it blow. Wood, mud, water spray, and the stunned fighters just stood there. The firing stopped and all eyes was on that large hole in the street. That's when I saw Maddog, hiding behind a think cornor of a building. I knew he was wearing something bullet proof, but that white hat of his was not. I aimed at his hat, thinking that is just about where his head would be and fired. I could not heard him scream, if he did scream, and watched as his hat went flying backward. I didn't know if I hit his head or not, because I took a bullet just then.

It felt like burning hell fire in my shoulder, buryed deep inside, blood spurting out. I grab my hankacheif and started stuffing it in the wound. It was very, very painful. So painful, I cryed out in Apache as I stuffed the hanky in the large hole. First the blood stopped. Then it started to drip out. The drip became a trickle and I knew my life was flowing out on to my muddily boots, still I kepted up the fight. Then I saw Maddog adjusting his armore and I quickly pumped three sounds off into his gut. That's went I heard the voices of my fallen comrades calling me, yet I kepted up the fight.

"Silver Hawk, Son of White Eagle.......Here my words ! Lay down you're lance ! Lay down you're warrior shield ! The young warriors will pick it up. You have fought long enough, Son of White Eagle. Rest now !" I heard this voice, and yet, never saw his face. It was the voice one would dare not disobey. I felt another round tear through my flesh and then nothing. I was shallowed up by cold, quite darkness. I was nether standing, swimming, or standing. Yet, I was moving. Was I going to hell or to meet my ancestors ?

"Shore wish I did not have dat last drink of whiskey. Hate to meet somebody wif whiskey on my breath !" I remember thinking.

I then saw myself in a cool white place, laying on a cool white bed with white sheets. There was whiteness all around and I thought that this maybe heaven and I wanted to have a look see. But I couldn't move and strained with all my might. That when I felt a searing pain course throughout my body. From head to toe, every part was on fire ! I shut my eyes in pain as my Father said to me when I was young, a grown man does not cry. When I opened them again, I was back in the battle and reached for my dragoon but it was not there at my side. Nor was my fighting knife or throwing hawk. All I had was my 1860 Henry. I saw a Blue Boy running across my field of fire and I let the hammer fall, but no shot was fired. I levered again and no shell was ejected. I WAS EMPTY !

He heard my hammer fall among the noise of battle. How was that possible, the cannon fire, the exploring shells, the firing of muskies and pistols, the crying and screaming. The sicking smell of blood and dieting and death. This blue boy heard my hammer fall over all this and came charging at me, his bannet pointed at my head. I could not move and yet I had to, to save my life. Then the pain all over again. I tried to scream out in pain, but my Father's words where ringing in my ears. When I opened my eyes again, I was in a dark place, and damp. I once again, could not move. I smelled Mother Earth all around me and then I realized, I was buried deep in the ground. The pain I felt was the worms eating away at my flesh.

Then I saw my Father and my Grand Father and Mother. Mother was sweeping the dirt floor and Father and Grand Father where talking about something. I saw they where all young and I saw a small child. I liked to sit at there feet, listen to the stories my Grand Father told of the by gone days. The days of a truce between us and the Sioux, so we could hunt the buffalo. I heard my Father talk about raids agsint the white man. Mother was jealous of the white women captive, be I was afraid of their looks at me. A Indian boy with blue eyes starting up at them. They made me very afraid and my Father looked down and said to me, "Son, a man does not cry !" I reached out to touch them and I felt the most intense pain I had ever felt. I squeezed ny eyes shut tight asginst the pain.

I heard this calming voice of a man. The strong voice one would dare not disobey. I was shaking now and that was a first for me. I was showing my fear and that made me angry. But the voice knew I was angry and he said to me, "Sliver Hawk,...Son of White Eagle. Of the Wolf clan. Listen to me and hear my words ! Heed them and you may enter. Heed them not, and you will surely parish !" I strained to listen, but the man's would not speak again. So I tried to speak and had trouble doing so, but I managed. "Creator, He who made everything ! Please tell me, why have you have put me through all dis pain and sufferin' ! Am I no better da a wild bore to be slaughtered and feasted upon ? Creator, I ..................."

That's when I saw an angel in the flesh. She smelt like the summer breeze after a rain. Even though it was painful, I reached out and touched her silky smooth skin of her hand. It was soft as a baby's behind, yet tough as nails. Her dress was a long blown, but as I opened my eyes, I saw she was wearing a blue and white dress, straw hat with a blue ribbon around it. The soft skin I felt was a elbow length glove, and she had a shotgun layer over her shoulder, broke open. I saw an outlaw coming for her and I tried to shout out to warn her but nothing came out of my mouth. I tried in vain to move her out of the way. Then I saw myself looking down at me, like I was a spirit or something. I saw Josie weeping and all the other wiping a tear away. And then a stabbing burning white hot pain raging through my body. Then I could hear the final shots of the battle being fired. The final crys of the dieing.

"I think I got the bullet out, but it was chewed up pretty good. Right close to a major vein, but like I said I think I got it all. He'll need a lot of rest because he's lost a lot of blood. Try to keep Hawk off his feet for a while. But knowing him like I do, that will be a full time job !" the Doc said to Josie. And I heard her say, "Sawbones, he'll behave even if I have to shoot him myself !" I signaled Josie to come near me and whispers, "Water".

She got me some clean water in a glass and I drank slowly. It was so cool to my dry throat. I drank deeply.

"Whoa now Darlin' " Josie said as she took the glass away from my lips. "Glad to see you back among the living !"

I strained to talk but said, "Good to be back. Whar's da others ? Did they make it ?"

"Sawbones is with them now. Whiskey and EE where hit. Not bad through. Grizz and Goose made it through without a scratch." Josie whispered to me. "Rest now Darlin'."

I shook my head no and it hurt so bad to do so. "Bring me Goose, please." I said. Josie nodded, kissed my tired lips and off she went. It was not long until I could hear the footfalls of a big man.

The door flew open and a huge shadow came to me. As gentle as a father handling his new born baby for the first time, Goose knelt down and whispered, "I am here, Colonel !"

"Track Maddog. Think I hit 'em. Ifin Whiskey and EE caught up to ya, help 'em !" I said.

"It shall be done, Colonel." Goose said. And with that he backed out and the door closed behind him.

The days where growing longer and hotter, and still no word from Whiskey, EE or the rest. I knew they had gone off to track Maddog and leave Grizz with me, just in case Maddog doubled back. I highly doubted that because as I replayed the events of last month in my head, I clearly remembering hearing Maddog scream and grab his head. The bullet did not kill him or his body would have been found by now. So Maddog made it through the fight and been having shot in the head, was able to hide close by for a while or steal a horse and high tail it out of the territory.

With help, I was out of bed and sitting on the board walk in front of the Hanging Tree Saloon. Now, Josie was making sure I did not want for nothing. And she sure as hell did not want me out of the bed and walking around a smokey Saloon, without help. I would not use a crutch or one of them new fangled wheel chairs, as they where called. Josie was a regular nurse with me. She rolled my cigarettes, but when it came to ceegars, drinking whiskey and plain faro, she put her foot down. But I sucked it up and put my big foot down also. And I drank, smoked and played faro with the Sawbones who patched me up, to his dismay.

I was healing and still no word from the others. I had to be patient and wait. But it worried me to think they have been gone so long. One day Grizz walked by and placed one of his colts in my lap, and I quickly covered it with the blanket I had on my legs. He motioned to the bat winged doors, walked one of the men who was involed in the gun battle a few months later. He walked up to the bar, taking off his gloves and ordered a drink. He stood the, sipping it and then he walked toward me, eyes where the eyes of a demon. As he got to me, his hand went for his weapon, but I beat him. So did Grizz. And so did Josie. I looked into those demon eyes and with a smile I said, "Friend, aint got no quarl wif ya. But ifin' ya skin dat hog leg, I'll have a problem. And so will ya. Der's tree guns on ya rat now."

"That's right, Friend. Maybe I should arrest you and see if I could paper on you. Or maybe I should just shoot you dead right where you stand !" Grizz said. I could see he was getting more angry by the minute.

"Let me blow his head off Grizz....I'll clean up the mess, I swear !" Josie said. I could tell she was more angry then Grizz, so I had to do something to defuse this.

I stood up gently and stood up and while stepping toward him, I reached for the pistol on his hip, withdrawing it from it's holster, throwing it on the faro table. I tossed Grizz's colt on the table beside it and said, "Ya think ya got guts,...well do ya young man ? I'll sure ya yur guts ifin' ya want me to. I'll cut ya into wif dat colt at dis distance. Now...pick pu dat hog leg and start working' or walk out dat door, find yur hoss and ride out. Now harm done here yet. Leave yur gun and walk out like a man and alive. What's it gonna be sonny ?"

He nodded to me and said, "Thank Ya !" and walked out and I heard he ride off fast. He didn't even bother to look at the other two guns pointed at him. Just as well, I have had nuff killin' to last a live time. Serveral life times over. About that time my friends came back into town and walked into the Saloon.

"Bottles, I'll pay for der drink !" I shouted from across the room. They lifted their glasses to each other and then to me. Josie helped me to our table. The same table where we all met. It was Big Goose who spoke first.

"Colonel, I tracked Maddog as far as I could. The blood trail soon ran out, and the horse tracks as well. I asked the local Indian tribes if they had seen him. They all said no......all but one tribe. They told me they saw him heading north. Sir, I lost track of him after that. The trail had gone cold and I lost him. "

I knew Big Goose would track someone to the ends of the earth, he used his wits in tracking. I had taught him some and he had taught me some as well. I put my hand on his shoulder and said to him, "Drink up, ya did da best ya could. Can't ask fer more."

Whiskey looked at me and asked, "How you doing Hawk ? And what the hell are you doing drinking ? I thought the Doc.........."

That's when Josie cut in. "He was, but he is hard headed as a mule ! I tried to tell him but you know Hawk !" Josie had her hands on her hips and was mad as a wet setting hen. And so damn cute when she was mad ! Best be sure I did not tell her that !

EE reached for the bottle and poured himself another drink and said "Hawk knows how to take care of himself. He didn't get as old as he is by being stupid !" He lifted his glass and winked at me. He had just got me out of a tag team bout. For that, I was very grateful. We all sat round and talked till the morning light. We remembered things and told tall tales about each other. We laughed and talked and drank till sun up. Then we all parted ways, keeping a sharp eye out for Maddog or any of his hired killers. We agreed to meet back at the Hanging Tree Saloon in a years time, if we where still alive.

Me and Josie, after a few months on the mend, went back to west Texas, and with a few breeding cattle I bought from a local rancher, I started my own beef ranch. I made a treaty with the Apache for beef when they need it. I even went so far as to make a brand for it. Two rattlers, crawling side by side. I put that brand on my cattle and the door posts to my home and the posts of the corral and feeder pen. I still had to deal with my demons. I still had scars,both on my body and mind, that where painful. But Josie was always ran by my side. And after 51 years together, she's never lift my side.

THE END !

Archived