SASS Wire Forum

Lone Rider

Apache Hawk 60642

This mountain man was a big as a mountain but could move like a big cat. Well over six foot, bout 250 pounds of prue muscle, very bread, and loaded to the hilt with weapons. His colthing was that of a trapper, but his shooting was that of a sharp shooter.

"Miss Whiskey, I'll make you a small fire to warm you're self by. It'll be small nuff that those men hunting you would be able to see it." Big Goose said.

Whiskey, who was very interested, walked over to him and asked, "Just how are you gonna that ? Everything is wet."

I told Whiskey to watch and learn, so that's what she did.

We soon had a small smokless fire going, not enough to cook on, but enough to keep warm. I reloaded my dragoons and kepted pacing back and forth, looking out over the plains. "Des men had a girl...a Southern girl.....I aint gonna let dat happen ........not again !" I thought.

I started having flashbacks to the war. The smells,..the screams of the wounded,...the deafing sounds of the silence of the dead.....cannon and musket and rifle fire. The bullets bouncing off rocks and stone walls, while I was scared, I would not admit to it. "Hold da line men......Hold da line ! Our homes are at stake.....Give dem Federals what fer !" I shouted out and Big Goose and Whiskey looked at me. But I didn't se them. To me, I was the only one here.

I wrote out an order on some paper, "Raise cannon ten degress.....five scound fuse....full charge......Fire over our heads....and gave it to my messaging rider. Only the cannon officer could not read the wet paper and fired right into our lines ! We where being killed by our own forces ! I shouted and screamed at them that they where firing on the wrong position, then another shell bust in front of me, then one of my men pulled me back over the wall before the Yankees could get a shot off at me. But that brave man lost his life saving mine. He should have looked after his on life.

I snapped out of it when I felt Big Goose's hand on my shoulder. "You somewhere to where you don't need to be Hawk ? Share my pipe fer a while. I'll take first watch ."

I threw a blanket around me and sat next to the fire and Whiskey came up the some jerky in one hand and the bottle in the other. "You know these men and you know where they are goning to earth, don't you Hawk ?"

I didn't say a word, just pulled on a peice of jerky and then pulled the cork out of the bottle and had a drink. Without looking at Whiskey, I said, "Yup.....Going after Rose.....need you here to keep the camp safe." You could have hear a pin drop.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawk, Why don't you take Miss Whiskey here with ya ? I can keep watch on the camp here. Pick'em off at a far distance...they'll think twice about hitting here." Big Goose said.

I nodded yes and said, "Saddle up and let's ride Whiskey. It's gonna be hard ridin'. No fires, not much sleep, no food expect jerky and hard tack. And whiskey. Can ya handle dat ?" I asked.

"Yup, I can handle that, and much more !" Whiskey said.

To which I replyed, "You just may see much more before this thing is done ! Now, let's ride !"

We rode out of camp, following a barely visible trail. I knew the differance of the hoof print of a white man on horse back and a red man on horse back. I saw tracks of both. Whiskey asked, "Hawk....How can you see things others can't ?"

I should her... "Look how the brown grass is differant din the others. Been riders through here. Look at dem rocks, look how da rocks is chiped just a bit....that's a white man's hoss. Look how da land is distrubered. Ether, alot of injuns riding after the whites, or a lot of dem big shagges roaming through. I think injuns."

Whiskey was amazed at how I could see thoughs things, but she was a fast learner and caught on quick. "Hawk," she said, "I think they broke off here....about three of them while the rest of them rode on."

"I'll check it out, Whiskey. Meet me on the far side of dis canyon. And watch yur back trail !" I said as I spured my horse onward.

I knew what I was going to find and I wanted to share Whiskey from the horrors of what des devil men would do. As I got deep inot the canyon, I found what I dreaded. The was Rose...She had been torchord, beaten beyound recongition, colths gone, raped, her throat cut and scalped. I reined up and dug a shollow grave, wrapped her in my Confederate Colonel coat, and buryed her. Then I said a few words over her grave, and swore I would kill her killers very slowly, like they had done to her.

Then I mounted up, wiped a tear off my face and rode out to meet up with Whiskey. She said to me, upon meeting me, "Looks like that bunch that broke off rejoined the group here." she said. She was quite proud of her ablities and smiled, and said, "Why did they brake off like that, Hawk?"

I just could not take any more misery, and I silde off my horse, and took out my fighting knife and starting to dig. Whiskey came up with her canteen with some water. I drink from it as wiped my eyes. "Why did the break off like that Hawk ?" she asked.

I looked at Whiskey with fire in my eyes and said, "Deep in yur heart, you know why. As long as you live, do not ask me more !" She looked surpised at me for she had never seen this side of me before. I was determened to fight evil with evil. To show these men no quarter at all. And to bring back their scalps !

When rode on through the day and night, not saying a word to each other. I was hell bent to see justice done, not matter what. Then we came upon a camp of men, drinking, drunk, and hollaring.

"Grab you're carbine. Set up some where here." I said, pointing to the little pile of rocks. "And get ready to raise hell.....if it moves......kill it ! Got it ?" I said.

She nodded yes. "I'll go scout out da camp, but I will be back. Come hell or high water, I'll be back !" I said and slipped over the raise and down the camp. I looked around and saw they must have been drunk when they choose their camp. In a horseshoe canyon, high walls of rock to their back, me and Whiskey in their front. I saw the white man, drunk out of his mind, wearing Rose's top. I went high order in a heart beat and return to Whiskey.

"Let'em have it Whiskey Girl, but da white man with da blouse it mine !" I said. I had my 1860 Henry and leved it out and fired till it was empty. Each time I fired, I saw blood. I don't know if they where alive or dead, and I didn't care. Each time Whiskey fired a man dropped, dead. Both she and I un-loaded my rifle and her carbine as they charged us at least three times. By the time the fire fight was over, all in the camp was moaning, ether wounded or dead.

As the sun was dropping below the canyon rim as I walked in, my dragoons out and cocked. i found as few men left alive and told them to make peace with ther makers before I put the finishing round into their heads.I found the man wearing Rose's blouse and I took it off him, and to my surpise, he was still alive. I stood over him, reloading my dragoons when he said, " know who you are ! Don't think you where real !" he said trying to set up. I put my boot on his chest, and said, "I'm as real as any demon can be !" and emptyed my dragoon into his head. The shlater skull made the scapling alot easier.

Whiskey had my back, walking among the dead and fininshing off the dieing. When we met up again, I said, "Gether up all the ammo that we need and put it in our saddlebags."

Whiskey pointed to the scalp and asked, "You really need that thing ?"

I nodded yes and said....."It have very much power......da scalp of my enemy !"

Whiskey and me, headed toward the west....home of all things bad, as the Apache lore goes. I place Rose with her face looking toward the sun....a new day. Her arms where crossed and her feet pointed to the west. I had seen alot of bad things in my life, but the killing and scalping of Rose was a torrment for me. If I had just left my camp at the mine, maybe she would still be alive.

Whiskey saw I was in deep thought and broke the silence and said, "Hawk, I know you said not to ask, but I have to know. I liked her alot too." I shallowed hard and sifted in my saddle and acted as if I didn't hear her. "Still looking for sign, Hawk ?" Whiskey asked.

"Nope, done went and found some sign !" I said and pointed at some tracks. Whiskey saw them too. They seemed to be heading southwest for a while. I reigned up and look puzzled at the tracks. "Why would the tracks be so easy to read ?" I asked myself. Maybe I was asking out loud and Whiskey answered, "Maybe this will lead to a trap ?"

I was surpised at how well Whiskey was starting to think......like someone who has been in the military. We came to a stream and with some green grass, we let our horses drink and eat. As they where doing that, I wiped down my rifle and dragoons. When I was done with that, I squated down by the stream, chewing on a blade of green, listening to the horses munching away

"Hawk....I've got to know.............." It was then I cut Whiskey off and said, "Dem basters had gone and done raped her a few times, cut her throat and din scalped her,.....tryin to make it look like injuns done it. I wrapped her in my Reb coat and buryed her where I found her. Whiskey, she was a daughter I never had !"

Whiskey went to her saddle bag and pulled out a bottle, pulling the cork out, she handed the bottle to me. I put up my hand as if to say no, but Whiskey pushed my hand down and said, "We both need this Hawk ! Here's to Rose. May she rest in peace !"

She took a sipp and handed the bottle to me and I took a long pull, finishing the bottle off. "Rose will not rest till I kill all of Maddog's men, din I'll go after him !" I tossed the bottle aside and prayed Mother Earth forgive me for doing so and to my surpise, Whiskey went into her other saddle bag and took out another bottle !

"Why...By Gawd Girl, you got a Saloon in der ?" I asked with a smile on my face.

Well, let's just say, where there a will, there's drinking !" Whiskey said. She got her reins and horse and asked, "You ready to ride ?"

I got my horse too, and swung up into the saddle and said, "Back to camp where Big Goose is."

Whiskey frowned and asked, "You not going after these men ? The tracks are so plain to see !"

"Dat's just it.....way to east to track. There der to throw us off. Best head back to camp and quick like !" I said.

Whiskey nodded and we ran our horses most of the way back and then walked them some too. That's when we heard the gun fire.

It was Big Goose firing his big bore Sharps 45-110. Each and every time, it spoke out, a man would fall or cry out in pain and disbeilf !

We stopped short, and left our horses and I said to Whiskey....."Circle round Goose's right flank and cut loose on those men ! I'll circle around to his left flank and then we'll have dem some bicths in a horse shoe and dell have to with draw or die. I like the last one. Take a box of ammo with ya.....dis is gonna take awhile.

Whiskey didn't say a word, just smiled and got her carbine and two boxed of 38's, looking at me and smiling said, "Give'em hell Hawk !"

I looked up ay her and said, "Nope.....gonna show'em how to git der ! Now ......git !"

I worked my way around on Big Goose's left and that when he saw me. I somehow by sign, told him where Whiskey was. Goose nodded and al three of us went to work. I fired my 1860 Henry and watched my targets head expoled into a fine mist of red, white, and gray. Those outlaws wheeled, thinking I was Goose and returned fire, bullets bouncing off the hard ground. That's when Big Goose fired again sending his target to meet it's maker. The no sooner that Big Goose's report faded, Whiskey cut loose with her carbine.

Her round finding it's mark, stopping the men dead in his tracks. Because Whiskey was using a carbine, she had to be much closer than with a rifle, so the bad guys started to rush her postion, but Goose would cut them down. And soon those men left alive high tailed it out of there and back to Maddog to report or if they where wise, to parts unknown.

When me and Whiskey got to camp with Big Goose, he stuck that big hand out to me and said, "Mighty glad to see y'all may it !" and he stuck his bear like paw out to Whiskey and said, "Welcome back !"

All three of us went to walk among the dead. I didn't know any of them, but Big Goose did. "I know this feller" he said, reaching down and grabbibg him by the collar. "Got paper on him. And this one too. Horse theif he is !" Suddenly Goose grabbed my forearm and said, "Rose is dead, aint she ?"

I nodded yes, she was. Big Goose stopped in his tracks, knelt on one knee and removed his hat. I saw his lips moving in sliant prayer. "Hawk, did yoou do to then what they did to her ?" he asked. "Yup....and din some." Big Goose nodded again. "Sreves them right then !"

Whiskey was busy putting camp together as best she could and when she had a little fire going, Goose came up to it and added some more wood. "Won't the other men see the flames ?" she asked Big Goose. I spoke up and said, "I hope so !"

I walked over to the packhorse and took out some boxes of 44-40's and two boxes of 12 gague shotshells. I hoped the outlaws could not get close enough to use the scatter gun, but with each shell loaded with seven pellets of 00 buckshot, it sure was a comforting feeling. And speaking of comforting, I hadn't been so to Whiskey over Rose's death. She needed a shoulder to lean on, cause Whiskey took her under her wing, and taught Rose how to be civilized. Now Whiskey needed a shoulder to cry on, although she'll need admit to it. And I had more pressing things on my mind. REVENGE !

I was lost in thought when I over heard Whiskey asking Big Goose, "Why to the folks call Hawk, the Ghostrider ? Is it for what he did in the war ?"

Goose stired the fire and added another small log. "It all started long before the war with Texas independance from Mexico. He was down right evil to the raiding Mexicanios. "Los Diablos Tejanos" which meant that all the Mexican Army and citizens where terrified of him. Just his presence would stop battled before they had begaun. And when the fight was on, Hawk went riding through the Mexican lines, slashing with his sword, and shooting all with in range. When the War of Northern Aggretion broke, he rode for J.E.B. Stwart, behind enemy lines. He would hit they're supply lines, take what he thought the Army of Northern Virginia needed, and no captives or dead left behind."

"Los Diablos Tejanos"........been a while since I heard that. And it brought back memories that I rather not remember. That's the way it is with war, and that's what I've been fighting most of my life. But I couldn't think about that now. Bad men needed killing. Then and only then I could deal with Maddog.

"See any movement out der, Goose ?" I asked, as I carryed up a cup of coffee.

Big Goose shook his head, "Nope, not yet. But they are there. That's for shore."

Whiskey called us in for supper she had fixed. We all ate, made small talk, and took turns standing watch. I looked on while Whiskey cleaned her carbine she had used bravely back at the canyon.

"Whiskey, I want to thank fer savin my stinkin' hide back in dat canyon. Dis aint easy fer me to say, but, Thank ya kindley !" I said sleepishly.

"Is it true, Hawk......Los Diablos Tejanos ? I remember hearing of some one like that before. And I feared that person....Is this person you, Hawk ?" Whiskey asked.

"Afeard so Whiskey Darlin. But dat was a long time ago. Dat man's no longer alive." I said to her.

I had stepped into her trap. She looked at me and said, "Too damn bad....Could use him right about now."

"Hawk....you need to see this !" Big Goose said.

I ran over to where he was watching. He handed me his spy glass and pointed....."Look there, men riding this way."

I looked to where Goose pointed and I could make out four men,....no wait six men riding our way. They where going slow, almost like they have been fighting something or some one all day. They stopped just a mile away from our camp.

"What are they waiting for Hawk......Goose.....What's going on ?" Whiskey asked.

"Those men down der......dey be waitin' to die. Dey've rode and fought injuns till dey aint got none left in'em." I said with a sigh.

Come dawn, all that was left was a wounded horse, a few arrows in it. I reined up, took my fighting knife out and shoved it deep into it's heart. I put my finger to my lips and make a be quiet sound. I made sign that the ijuns where near by, looking for us. I signed we should dismount and walk our horses and walk lightly to boot.

We had walked about a mile, then suddenly I motioned to the canyon closed to us. We ran, leading our horses to the canyon. Staying near the top of the canyon but just below the rim and on a goat path, I covered my horse's nostrals to keep it quiet and Whiskey and Big Goose did the same.

Then we waited. But we didn't have long to wait. As the morning light cast shadows, I saw eight injuns ride past, looking for sign. They had been out scouting for buafflo and had fallen upon our tracks and now they where searching for us. We waited for what seemed like hours for them to left the area. But at last, they left.

I could not understand what was being said, but they moved off, ever so slowly. I waited a few moments, then walked out of the rim of the canyon. Big Goose knew what I was thinking, so he looked at me and then off he went.

We walked and then rode for a spell and then Whiskey asked, "Where did Big Goose go ?"

And I replyed, "He's off trackin' dem injuns." I looked around and found as good a camp site, as I could find on the flat plain. It was full of scrub brush and mesquite. No water, but we did have some in our canteens and some buffalo chips to build a small fire.

I saw the worryed look on Whiskey's face and asked, "You worryed bout dat big man, aint cha ?" She nodded that she was. "Don't bout Goose, Whiskey. He can handle himself. I've seen him come out of many a crap storm smellin' like a ...........Well, you know what I mean."

"Hawk, you really did all that stuff Big Goose said you did ? I mean....back then I would have shoot you dead as to look at cha !" Whiskey said.

"Yup, I did. Aint proud of it but I can't change it. And you would have shot me, ifin' you could !" I said, with a small smile on my face.

Whiskey got angery and stormed over to me but I cut her short and pointed out onto the plain. "Look Whiskey......He comes !"

In a few mintues Big Goose came running up to the camp. He had been runing for miles and was not out of breath. "Those injuns caught up to some buffalo and now they're happy and feeding the tribe." He saw the small fire behind me and said, "Oh, good......I'm freezing !" Goose had kept an eye on those hostiles through rain and wind and was now shivering. But a shoy of whiskey and a blanket and siting by the fire fixed that.

"I expect to be safe here till mornin'. Din, we head back south into AZ. Goin' back to da Hangin' Tree Saloon and proper resupply. No need to visit Grizz's ranch any longer." I said to Whiskey and Big Goose. Big Goose nodded yes and Whiskey spoke up.

"Think my Saloon will still be standin, cause I was burned out of Atlanta, I WILL NOT BE BURNED OUT AGAIN !" Whiskey shouted at me.

I said, "Whoa Whiskey Girl, don't git yur dander up till you see it ! Maybe it's still standin'...ifin' so, din fine...ifin' not......"

Whiskey cut me off........."There'll be hell to pay, I promise !"

We started out in the early morning, and we rode till almost nightfall. When we finished making camp, I said, "Think I go out and see ifin' I can pick off some prairie chickens fer supper."

For some reason I took my bow and quiver full of arrows. I got three of those little birds and went I got near the camp, I saw Whiskey and Big Goose in a picthed battle with some outlaws.

Whiskey was firing her carbine like mad. Each and every shot, a man fell or screamed out in pain. I watched as she emptyed it and drew her Peacemakers and kept on firing. Goose could not use his buffalo rifle as the outlaws had him pinned down. But he was cutting loose with his Remington Armies. I couldn't beleive I had missed the tracks !

I worked my way up as close as I could, as I heard Whiskey yelling at the outlaws, "Come on, somebitchs,..Come on and get some !" I drew my bow and lined up my shot and let my arrow fly. In one side of the head and out the other. I had hit them from behind. The outlaw fell into a quivering heap.

I retrived my arrow and moved closer still. I lined up my shot, hitting my target square in his chest. As I advanced on the outlaws even more, watching Big Goose and Whiskey firing and yelling . I lined up my shot, then a bullet hit the dirt in front of me. I did not move, but let my arrow fly and stiking the outlaw in the tharot. I saw an outlaw running toward Whiskey with her back turned. I threw my hawk, striking the outlaw square in the back.

The battle was done and we where still alive, but at least a dozen men lay dead. "Looks like hired hands to me. Didn't know what they where getting into here, Hawk ." Goose said to me.

I nodded my aproval and looked at Whiskey. She was breathing hard and shaking and yet smiling. "Showed those bastards how a women can shoot from Jawja !"

I tied my chickens together, slung them over my saddle with my scalps and said to Whiskey and Big Goose, "Let's leave dis place. Too many evil spirits walkin here !" We rode till nigh on midnight before stopping and mading a crude camp.

We all had a fitful sleep that night.

I saw how Whiskey and Big Goose looked worse for wear, so we made a proper camp and rested for a few days. It seemed to agree with them both.

We set up a lean to and bulit a fire just outside of it. Had a dutch oven and such out there. The lean to was fine, but there was a strong storm coming and we could not get out of the way.

I was looking at the sky when Goose walked up. "How long ya figger for it hits, Hawk ?"

I shurrged and said, "Day or two. Looks like it's gonna be a bad one too."

Whiskey came over, reholistering one of her Peacemakers. She had been cleaning it. "Can't we just get out of the way ?"

I shook my head "Nope...too wide and movin' too quick. Best just set it out here Whiskey. "

"I'll check da horses and tie lines, Goose, best go find somethin' like game to eat. Biscuits and gravy will only go so far. And Whiskey Darlin', you got first watch. I'll spell ya later."

Whiskey took up a postion by the lean to. Goose went out to get something to eat and I checked the horses. Lines where tight, reins tied snug, and plenty of feed on the ground. I built a fire as Goose returned with some wild turkey and we cooked them up.

Goose carryed over a plate to Whiskey and said "I'll spell ya for a while. Here....it's turkey. Go eat, get warm."

Whiskey took the plate and smiled at Goose and walked back toward I was eatting. She sit down, took a bite of the bird and said to me, "Hawk,...I thought I knew you pretty well. With all this Ghostrider and this Los Diablos Tejanos busness, I don't know what to think any more." Whiskey looked at me and her eyes cut right through me. "Is there more to come, Hawk ?"

I sat my plate down and got the whiskey bottle, poured some in my coffee cup and she put forth her cup also., "Whiskey, I did not mean to deceve you. What happened din was way back in time. I thought I had buryed him good and deep. But each time, I git into a fight, he comes ragin' up. Sometime ago, I felt dat same rage agin dem Federal boys. When dem capperbaggers came to Texas, I felt it and now when I think of Maddog and what he did to you, I feel it. He has hurt my kin, and for dat, he's gonna pay......dearly !"

Whiskey just sat there, hanging on each word and then said, "So I can expect more of this right, Hawk ?"

I said, "Yes, I spect so."

"Well, at least I know what to watch for." And she smiled at me, for the first time in days. "Just when you feel that rage coming on, give'em hell !" and then stuck out her cup again.

The storm struck with all it's strengh and might. Wind, and lighting, rain coming down in sheets and then almost stopping, but then start up again. Big Goose came back to the lean to where we now had a small fire going.

"Aint fit for man or beast out there, Hawk. Nobody gonna attack us in this weather !" Goose said. I was inclined to agree.

The storm lasted two whole days. We passed the time by talking, playing cards and singing songs. I almost lost my buckskin shirt ot Whiskey. She's one mean porker player. And Big Goose could sing. When he broke out with Dixie, we all stood up and gave the Rebel Yell ! All in all it was a good storm !

But in the storm, the horses broke loose and ran off. I took it upon myself to find them. After all, I was in charge of the horses. I took the one horse that didn't run off and went out tracking the rest. It didn't take me long to find them. They where grazing and was near water so they could have stayed there all week wihout wondering too far.

Big Goose and Whiskey was breaking camp and then I rode up on the camp, with the horses in the lead, at a gentle cantor. Big Goose threw Whiskey an elbow and said, "Look there Whiskey. Hawk shore can cowboy !"

"Yup, he sure can !" Whiskey said, with a big ole grin on her face. "Never seen him like this before. It's like he's at home here."

Goose looked at Whiskey and said, "That's cause he is, Whiskey !"

We tied our horses good and tight and went into the learn to for breakfast. Hot cakes, bacon, fresh picked blueberry suryp, and hot fresh coffee, all made by Big Goose. Not only could he trap, and shoot, he could cook too ! We all ate our full and then rested, cause we had eaten so much.

Later after a good nap early in the morning, we broke camp and saddled up. While doing so, Whiskey looked over at me and asked, "Where to now, Hawk ?"

I looked at her and then Big Goose. "I'm tired of runnin' like some hunted animal....I plan on takin' da fight to Maddog. I'm planni' on ridi' back to da Hangin' Tree Saloon and see ifin' I can pick up Maddog's trail. Y'all can come, ifin yur a mind to, but ifin' ya don't, no hard feelins."

Whiskey and Big Goose where in their saddles before me saying, "Come on then, let's ride !"

It seemed we where a very long way from the Hanging Tree...even for an Apache, but the ride to the Saloon went uneventfull. Although I could see Whiskey's mind working, she must have been worryed not about her Saloon. It was just a building. But about the folks in her employ. I thought, "Dat's somethin' I'll deal with !"

We rode into what is some what of a town, setting on pins and needles. Each shadow and each door, each window had a gun leved at us. I could feel Los Diablos Tejanos rising up. I tie up my horse as did Whiskey and Big Goose, and said,

"Whiskey...you will not like what you see, or how you see me, but it needs to be done. I'm sorry ifin' dis makes you mad and you can tell me to git out of yur Saloon, but it's gotta be done !" I said, in the most sinceriest voice as I could muster.

Whiskey then adjusted her Peacemakers and stepped on the boardwalk and said, "Ok Hawk...Let's raise some hell then !"

Big Goose go his buffalo rilfe and his New Army pistol tucked into his belt and just smiled at us both. We where in agreement then.

We walked inside the Hanging tree Saloon and for this time of day, it was packed. The smoke was thick and there was laughter and the likker flowed freely. "Now dis is my kinda place !" I said.

"Glad you aprrove, Hawk ! How bout you Goose....you approve ?" Whiskey asked.

"I do so" he growled, "but he don't !"

There where two large men walking up to us at the batwing doors. "Who are ya and what do you want ?" the feller with the scare face asked. To which Whiskey said, pulling her Peacemaker , "I own this place. Now, if you value what little brains you have, you'll step aside and let me and my freinds pass......unharmed. Got it ?"

Scare face nodded he understood and Whiskey backed him to the bar

"Howdy Boss ! Good to see ya back in one peice !" Vern said with this ear to ear grin. Yur drink, Boss ?"

"Vern, what are you doing tending bar ?" Whiskey said, her eyes and Peacemaker on scare face.

"Well Boss, " Vern said, "I was working yur farm when dey came and burned it down. Critters and all, dey did. I knew you had a Saloon out here, so I started walkin'. Found a gold strike near here....So I bought dis place from a feller."

"What feller ?" I asked Vern.

"A feller dey call Maddog or somethin'. Said he was da rightful owner now. But I knew better. Knew you'd never sell to a weasel like him. Knew you'd be back too. Good to see ya agin, Mister Hawk. And who's dis big man, Whiskey.?"

"I am called Big Goose, Mister Vern. Good to meet you !" Big Goose said as he stuck out his hand, which Vern shook eagerly.

"You gonna help Miss Whiskey here and Mister Hawk git dat Maddog feller ?" Vern asked as he poured three whiskeys.

"Yup, as soon as Whiskey decides if she's going to blow this man's brains out or not." Goose said sipping on his drink. "Hawk, you covering the other man?"

"You bet Goose. Ifin he moves toward dat gun on his hip, I'll cut him in two !" I said.

The scound feller straighten up as if to challnge me. And I moved to meet his gaze. Whiskey still had her Peacemaker in scare face's throat as he Saloon cleared and the music stopped.

His hand dropped to the gun on his hip but I was faster than he reconed I was. Two holes in his chest, one in the forehead, and he put one shot in the roof.

Whiskey said to Vern, "Go tell the undertaker we have some busness for him. Need a pine box, maybe two ! And leave the bottle on the bar. We aint done drinking just yet !"

I walked up to scare face and took his pistol from him and his fighting knife out of his right boot. Whiskey still had her Peacemaker under his chin and a deadly look on her face which I had never seen before.

I took his knife and ran my thumb over the blade. "Must be razor sharp, dis blade. Whiskey, I think ole scare face here needs a shave !" Before she could say anything, I was dry shaving half his mustache off. I then reach over and took a bottle of rotgut a feller was drinking and poured it over the fresh shaven area and said, "Now, it will not git infected, scare face ! When we meet again, and I'm sure we will, I will kill ya, ya understand. Dat's is if dis fine lookin' straight shootin, fire breathin' sweet lady don't kill ya first !"

Big Goose chamed in and said, "Miss Whiskey, I aint about to tell you what you should or should not do, however if you shoot him through his head, there will be a big mess to clean up. I'm sure you do not want blood stains on the floor !"

Whiskey reached back, graped a bottle, the wrong bottle, the bootle that had rotgut in it and took a big swig. She then spit it back out onto scare' s face, burning his shaved area again. "Lawd God.....Somebody give me my bottle !" she yelled out, all the while never blinking her eyes off scare face. She then took a health swig, watching scare face and starting to put pressure on her Peacemaker that was still under his chin.

"Back up !" she said in a near whisper and started pushing him toward the batwing doors. I got Whiskey's scatter gun from thew pack horse, just in case he had more freinds in the Saloon. As they got to the batwing doors she said, "I will kill you if you ever set foot in this Saloon again, got it ?! Now git !" as she shoved him out the doors onto the boardwalk.

Whishey hoilstered her pistol and was walking back toward the bar when scare face pushed the batwing doors open with pistol in hand. But in a flash, there was smoke coming from her Peacemaker and from the scattergun. We walked out into the street, looking down at the dead man's face when the undertaker showed up. "Oh dear, looks like I'll need to buy another coffin !"

I turned and look Whiskey in her firey eyes and said, "Los Diablos Tejanos ! You got that look in yur eyes, dat taste fer blood, dat I aint goin' no where mood on !" then as she looked up at me I winked at her. "Tejanos....what does that mean Hawk ?" I looked at her, smiled just a bit and said, "Mexican fer Texas !"

Whiskey looked up at me and said, "If what I was feeling is Los Diablos Tejanos, then I like that feeing alot ! Come on Hawk, let's go drink ourselfs plum drunk ! I need a good tear tonight !"

"Whiskey Darlin', It anit dark yet !" I said.

"Hawk, it soon will be.....when ya drunk enough. Come on now, ya gonna drink with me nor not ?" she shouted and the place was as quiet as a tomb.

I poured her a drink, me a drink and Big Goose a drink. "I don't drink Hawk !"

I looked at Goose and said, "My freind, you do now !" and he took the drink and threw it back as we all did.

The sun was coming up and we where still at the table, laughing, telling old stories, some true, some not and others partily true. Goose was asleep in his chair, snoring to bet the band. I had my hat on crooked and I knew it. The sad part is, I did not care ! And Whiskey, she had her hair in her eyes, and some how had one of her Peacemakers on the table.

I said, Whiskey Darlin' " while I patted her on the hand, "best be puttin' dat pistol away !"

She mubled something, then put her pistol away, and ordered some coffee

"That was fun Hawk. Man, you are a hoot !" Whiskey said.

"Uh.......What da hell did I do ?" I replyed

Whiskey smiled and said, "You don't remember , do ya ?"

I asked, almost embrassed, "Remember what ?"

I was thinking about that episode in El Paso a few years back that resulted in me having to leave a brothel in a abrupt fashion.

Whiskey smiled and winked at me again and said, "Never you mind ! But it was quite the sight to behold !" as she walked into the kichten.

"Lawdy....what da hell did I do now ?" I sked meself.

I stood , stretching and headed for the horse truoff and stuck my head in it. As I pull my head out, my long braids, long and silver, I heard horses riding up behind me.

"Lookie here Randel.....We got us dat half breed Maddog wants. Bet he'll pay us a pruty penny fer his hide !"

"Yup, he shore nuff would. What said we tak'em !"

I wheeled around, running my hands through my braids, trying to get the water out and said, "You boys got me mixed up wif somebody dat gives a hoot !"

I guess they thought i was going to be one of those injuns from the res, an easy push over. They just sat there with there mouths open and I said, "You gonna skin dem hoglegs or whisle Dixie ?!" There was what seemed like an etunrity and they threw down on me. Like greased lighting, I fired five shots, knocking each man off his horse. Randel lay on the dirt street, a large hole in his chest and gut, looking at me he asked, "How................" then went to his maker.

Whiskey came rounning out, her Peacemaker in hand and cocked. "Heard shots.........Hawk you al..............." looking at the bodies on the street,.."Well, I see you are ! Damn !" And then something in Franch. "Come on, coffee and grub's getting cold. What bout them two ?"

"Don't think dell be eattin' no more, Whiskey !" I said. "Gonna see ifin' dat undertaker is wake yet. Ifin' he aint, he shore most be by now. Be back in a few !"

I got to the undertaker and he was just putting on his black vest. "Got some bussness fer ya....down da strett, out front da Hanging Tree Saloon."

He put his glasses on and said, "Yes...yes, I see. Seems folks leave the Hanging Tree one way or another !"

I walked back to the Hanging Tree Saloon, went inside and sat at the table where Whiskey was setting. I looked at the breakfast plate of steak and eggs and pushed the plate and sipped on the luke warm dark brew.

"What's wrong with you're breakfast Hawk ? I cooked it myself and you always like my cooking !" Whiskey said, looking puzzled.

I sipped on my coffee again and said, "Killin' don't sit well wif a man's breakfast, Whiskey." I said.

" Recon so Hawk, but ya still need to eat ! Come on now....Eat something !" Whiskey pleaded.

I nibbled a bit, on a biscuit and asked Bottles for some whiskey. He promly delivered the bottle and I poured some in my coffee. I looked up at him, putting my finger to my lips saying, "Shhhhh....Hair of da dawg !"

I sat at the table, reloading my dragoons when a feller came into the Hanging Tree Saloon and ordered up a whiskey. He threw it back and said, "Barkeep, I'm looking for a half breed. Calls himself Hawk and fancies himself as being fast. Iwant to see if what I heard is true."

"You found him, friend." I said, standing up now. I watched as he pulled his frock coat back over his colt and said, "They say you're fast...we'll see just how fast you really are."

I looked him dead in the eye and said, "Friend, you don't have to do this !"

He looked at me and said, "I need to know !"

There was deafing silence in the Saloon, then we both went for our guns at the same time and fired at the same time. "I don't beleive it !" he said when a red spot appered on his frock coat. And he fall to the floor. I walked up to him, neeling by his side. "I had to know !" he said. I nodded my head and said, "I know son....I know !" And then I saw the life leave his eyes.

"Damn....Hell of a mornin'.....tree men dead and it aint even noon !" I thought to myself. I then went ouot to the undertaker, who was measuring Randel for a coffin. "Nother one in here !" I said. " My my,.....Mister Hawk......you are very good for busness !" he said as he stood over the body.

I walked out of the Hanging Tree Saloon and went to the livery. It seemed that the whole town rebuilt here after Maddog burned the town down. The dryed wood of the bulidings was tinder for the fire and they quickly burned to the ground. I walked into the barn and got a lung full of the fresh cut dryed hay and started thinking. I've sent three men to hell who where looking to put me into Mother Earth. How many more will die ? And where is Maddog ? Where did he go ? I know he left a trail, but the rain washed it away.

I could figure where he may go and hope I am right. I went back to the Hanging Tree Saloon and sat down to my breakfast and eat heatlly. I finished my cold food and the livery owner came into the Saloon. I told him I needed to buy two pack horses and packs from him. We agreed on a price, then I wemt across the street to the dry goods store and talked to the owner.

"I'd like to place a order." I said.

"Yes, Mister....what would it be ." the clerk asked.

"Ten pounds each, bacon, beans, flour, hard tack, jerkey, and coffee. Five pounds each of salt, sugar, pepper, and some of dem ceegars and some rolin' tobaccey." I said.

"It will be ready this afternoon, Mister. It is a large order. Will that be cash or gold, Sir ?"

"Gold" I said. Placing a large nugget on the counter, I said "Half now, have when the order is ready." I said to the clerk.

"Mister... I run a honest business here ! Don't you trust me ?" the clerk asked.

I replyed, "I dont trust any one a'tall. I'll be at the Hanging Tree Saloon younder !" I said, pointing across the street.

"Let me know when my supplies are ready."

"Yyyyyysey Sir !" the clerk said. He must have heard about the shootings. I know he saw the undertaker going about his work.

It was almost 11:00 before I got word, "Mister Hawk, you're supplies are ready."

"Good !" I answered. "Here's yur payment." and gave him the rest of his gold. I said to him, "The trust thing, it's nothin' personal."

"I know" said the clerk. "But I aim to prove to you I can be trusted !"

"OK then. You know a gunsmith round here ?" I said.

"Yes sir...in town, but he's in Maddog's pocket. But in the next town, I know a guy that calls himself an armoror !"

I rubbed my chin thinking and said, "Ok then. Here's a list of the things I need from him. And here's full payment and for room and found. Git dis list filled and bring it back to me. Compranda ?"

"Yes Sir, Mister Hawk."

He quickly walked out of the Hanging Tree Saloon and shortly there after, I heard him ride out toward the next town. I figured it would take a couple days to get my list filled, so I told Big Goose he could do want he felt he needed to do, cause I could see se he was uneasy being around so many folks all the time.

Those days passed quickly, and the clerk came back with leading a pack horse with the things I had requested from the smith. He rode behind his store and walked over to the Saloon where I was having a drink at about six.

"Mister Hawk, I got those items you requested." the clerk said and gave me change from my Gold. I held my hand up, shaking my head, "No Sir,..You earned it ! Keep it !" He smiled and shook my hand amd went home to his wife.

Whiskey came over with a bottle and two glasses and sat down. "What you got on you're mind Hawk ?" she asked. as she poured the amber liquid into my glass.

I threw the liquid back, pushing my glass to her for a refill, which she did. I sipped the whiskey, savoring it's taste when Whiskey was sitting on pins and needles. I looked at Whiskey and said, "I'm damn tired of runnin' like a wounded animal. I'm going to take dis fight to Maddog's front door and while he's lookin'er, hit him from his rear !"

Whiskey smiled because she knew I had just told her the tip of my plan. "I don't want to you to think, I want to throw in with you, but do you mind if I tag along ?" she said.

"Well.........I thought you'd would never ask !" I said. Just then this cowboy dropped a dollar coin on the table and said, " Upstairs Missey now ! I want some lovin !"

"Sir, I own this Saloon, I do not work here !" Whiskey said, with her hand out stretched with his dollar in it.

"Never saw a women what owned a Saloon dat didn't work in it ! Upstairs with ya, Now !" he shouted.

"You heard what she said......Back off !" I said laying my chair back. Unknown to him, Whiskey had taken the leather throng of her Peacemaker. I knew what was about to happen. He was going to get pistol wipped, or worse...dead.

"You best stay out of dis Breed, unless you want to die ! the cowboy said pulling on Whiskey's arm. Well, that send her over the top. She skinned her Peacemaker and gave the cowboy a case of lead poisoning. Her fired two shots from her Peacemaker into his gut, ensuring a slow painful death.

He dropped her arm, and slumed to the floor. "TOLD YOU I DON'T WORK HERE, DAMN IT !" Whiskey shouted at him. I just set there at the table, shaking my head.

"What the hell's wrong with you Hawk ? ! I just killed a man !" Whiskey said to me.

I stood and walked by her and whispered in her ear, "I never would have let him git dat fer !" and walked toward the batwing doors. As I did, I walked by the slumped cowboy and said, "Told ya to back off, but ya won't listen and now you gonna die !" and walked out.

I went by the undertaker's palor, letting him know that in a few minutes, he'll have another body to plant. And then I went to the livery to check on the supplies and my special order. Everything seemed to be there and I made my bedroll on the hay and slepted soundly.

I broke camp and headed for town. I had been gone close to four weeks and from what little information I had been able to get, nobody had killed the Halfbreed and the $5,000 in gold I had put on his head was not in any danger of being collected. I kicked the mule I was riding and figured I should make it to town before dark. I had set everything on fire before I had left and was not sure what would be there, but I had heard that the saloon and that woman and the Halfbreed were there, so I was going to finish my business with them and then move on to take over another town and set things up so I could be comfortable again. The only thing standing in my way was the Halfbreed and I did not need him hunting me. I guess if I had wanted the job done right, I should just done it myself as nobody could get it done and William S. Hart had quit on me without finishing the job. That had cost Big Knife Jim his life, and someday Hart and I will either kill each other or let it go, and right now I don’t really care how that will turn out. But Big Knife Had asked us not to kill each other as he laid there dying and it was the first time in a long time I felt I should honor a request of a dying man. William S. Hart and I buried him and I let Hart ride off without either of us saying a word.

It was about 6:00pm when I reached the edge of town and I stopped to get a good look around. The livery and the general store had been rebuilt and it looked like the fire had made it to the saloon or the undertaker’s office. I could see a boarding house had been built and it was not there when I had burned the place. There were few men walking on the street but the place looked quiet. About that time I heard shooting coming from the saloon and then Hawk walked out and walked over to the undertaker’s office. I could see a man lying halfway thru the batwing doors and Whiskey looking thru them. Hawk opened the door to the undertaker said something but I was not close enough to hear him. I cocked my Sharps carbine that I had across my saddle and watched to see where he was going. I would only have the one shot if he recognized me and I had to be close as it had been converted in to a shotgun. He then walked down the street towards me and gave me a quick look over and walked right past me without a word and a smile on his face. He did not recognize me and walked down to the livery and went inside. As they carried the body out of the saloon, I stopped and looked at them as they walked by. Whiskey was standing in the door and looked me over, started to turn away and then looked back at me again and looked harder at me. She then called out to me, “Don’t worry about that mister, we are open for business.” I looked at her and nodded and in a dry raspy voice said “Maybe later” She smiled and walked back into the saloon.

Now you are wondering how I got by with riding in to my enemies den and riding off without them knowing who I was. Of course, if you had seen me, you would not know who I was either. I had always taken great pride in how I looked, my clothes were always cleaned by the Chinaman at the end of town and he always ironed them for me. I always wore a white shirt and white pants, my double rig was covered with silver and I carried a pair of 44 Colts. I always bathed regular and was clean shaven at all times and my hair never touched my ears or my collar. My white boots were always polished and never had a scuff on them and my silver spurs always shined. My white hat never had a drop of dirt on it and I rode a big horse with a fancy saddle. I was always filled out and looked like I had never missed a good meal in my life. But all that had changed over the last four weeks. I had rode many miles recruiting help, I had gotten snake bit and spent 3 weeks with a high fever and almost died for it, during that time I had lost 35 pounds and looked hollow and worn out. I was wearing a pair of store bought glasses but they only had clear glass in them. I was riding an old mule with a five dollar saddle and wearing grey cavalry pants and a worn out buckskin shirt. My boots were dirty and worn to the point that my toes were almost sticking out of them. The grey hat I was wearing had a hole in it and looked like had been walked on by a horse. My hair was just down to my shoulders and my beard was scraggly with a salt and pepper look to it. I appeared to be past due for my annual bath and I think the mule smelled better than me. I doubt my own mother would have known me.

I rode on thru the trees and up to the other part town and looked around. The other saloon was still standing but looked closed. There was a boarding house, the jail, and a livery that was open, but most of the rest was gone. I rode up to the boarding house and got a room for the night overlooking the street and then took my mule down to the livery. I went back to the boarding house and all they had was some cold beans and bread, so I took a plate up to my room and ate it. I bolted the door and got my Colts out of my pack and got into bed. I laid there for a little bit thinking about what I was going to do next and wonder how long it would be before they recognized me. I fell in to a fitful sleep and dreamed about the last couple weeks and what had happened.

William S. Hart swung up on his horse and head back to the town where Maddog would be waiting. He knew that telling him he did not kill Hawk would not go over well with him. The problem was that you never knew how Maddog would react when things did not go the way he wanted. He knew that Hawk had saved him in the past and that he owed Hawk more than once for saving his hide. As he rode in to town, he saw Maddog and Big Knife Jim’s horses tied up in front of the jail. William S. Hart had noticed that Maddog did not always wear his Colts when he was in the jail, and that may play to his advantage as Maddog would not be ready to draw on him and he could get the drop on Maddog if Maddog lost his temper. William S. Hart stopped and tied his horse up in front of the jail and walked up to the door and it was locked. He banged on the door and called out” Hey, in the jail, open the door”. The door opened slowly and Big Knife Jim was standing behind it. Hart walked and Maddog was sitting behind his desk with his shotgun cocked and pointed at him. Hart walked over by the window and leaned again the wall. He had tied his holster down before he had come in the door and had the hammer strap off his pistol in case he needed it. Big Knife Jim shut the door and walked over by the desk. He stopped just short being between Maddog and Hart and looked at both of them.

Big Knife started talking:

“Maddog, put your shotgun down, there is no need for that.”

Maddog looked Hart over and then set his shotgun across the desk. The hammers were still cocked and he had one hand on the desk by the shotgun but he was not touching it and then he leaned back in his chair. Maddog had an impatience look on his face.

“William, what happened? Did you kill him like I told to do? I paid you enough money that you should have killed him and everybody in the place. So, start talking!”

BOOM!!!

I sat straight up in bed and grabbed my Colt. The room lit up again and thunder rocked the boarding house. It started to rain harder outside. I dug around and found my watch. 3:00am. I got up and shut the window. The bottle I was drinking before bed had about a shot left in and I downed it. I put my Colt back on the table and got back in bed. This was turning into a long night for me.

Something was bugging me. I thought I had seen that old man before somehwere, but I wasn't sure. And I hate not being sure. One thing was sure though....he knew me. I could see it in his eyes when they squinted at me when I walked passed him.

Well, it was raining cats and dawgs outside. I knew no man alive would be out in this weather, not even injun. So I put that thought of knowing that feller in the back of my mind and went backing into the Haging Tree Saloon, sat in on a card game, back to the wall of course.

It wasn't till 3:00am when a clap of thunder ended the card game for me. "Dat's all fer me boys....Spirits aint kind tonight and are gonna git meaner......I'm cashin' out !"

I cashed out and settled my bar tab an walked out into the rainy night. I lit a ceegar, pulled my hat down and walked toward the boarding house but somethin, but something stopped me. I can't explain it, just a gut feeling. Nine times out of ten, my gut feelings aint wrong. I decided to sleep with my horse tonight, but I tokk the leather thong off the hammer of my colt dragoon, just in case. I got back to livery stable, unrolled my bedroll and settled in. But before I sipped into ligh sleep, I racked a round of 00 buckshot in my scatter gun and chambered a 44-40 round into my rifle.

In the early morning light that came with sun up, I still felt un easy and peaked out of the livery door. The mist was raising from the street and also no one was outside. The sun was brighter than it had been in days. I guess the rain had something to do with that. Then I seen him. The man I thought I knew from some where.I watched as he came out and rode out on his mule. Now why would a man ride a mule, walking would be just as good.

After he had left this make shfit town, I walked over to the boarding house, rifle in hand. I walked into the boarding housr and was met with, Wipe ya feet ! Got nuff mud in here as it is ! " I did as I was told and wiped and went into the foryer. "Mrs Wilson, I need to ask ya somethin'. " I said.

"Oh Mister Hawk....Where were you last night ? Surely you didn't sleep in the rain and mud ?" she asked.

I said, "No Mrs Wilson, but I need to know who that breaded feller,....da one what just left....who is he ?"

"I don't recall his name...have to look at thr registery." Mrs. Wilson said as she motioned to me. Her disgust was made clear when I tracked mud on her clean floor. "There, made his mark right there !" she said and pointed to a very large "X" on the book.

"Could it be Maddog had doubled back now ?" I thought. "Possible" I answered my ownself. I thanked Mrs Wilson, picked up the mud I had tracked in and walked out into the muddy street. "Ifif' dat was Maddog, trouble's a brewin !" I again thought to my self. The tracks where very easy to see in te mud and I went into the back door of the Hanging Tree Saloon where I saw Whiskey putting another peace of split wood in the stove.

"Mornin Hawk. How did you sleep last night ?" Whiskey asked me.

"Fitful." I said. " you mind ifin' I check a few things, Whiskey Darlin' ! I asked as I lifted the heavy black canvs bag onto the table.

"After breakfast, Mr Hawk " Whiskey said in a stern voice.

I looked at her and I took that large bedroll sized bag off the table untill breakfast was finished. I then rolled the bag out. Inside, anmong other things where dynimite sticks, a bow with this new fangled made call steel arrowheads, a mare's leg rifle, a 1862 large magizine Henry I had speacial made, some sinew and a knife, a set of colt Walkers, a scatter gun with the stock cut down to a pistol grip.

"Lord have mercy Hawk....Looks like you're afixing to go to war again !" Whiskey said, eyeing my collection.

I looked up at her after grabbing a few things and said, "It may just come to the Darlin !"

She went to pour some whiskey into my coffee, but I toke the cup and tossed the coffee out and she poured.

"Are ya going to tell me what the hell is going on or not ?" Whiskey asked.

I thought I'd threw her off course, if just for a little while. "Nope, Whiskey, I surely aint !" That made her flume like crazy.

I tipped my hat to her, and slipped out the back way and onto the trail. It was very easy to follow as the rain had washed away all other track. I follwed the trail for about an hour, when I reined up and wheeled my horse and faced my back trail. I didn't have to wait long. Whiskey came around the conor by the large rock.

"Damn yur hide Hawk.......How did ya know I was trailing ya ? And don't say that it's a gift. I've had it up to here with that !" she said, making a sliding motion on her forehead.

"Dis is what I do, Whiskey. I'm injun. All der is to it. Now it would be a waste of words to tell ya to go back, so ya might as well looen up those Peacemakers and lay yur carbine across da saddle. Think we'll need'em both in a mitiute or two." I said.

She had as I said and we rode on untill we came across a dead man, laying in the dead. I rode up and looked down at the dryed out corspe and said to Whiskey, "I do not know dis man !"

"Are ya sure, Hawk. I mean, he is all dryed up and everything." Whiskey said.

"I do not know dis man !" I repeated.

We rode on till bout noon and that's when it happened. BOOM......BOOM.....BOOM.....Boom !

"AMBUSH" I shouted. "RIDE WHISKEY......RIDE !"

There was this low spot in the flat land that was fill with water from the night's rain, but we rode into that and dismounted. Taking my 1862 spcial made Herny in my hand, I swung off the saddle and glanced around to take up a postion to return fire when I heard a scream. What I saw sent chills though me. I saw the bullet strike Whiskey in the right shoulder, the blood splattering the bridle of her horse. The horse took off in a dead run. And Whiskey fell into the muddy water.

The bullets where wizing all round as I helped Whiskey back on her knees. Screaming something out in a laguage I did not understand, she was pissed. She had not started to feel the pain of being shot yet.

"Hell, I lost my horse !" she said to me.

I replyed, "Dat's da least of our worries now Darlin' ! Some some bitch is shootin' at us and yur hit and you need to keep yur ass still so I can tend to yur wound !"

Whiskey looked at her shoulder, saw her blood on my face and replyed in a very white face........"Damn !"

The bullets where still wizzing passed, and some where strucking the dirt a little ways in front of us.

The bullet that had found it's mark in Whiskey's shoulder was near a vein, and I dared not try to dig it out. So I just stuffed my hankerchef into it. Whiskey winched in pain, and I thought she would cry out as I stuffed in into the hole to try to stop the bleeding. I knew I had to get out of her soon. I dared not think of what would happen to my friend if I did not.

I noticed the bullets had stopped. All but thay one that was striking the dirt in front of me. I thought it was just a shot fired wild, but it was now working it's way toward our postion.

" Wide and to da right." I said out loud as I saw the dirt fly. The shooter was zeroing in and with each shot, he would adjust and redirect his fire. If we stayed here to long,he would be pouring round after round into us. I was not going to let that happen.

I pulled my 1866 Special Edtion Rifle and jacked a round into the chamber. I looked through the new fangled Tang sights. I tryed looking thrugh it when I bought it, but now, I saw the flash and smoke of the in coming shot and followed it all the way to the ground right in front of us.

"Low and dead on. It's my turn now !" I said .

I layed my new fangled rifle over the saddle of Whiskey's dead horse and looked around. I clearly saw the shooter chambering another round. I touched my bullet off. "Wide" I said.

I adjusted the windage and levered another round and fired. When it hit between them, they ran off, but not the shooter. I realized he was a sharp shooter in the war. I didn't know what side he was on, and at this moment in time, I did not care. I had to git Whiskey to a Doctor.

I touched off the round and it struck the sharp shooter squre in the chest. "Just as I saw it." I said. I looked over and kneeled down and looked at Whiskey. My handerchef was soaked with her blood. And she was white too. I put my hand on her face as she tryed to look up at me. "Be right back Darlin..Got to check somethin." She tryed to speak, but she didn't. I knew what she was thinking. "I won't ! I said. And patted her hand and slipped off.

As I neared where this form lay, I pulled my dragoon and cocked it, ready for anything. I saw he was struck in the chest, and came out his left shoulder, near the neck. It was a wound that would mean certain death.

He called out to me as I came up on him. "Finish da job, Yank !" he said, a hole in his chest, sucking in wind and spewing out red foam.

"I aint no damn Yank, but I'll finish ya off son." I said.

He looked at me in surpise. "You're a Reb ? Shore wish I'd known dat. I'd never took dis job !"

Too late now son. Where ya want it ?" I asked, giving him a southern courtiesy. He placed the 7' barrel of my dragoon to his chest, just left of where he was hit. Right at his heart. "Two shots ?" He nodded yes, and with out waiting any longer, I fired, recocked my pistol and fired again. And once more I watched the life leave someone's eyes.

I ran back to where Whiskey was. She was out cold and was ghost white. I scooped her up into my arms and thought how lite she was as I stepped up into my saddle as my horse had wandered back. She stired as if she was coming to, but it was not to be. "Sorry Gal, But I gotta git ya to da Sawbones back in town. Hang on now cuz dis is gonna be a bit painful." I aid to her, not knowing if she heard me or not. I spurred my horse hard, and we was off like a shot.

I sat outside the Sawbone's door, waiting for word. Did she pull through ? I said a prayer, saying, "Lord..heard men talk to you and talk about you alot. Never thought I'd have cause to jaw wif ya none, but I dgot a friend what's in real bad shape in der. Just pull her through dis, Lord, ya hear me....Just pull her through !"

It was hours before the Sawbones came out. "You the half breed that brought her in ?"

"Yup, I did so ." I said.

"You kin ?" asked the doctor.

"Nope, but I'm da closest kin she's got here." I said.

"Well....You'll have to do. The bullet was mushroomed and very close to a vein. It was hard to remove it, but I fanially did." He saw and gave me the mis shaped lead form. "She's been asking for you."

I went into his office and followed him into a back room and there on a hard bed she lay. I thought she was dead as I looked at her face. She then smiled and said, "You're not an Angel, but close to a devil, Ghostrider !" she said and held out her hand.

"Glad to see ya back amongst da land of da lifein', Whiskey Darlin !" I said.

She looked up at me and asked, "Did you get him Hawk ?"

I nodded. "I did fer him. Southern boy he was."

"Damn !" Whiskey said, her voice trailing off as she slept back into sleep.

"So..You're him ! Well I'll be...................."

"You'll be what, Sawbones ? " I said, looking him in the eye, and showing that I was mad at being knewn that way.

He shallowed hard and said, "She lost alot of blood. She'll be resting alot and then in a few days you can take her back to her place."

"Doc, ifin' she needs anythin' at all, even my blood, ya just sing out, ya hear ? !" I said.

"Yes sir...I'll do that very thing." Doc said.

I left her in the Sawbone's care and went back to the boarding house. I got my key and as I walked up the steps, I replayed the past events in my mind. "How could I have let dis happen to her ? What could I have done differant ?" I asked myself. Whiskey being shot had shaken me to my very soul and with the door of my room closed behind me, I allowed a tear to run down my cheeck.

I wiped the water off with my hand and asked, "What da hell is dis ?" I pulled the cork on a bottle and took a long hard pull off it. The likker flowed and tasted good going into my gut. I looked over at the Doc's office and said to myself, "Come on Whiskey.......Pull through !"

I was looking down into the jail from the rafters. How did I get up here? I looked next to me and Big Knife Jim was sitting next looking at me and smiling. I started to ask him how we got here and he point down into the jail. I looked down I was sitting in my chair with my shotgun on my desk and my hand was sitting next to it. I could see my Colts hanging on a peg on the wall. Big Knife Jim was standing to my desk and William S. Hart was across from me next to the wall. I had an irritated look on my face and William was talking but I could not hear him. I looked over at Jimmy and started to ask him what was going on. He shook his head and point down. I started getting a bad feeling about this and then I heard William S. Hart talking:

“Jimmy, do you remember a Halfbreed Apache that use to ride with us before the war and left just before it started? We called him Apache but his name was Silver Hawk. He saved both of us more times than we could count when we were running down by the border?”

Jimmy rubbed his whiskers and started thinking “I remember him, he was a good guy. For that matter, there was the time we all got ourselves in a bunch of trouble and he…”

Maddog was starting to lose his temper. I could see it happening and I could not do anything from here in the rafters. I looked and I did not have my gun, for that matter, I did not even have my clothes. I felt a hand touching me and I looked around. Jimmy was pointing down again.

“Jimmy! Now is not time for a story! Hart, did you kill that bastard or not??? If you did not kill him, what the Hell are you doing back here?”

“I did not kill him, Hell, he and I were better friends than you and I ever were. Jimmy and I both owe him more than once and if you had told me about him to begin with, I would not have wasted my time coming here. I want my money and I am taking my men and leaving.”

Maddog stood up and hid hand slid over on the wrist of his shotgun.

“I paid you to kill that Halfbreed and you are going do as I tell you. You want the rest of your money then get out there and kill him. What is wrong with you? Are you scared of him or have you just turned yellow? Get out of here and kill him or I will kill you. Do you understand me!!!!”

William S. Hart’s face was bright red. Maddog’s eyes had turned black and you could see him shaking with rage. I knew that was going to turn out badly. I reached for my gun to shoot Hart and stop this and it was not there. I looked at Jimmy and he shook his head “NO” and pointed back down.

“Nobody calls me yellow and lives!!!” William S. Hart reached for his gun.

Big Knife Jim yelled. “Both of you stop” and he took a step forward between them.

Maddog had rolled his shotgun over when Hart went for his gun and pulled both triggers. Hart cleared leather and fired just as Big Knife stepped between them. Hart’s bullet caught Big Knife Jim in the side and it spun him around right in to both barrel of dimes that Maddog had in his shotgun. Big Knife Jim flew across the room and hit the wall. He slid down the wall leaving a trail of blood on it. Maddog jumped over his desk and grabbed Big Knife Jim’s arm and William grabbed his other arm to hold Jimmy up. Jimmy’s eyes were glassed over and looked at both of them and blinked twice. His lips were moving but there was no sound. Big Knife coughed out a mouthful of blood and he rasped,

“Don’t kill each other” and then he died.

Maddog and William S. Hart stood up and looked at each other. Maddog reached down and unbuckled Big Knife Jim’s gun belt and handed it to William S. Hart.

Maddog spoke first:

“Here , take his guns, I think he would have wanted you to have them. If you decide to try and kill me, don’t use Jimmy’s guns as he would not like that. Give me $25 to bury Big Knife Jim so it can be done properly and get out of town. You are leaving alone and the next time I see you either I will kill you or we will get drunk together in honor of Jimmy. You have better pray that we never see each other again.”

William S. Hart pulled the 10 inch Bowie Knife off on Big Knife Jim’s gun belt and handed the knife and $25 to Maddog. He turned without saying a word and walked out the door. He mounted his horse and rode off out of town heading east. Maddog stood in the door and watched until Hart was out of sight. He looked back at Big Knife Jim and shook his head. He shut the door and went to get the undertaker.

I looked next to me and I was alone in the rafters. Why did I have to watch this? If Hart had done his job, this would not have happened. I should go kill William S. Hart but I was stuck in the rafters. What the hell was I going to do now and how was I going to down from here?

Clang! Clang! Clang! Clang! “It’s 7:00 am. Everybody has one hour to get out of here”

I rolled over looked at my watch. I got up and went over and washed my face.

I looked out the window and the street was quiet. I would ride on to the next town to the south and stop at my hideout that was close to there and then I would pick up some men and come back. I now knew where the Halfbreed was and I had the advantage. When I get back, there would be doubt who was riding in to town there and I would kill everybody here and it would look just like I left Georgia. The only thing left to do before I left was to get in to the jail and get a couple of my guns I had left there. Other than my Colts, All I had was that Sharps converted shotgun and I needed a couple of rifles. I went do to get breakfast and all they had was coffee and hardtack. Well, I would just have to get something later and I best go before too many people get out and see me go in to the jail. I filled one of my canteens with coffee and wrapped some hardtack on some paper and put it in my saddle bag. There a bottle of Bulleit on the counter and I asked “How much?” “10 dollars” I bought it but I was thinking I would get that money back when I come back next time and I will remind them about their high prices right before I kill them.

I walked outside and put my bedroll and saddle bags on my mule. I looked around and then I saw the Halfbreed looking out the door of the livery stable and trying not to be seen. He was watching me but I knew if he had figured out who I was, he would have been shooting at me. I mounted up and rode south out of town without looking back. When I got to the end of town and I knew he could no longer see me, I rode the mule in to a patch of rock so I could dismount and my tracks would look like I had just stopped to get my bearings. I worked my way to the back of the jail and unlocked it and shut the door. There was enough light for me to see and I went and looked out the front window. I could see Hawk coming out of the boarding house shaking his head and I knew he suspected something. He walked back to the saloon and went inside. Hawk was carrying a big bag and I figured that must have been supplies and guns, so I knew I had better load up and go.

I looked at the rack and nobody had messed with anything since I had left. I want to make sure I had enough firepower for now, so I got out my 1873 Winchester in 44spl that matched my Colts and it held 13 rounds plus one in the chamber. I put the Sharps shotgun back in the rack and got out my double barrel coach gun. I then got my 45-70 trapdoor and my Winchester 30-30 musket that held 10 rounds. I then opened the chest behind my desk and got out 500 rounds of 44spl, 200 rounds of 30-30 and 100 rounds of 45-70. I took 100 rounds of shotgun shells in 4 belts that I could strap around my waist. I looked around and thought for a moment. Was there anything else I needed? I opened a panel in the back of my desk and got out a $200 in gold and $800 in paper money. I locked everything back up and checked the front and it was quiet. I went out the back and loaded everything on the mule.

One thing about that mule, he could carry twice the load of a horse but he was not very fast. I figured it would take an hour or two before Hawk would be ready to come after me, and that was not much of a head start but it would have to do. I checked my tracks and unless you were looking to see if I stopped and went to the jail, it looked like I had ridden straight through. I could not cover my tracks in the mud, so I would have to think of a plan as I rode and I will have to watch my time. I rode off on the mule and I thought to myself, if Hawk comes after me, somebody will die today.

I stayed with Whiskey untill Big Goose and William S. Hart came walking up to me.

"Hawk, I done gone and figured out who that old man is. I looked at him and imagined him clean and a hair ciut and it was him. It was Maddog !" Goose said in a hushed tone as not to wake Whiskey. He handed me a half empty bottle of Bulliet, of which, I took a pull of.

"And Hawk, " William S. Hart said,..."He's gunning for you. One way or the other, he's planning on killing you and the lady there. The man you killed put that bullet in her, and for that, I would have killed him too. I owe you more than I care to remember, Hawk. If the fight comes, and trust me, it will, I'll fight be you're side."

"Why should I believe you Hart ? Remember San Anglo ?" I asked, angerly. It was during the war that the fort there was held by Federal troops, and some Apaches and was stormed by overwelming Confederate forces. I was the Confederate spy inside the fort and Hart just through me to the dogs.

Goose butted in. "Hawk, I trust Hart and you should too. He told me Maddog was at the jail, arming himself to the theeth. I was close enough I could check it out and sure nuff, Maddog was grabbing everything in sight."

I took another pull on that bottle of Bulliet. He must have seen me crossing the street with my large bag. I said to them both, "Get outfitter as fast as ya can. Follow Maddog as long as ya can, just don't let him see ya. Hart.....saw a 45-70 on da wall...was it still der ?"

"No Hawk....He took it." Hart said.

"He can now reach out and tag ya from fer away, then." I said, pushing my hat back, thinking hard. Maddog had pushed my plans forward but a right smart.

Goose was grinning and I asked him, "What !?"

"Hawk, I can also reach out and tag him. The advantage is, I was a sharp shooter in the war, and I kepted my Sharps 45-110. His 45-70 can't make as long a shot as I can."

" OK fellers," I said, " When can't track him no more, Goose, bring Hart and meet me at the old camp site. I figure Maddog will head south, afert dat, is anybobies guess. I know dis land and it's poeple, but I don't know how many men he has or will have, and it's just us three. We've got to have advanatges like all get out. He most likey will stop ata abandoned spring not to fer from here. After dat, if he's as smart as I think, he'll double back and birn dis little town to da ground. That's what I would do."

Goose rubbed his beard and said, "You athinking like a Confederate Colonel that's out numbered, aint cha ?"

"Yup, never let yur enemy know who, how what and whar. And ifin ya got to expose yur folks, den never show dem yur full strenth." I said.

Hart piped up, "If you trust me Hawk, I'll get to the telegragh office in town and call some of you're friends to help. They, most likey owe you too."

"William S. Hart....I do not trust ya as fer as I can throw ya, but I aint gotta choice dis time. Now, if you will do dis fer us, and will stand and fight...ifin' you live, yur debt to me will be payed."

"DEAL !" Hart. "Goose, ready to ride ?"

"Yup. Hawk where will you be ?" Goose asked.

"I'll be rat here be Whiskey's side, burning sage, doin' lots of prayin'. Ifin' Maddog comes here to finsih her off, den we will both wander between da four winds ferever !" I said,

"What the hell is this fours winds stuff ?" Hart asked looking at me.

Goose said, with a worried look on his face, "That is just was it is Hart, HELL !"

I listened as I heard Big Goose and William S. Hart ride off and when I thought they where far enough away, I pulled put my medicne pouch. I took out a smuge of sage, put flame to it and blew it out so that it just smoked. Chating the healing song, I worked around Whiskey's bed, putting tobacco on the floor. I then took out my bass flute and played another healing song in a low hushed tone.

"Damn it to hell, Whiskey ! Dat bullet was meant fer me !" I said softy.

I wanted to make sure Maddog saw me in town, but at the same time I wanted to be near Whiskey's side. I felt I was the cause of her being shot. Maybe I was, that's debatable to this day. But I knew for sure that the bullet she took was meant for me. I just knew it !

Whiskey moaned and stired a bit. "Bucky." she whispered out.

"He aint here just now, Darlin'." I said She held her hand out and I took it eagerly.

"Where am I and what happened ?" Whiskey asked me.

I took a deep breath and said, "Yur in da Doc's office. You took a bullet. Hit you in the shoulder, near a vein, but the Doc said he got it out while you was out. Said yur gonna be fine."

She smiled and replyed, "Need a drink of water, please."

I jumped up and said, "I git ya some fresh water,"

Where I got the strenth to do so, I don't know. I do know, my ancestors where present and had healed her, brought Whiskey back to the land of the living. And was giving me strengh as I had not slept in four days and nights. I got her a dipper of water and said, "Sip it slow, now gal."

We made some small talk, then I said, "Whiskey, I got to meet Big Goose and Willian S. Hart at my old camp site. Maddog is gonna try somethin' so we got to have a plan. And lookie here......" I said and pulled out a PepperBox pistol in 32 cal. "Dis is a eight shot Pepperbox. Some call it a "Ladies Pistol". And sometimes, it fires all eight shots at da same time. But most of da time, it gives good service, as I've had cause to use it a time or two. You take it. If Maddog ot anyone you don't know comes through da door, shoot first, asked questions later. Now, here...take it."

I put the small pistol in her hand, and put that hand under her blanket. I did not want an outlaw to see it. I didn't want an outlaw to see it, but I wanted that PepperBox to be the last thing he or she saw.

I started to leave and I heard Whiskey whisper, "Be careful Hawk !" I smiled and nodded.

I stepped outof the Doc' office and paused for minute. I had to clear my head, and start planning for the battles to come. I'm sure Maddog would strike, but I had to stirke back in the most fierce way. And Los Diablos Tejinanos would just fit the bill. I rode out of town going south, and when I was sure my back trail was clear, I turned north ad rode into the mountains. I saw the tracks of two horses on the rocks, so I hoped Goose and Hart made it to my old camp.

As I neared the camp I heard Hart's harsh voice, saying, "I wonder what's keeping Hawk ? "

"Wonder no longer Hart. I am here." I replyed.

"Well, it's about........." and Goose threw the elbow into his side.

"I brought supplies in the packs. Fix something for us to eat...I'll stand watch.' I said.

With the fire dieing down, I broke out the whiskey bottle, removing the cork noiselesly and said, "Maddog went southdin doubled back to da edge of town. Now, he knows I'm in town but he don't know why. I plan on bein' seen now and again fer a few days. in dat cave is all dat weaponery we will need. Pistols, special rifles and plain ones and all sorts of scatter guns. And of course, dynimite and lots of it. So now boys, how to we fight dis Maddog ?"

"Before we do anything Hawk, " William S Hart said, I need to know why Maddog wants you dead so bad."

"Back in da war, he disobeyed orders.Maddog was ordered to come quickley to aid General Jackson and to bring up da packs. He did not foolow orders and men died as a result. I was on da corts marshal and I found him guilty. I lost track of him fer a few months, but I heard he was shot in da head, but lived. Now he's very mean and naty. Just a ripe someabitch."

Willian S Hart looked surpised and glance at Goose who said," It's true Hart. I was there too."

"Good enough for me Hawk ! What's the plan ?" he said.

I thought about it and said, "Whar is he's base of operations ? While he's in town, where do he do ta earth ?"

Goose and Hart did not know and just looked at one another.

"He goes to his jail. Dat's whar we'll make our stand. We're going to jail !" I said with a smile on my face.

Big Goose looked worryed and said "What about the by standers Hawk ? Aint ya feared they will get killed ?"

"Nope,...Dey's smart folk. When diy smell a fight comin' on, dey'll take cover. Keep da wounded civilans as low as possible. Now da jail has been burned and don't have a roof, so spect some thin' in da air from his men. But it's well fortifed. We could holed up in der fer quite a spell, if forced too." I said.

I could see they gears of their minds woeking and said, "Goose, caugh one of dem horses roamin' round here. Dey's saddle broke, been turned loose a while back. Pack as much gear as you can and return to the jail. Hart, you do the same da next day. I'll go back tonight, make myself seen around town. Maddog will try to burn dis town to da ground, just like Sherman ordered him to do in Atlanta. I'm not gonna let dat happen again !"

I walked out of camp and swung up into my saddle, and rode south and then east into town. I reined up outside the Doc's office and went inside. Doc was having a hard time keeping her in bed in the back of his house where he moved her.

"Now Whiskey, what in da hell do ya think yur doin ?" I said with as much arthority aspossible. She didn't hear me and was about to hit the Sawbones on the head with that PepperBox.

" You need help, and By God, I'm going to help !" she said with her arms in the Sawbones hands.

"WHISKEY........YOU STOP DIS FOOLISHNESS RAT NOW !" I shouted. She forze in her tracks. I had never shouted at her before, but this time I had too. "NOW.....YOU GIT YUR BUTT BACK IN BED DER AND SETTLE DOWN ! "

She, thankfully, did as I told her to do, and got back into bed.

"She heard you're gonna take on Maddog and his men at the jail and was gonna help." Doc said. I don't know how word got here this fast, but the cat was out of the bag now.

"You aint helpin' us at da jail. You can help me by stayin put." I looked deep into her eyes and said, "Whiskey, prominse me you'll stay put. Promise me !"

"Ok, I prormise......But I aint gonna like it a'tall !" She said.

I then realized that the Pepper Box would not be enough so I handed her the Peace makers.

"Whiskey, use'em ifin' you need'em. Ifin' dey git close, use dat Pepper box on'em. And stay put here !" I said, pointing to the floor of the Doctor's office. "You beat death once girl, and dat's one time too many. Next time you'll may not be so lucky !"

Whiskey looked at me and asked, "You cheated death alot, Hawk. How did you do it ?"

"It's a gift !" I said and with a smile and a wink, I walked out and closed the door. I gave the Swbones one of the three scatter guns I have, just in case.

I rode oout to the old camp site to meet up with Big Goose and William S Hart. They where all ready there with a small fire going.

"Fellars, I done and gone and fiigered out what to do. What was Maddog's base of operations ?" No one answered me. "Come on now, what was his base of operations....his headquaters ?"

Goose spoke up and answered, "That would be his jail house, right ?"

I nodded and Goose looked at Hart saying, "Oh No....Hawk's thinking Colonel agin!"

And again I nodded. "Rat ! And dat's whar we'll hole up. Make him and his boys come to us !"

Hart piped in,.."But that jail is burnt.....the whole town is burnt !"

Again I nodded. "I know dis. Da so called "town" rebuilt near da Hanging Tree Saloon. Da town's folk have learn of Whiskey bein' shoot and der mad as a wet sittin' hen ! ut I told'em der no match fer Maddog's men. Told dem to arm derselfs and to defend der stores and homes but not to help us. Dey aint cold blooded killers. Da dry goods store owner loaned'em all Winchesters and showed'em how to use'em."

William S Hart looked my in the eye and asked, "Hawk...I know Maddog is a cold blooded killer. I think you are too. Are you ?"

Goose stepped in and said, "Hawk can be when needed. I have seen that personal. What's our next move Hawk ?"

"We ride back to da jail house and we fortify it. Set up firin' postions to cover da streets in all dircertions. Ifin' thinns go to hell, we'll meet back here !" I said. "Help me wif des packhorses !"

We rode into the burned out town proud as could be. I knew Maddog had some spies on the outskirts of the burnt town so he would know we where here. But not for at least two days of hard riding. And then, three days ride back here, as I knew his hired killers where in no hurry to earn there money.

We set up in the jail house. In each window, there where two rilfes in each window. The roof was burned off and that was our only weak point. But I had it covered with three scatter guns loaded with 00 buckshot, seven pelelts to each shell. I know, I loaded'em. And two boxes of shells. Each rilfe had a box of shells. Near the conor of the jail house, where Maddog had his desk, I had a suppy of ammo, and next to the was a few arrows with dynamite tied around each shaft. We had provisions layed in for a long siege and thought one would come.

Now, we waited, and watched. Bottles brought us some hot food and a bottle of whiskey to boot. And it was one of Whiskey's finest. "She said y'all could have dis'in." Bottles said and went out the way he came in, throught the back way, which was in the line of fire of those scatter guns.

We sat back and eat hot food, sow belly with the buttons on, fryed taters, collared greens, corn bread and buscuits, and hot coffee straight from the pot Bottles left here. And a slice each of apple pie. We all then had a ceegar, then Big goose said, after finishing his ceegar, "I take first watch, then Willain S Hart there can take the next. Hawk, you can take the last. "

"Sounds like a sound plan, all da way round. When da fight starts, best have a ceegar in ya mouth,....It calms da nerves, kills da seen of da dieing and ya can lite da fuses wif. " I said,,smiling.

Thye injun instict was raising up and Los Dieablos Tejanos was high and ready for this fight. We where going to put a dent in Maddog's men and then, when he's weak, I'll git him. He was as fast as me, and I wanted him to have to prove it.

We settled in for the first attack to come. We didn't have to wait long. The frist bullet came whizzing past my right ear, while I was on watch.

"SNIPER !" I shouted. " STAY CLEAR OF DOORS AN WINDERS ! " I said.

"Goose, got a bead on da sinper ?" I asked.

Another bullet whizzed past, striking what was left of the floor. I saw Goose move to a better postion, and using his Sharps 45-110 he would scan an area, and then move to the next postion. The next bullet whizzed right over my head, putting a large hole in my hat !

"Any time wood be great, der Goose ! Whar da hell is dat shooter !" I shouted at Goose.

And his resondce is, "Easy Grasshopper......got that shooter in my sights now ! as he fired and the incoming bullets stopped.

"Dang it Goose.....You cut that too close !" William S Hart said. Big Goose quickly put him in his place.

Adjusting his kneeling form, still looking through his sights said, "I had to know just where he was as if I fired and missed he would know I had found him and would duck and move to another spot, maybe he would hit you Hart."

Hart piped down and noticed I was gone. "Where's Hawk !? Aint like him to..........." and then his voice trailed off. "Is Hawk doing what I think he's doing Goose ?" And Goose nodded.

I needed to know just how strong the enemy force was, and just how well armed they where. I swung wide of where I thought they where abd when I saw them, I crepted to within 15 yards of them. They where armed the same as we where and where at least 20 strong. I crepted back to here to the jailhouse and whispered, "Jailhouse...coming in !"

I took a pull of the finest whiskey I had ever had the prue plasure of tatsing and said, "Boys, whar in a world of hurt now ! They are armed just like us, but ders more of'em !" I said.

Goose and Hart looked at one another and resigned that this would be there last fight. But I was not done talking yet.

" Bout 20 or so out there, near the bulf, just south of town. Got da town sealed off...Can't git a message out even ifin' we wanted to. But...we have a very defendable postion here in dis burn out jail house. And more din nuff ammo, so, ifin da Spirit is wellin'...we'll make it out of dis fight in one peice."

"When do you think they will hit us Hawk ?" asked Hart

"Don't rightly know, Hart. But a attack may come at any time." I said.

Goose put his Sharps done and took up a 73 rifle. "Thery're toying with us. Trying to put fear in our minds, but it would work. I'm been scared out of my mind a long time ago. "

"Same here" I said. "How bout you, William ?"

Before he could answer a hail of lead came our way. When the hail of lead died down a bit, we started to returning fire . Each time they fired, from horse back, they struck burn dirt. Each time we fired, and man fell dead as a door nail, or when back slumbed over the front of his saddle.

I said two man race for the burned off roof and two of the three scatter guns cut them in two. I reloaded them and started returning fire again. I fired two round fast and two men hit the ground dead. I followed the next with my 1860 Henry and muttered, "Dis one's fer Whiskey !" as I touched off the round. It found it's target. Spinning him around, blood flowing from his surpirsed looking mouth, and from the wound, large and gaping, I fired again, muttering "Good shot Whiskey !" The second round struck near the first, riping the hole even larger.

I then picked my bow and with the lit ceegar Big Goose was smoking, he lit the fuse on one of the dynimaited arrows, and I drew the bow back with all my might and let if fly. We dropped to the ground and as soon as the arrow struck, the dyinmaite went off ! The dirt along with other men went flying up into the air, and landed with a dead thumb.

Then the moaning of the wounded could be heard. We each put them out of they're misery. Those bastards did not deserve life. The silanced.

Goose asked, "Think they'll strike again Hawk ?"

I saw it was near nightfall and said, "Naw Goose, don't think dey'll hit us tonight. We gave'em a good whoppin' dis time. Dey'll go back to der camp, lickin' der wounds, regroup and re-plan out der next move."

Hart also said, "By God Hawk, we're gonna be as hard to get out as a tick on a hound ! Can I help with anything ?"

Yep,...You can bring up some ammo from the back of dis jail. I want each of us to have at least two boxes. And one more "Special" arrow, ifin' you plase." I said. Hart nodded and went to the back of the jail.

I settled down, my back agasit the wall, and noticed I had a cut in my left hand. "How did dat git der. I did not feel nothin'" I thought to myself. As I drank some cold coffee, I looked toward the Doctor's office. I thought, "I wonder how Whiskey's doin' ? Bet wif all dis shootin goin' on out her, she's givin' dat ole Sawbones hell to come out here !"

I chuckled at the thought and asked who was gonig to take frist watch. Willian S. Hart said, "I'll do it ."

"Good,..." I said. "Wake me in a couple hours or ifin' anythin' stired out der."

The fire we had built in the pot belleyed stove was still burning late into the night, giving it's heat to the night. William S. Hart was balled up in his blanket like a child, soreing to beat the band. Big Goose was laying up on his saddle, a 73 laying across his lap, and the Sharps with n reach. He was bundled up against the night air.

I now turned and looked across the empty plain towards Maddog and his small army of hired guns. I actually wondered just how many I could recuit for our side, but then they just might kill us all, and collect they're wages from Maddog. "Too risky", I thought to myself. I could hear the horses grazing in the rear of the burned out jailhouse. The town's folk where all sleeping as it was almost midnight. "Evil spirits move this night !" I said to myself.

I needed to know how badly we had hurt Maddog's hired guns. I slipped a bridle on one of the horses and started to ride toward those hired guns when Goose gripped my horse's bridle and in a whispering voice said to me, "Hawk this is crazy ! You'll never make it back !"

"Yes Goose, I'll be back well before sunup. I need to know jut how much damage we cause Maddog today. I'll be back !" I nudged my pony forward.

As I neared the camp where Maddog's men where, I could see dark, dryed blood, and lots of it in the moonless night. And the evil spirits abound all around me. I could hear the moans and the growls of them,...all around.....sayingto me in Apache....."Silver Hawk will die soon !" over and over again as if a chat.

I was near enough to the hired guns camp...about within 20 yards of the camp. It looked like a military camp with tents here and there. Small fires and sentires standing guard. "Des boys don't take no chances a'tall ! Gotta be a way in ?" I said. I pulled back another ten yards, left my trade mark dargoons on my pony, and took my 1866 Henry and crept into thier camp. In the darkness, no one could tell I was a breed, especailly if I kept away from those fires.

I found Maddog's tent and with a devilish smile made my way inside. He was snoring so loud it was deafing. I reached for my fighting knife to slash his throat, but then I would not attack my enemy as the evil spirits said to do. So I looked around and found what I wanted......Maddog's ivory handled belly gun. I shoved it into my pants and found some and pencil.

"To remember me by.............Hawk." I wrote on it and then went out of the tent. I was no more that 15 feet, standing in the darkness when Maddog came screaming out of his tent with the note in his hand.

"SOUND THE ALARM.........THE BREED IS HERE ! GET HIM ! Maddog shouted. Sunndley all his hired guns where on they're feet, running every which way, putting fires out, getting they're weapons and looking like they had just been bolted awake. I made my way toward a senty when I felt a barrel in my back.

"Don't move a inch....we'll be walking toward Maddog's tent ! " the sentry said, nudgging the barrel in my back.

I didn't move but said, "Come on buddy, I was reliving myself in the brush over ther when the call went out. Don't take me to Maddog...he'll pistol whip me for sure !"

I then felt the rifle barrel being removed from my back and he said, "Ok feller...stick by me and do as I do !"

"Rat !" I said and knocked him out cold with my Confederate Navy and high tailled it to my pony, swung up on it's bare back and rode like the wind. Leaving them searching their camp for the breed. I rode hard to the burned out jail, where Big Goose and William S. Hart where waiting.

Goose grapped my reins and asked me, "What did you learn, Colonel ?"

Hart looked surpised and looking at me said, "Colonel ?.......You......A Colonel......in the Confederate Army ?"

Big Goose looked up at me and replyed, "Damn ! Sorry Hawk ."

"That's ok, Goose. War's over and we lost. Try not to let it happen again." I replyed.

I continued. "I found out dat we hurt'em worse din we thought. Gave'em a pruty good what fer . And I took dis trophy from Maddog's tent....wif him asleep in it !" and I pulled that ivory handled 45 cal belly gun from my waist band of my pants.

"Well now, Hawk..." William S. Hart said, "You done pissed off the Pope with that move. Maddog has on hell of a temper and you just embarressed him. Now, he throw everything he has at us and then some !"

Big Goose stepped up and said, "Well Hart, you can leave any ole time you want !"

I looked at Hart and he looked at me. He knew that if he did leave, he would alweays owe me and that Hart could not stand.

"Aint going now where, Goose." Hart said. Looking at me he asked, "So now what, Hawk ?"

I didnt hesitate and said, "We're dug in purty well. Take more than cannon or two dislodge us. Have all points of fire covered, inculing the back, and the burned out roof. Have earthworks, just big nuff for us to duck behind. Plus we have plenty of ammo. But, knowin' Maddog like I do, I think he will up it a bit." I did not even understand my own talk, as I was talking and thinking like I was in the war again.

Goose looked down at me and, he said, "Yes Sir, Colonel ! Got it all covered !" He looked at Hart and avised him to return to his watch.

In my mind I played out every possible means of attack Maddog's men woould use, and every responce we could respond to it. And then it dawned on me as bright as the raising sun...."Maddog's men will hit the town folk. We are too well fortified at the jail Maddog built.They will hit the town ! " My mind went to full gallop !

"Goose, grab yur Sharps and find a place dat looks rat down main street. Shoot anythin' on horseback and I do mean anythin'.....even Hart and me ! Take some extra shells...You'll most likey need'em !

"Hart .....You cover da left side of da street and da alleys.......I'll cover da rat side and roof ! Git all da ammo ya can carry ! Meet up at da dry goods store !" I said, then I was running off.

I told the dry goods store owner that trouble was coming.

"Figured it wood, for long. Ya dug in like a blood tick on a Mississippi hound down in dat burned out jail. Maddog strenthen it, ya know. He knows he can't hiot ya there. We...this so called town here.....is the weakest point." the shop keeper said.

"Well, Maddog's men are in fer a taste of some real hot sauce. Arm all des folk and give'em one box of ammo each. I'll pay fer'em when we're done here." I said.

The shop keeper looked my in the eye with a worryed look on his face. "You mean, "If we make it throught."

"No Sir, I do not. I mean what I say and I say we will come through. I did not say how, but we will !" I said and smiled at him.

The shop keeper asked, "Just who are these men, Hawk ?"

That surpised me that he would remember my name after so long. I had made an order with him earlier and he remembered that as well.

"Comancherios, des men are Comancherios, sir !" I said.

"What is that ?" he said as he brought uo two more fully loaded rifles up and layed them on the floor.

I looked up at the end of main street. Big Goose was belly down on the church floor. He would be a very hard target to hit. I checked with William S. Hart who was, fitting enough, kneeling down at the door of the Undertakers Office with two loaded rifles.

" Comancherios are men who turned on der own kind. Red, White, Mexicanos.....don't matter none. Dey fight fer gold,...dat's all !"

No sooner than I said those words, I felt the thunder of hoofs striking the hard plain. I motioned for the shop keeper to bring up more shells. Then I saw a man fall, shoot clean out of his saddle, then I heard the boom. I picked my target, lined up the shot and touched off a round. The bullet from my 1860 44-40 struck the rider in his forehead, causing him to spur his horse off the hell on the plain.

While the riders where in some what of disaray, I heard Hart open up, firing as fast as he could lever the rifle, some times missing, sometimes killing a man. I saw a man come riding down main street with a touch in his hand, so did Big Goose and he made short work of him.I ran out of shells, but the shop keeper handed my a 73, new..and said he would keep loading if I kept firing.

Bodies where laying around the street and a rider, who stramled those bodies came riding up the street as fast as hie horse would run. He was covered by returning fire and tossed a two stick of dynimite near the store front.

"LOOK OUT !" I shouted and shoved the shop keeper to the floor behind the counter. Suddnely, the shooting stopped as the explotion took over. The glass was shattered and went flying as the store lifted and then dropped dropped back down into it's foundations. The street was fulled with dust and deris, along with a big hole in the street. As my ears quit ringing, I threw the 73 to my shoulder and fired three rounds fast, Hart had his hands full, as those Comancherios where trying to come up the alley behind him. The scatter gun made short work of the pair.

"DRUMMIN" UP SOME BUSSNESS FOR HIM !" Hart shouted over to me. I saw a man on the roof of the Funeral polar, took careful aim and fired. The man hit the ground dead and I saw Hart aiming his rifle at me. A bullet bite into the door jam in front of him and he pulled back. "THOUGHT YOU WAS AIMING AT ME !" he shouted.

I noticed it was very quiet in the shop, well...as quiet as a shop can be in a fire fight. During the blast, the shop keeper turned to protect his wife who was helping out also. The shopper keeper took a large shard of glass in his back, near his spine. "Damn " I said and rushed to him. He was bleeding bad, so I took three hankerchefs and pulled the shard of glass out of his back and said to his wife, "Stuff two into his his wound..take the thrid and used as bandage !" She gethered up her courage and gently shoved the two hankerchefs in his wound and wrap his wound with the thrid. I started to return fire once more.

Then there was a lull in the shooting. "Der reloadin !" I thought. Just then, the back door opened and in stepped Doc. "DAMN IT SAWBONES....YA WANT YUR FOOL HEAD BLOWN OFF ! " I shouted at him, then touched off another two rounds. Anyone trying to get at us, Big Goose took care of them in short order. "How's Whiskey doin" ?"

"She was loading her carbine the last I saw her ! I tryed to talk sense into her but it was no good !" the Doc said. I fired again and then saw a body fire in front of me not more then ten feet. I looked up and saw William S. Hart, waving at me.

"Lord almighty Doc, dat women's head is da hardest rock da Almighty ever made and I can find no sign on it ! I said to Doc as the bullets spit splinters of door jam at me. At the end of the street, giving support to Goose, I saw Whiskey, behind a barrel with her shoulder bandaged up, levering her carbine like no tomorrow..

"Nuff of dis !" I said. I took my bow and "special" arrows, lit the fuse and let one fly as the men charged up main street. I then lit another "special" arrow and let it fly just where I thought the men who made it through the first explotion and flying lead, would be. It went off with a even louder noise than the first. As the dirt fell, I saw the last rider, on horse back racing toward Whiskey. I derw my throwing hawk and threw as hard as I could. At the same time Goose and Hart fired. My hawk hit him square in the back. So did the two bullets. He was dead before he hit the ground.

"Doc...you got'em ?" I ask, refering to the shop keeper.

"Yes, I do ! You go check on Miss Whiskey !" the Sawbones said.

After assureing all was clear, I ran toward Whiskey, shouting "WHAT DA HELL YOU THINK YUR DOIN ?"

To which she cooly replyed as she jack another shell into her carbine, "Why Mr. Hawk....Saving you're ass of course. Seems to be coming a habit of late !"

"Whiskey, Gal, You got a very hard head..Ya know dat ! What wood happen ifin' ya got hit !" I said to her. I had spent many an hour praying to the Spirits for her to throw it away like that. She was special, she was my friend and my kin, although she only knew she was my friend.

I turned away and walked through the dead and dieing. Each man I saw was still alive, I remidied that in short order, with a bullet to the head. I made sure the undertaker was going to need help. Plenty of boys there needed work of some kind, or else they may turn out like me or these outlaws here. As I walked among them, I took there rifles, gun belts and pistols and rounds they had and put them in a cart. I then walked up to the Sawbones office.

"How's dat shop keeper doin', Doc ?" I asked.

He frowned and said, "Touch and go. I'm afraid he's going to be in the woods for a while."

"Keep me posted Doc. Ifin' he lives or dies,...I want to know." I said.

I took my bow and two arrows and swung up on my pony and as I headed out, Big Goose asked, "Where to, Hawk ?"

I had my war face painted on, and just before mounting, I put two red lines under each eye. "I mean to find Maddog and kill him like dat dog he is !"

"I'll ride with ya, Hawk. You'll need help." William S. Hart said.

"As will I, Sir !" Big Goose answered.

I shook my head, "I ride alone for dis fight. Yur help is not needed." and spured my horse forward.

Hart shouted out to me, "Tell Maddog, I'm still alive !" I raised my bow to signal to him that I heard him.

I followed the tracks in the hard earth for a awys. I knew the way to their camp, for I had just come from there the other day. The trail was hot and many horses rode out of that camp, one of them had to be Maddog's horse.

I followed the tracks untill one by one they broke off. Only one went due north, so it was that one I followed. I did not know if it was Maddog's horse or not, but I would follow it untill I found out it was not. Alass, it was not to be. Maddog had slipped away.....again !

I rode into the next town, walked into the Saloon and ordered a drink. The bar keep seemed to not hear me. "Bar keep....whiskey here...now !" I said loud tapping the highly polished bar. "WE aint got no whiskey, only rye and we don't serve no stinkin injuns !"

I sniffed under my arms and it's true I did have this ceartin fragience. I tipped my hat back, reaching over the bar and said, "I got blue eyes, Yankee...Rye NOW !" and drew my threwing hawk. "We don't serve no stinkin' breeds in here neither !" Well, that did it, I slamed his nose onto that highly polished bar.

"Honey, take the man this bottle,Tell him it's on the house and he can join his friends over there. They speak highly of him. And Honey, just that and nothing more !" a strange man told this soiled dove. A strange man indeed. He was dressed like a dandey..pin striped suit, flowered vest, shoes on his feet, not boots, and walked with a slight limb. Plus he sported a pencel thin mustache.The soiled dove brought the bottle over to me just as the bar keeper was picking his head up off the bar, so......I slamed it down again, frimly breaking his nose.

"Mister, my boss said to give you this. It's on the house and you can join you're friends over there." and she motioned her head to a large table in the conor. I smiled slighty as I walked over.

"I might be deaf, but I aint blind, Big Goose. What brings you dis way !" I said as I sat down, pretending not to notice the others setting at the table.

"You aint deaf, Hawk and you damn well know it !" Big Goose said. "I think you remember these folks."

There at the table was Whiskey and William S. Hart, both smiling to beat the band. Whiskey chimes in first,

"Knew you where coming here Hawk. Next town after the trail went cold. And I know yur fondest for likker, so here we are."

"Besides Hawk, I need to deliver the message that I'm still alive myself !" Hart said to me.

I threw the likker back and said, "Southern Sour Mash. Try some y'all !"

"I, myself will not indulge in the comsuming of likker, on my part !" Big Goose said.

We all looked at him and shrugged our shoulders.

I asked, "Who's our benefactor, Whiskey ?"

She responed with, "He is Victor White. One of the meanest, nastsyest and richest man alive."

"And who's da meanest ?" I asked, almost smiling.

"Well, here's a drink to him then ....one rich nasty, mean bastard !" William S. Hart said.

"I best git on my way...trail gittin' cold !" I said.

"Trail been cold Hawk and you damn well know it." Hart said.

"On second thought, I will have some of that vail smelling amber liquid." Big Goose said, pouring himself a shot, and sipping it.

"Hawk, you can't see nothing this night. No moon and no stars. Besides a storm is coming. You staying here and thats that !" Whiskey said.

"Besides, Hawk, You know Miss Whiskey here is right !" Big Goose said, reaching for the bottle again, refilling his glass.

"And , don't ya want to know what Victor White is up too ?" Whiskey asked.

It was true, I did want to know what he wanted us for, but for now, I wanted a bed. I han't slept in days and I was exhasuted from the big fight back in the "town."

I rented a room, and told the clerk I did not want to be distrubed and I meant it. I payed in cold solid gold coin and went up to my room. A basin with cool water was waiting. I took off my guns, left them on the bed and walked over to wash my face. Looking in the mirrow, I saw all the faces of the men I had killed, past and present. I snapped out of it with a knock on my room's door. Like greased lighting, I pulled Maddog's belly gun from my waist band.

"Guess da Clerk ain't very clear........go away ! " I said and walked over to my bed and layed down. When I closed my eyes, I saw the dead men again, asking when I had killed them. I could not answer as I was so tired and fell a sleep. And I slept a full sleep.

I then heared men walking up the steps,...very slowly as the rain was coming down hard. He was about to open the door, when the rain let up and I heard a set of spurs jingle. I slowly cocked the belly gun and waited. The rain started coming down hard again and the door flew open and I faned the belly gun five times. And five of Maddog's men fell dead. Well, four fell dead, one was on his knees with his guts in his hand. I walked over to him and cocked the belly gun again. The dieing man looked up at me, so much in pain he could not speak, his mouth open and his guts in his hands. He looked up at me, and I said, "Yur spurs !" and fired.

I strapped my guns back on and went down stairs. Looked at the clerk I said, "Yur going need the undertaker again !" and walked out on the board walk. I looked toward the Saloon and a thought of the Hanging Tree Saloon and my mine went through my mind. So, I headed for the livery stable. When I got there, I took off my wet overcoat, hanged in on a stall post, layed down on the fresh dryed hay, drawed my Confederate Navy 44 and drifted off to a sound sleep.

I was awaken at the break of dawn, the smell of a wood fire burning close by and a small boy came in the barn with a cup of coffee. " Is you's da man what's killin' all dem bad mens ?" he asked me. I took the coffee he offered me and sipped it and marveled at how good it tasted. "Yup, I be dat man, sonny." He smiled real big and said "Good den. dem mens need to meet der maker !" "Leroy...git back here rat now !" I heard a male voice call out. I sipped the coffee slowly, putting my gun belt back on and walked out the door of the barn and headed toward the cafe.

As I neared the cafe another boy ran up to me and said. "Mister, Mister, Over der,..." he said pointing to the same hotel I was in and said, "Mr. Santana wants to talk to ya. And Mr Santana don't take no fer a answer !" he said. Then I said that long scar on his face.

"Oh he do, do he ?" I said as I lit up a ceegar. I looked up at the window he pointed to. I drew a hard puff of the ceegar and started to walk toward the hotel. "Hey....you can't go up there ! " the clerk said as I started walking up the special stairway.

"I'm expected !" I said, still puffing on the ceegar.

I walked up to the door where the balconey was and before I could knock, a ruff sounding voice from the other side said, "It's open !"

I pushed the door open and looked round, expecting some one to start shooting at me.

He laughed which only served to heighten my awareness. I walked in the well furshinshed room and looked at the man. He was dressed like a dandy, a lettle fat, sitting behind a big oak desk.

"Well now, Mr. Hawk. I admire you're handy work last night " his voice gravelled out. My name is John. Last names are not important here. I want you to work for me,"

I said to him, "Well John..give me one good reason why I would want to work for you."

John leaned back in his chair and replyed, "Why,,, for boundy reward, of course. I did my homework on you, Mr. Hawk. I know working and tracking men is what you do, and you know the man I want."

I bite hard down into my ceegar and said "Maddog !"

John laughed and replyed, "The one and only Maddog. The fastest gun around !"

I looked John in the eye and said, "Except me ! You made a bad mistake sending those men to my room last night, John !"

"They where mere pawns to a game. The last tuff guy that stood in this room went out the window there with a hole in his chest after I pitols wiped him !"

I racked the sole of my boot across the blood stained floor. "You plannin' on doin dat to me too ? " and drew slighly on my ceegar.

"Naw, it would'nt do any good. Just get ya killed is all." John learned up against his desk. He looked almost as mean and hatefull as Maddog. Almost.

"What do I git ifin' I bring Maddog back to ya ?" I asked John.

"I'll give you this town ! The whole thing ! Why, I own every buliding in this town. You bring my Maddog, you can have the town !"

"And if I don't ? What if I kill him meownself ? What din, John ?" I asked.

He smiled and said, "Then my men that you've been killing will kill you, Whiskey, Big Goose as well. As you can see Hawk...You have no choice !" he said, sipping on some irsh whiskey.

I blew ceegar smoke into the air. John had me over a barrel and he knew it. He had done his homework on me. He knew I had been a US Deputy Marshal and I cared about folk. Bout I cared more about Whiskey and Big Goose.

"Ok. I'll bring him in, but first I want yur word you will not harm my friends ! Give me yur word or we'll gun fight it out rat here and now !" I said to John.

John laughed. "Hawk you are in no postion to ether bargin or gun fight me as those two men outside that door will shoot though this door, but I will agree that none of you're friend will be harmed in any way."

"Yur word, John, or we are both dead !" I said as I stood my ground with this fat man.

He sighed, "Alright Hawk. You have my word. Now, git back to that so called town and get outfitted and ready to ride in two days."

I rode back to our little town in a brisk trot wondering what I would tell the others there. I knew no matter what story I told them, Big Goose and Whiskey would figure out I had to do this. I felt this load of weight on my shoulders, yet I knew this is what I had to do. I was going after Maddog, in my own time. Now, I was still going after him, but I was being forced to do so. And I could not let Whiskey nor Big Goose know. That would be harder than I figured.

As I neared our town, I saw new buildings going up. A new bank, a Church, a School, and a new Boarding House. I smiled just a bit, knowing that me and Whiskey had a hand in this town's birth. Now, I had to go to my mine, and almost strip it of mined gold to by supplies for the trip to come.

With my horse heavly laden with the gold, I rode into town. Went into the Assey office, exchanged the gold into coin and went straight to be dry goods store.

"Mornin Sam !" I said, as I closed the door behind me. Need to order some supplies again.

Sam got his paper and pencil and went to writing. "Be the same order Hawk, as normal ?"

I shook my head no. "Not dis time Sam. Going on a long extended trip. Need ten pounds each of coffee, beans, bacon, flour, and some bear grease, ifin' ya got it. Don't tend to melt in da sun as dat other grease."

Sam wrote all it down very fast, like he was trying to keep up. " Five pounds each, salt, sugar, pepper, and and some rollin' tobaccer." I said.

Sam looked up at me and I said, "I am half white, ya know !"

Sam went back to writing. "I want 20 boxs of bullets and as much dyinmite as ya can git from da mines round here. And Sam, keep dis part of my order a secret, ok Sam ?" I said.

"Sure thing Hawk. It will take sometime to get this large order ready. May take a day or two." Sam said.

" I aint got dat much time to spare. Can ya hurry it up a bit ? Oh, I need a few bottles of whiskey too." I said.

" I'll try Hawk. Where can I find you ?" Sam asked.

I lit a cegar that I took from a jar and said "Over at livery. I need to do some horse trading. I'll be staying der too." I told Sam.

Sam nooded that he understood and I walked out and quickly went over to the livery stable. The door was ajar so I went inside. Setting at a very old desk, was a midium sized man with gray hair. And some of it looked like it may have been burned. I felt safe and walked in.

"How Do....Name's Jed. What can I do you fer ?" He said to me.

"I need to buy dat Appolossa out der in yur corral. He's a fine animal, strong, and heathly. How much ?" I asked.

"Humm, I ready need that horse,ya know. I don't think I can let him go......" said Jed.

"How bought I buy dat saddle, blanket, and bridle. How bought I buy all dat along wif da horse ?" I asked.

"Don't know......" Jed said. "Had a tentive offer of ten dollars for te whole rig inculing the horse."

I let it seem as if I had to think on it and fanilly said, "Jed, I wanta git some pack horses too. Like den quater horses out yonder. Somethin' dat can carry a heavly load fer a fer spell over ruff country."

Jed rubbed his chin , thinking. "How does fiveteen dollars sound to ya ?"

"I'll make it twenty ifin' ya throw dat packs in too !" I said.

Jed stood up, exteneded his hand and said, "Deal Mister. Pect you'll be wanting to sleep in the spare room again ?"

"Shore nuff....just fer a day or two." I said.

"Hawk is it ? Well, what ever you're name is, I can't help it if Whiskey finds out you're back. Goose aint gonna like you leaving with out him none a'tall." Jed said to me.

"I'll pick up da horses before first lite. Want to git out while da gittin's good." I said. "And, dat's a fine boy ya got der Jed. Smart too !"

"Thank ya Reb. You are a former Confederate, aint ya ?"

"Aint former...still am cuz I never surrendered ! Most folks think I did cuz of a rumor, but I never surrendered. No Sir Jed. I still got my saber ! Aint turned into a plow share nether !" I said to Jed and walked out the door.

I went around back to the spare room, and went inside. All my things where just as I had left them a few days ago. I unrolled the canuvs bag I had placed in there and started checking my limited supplies. That would all be changed in the first rays of daylight tomarrow. But I had this nagging feeling eatting away at me.

"Do I tell Whiskey and Big Goose thry can't come with me or do I ride out wif out tell'em ?" I thought. "Damn it....I tgotta tell'em and ifin' I lucky git to drink some of the finest whiskey da world has to offer wif out payin' fer it !" Well, it was as plain as da nose on yur face as to which one I would pick !

I saddled up the Appy and tied the four quaterhorses with heavley laden packs on their backs and rode down to the Hanging tree Saloon. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted like I was home. This was not going to be easy, I could tell.

"Hawk, my old friend ! I thought ya had gotten killled or something along those lines.... But you are alive ! Good to see ya Hawk !" Big Goose said, his loud booming voice carryed all over the Saloon. So much for asking him to cover for me while leave.

Whiskey heard that and was already on her way through the crowd between the bar and the faro table. She went behind the bar and took out a old bottle and three glasses. Whiskey walked up to me, smiled, then slapped my face as hard as she could. The she proceeded to pour our drinks as clamly as if nothing had happened.

"Hawk...Damn yur Half Breed hide ! How dare you run off after that fight....searching for Maddog feller. Thought maybe you found him and did yur worst to him, dang you !" Whiskey hollared out even louder than Goose. The whole Saloon with dead quiet. All eyes where on her, then the eyes turned toward me. I felt like taking the learther thong off my Confederate Navy, but I was amgong two very good friends.

I shouted out, "You folks go about yur bussness. Aint nothin' to see or hear over here !" With some muttering, folks slowly went back to drinking and playing faro. Then I sat down and sipped the whiskey....that specail whiskey that her family made ages ago. It was smooth as milk with honey. It's amber color was inticing enough to tatse. But that amber fluid had a strenght to kick butt but very slowly....Sneak up on you, like. Just I had had done to my enemies.

"Sorry about leavin' like dat, folks. I got tangled up a few times with Maddog's men and worked my way back here." I said as Whiskey and Goose sat down, sipping the inveting amber likker. It was a mite strong for Goose, who, coughed at his first sipp. "Excuse me folks. Proceed Hawk."

Whiskey threw her drink back and what was left of mine and poured two more. "You someof a bitch, yur going after Maddog, aint cha ?" She looed into me eyes, and I knew she saw the hurt there that was caused by all I had done in the past and what I had to do now. Never could look at those eyes and lay a straight lie. I could look down the barrel of a gun with my enemy on the other side and not flich. But not Whiskey's eyes.

"Yup, I am.....and I aint takin' y'all. Can't risk you and Goose here bein' seen. Da man I have to work for may found out y'all are helpin' ifin' anyone of the enemy lives to tale the tale." I said. I threw my drink back. It went down smooth and I pushed the glass toward Whiskey.

"Let me guess, Hawk." Whiskey said as she poured another round. "The so called man has you over a barrel and you have to go after Maddog, right ?"

I nodded yes.

Goose asked, "What's the payment for bringing us into this, Hawk ?"

"Yur life's !" I said.

Goose and Whiskey threw thier drinks back, slamed thier glasses down while Whiskey poured anothrer round.

I pointed to a man at the bar, sipping his drink ever so slowly. "Goose, when Whiskey shouted out my name at the top of her lungs, dat man did not trun to look. He's sent by Maddog and will report back to him direcly. " I said.

Goose watched him intently and when he headed for the batwing doors, Goose stood, tipping his hat to Whiskey, winking at me and followed that man out the batwing doors.

Whiskey looked at him, then back at me and asked, "Now where in the hell's he going ?"

Looking down at my rink, throwing my drink back again, said "Don't want to be dat feller !" and pushed my glass toward Whiskey. Absent mindedly, Whiskey poured another drink. I had, by now decided to walk my horses back to livery, unsaddle and drop the packs till one hour before sun up. Then I'd go to the cafe, be thier first costumer of thr day and after eatting, be on my way.

"I did not shout you're name loud, Hawk !" Whiskey said.

I replyed, "Well, yur shoutin had a more effect din Goose's shoutin' my name all over !" I said, throwing my whiskey back, and pushing my glass toward Whiskey for a refill. I was starting to fill the effects of that heavenly liqud and now I just had to maintine this feeling till sun up.

Whiskey asked me straight, "Hawk, will Maddog try to kill me and Goose if we help you ?" I nodded yes and Whiskey and she started to fume with anger.

I pitty Maddog when Whiskey had her dander up. She is one Southern Bellie you don't want to cross her then.

Goose walked back into the Saloon about this time and made a cutting motion across his throat. I knew what that meant and looked down, hoping the brim of my had crovered my face. I saw the brace of guns he was carrying.

Goose made his way back to our table and looked at me and Whiskey. Taking the bottle in his hand and looking through it, and shaking it, he looked at me and set my beloved dragoons on the table. Those guns are a one of a kind, and that man was wearing them.

Goose sat down and layed the brace of dragoons on the table. "Don't worry Whiskey, they are no loaded. In Hawk's condition, he could not hit the broad side of a barn if he was inside it !"

I just smiled at looked at Big Goose. I think I thanked him for senting that feller to meet his maker,...I think. The rest of the night is blank to me.

I awoke with a soiled dove sleeping next to me. A blacksmith pounding out a new horse shoe in my head, and I had all the the west Texas sand in my mouth. I open the curtains, which, made my head hurt and the damn sun was making to much noise coming up ! I was, indeed....hug over !

"Mornin Darlin. " the soiled dove said, as she was still in bed. "Not to worry none, my services whar payed in full, Lover !" All I couold manage is a nod, and a "Hum !". Both made my head pound ! I pulled on my pants, leaving my suspenders hanging down, I picked up my gun belt and put my dragoons on my hips. I put my hat on, opening the door I started out and said, "Clean up and stay avalable Darlin....I my need some lovin' dat I can remember later !" and walked out.

"Bottles, I need massive amounts of hot black coffee, and a bottle of Bulliet, please." He brought me a bottle and poured a hot cup of coffee. I opened the bottle, pouring some in and said to Bottles, as I lefted the cup to him. "Hair of da dawg dat bite me last night ! and sipped it.

Suddenly I left the breeze change when the batwing doors open in the Hanging Tree Saloon. Some one walked in. In a flash, I drew my dragoon and saw a figure in the sun light.

"Whoaaa, there Hawk ! Be mighty careful where you point that thing, it just may accidently discharge !" Big Goose said as he slaped my shoulder. It hurt my head. I poured myself another cup, with the Bulliet and told Goose, "Belly up to da bar Goose.......It seems I'm buyin !"

"Think I will Hawk ! Bottles, a cup, if you don't mind. " Goose poured himself a cup and I slide the bottle toward him, which he waved off. "You're loss. Kills what's ever in dat brew !" I said as I sipped on another cup.

"Well...Well.....There's Mister "Got Rocks" himself. Botle, a round for the house. Put it on Hawk's tab !" Whiskey said as she slapped my shoulder, which hurt my head. Did ya have a good time with that red head ? She new at the Hanging Tree." she said with a big grin on her face.

"O.k. Nuff is nuff. Lay off fer a spell till I can get my thoughts collected. Whars my Appy ? and my pack horses ?" I asked.

Goose answered, "I took them to livery. They have nice fresh hay and oats to eat and are well cared for, I assure you Hawk." I belevied him. One thing Goose is, he takes care of ainmals that take care of him.

I took my cup, the bottle and at down at our table. "Da last I remeber is lookin' at yur ugly mug Goose ! So what da hell happened ?"

"You where back to you're old self, Hawk. Drinkin' and partyin' with the devil may care attidiuet ! Welcome back !" Whiskey said as she gave me a hug. PEEE YUUUU ! ! ! You need a bath Hawk ! Bottles, get some bath water ready and some lye soap. Hawk here's gonna need it."

I needed to get my wits back about me and maybe a hot bath may just do the trick. I grabbed a cold biscuit, and headed for the bath. I smelled of horse sweat, body sweat and the blood of others. I stripped down and settled into the hot soapy water with my dragoons close by. "Burn'em " I told the wash women. "Git my some new ones." I told her as I handed her some money. "Don't want to look like no damn dandy, By God ! Nice clean normal clothes, please." I asked her and settled back into the water.

Again, I felted the breeze and I knew someone was in the room with me. Bottles, the wash women, who just left, Big Goose and Whiskey knew I was bathing. I put my hand out and layed it on my dragoon, clearing leather.

"Well, what'd you....Mr. Hawk...sittin' in a bath water....all nice and clean like. Be makin'in better fer da undertaker !" He started to take aim, but I was faster. I fired, striking him twice in the chest. He fell back, shot going into the ceiling.

"What's going on back here !" Whiskey came running in, her Peacemaker in her hand.

"Looks like I made dis feller mad at some point." I said, waving my dragoon around.

Big Goose came in, rifle in one hand, Colt Walker pistol in the other. Clearing his voice Goose said, Cleaning you're pistol, Hawk ?"

I looked and what a sight to see, a naked half breed, hat on, with a smoking dragoon in his hand and nothing else. I smiled and set back in the water. "Bottles, more hot water here ! I called out.

After I had a bath, and the water now muddy looking and cold, I got dressed and walked into the Hang Tree Saloon which was right across the street. I looked into over the batwing doors and looked from end to end. This place was well alive with drinkers, gamblers, card sharks and soiled doves and it was just past 1 pm !

Whiskey was doing her thing. Checking on the paying coustmers, and bouncing out the non-paying and the drunks. Sometimes a riverboat gambler would get caught and most likey get pistol wipped. And the soilded doves where busy going from man to man and room to room. The ceegar, pipe and roll you're own's was as think as fog. Now this was my kind of place !

I walked in and tapped Whiskey on her shoulder. Judging by how fast she spun around, I guess she thought my a drunkard.

"Well now......All gussyed up and smelling like a rose ! If you where not wearing those dragoons, those damn hand cannons, I do not think I would have know ya ! Bottles, bring me my brand and two glasses........Clean ones this time !" Whiskey shouted over the noise.

Just then a shot from a small hand gun rang out. The man fall out the room door and the soiled dove had a belly gun in her hand.

"Just what did this man need die for, Coral Ann ? " Whiskey shouted up at here. All eyes where now on Coral Ann, to which she answered, "Told dat bastrd not to hit me, but he never payed me no mind...hit me any way...two times......and didn't even pay nether !"

Whiskey sighed and looked down at the floor. "Damn !" she mudderd. "Coral Ann come here !" Whiskey stood there, her hands on her hips and Coral Ann came up to her, respectfully. " Get over to the undertaker's place....Tell him he has to work tonight. Then go to the Do'c offce...get you'rself fixed up, then come back here. You can wait tables or some thing. Tell the ole Sawbones he can deducted his price from what he owes Shelly !" Coral Ann grabbed a shawl and through the batwaing doors she went, into the night.

"Hey Goose....have a seat...take a load off. Jaw with me and Hawk for a spell. Botlles...another glass here.....clean too....just like the other two where ! I swar, ya got to keep on you're toes to operate a Saloon !" Whiskey said.

Big Goose took the shot glass fulled with Whiskey's special brand, held it up high, as if thanking the Lord for something, and then sipped it. The he noticed me.

"So Hawk......Tell us about you leaving town tomarrow and we can not come with you.......Any truth to that ?" Goose looking me straight in the eye, sipping his whiskey ever so slowly. Ifin Goose was not my friend, I would have my dragoon in hand, ready to fire.

"Yup, I recon so. Going after Maddog and y'all aint comin' along ! I gotta to dis meouwnself now. !" I said. I threw what was left of my home made whiskey back and slide my shot glass toward Whiskey and the bottle that held the likker of the Gods.

Whiskey and Big Goose where very angery with me and they had every right to be. We had been through alot of scarpes together and now, I about to head out, on horseback with three pack horses in tow, with out saying why. I knew this just would not do.

I pushed my hat back and said, "My dear friends....I have to track Maddog down and bring him , dead or alive back to Santana, or... Santana will send nuff men to destory dis town and ever one in it. Dat means men, women and children. I do not intend to abide by dat. So, I'm leavin' out in a few minutes. Whiskey, ......please tell Jose Bye and I'll try to make it back. Aint promisin' through !"

"Tell her yur damn self !" I heard this voice come from the bottom of the stair case.

I looked at Whiskey and Goose and said, "Excuss me folks." and went up to Jose. We talked for a mintue on two. She tryed to talk me out of this fool hearty trip, but I was determined to do it. I whispered something into her ear and I saw tears rolling down her face. She then kissed me and I took her by the hand.

"Whiskey...do me a flavor....Take Jose here off the working girls roster till I git back....if I git back y'all. I want ya to shoot any man dat lays a hand on her. I've put my brand on her now, ya hear ?!" I asked.

"Of course, Hawk ! She'll help Bolltes tend bar till you return.....I shore wish you would tell us what this is all abouot....why Goose and I can't come with ya !" Whiskey said, almost in a pleading voice. Her quivering voice and Jose's tears where weighting heavley on my heart. But now was not the time to be thinking with a heart.

"Tell ya when I return......Maddog in tow !" I answered.

All three walked me through the batwinged doors to my Appy horse. "Hawk....best be taking this along." Goose handed me his long range Sharps in 45-110. "Done put some shells in the pack. Take care of that rifle.....Was my Pappy's...and I want it back !"

I swung up into the saddle, taking the rifle and laying it across my legs and saddle horn. "I will, my friend !"

I looked at Whiskey, tipping my hat said, "Ladies !" and spured my horse forward.

"By God Hawk, told you not to do that ! Gonna be hell to pay when you get back , I promise ya !" Whiskey shouted out.

With my back to her and Goose and Jose I waved shouting, "Put it on my tab !" and headed northeast. I was going to start my search to Maddog's trail in the same town where I talked with Santana. Maddog was there at one time......maybe someone there knew him or which way he went.

I rode untill I hit the next town along the trail, about a days ride from the Hanging tree saloon. I had stopped along the trail to let all my animals drink from a shallow creek, one that I knew would not be there on my return trip. I hit town just at sun set and went straight to livery.

"Howdy, Stranger ! Need yur horses looked after, do ya ?" said this old man. I would see

he must have been atleast 80 years, blad...not a hair on his head,but fully bearded, not a tooth in his mouth, but most assueredly, could eat a steak all with his gums. His clothing was well worn, but clean with all the paches well placed. Leaning near the anvil was a 1860 mule ear 12 and leaning angasint the stable wall was a 1866 Henry Big Boy. On his hip was one Colt Dragoon. I admire a man with one Dragoon, the way it kicks and all.......He must know how to use it and was not one to be trifuled

with.

"Yes Sir, I most surely do. I would like dem hosses feed wif oats and not hay.....had nuff of it a ways back." I said to him. "Put my saddle over on the stall walls and packs and trees together over younder in the dry. Water'em good and I'll be back later. I need some grub and a drink."

"Smarty Pants !" this old timer said to me."You can un-saddle yur horse and put yur saddle on dat stale wall and you can put you packs and trees over younder in a dry place. I aint gonna do dat fer ya !" He said to me. I started to say something but when I felted the barrel of that Dragoon press into my gut, well,..... I knew this old timer wasn't as dumb as he looked and was fast at the draw to boot.

I cleared my throat and said, "Well Sir....Can I ask ya to at least git some oats and water fer my animals.....and to git dat pistol out of my gut fer it goes off ?"

"Spect I can do dat Sonny.....Be four bits........per hoss !" he said with a grin and his hand out.

I grugingly handed over the money and he scooped it up and asked if I was a breed.

"What ifin' I was ?" I said to him unsaddling my Appy. "What din ?"

"Oh,...nothin.....thought maybe you could inlighten me on da ways of a half breed women, dat's all !" he said with a smile.

I moved to the last of my pack horses after taking all the packs off them and was now removeing the frames the packs rested on. "Old timer...I said with a smile on my face,..."Ifin' I could figger dat out, why, I'd put it in a bottle and make hundreds of dollers ! Hawk's da name" I said with my hand out strenthed....."And I am a breed."

He smiled and took my hand....."Figgered dat.........C.M. Smith is my name. Don't ratly know what C.M. means.....Maw died fer she could told me. You gonna be stayin long here, Mister Hawk ?" he asked

"Till I find out what I'd come fer." I said as I was starting to cruly my horses. I stepped out from the shadows into the flickering light of the limps and heard, "Well I'll be sheep dipped !" the old timer said as he saw I was wearing two Dragoons.....one cross draw...which was not easy to do.

"See you like dim hand helded cannons too ! " C.M. said pointing at my hip.

I shook my head and replyed "Yup...Like how dey speak wif authorty ! " I thought that I may have just made a new friend.

I patted C.M. Smith on his hard shoulders and headed for the cafe down the street and past the bank. Went in and sat at the bar and made my order to this real big ole boy.

"Steak and fryed taters, nigros freloas, biscuit and coffee. " I said.

"Be four bits." the waiter said, tapping his finger on the bar. I pulled out

four bits from my shirt pocket along with my star, showing them off to him and quickly shoving them back into my vest pocket. "When da vittles git here, so will da four bits." I said.

That big ole boy frowned and got down on one elbow and said, "What's dat matter Marshal.......You aint trustin' me ?"

"Not a fer as I can throw ya !" I said to him. "Grub first, din money !" I said to him.

He walked back to the kicthen, calling out my order to the cook along with the fact that I was a Marshal. Everyone looked my way and I just tryed to inrine them and eat my supper in peace.

I walked out of the cafe and lite a ceegar in the hot of the night. I pulled hard on the ceegar and walked across the dry dusty street to the Saloon. I could hear music, laughter and smell ceegar smoke. I stood at the batwinged doors, and looking for a empty table. I found one way in the back, so I walked in and sat down. It wasn't long before a soiled dove came back and took my order for two whiskeys. She went to the bar, and told another soiled dove I was alone. She tryed to talk me into going up stairs, but I wasn't having any.

I tossed a coin in air with my thumb toward her and said, "You can let it be know dat's Hawk's back in town agin."

The coin landed on her chest and she smiled......"Shore, Mister Hawk......easyest money I made all week !"

Did not take long to the word to find it's interned target and for it to come to me. She saw me from the batwinged doors and walked in,....pourd as a peacock... and set herself down at my table. Her hand went straight for the extra shot glass sitting on my table.

"I see you have not forgotten my favortie drink, Mr. Hawk. And I see you have'nt lost you're taste for fine whiskey. I know this is not a socal call, just my luck, ....so Mr. Hawk, what can I do for you ?" she said.

I sipped my whiskey and I could see folks in this Saloon all where still going about their business, which struck me as odd. She seened to notice my uneasyness and said, takinf my hand,..."Mr. Hawk. at one time, I owned this place and went to where the real money is. I own the only brothel in town, just down the street and around the corner. Relax, " she said. She pulled up her dress to show me two garters on one leg. She had two Pepperboxes to each garter. "No one well bother here !"

She had the look of a very well to do women. Mature, but not old at all. She had a fancy white dress with bule stripping and a hat, tilled one side to match. She wore white gloves to cover the nasty scars she got from her ex husband, who she gladly sent to boot hill. I sipped my hand inside her glove and felt the softness of her scared hands.

"Remember what fun times we had together, Hawk.?" She asked. I nodded and said I did.

"Some of da best times in my life, Dolly. I said, throwing my whiskey back and ordereding another two.

"You know.....I have an opening in my employ for a bouncer. As I recall, you where very good at making a tight ship around there." Dolly said, sipping in her whiskey.

I reached into my vest pocket, pulling out some coins and let my badge sipp out.

Dolly picked it up , looking at it and said, "Oh hell Hawk ....Why didn't you tell me ? Now I feel embarreassed to have asked you to join me !" and throw her whiskey back.

"Just did not know how, Dolly." I said. "I'm lookin fer a feller." I said to her.

"When aren't you, Hawk ?! What fellow are you seeking information about ?" Dolly said, a litlle anger in her voice.

"Maddog......You do not know which way he went, do ya ?" I asked her.

"My Word, ...You sure do have you're hands full with this one." she replyed. "He is just as his name implies. For he surely is mad indeed. You do remember what he did in Atlanta during the war, do you not ?" Dolly asked me.

I sipped my whiskey and ordered two bourbons now. "Yup, I shore do remember what dat bastard did. Dat evil Sherman ordered his troops not to leave a buildin' standin', crops standin' or live stock alive. I hate dat man fer dat. He and his troops should have just takin' what dey needed and left dat rest. I know a few folks dat word like to git hold of'em too !"

"Well,...." Dolly said, sipping her bourbon now. "I heard tell he went northeast of here and he was heavyly armed with most of his men and some new faces I had not seen before. He ordered them to wear red leggings to idetifiy them in a cowrd or in a gun fight. But I do know this, Hawk....That man is very insane. If you are going after him, please, be careful !"

I took Dolly's words to heart and then I said, "Well, gittin' late. Best git back and find C.M. and see ifin' he'll let be bed down in da hay fer da night. Be leavin' at day break."

She smiled, knowing I was looking for an invit. "You will do no such thing, Hawk ! You are the only man I will share my bed with and not charge them ! Now, shall we depart through the back door ?" Dolly said, already moving that way, my hand in her white gloved hands.

I threw my bourbon back and smiled while I headed toward the back door. "Dis maybe da last night I sleep wif a white women, in a soft bed, fer a while. I'm gonna enjoy dis !" I thought as we left the Saloon together.

The dawn came much too early for me and Dolly. She was a fantisic lover as well as a lisener. I had meet her in the desert, after banditos and robbed the stage she was in, killing the driver and shotgun rider, and stealing the horses. They had raped Dolly and left her for dead. But Dolly hung on untill I found her. She was scared to death of me at first, but I taught her not to fear me nor any Injun. We where not like these dogs. At any rate, she hunted then all down, with my help, and kilted them. Since then we have worked together, had fun together, laughed together and made love together.

I smelled the bacon and eggs frying, along with brewing coffee and the banking of busciuts. It seemed to me that Dolly was going out of her way to keep me here with her. Saddly I had to tell her, "Dolly, Santana is black mailing me to bring Maddog to him so he can do his worst to him. I gotta go now !"

"Hawk, " Dolly said while pouring coffee one of her working girls brought in. "Santana and Maddog, uh ? Both are as dispicable as one can be. Santana has come in here a time or two. Like the redheads. Maddog, hell, I threw him out for beating my girls. When he tryed to go for his guns, I beat him to it. I would not give ya Confederate paper money for the two of them."

I nodded aproval. "Rat after breakfast, I'll be movin' on, da trail is cold now, but I've got some leads on which way he went." A knock on the door came as I drew my dragoon fast as greased lighting.

"Easy Hawk, It's Wilma, she works for me. She's bring breakfast to us !" Dolly said. I let my dragoon down a bit cause a belly gun could be in her hand under the table cloth. Only when Dolly took the tray did I put my pistol away. "Good Lord Hawk, I have never seen you this jumpy. What's Maddog got hanging over you ?"

I took a deep breath and said to her, "If I don't bring Maddog, alive, to Santana, Santana will kill Whiskey and Big Goose. Whiskey is like kin to me. We have been through the same things, only on differant sides of dis country. She had her first Saloon burned to da ground when Maddog turned his red legged dogs loose on Atlanta, Jawja. When Custer's troops entered my village, killed all the old men and women, and stomped the heads in of da babies. He then burned it to the ground. The braves whar out hunting dat day. Whiskey and me have been through much more than dat together. She's fought along side me as good as any man, nursed me when I was bout cut into, and I did for her.

Big Goose was a sharp shooter in da Confederate Army of Northern Virggie. He taught me how to sharpin' my shootin' skills. We at one time, took turns cuttin feathers off the quils at 40 paces. I taught him how to track and live off Mother Earth. He taught me long range shootin' skills. Both Wiskey and Goose are kin and ifin' I don't bring Maddog back to Santana, dey is good as dead. He's got men watchin' der every move. He's got lots of eyes on the folks I love."

I put the cup to my lips and blew on it as Dolly came over and touched my hand. "Never have I heard you use the word love and friend at the same time, Hawk. Are you willing to die for Whiskey and Big Goose ?" Dolly asked.

I pulled my pants on and looked Dolly in the eye. "You best beleive I am, Dolly !" I said.

"Then I will go along. Not a word out of you Hawk ! I will not stand for it ! And I will not stand for Santana doing this to you ! Now Sir, eat you're breakfast as it will be a long time before we eat this well again. I am going along, and that is that !" Dolly said. She then kissed me. I women dat determind can not be stopped. It is just like a man what will rent pigs. Dis women will be hard to stop !

We finished breakfast and went down stairs to the bar. Dolly went behind it, pulled out a small bottle, dusted it off, pulled the cork and had a long pull from it. And then she passed the bottle to me. I didn't have to think about, I had a long pull also, thus the bottle was empty as I passed it back to her. Dolly walked over to the fire place and threw the bottle into the fire place, breaking it.

"In my family, Hawk,...This seals the deal !" Dolly said.

I nodded in aproval and went through the batwing doors into the very warm and dusty morning. It was going to be a hot one today and in this way, I knew Maddog would have to have water along the way. Although he may have canteens, it was not enought to water his horse. He would have to find a town somewhere along the way. The streams have long since been dryed up. And usless he knows how to live off Mother Earth, or he has ample supplies, he needs to stop at a town.

I had my pack horses ready to go. a I swung up into my saddle, and then adjusted my dragoons, from the alleyway in front of the livery came Dolly, on horse back and leading her own pack horse. If you didn't know her, one would think she was a man. As I recall, this had saved her life a time or two in the past. She was wearing a pair of wooden plow handled Colts, in 45 cal. and in the scarbaord was a lever action carbine, also in 45. Two canteens over the saddle horn and she rode right up to be, big as brass nails.

"Shall we proceed then ?" Dolly said as she spurred her horse. I just shook my head and spurred my horse to take the lead. We rode out, looking for sign as we went. Ihave to give ti to Dolly, she was nearly as good as me when tracking. Nearly as good. Found no sign of him, so we made our way toward the next town along the route he would have had to travel. Maddog didn't burn every town he came to. That would be too much like Atlanta, and he didn't want that. Besides, if the town didn't have some sort of large steady flow of gold coming in and out, he would not een brother to settle there.

The next town up the trail was three days hard riding and that's what we did. We did not stop for dinner, only supper, a quick breakfast and saddle up and ride by day break, and stopping only to water our horses. The horses drank alot as it was hot and dry. Dust clouds could be seen ahead in the distance. But the distance was very far off, more than a days ride.

As we enterd the town, no one seemed to notice us as we rode along. We rode up to the livery stable and tied up. A ypung man, maybe 22 walked up to us. "Howdy...Can I help you folks ?" he asked. I noticed he did not take the reins of my horse. that told me he was no threat.

"Yup," I said."Need a place to satble our animals." I said to him.

"Hummmm, five hosses, just a stable....dat'll be four bits !" he said. I thought I was getting a deal and as he walked away toward his office, I noticed he had a limp.

"You got a name son ? Might just make jawin' a spell lot easier !" I said as I slide the saddle off my Appy.

"Yup, I got a name, it be James." I said with his hand out and a smile across his face.

I took his hand, shaking it hard and with a smile, said "I'm Hawk and dat over der is ..........."

"William Bartheramew " Dolly said in the best manly voice she could muster up and with her head down.

James looked Dolly's way in a strange way and said, "Got a Doc here in town when he anit out deliverin' babies. Fairly cheap too ! He could take care of yur horse voice, Mister ."

"I would not mind ifin' you had seen dis here man around des parts." I said, as I pulled a poster out of my saddle bag.

" You some kind of law ?" James asked.

I nodded. "US Marshal. Ya git shot in da leg in da war, did ya ?" I asked James.

"Yup, rat up in da front ow....didn't even git a shot off before a Yankee ball hit my leg. Damn near had to cut it off, but da Doc here saved it. He follower me here and set up shop. Dis man yur lookin' for. He was here bout two weeks ago. Brought a gray mare from me. His hoss was played out. Rode off northeast !" James said.

"Thank ya much James," I said to him puting more gold in his hand. He looked down at it and wondered abit. "Fer dat information."

I picked the horses hoofs and checked the shoes also. Then we went into the boarding house. Sleeping in a bed was going to be a good thing.

We got up to our room, opened the door with out going inside, just old habit, I guess. Saved my hide many a time. I walked in and went right to the window and looked out. I saw riders coming and going. The Saloon up the street was livey and some shops where still open, most where closed. No place for a ambush. Men would have to be in the open to get a shot off.

"Maddog's men aint no whar round. Wood have to be in dat open and Maddog aint dat dumb !" I said.

There on the bed, curled up in a ball was Dolly, sound asleep, with her clothes still on. I looked down on her and thought that this presents an interesting situration. "What to do !?" I though to myself, "What to do ?!"

I tryed to be as quiet as I could, took a blanket and a pillow, layed it on the floor. Put a rocker next to my make shit bed, and hung my rig up on it. I wanted to able to get to them...just in case.

I removed Dolly's clothing, as best as a gentleman could do, and placed two blankets over her, as it was getting chilly. Could I have taken advantage of this situration ? Most likey, but like I said...I maybe be a gentleman. I layed down on the floor and slepted lighty. Each time I would hear foot steps on the wooden floor, I would wake up ad staer at the door. I grabbed a Dragoon, and layed it across my chest. I must admit, it flet mighty comforting to have it there.

I awkoe in the morning, surpising refreshed to find Dolly propted up on one arm, still laying in the bed, and looking at me. She had a frown on her face and seamed displeased with me.

"Hawk, did you remove my colthing ?" Dolly asked.

I nodded I did, checking the hallway and after that, listening to foot falls getting closer and closer. And I did not feel comfortable at the sound of them.

"May I asked if anything happened between us in the night ?" Dolly asked with the most tempting smile I ever saw. I almost forgot to listen.

I shook my head no and Dolly saw I was listening to the foot falls, trying to be quiet, but not very well covered. I motioned to her to keep talking and then tossed her my other Dragoon. I knew that it was risky, as Dolly was not used to the recoil of them and I was partlicly in the line of fire. It was a risked I was forced to take.

"You mean to tell me, that you removed my clothing and you did not take advantage of this situation, and if not, may I ask you why the hell you did not ?" Dolly shouted at me. The sound of her voice covered the cocking sound and she was aiming about chest high at the door.

The foot falls stopped outside our room door. I nodded to Dolly and she sat up, cross legged on the center of the bed, taking aim.

"THEN, WHY THE HELL NOT ! ! And then the door flew open as if some one unlocked it. One, two then three and then four men rushed to meet their doom. When the smoke cleared, Dolly's dragoon was empty, while mine had two left in it. And my ear hurt as if someone had set fire to it.

I put my hand to my ear and saw a little blood and looked at Dolly.

"I am so sorry about that Hawk. It will not happen again, I promise you !" Dolly said, her hands trebbling from the rush of outlaws and the recoil of the pistol.

"Yur damn rat, it want ! Gonna hold ya to dat promise, Dolly ! " I said. I think da boarding house madam is in on dis. a door's unlocked and dis outlaw has da keys in his hands." I said, as I stood over his lifeless body.

I looked them over and knew most of them. And Dolley saw this look as she got dressed.

"You know these men, don't you Hawk ?" she asked me.

I nodded my head yes, and said, "Yup, most of'em." I walked over to the first one through the door.

"I do not know this man." I said and moved on to the scound man. "Dis man I do know. He's old Hiyes. Kilt many a redman fer no reason...Da Sioux and Apache want 'em and I think I got paper on'em too. " I said. I moved on to the three man, you lay dieing, but not yet dead.

I placed my boot heel over where he was hit and pressed down. He screamed out in pain, so I asked him, "You sent ya ? Who else is involed here ?"

"Go to hell, Hawk !" he cryed out, trying to left my boot heel off his gut.

"You first !" I said and fired the finishing shot into his head, senting white and gray matter flying across the room.

"Dis man is Ole Big Ben, and der his' brother Lyle. Da do not do nothin' alone. One's always got da other's back. Did not help'em dis time. Think I got paper on'em too...from da railroad. Yankee's do not pay fer squat !"

I looked over at Dolly and she was up, in her underwear, handing my dragoon back to me, butt first. "I never heard them coming on us. Just how the hell did you hear them, Hawk ?"

"Do not know, Dolly....Just dat it saved my butt my a time. " I said, as I reloaded my Dragoons and as Dolly got dressed.

As soon as Dolly was dressed, we went down stairs and I looked the owner right in the eye as I tossed her back her keys.

"Dat's why I only bought one night ! Tell yur boss, he's got to do better !" I said in the meanest voice I could muster.

Me and Dolly walked down the street to the cafe and ordered breakfast. I ordered two eggs, steak, gravy, biscuits and coffee. Dolly only had coffee. It was clear this mornings killings had shaken Dolly as she just stared into her coffee.

"How in the hell can you eat after what just happened, Hawk ?" Dolly asked me. Her hands was shaking slighty, and to be truthful, so was my insides. But was not going to show it.

"Cuz I'm hungery women ! Look....I did not ask you along on dis ride. I did what I had to do to save our necks. In dis line of work, so wood you ! Now, no more questions....let me eat my breakfast in peace. You should oreder somrthin'. Gonna be a long hard ride for we come to nother town ."

Dolly just waved her hand in the air. I guess that meant she did'nt want anything to eat. I offered again as I finished up and again she waved her hand in the air. She just stared in her cold coffee.

We saddled up and packed our pack horses, and rode out after I tipped James 5 dollars. A man who wood fight fer da Arny of Northern Virginia will not cheat a man.

As we rode I picked up the trail of the men who tryed to jump us and back tracked the trail as fair as I could see it and then we made camp. I built a small smokeless fire and went to hunt parire ckichens while Dolly made camp. She had made some beans and thick cut bacon along with some busciuts and coffee.

"Best go easy on dat water, Dolly. Hard to find out here, even ifin' ya know what whar lookin' fer. " I said. I put a small log on the fire and started cooking the chickens. "Bacon, biscuits , bacon and chickens...can't git much better da dat on da trail." I said, trying to lighten up the company.

"Hawk, these men that we are after, they are after us too, right ?" Dolly said almost as a matter of fact voice.

"Yup, we're huntin' dem and des is huntin' us ! " I said as I stuffed a small chicken leg and a spoon full of beans into my mouth."Ifin' Maddog's hoolaguns are whar I think dey are, aint gonna be easy smokin' dem out. Dey'll be fortified purty good. Gonna have to sneak to it somehow." I said.

The meal was done, we cleaned up using the sand that was laying about. Serves as a pot scrubber very well. I then went to a dry wash that had a large masquite tree growing there.No more than big brush but out here, it was a tree. I dug a two foot by two foot square hole in the dry wash.

"Is that the bath room, Hawk ?" Dolly asked.

"Nope, it's out yonder. Just dig you a hole, and do yur business, Darlin." I said as I pointed out into the darkness.

She did her business and settled down into her bed role. I took a rope and put it around her bedroll.

"You surley don't beleive in that ole wise tale, do you, Hawk ?" Dolly asked, leaning up on her arm and smiling.

"Well, Aint goona say I do not.....Aint gonna say I do.....but it sure is mighty comfortin'. " I said.

I looked out on the plains to the south and the foot hills to the north. I found myself thinking like I was a Colonel once more. I knew they had the high ground, and they would use it to their advantage. But we had fortifications. We could withstand any attack, and they knew it. But, they could stavre us out. I do not think the enemy has thought of that yet.

I put my Sharps rilfe near the wall on the north side of Adobe Walls. That rifle could reach out and hit someone far off, before they could get a shot off at us. I also had my lever action 45-70 at the window near by. I would use it like my 66 that I had at the door, along with my 87 lever action 12 guage. The enemy would not use the roof, as they knew there was none to use. But, that part of Adobe Walls was dug into a hiull and the dirt dumped just outside the walls. So, the land was much higher there and anybody could sneak in on us. I had trip wired it so that as soon as he would get in, he would be hit was a shot of 00 buckshot. When his partner came in, taking a step, he would get the other shell.

Near Dolly's postion, I had put my other 66 rilfe and the other shotgun, also loaded with 00 buckshot. She had the bandages, and a small fire with a piece pf iron in the fire, just in case one of us gets it. Both of us had side arms. I had a brace of Dragoons, converted to 44-40. Dolly had a brace of 38's.

"Dolly, git some sleep. I'll take first watch and you spell it after while." I said to her.

She slide into her bed roll and asked me, "We going to make it through this, Hawk ?"

"We shore will, Dolly. You can take dat to da bank ! Don't you fret none Dolly,ow git some sleep, ok ?" I said.

Dolly nodded, and settled down in her bedroll. I scaned the area with my sights to see what was out there. Just a small fire, far off. "IT must be dem !" I thought to myself. None, but just a dog, with his meal in his mouth. The moon was bright, so bright you could read a book by it. That was bad for us, as they could seen nuff to ride, ifin' they was so incline. But the brightness helped us by putting us in total darkness.

I was about to get Dolly to spell me. and that's when I seen it. "MOVEMENT !" I said. I watched intently as the shaps moved from the foot hills to just out of range of my 66's but not my Sharps. "A rouge ! No one gives up high ground !" I said. Dolly was wake now and I told her, "Wait till you see da white's of der eyes and fire !"

Then I saw a mass of me, on horse back in the distance, I knew they where oout of range for my 66, but not for my Sharps. I picked it up, put a round in and aimed, and touched off the round. The smoke cleared in the slight breeze and I saw a man fall. The battle had started. The dark mass out in the distance stopped laughing and took cover behind the hills.

I heard Dolly fiing her 66. She was holding her own, but she soon would be over run if I did not just in. So I did. "Comancheros !" I say. I knew that they could kill thier on mothers. They where mean, ruthless and needed killing badly. Me and Dolly where giving that to them. I them heard the mule eared shotgun exploed.Some one had reyed to get the drop on us ! And he payed the price for his folly. I had to get back to my wall.

I saw my targets on the move also. Going from hill to hill, I had no clear shot, long range or other wise. There was 200 yards of flat land between the last hill and the Adobe Walls. That will be where I take them down. That's when I heard the sound of the 2nd barrel of my mule ear going off. And then Dolly scearmed. She had been hit in the chest. I took her in my arms to study her and said to her, "Easy now ." I reached for the white hot iron and said "Dis is gonna hurt like hell !" and layed the white hot iron to her wound. Her nails made my red arms bleed and she screamed out again. The look she had in her eyes , I will not forget. I started to lay her down but she got back up. "You need me as much as I need you !" and took my 66 and started to fire.

Maddog's men made a rush for me, but with my 66, I took care of them .Men lay dead or dieing all about us, but I dould not keep thier numbers from over running our postion. I was firing as fast as I could, any weapon I could reach, but still they came till a few of them dragged my out of the Walls and others had they're way with Dolly. I heard her scream the scream that sent chills throught my soul. I knew those men was raping her !

The four men where carring me out, heading for the barrel catus and the pickly pear catus. I had no idea what was on they're minds but I knew I could not let this happen.............not again ! Dolly screamed out again and I shook off my left arm, drew my fighting knife out of my boot and sliced the hand of the outlaw carring me. He dropped my foot in pain and I then spin the two men holding my arms to get free of them, all the while I heard Dolly screaming again. Her screams where adding fuel to my rage !

I put my knife deep into the man who was holding my right arm, drawing my razor sharp fighting knnife up from his navel to his bottom jaw, blood was flying all over. I then cut the thorat of the next man, and put my knife deep into big mouth's belly, while I threw my knife at the young man running away. It found it's mark, and he fell in a heap.

I got my knife out of his back and saw the outlaw I stabbed heading for the Walls. But just then a blast from my lever action 87 shotgun cut him two. I ran into the Adobe Walls, saw three men on the floor, bleeding to death. I pinned one to the sand and asked, You da one what shot her, did you ?" He smiles and said, "Yup, I did....and alot more too !"

I looked deep into evil's eyes and shouted, "Yur scalp aint firt fer no man's lodge pole !" and with both hands I buryed my bloody fighting knife into his brain thru his eye.........damn those eyes ! So I cut the other out as well. The fight had ended as it had started. I walked among the dead men. And had fash backs about the war...I was walking among dead Federal boys, their cannons had fallen quiet and our boys where taking them. The air was thick with the acidity and suferic smell of black powder,...the smell of fresh blood,.....the moans of the dieing was missing, but I srill heard them in a far off place. Dolly snapped me out of it.

" Hawk.....I need help !" and crumbled to the ground. That's when I fleted an arrow go into my back, up high, and near my spine. In pain, I whieled around, picking up a colt, I faned it.....putting six rounds into the brave. I ran to the Walls and with a move, I snapped the arrow shaft off, but still part of the shift and arrow head remained. I scopped up Dolly and looked her over. She looked ok, all but that bullet in her chest. She was out cold, so I used what was left of our water to wash off the blade of my scalping knife, and with the Ancient Ones watching, I dug the bullet out of her and put the hot iron to her chest again.

I rounded up three horses, truned the rest out, inculding ours. I made a travouis, to carry Dolly into town, and put it on the pack horse as I was able to gether enough supplies to make it back to Whiskey's town ....a three days ride. "Hang on Dolly please. I'll get ya help,...I swear !" I must have blacked out, because it was dark when I awoke. I was cold and hungery. It's normal for me to feel this way. I slipped off my horse, right onto the ground on my knees. I heard my Father's voice saying..."Back on yur feet son......Never admit deaft.....fight on !

I rose up and checked on Dolly. She was still out, but she was breathing. I patted her on her hand and told her, "You'll be alright, Dolly...Even ifin' I have to die doin' it....Yur gonna be alright." I reached into my pack and finding some jerky I ate it while leading my Appy. My back was in pure and simple hell.....pain was almost unbareable, but I still pressed on. "Whiskey's Saloon...Gotta get to........"

Archived