SASS Wire Forum

Where to Get Grips

DocWard

With money being tight, I ended up selling my .45 Cattleman revolvers and Model 92 to my brother. That leaves me with a pair of .357 Taurus Gauchos that I am hopeful will work for me for awhile, as I don't see being able to afford much other than bullets for the foreseeable future.

The only complaint I currently have with the Gauchos are the grips on them. They're black plastic and a little small in my hand. I was wondering the best place to look for a pair of walnut grips for them. Nothing fancy, just something that will fit my hands a bit better and look better sitting in my holsters than what are on them.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Jack.

They even have a phone number so I can call instead of using this new-fangled computer thing. I will need to call since they don't mention the Taurus specifically. I'm not positive if the grips are the same as those on the Colt and clones or not.

Almost any grips you buy will require fitting. The chances of getting a set that fit great are not good. Getting some that fit so-so but are acceptable to you is slightly better. Fitting grips isn't too difficult and there are instructions available here and there on the web if they don't come with the grips. So if you buy a set of wood grips that are already finished, fitting them to the gripframe will go through the finish and you will need to refinish them, so keep that in mind if you buy a set that have a finish on them. Fitting a set of fake ivory will only require some polishing of the grips if that makes it any easier.

I'm not adverse to having some fitted, although I am not sure I am the person to do it. I just want to know that they will work with the Taurus to begin with. I've always been partial to wood, even though these are stainless revolvers. Since my rig is cordovan with silver, thanks to the hard work of EE Taft, I think walnut and stainless will look sharp in those holsters too.

Doc, I've got a pair of Gauchos and I put a set of imitation stag on em from GRIPMAKER Course I had to do some fitting on em. Larry will send you a panel to practice on if you ask when you order.

With money being tight, I ended up selling my .45 Cattleman revolvers and Model 92 to my brother. That leaves me with a pair of .357 Taurus Gauchos that I am hopeful will work for me for awhile, as I don't see being able to afford much other than bullets for the foreseeable future.

The only complaint I currently have with the Gauchos are the grips on them. They're black plastic and a little small in my hand. I was wondering the best place to look for a pair of walnut grips for them. Nothing fancy, just something that will fit my hands a bit better and look better sitting in my holsters than what are on them.

Thanks in advance.

eBay

SidneyRyanEngravingScrimshawArtist

Great stuff .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/147-Ruger-New-Model-Vaquero-Spanish-Checker-IP-Grips-/260810749727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb988371f

Doc, I've got a pair of Gauchos and I put a set of imitation stag on em from GRIPMAKER Course I had to do some fitting on em. Larry will send you a panel to practice on if you ask when you order.

Do the Gauchos take the same grips as Colts and the clones?

Do the Gauchos take the same grips as Colts and the clones?

I think so, but It's been so long since I bought em Doc I can't say with certainty. But Larry will know for sure.

I think so, but It's been so long since I bought em Doc I can't say with certainty. But Larry will know for sure.

Thanks!

Archived