SASS Wire Forum

wireless computer access

Guest Chief

I have just in the last two month shifted my computer service to Verison wireless. It is just not working, computers have been in the shop and are in fine shape. We keep losing the internet connection, verison has been out 3 times and reset the little box, their tech service did it again over the phone today, The problem is not consent,it started out making the computers steadly slower, may kick y ou off at any time.maybe 3 min after going and sometimes can not get on internet, My lap top will work perfectly if I am away from my house at least 1/2 mile, but their tech keep telling me there is no signal problem. If any of you are computer savy would like some advice. Thanks Chief

Is the "little black box" getting overly warm to the touch? Resets usually are needed when things get a mite too warm. How many times has Verizon changed out the "little black box"? If they haven't, then that should be the first thing to be done. If they repute that - then change "them" out. From what you've said - it ain't you and yours that's having the problem.

Presido: Thanks for the reply,The box is not getting hot, I Insisted that they change the box and they did. Version people are the ones that set everything up,I insisted that they do it as I am not much with computers, Guns& Cars are a diff thing. Chief

Well, I ain't cliaming to be much on 'puter knowledge meownself. Most times I just stumble my way through a process of setting up. Example - took me three days to figure out how to find my own IP address on my laptop so I could wireless sync my palm tungsten to windows 7.

I'm sure someone with more tech savvy will chime in here.

I was gonna suggest perhaps a 'deaf" modem as well.

But if it's been changed, then perhaps your system is NOT as clean as you think. My brother had a problem when he used Time Warner's "all in one" cable/phone/internet. It kept kicking out, the phone going dead, etc. Turned out some worm or other bug had taken over his PC and was using it as a server to send spam emails several times a day. It didn't do it constantly, but for 3 or 4 minutes every half hour or so. The system would sense the high traffic through his PC and "throttle" the bandwidth enough to interfere with legit use, and even cause the phone modem to drop out.

There bandwidth may not be big enough to handle all of the wireless devices you have up and running at the same time. (phone, computer, cell phone). Try turning off the wireless on everything except the computer and see if that makes a difference. If so, the system they have is sub-par.

Also, what is the signal level at your PC? If there is too much space or obstacles, the signal is deteriorated.

Other devices can also cause interference - such as TV's, wireless phones, microwave ovens, etc.

Your Verizon folks should be able to see the signal quality as well as the traffic level on your network.

My first guess is that it is your signal.... I know that they say it is OK... but if your laptop works good 1/2 mile from the house, it seems like signal to me...

Also, bandwidth can certainly be a problem with a wireless connection too.

Snakebite

If your wireless router is more than a year or so old, it may be behind the times and not getting it done. I had a linksys that now would only be 2 years old, but it was forever dropping the printer or my laptop. Signal showed 3 bars on the lappie, but it'd choke. I bought a new one (looked the same that kinda rounded disc shaped blue box), but was the next level in terms of advertised strength and next price tier, about $75, and that helped. I also at some point moved the router away from the "main" PC, mounting it on the wall as high as possible. It "shoots through" the house and my shop much better than the old one, giving 4 or 5 bars most of the time, and NEVER drops any devices.

Thanks for all the input, I finally noticed that when it went off that the box indicated standby,just got off the phone with them and am supposed to get a different type of box monday,Monday is their last chance and I have made it very clear thatI was not going to pay a cancelation fee as I have already dropped almost $600.00 in to this due to having my computers gone through every time it went out. Thanks again for all the input Chief

Chief, just wanted to add a comment. We had much the same problem when we started with Verizon. Turns out the tower we were accessing just couldn't handle all the demands from all the Verizon customers. (I finally found a technician that actually new something.) They made some changes to the equipment at the tower and the problem dissapeared. Good luck. :) :)

Oz Captain: I really think that you hit the problem on the head, had questioned them about the loads and signal and of course was told everything is fine. Monday is the dead line for them. Thanks Chief

It is most likely your location as I have had Verizon for almost 5 years for all my service. I have had Verizon phones for 8 years and they have worked all over the US. I was in Quebec and my phone was the only one that worked out of 3 other services. When it came time to purchase my first lap top I went with the Verizon installed card as it is 5MB for just $50 a month. I have yet found a area that my laptop did not work.

Now I did have a problem with the number that they assigned to my PC and it and the card had to be changed but that was at start up.

There is a program by the name of Mechanic that is the best I have found for keeping your pc clean of cookies and virus problems that will bog you down to where you can't even go on line.

As the others have posted you need to ask the Verizon staff about your signal strength in your area and if they have a overload problem.

I have tried all the other services over the past 12 years and Verizon has them all beat.

Matthew has a point! I had a G router that dropped my internet connection every time my wife answered the phone ( cordless, not cell). Switched to an N router and never had a problem again.

Archived